Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ive tried to enquire about this before, from what ive been told, you cant just make an appointment with a dermatologist, you have to have a referral from a gp, the waiting lists are quite long and theyre really expensive, they also don't provide treatments like a skin clinic does.
    Im open to correction, would love to know if anyone regularly goes to a dermatologist for treatments, ive yet to meet someone who does.

Yeah that would be fairly accurate based on my experience. I had to get a referral from a GP and was waiting a good few months for an appointment. They prescribed medication but no skin treatments or product recommendation.

I went because I had acne and their first port of call was to try to put me on Accutane which frightened the life out of me as while my skin was bad, I don’t think it was anywhere near bad enough to warrant Accutane.
    At my insistence they allowed me to try another medication first and I went about getting myself sorted at a skincare clinic, about 6 months of monthly treatments cleared my skin right up. I’m delighted I never went on the Accutane and can’t say my experience with the dermatologist was all that positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Generally yes a GP would be the first visit and yes depending on your area the wait lists can be long. You should ask your therapist for a recommendation. She would have to know, maybe someone she trained with, trained under.

There are of course things you can take. Vit C has been shown to be really beneficial for rosacea.

Advanced Nutrition Skin Accumax for acne too.
    Retinol also.

Unfortunately some GP's seem to reach for hard core meds too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

I was getting a lazer treatment for rosacea. Theres only one other skin clinic here that does it and I dont want to go to them.

A dermatologist (or GP, if you can convince them) could prescribe Skinoren (Azelaic Acid) for rosacea. A lot of companies also sell the 10% formulation over the counter now (The Ordinary and Face Theory are the cheapest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

A dermatologist (or GP, if you can convince them) could prescribe Skinoren (Azelaic Acid) for rosacea. A lot of companies also sell the 10% formulation over the counter now (The Ordinary and Face Theory are the cheapest).

Thanks, tbh my rosacea only acts up occasionally, I mostly have it under control with skincare and I use Rosex if it gets overwhelming but that rarely happens, Its not so bad that I need allot of products. I get the lazer treatment occasionally really just for redness.
    I like that esthetician as she is really knowledgeable and she knows my skin so well. She uses this mask after the treatment that cools and stops the skin from going too red and she does only as much as she needs to in certain areas of my face.
    Ive had it done somewhere else and they made a mess of the treatment, I left the clinic with a bright red face that took days to calm down.
    The other clinic in my town is a nightmare to deal with, I asked about the treatment there 2 years but they wouldnt give to me, gave me a skin consultation and told me I need a series of skin peels and I should be using an acid cleanser, bought one on their recommendation, said id think about the skin peels, the cleanser they recommended flared my skin up so much I had to go to my doctor.
    Turns out skin peels are not suitable for my skin type at all and would have caused more problems.
    Skin clinics are so hit and miss, I just found one that I love and raging now, I have to go through the trial and error phase again.

But thank you for the recommendation, I will look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Airyfairy is it laser or ipl you get done? Its so tough when a really good clinic/aesthetician is no longer available, when you've been able to trust them for so long. Cause like you say, it is so hit and miss with some of the skin clinics and they can try to push products on you depending on where you go. A lot of the clinics have product "advice/prescription" as part of their initial consultation, which is fine if you need certain products to compliment/facilitate the treatments, eg spf, vit c serum, but often they will push an entire line of products as part of that consultation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Heard from hair salon, hair appointment next week. Yay. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s great how most people seem to be getting seen nice and early. I was fully prepared for having to wait until the end of July for some things but it’s great to get it in on week one.

We'll all be sitting around with our great hair and nowhere to go still :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't bother ringing my salon, because I did not want to waste the whole day on the phone. They are clearly not going to contact me anyway!

I think I will leave it a while before getting in touch, or else find another hairdresser. It might be time for a change. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Has anyone found that some hairdressers aren't reopening? my salon hasn't posted a thing on social media since the notice they were closing temporarily due to covid. Nothing on Facebook since March, no mention of waitlists and no posts since the government announced hairdressers could reopen. The phone just rings out and there's been no reply to private messages. seriously worried now that they won't reopen and trying to get in anywhere else at this point is gonna be very hard due to the demand.

• Advertisement

Have you tried emailing them? I know some were only responding via email as they weren’t in the salons in order to answer the phones. Although if they’re not updating their social media that’s not a good sign :/

Have you tried emailing them? I know some were only responding via email as they weren’t in the salons in order to answer the phones. Although if they’re not updating their social media that’s not a good sign :/

No email or website available, just social media and the landline. Have tried Instagram and Facebook and the landline since reopening was given the governmental go ahead and to be honest, I'm starting to get that sinking feeling that radio silence is a very bad sign. Absolutely dreading having to find a new hairdresser in post-covid madness. it's hard enough in normal times!

Ive been wanting to change salons for awhile, the hairdresser I go to is very reasonably priced and great at what she does but she is so rude, it's awkward sitting in the chair with her for an hour trying to make small talk.

You might be lucky, ive seen a number of salons state they will be opening for longer hours and extra days also there are hairdressers on nearly every street, surely all of them cant be fully booked beyond the first week.

Ive been wanting to change salons for awhile, the hairdresser I go to is very reasonably priced and great at what she does but she is so rude, it's awkward sitting in the chair with her for an hour trying to make small talk.

You might be lucky, ive seen a number of salons state they will be opening for longer hours and extra days also there are hairdressers on nearly every street, surely all of them cant be fully booked beyond the first week.

