Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,726 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Peter Mark price increases

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Just saw on facebook that a local GP is doing botox and filler again. Ive been thinking about getting under eye fillers for months, just feel that part of my face has gotten a bit hollow and more liny than id like. Has anyone tried filler in this area before? Im desperate to try it but afraid ill end up looking like an alien!

The potential for complications from tear trough filler are a lot higher which is why this service is not widely performed.

I would only go to a plastic surgeon for this procedure, personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good news: I have a hair appointment booked!

Bad news: it’s not for 4 weeks :(

My hairdresser was only ever part time, and it seems like the salon is so small that she’s going down to one really long day a week as part of social distancing, which will be a Friday. Technically I’m seeing her on her second day back, but the way it works out is it’ll be mid-July.

But I don’t mind too much, it’s booked in now at least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

At least you have something to look forward to Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My hairdresser had contacted regular clients about 2 weeks ago during the lockdown asking for our information -what we need done,preferred stylist,availability and if we had done any at home hairdressing.

I got a phone call today and now I'm booked in for 9.30 on Monday morning!I'm taking a half day from work (even though I'm working from home) and I can't wait to feel like myself again.I know the actual salon experience will be no craic because I dislike wearing my masks but it'll be worth it. :)

Hope everyone else can be fitted in soon. Now I've to sort my laser top ups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Luckily I have long brown hair and no roots so I can dye it myself but I'd love to shake it up and get highlights. No chance getting an appointment in my salon for weeks so I'm thinking of doing it myself.
    Last time I tried lightening my hair at home was a disaster! I used Sun-in and it turned bright orange.
    That said, I was a teenager.
    Anybody tried this at home or is it far too risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Booked in for manicure and pedicure next Friday and brows next Saturday. So happy I might explode. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Porklife wrote: »
    Luckily I have long brown hair and no roots so I can dye it myself but I'd love to shake it up and get highlights. No chance getting an appointment in my salon for weeks so I'm thinking of doing it myself.
    Last time I tried lightening my hair at home was a disaster! I used Sun-in and it turned bright orange.

Highlights are the one thing I would never attempt at home to be honest. Especially as you are brunette as you’ll likely need a toner too. At home kits just don’t have the properties that can elevate the blonde to the proper level needed, so you’ll likely be left with yellow streaks that will eventually turn orange. Not only that but the whole procedure is tricky to do too. I know professional hairdressers who can’t even highlight their own hair, they usually ask another stylist to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I have never dyed my hair, but know from watching Brad Mondo videos on youtube, home highlighting rarely goes well (for example)

I have never dyed my hair, but know from watching Brad Mondo videos on youtube, home highlighting rarely goes well (for example)

I love Brad Mondo <3

I love all of his reactions to quarantine hair experiments!

But yes, I have learned from experience, blonde is best left to the professionals. Especially if you're lightening dark hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I wouldn't risk it personally. Home dyeing is one thing, but lightening is another.

Booked in for manicure and pedicure next Friday and brows next Saturday. So happy I might explode. :D:D

Also booked in for brows! Mine are an absolute disgrace at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can’t wait to get mine done too, I absolutely butchered mine :(

I had a lovely full fluffy brows but I couldn’t tweeze them so I ordered one of those electric hair trimmer things on Amazon.
    I got a bit too excited with it and my brows now look like upside down Nike ticks, they’re vicious looking.
    I can soften them out with products so they look nice and full but without makeup I probably look like I’d rob your nans handbag.
    Hope something can be done to fix them while they grow back out!

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I can’t wait to get mine done too, I absolutely butchered mine :(

I had a lovely full fluffy brows but I couldn’t tweeze them so I ordered one of those electric hair trimmer things on Amazon.
    I got a bit too excited with it and my brows now look like upside down Nike ticks, they’re vicious looking.
    I can soften them out with products so they look nice and full but without makeup I probably look like I’d rob your nans handbag.
    Hope something can be done to fix them while they grow back out!

Upsidedown Nike ticks ðŸ˜႒

Thanks for all the highlighting advice, I won't be trying this at home! I've had my fill of home hair disasters.
    I remember watching the Madonna frozen video and thinking she looked beautiful so I ran over and bought black dye. Well, let's just say they didn't call me Morticia Adams and Robert Smith at school for nothing!

Have you guys heard of any salons reopening for facials etc.? I know there's a thousand reasons why they wouldn't do facials but am curious if any are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I was sorry to hear today that Sam McCauley's isn't reopening its beauty salons, and hope that anyone affected finds new employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have you guys heard of any salons reopening for facials etc.? I know there's a thousand reasons why they wouldn't do facials but am curious if any are

I’m booked in for a massage - back and neck in bits - can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Theyre opening on the 29th, same as hairdressers. I just booked an eyebrow thread and facial for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Right, all appointments made. Over the next couple of weeks, I am getting hair cut coloured and highlighted. Eyebrow wax and LVL lashes. Manicure. Pedicure. Swedish massage. Laser hair removal. And getting a tattoo finished.

Very fond of myself, I am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Ladies I feel very behind! I've made zero appointments so far.

I've decided I'm not going back to getting my nails done (just Shellac), well not for the time being anyway. Maybe when I'm living a busier life again and regularly in town I might go back, but right now I don't see the point.

My hair is its natural colour and could certainly do with a trim, but its hardly urgent. I've gone from washing my hair every other day to washing it only every 5ish days so thats helping with the condition