If she's rude and you're uncomfortable, definitely change! you're paying good money for that service. and it's only gonna get more awkward with no magazines to be distracted by.

TBH, it's not only the hassle of finding someone with a free slot, it's of finding someone you'd trust to do a good job.

If she's rude and you're uncomfortable, definitely change! you're paying good money for that service. and it's only gonna get more awkward with no magazines to be distracted by.

TBH, it's not only the hassle of finding someone with a free slot, it's of finding someone you'd trust to do a good job.

I know, its the trial and error phase, tbh that's why I stayed with her as she was good.
    I tried somewhere different a months back but the whole experience was horrible, the hairdresser put me sitting right at the window facing a busy street, obviously to make it look like the place was busy as there where plenty of empty seats she could have put me sitting in.
    I left with more split ends than I had when I went in and was roped into getting a ridiculously priced hair treatment that did nothing.

Id suggest staying away from any of the big names like Peter Marks and look up salons in your area on facebook, have a look at their photos and reviews, sometimes small and independent hairdressers do the best work.
    Also, just to add, small/independant hair salons are less likely to push treatments/products etc on you as they dont have the same pressure from the salon owners to reach goals each week.

Do you know anyone who might be able to put in a word for you with their hairdresser? I know some aren’t taking new clients but you might get lucky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd suggest staying away from any of the big names like Peter Marks and look up salons in your area on facebook, have a look at their photos and reviews, sometimes small and independent hairdressers do the best work.
    That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of moving away from PM. Also, it's hard to get the same stylist for each visit, so there's a lack of consistency.

Posy wrote: »
    That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of moving away from PM. Also, it's hard to get the same stylist for each visit, so there's a lack of consistency.

Yeah I agree with this completely, it makes such a difference when you see the same stylist as they know your hair and what you want done.

Ya, the likes of Peter Mark never impressed me. it's all very conveyor belt like on top of being expensive. I think I'll have to go looking for recommendations. and price lists.

Ya, the likes of Peter Mark never impressed me. it's all very conveyor belt like on top of being expensive. I think I'll have to go looking for recommendations. and price lists.

I used to feel this way and travelled an hour into town for one particular hairdressers even though I wasn't even mad on her- til one time I needed a root touch up before a holiday and could only get a slot that suited in my local PM and the woman was amazing. Been seeing her for 4 years now and feel so lucky that I just happened upon her when I was desperate, and she's only 5 minutes away from me too!

She gives so much time to discussing what I want, how I will style/maintain it, what the long term plan might be with whatever colour I'm considering, tries to plan my appointments around when they have their colour offers on.... she's just fab. And she doesnt try to make small talk, we have polite chat at the beginning and end but she knows that I'm there to read my magazines unless we getting chatting naturally! She's fab, so if someone recommends a specific stylist in a bigger chain, I'd give them a chance as they're probably an exception to the rule.

The price can be very high though, hence my balayage now after years of full head highlights :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I've been with PM years and the same girl does my hair each time. It is expensive but she knows me and knows what way i want it cut and highlighted so will stick with her for as long as she's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I will have to look for a new hairdresser now too because mine is in the city centre and getting there is just no longer feasible for me in the current climate. Particularly because I will have to go for a patch test beforehand too. I have been attending the same place for 10 years and same girl for the past 3 years (previous girl left), and have been very happy, but I will have to find somewhere locally. I'm happy to wait a few weeks longer but I fear I will find it difficult to get anywhere. I usually get colour and cut every 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

One reason I love my hairdresser is that she doesn't attempt small talk with me. She knows by now that I'm much happier to just sit there and read my book for the couple of hours.

I do see her chatting away with other customers, so obviously she knows which of her customers do and don't enjoy small talk, and acts accordingly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We've had confirmation here in the UK that salons can open from July 4th, so now I'm just sitting here, staring at my phone, willing my hairdresser to make contact :D. I don't even mind waiting a week or two, I would be happy to just have a date booked in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Had a call from local beauty salon, booked in for hair removal week after next.. They want a patch test for tinting though which they will do at that appointment. Fair enough at least they are doing it! . No text or call back from my hairdresser, ended up doing my own roots last night with root touch up came out quite well!! I’ve done my own pedicure and leave my fingers bare and rub in oil every day. My nails have never been better.I will probably spend a lot less on treatments after this, made me realize I can manage some of it by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Any recommendations for Botox in Dublin? I live very close to the city but work south side so I can go anywhere! Its new to me, never had it done before but literally thinking about it for about 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Be right back

I have an appointment for my hairdresser in a month's time! Earliest one I could get.

Just saw on facebook that a local GP is doing botox and filler again. Ive been thinking about getting under eye fillers for months, just feel that part of my face has gotten a bit hollow and more liny than id like. Has anyone tried filler in this area before? Im desperate to try it but afraid ill end up looking like an alien!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any recommendations for Botox in Dublin? I live very close to the city but work south side so I can go anywhere! Its new to me, never had it done before but literally thinking about it for about 5 years.

http://doctor1618.ie

Few people on here including me have used these guys

• Advertisement

Just saw on facebook that a local GP is doing botox and filler again. Ive been thinking about getting under eye fillers for months, just feel that part of my face has gotten a bit hollow and more liny than id like. Has anyone tried filler in this area before? Im desperate to try it but afraid ill end up looking like an alien!

I'd also like to know this! I looked into it before and was told mesotherapy (?) might be a less invasive treatment. I'm worried about the swelling/bruising!

Advertisement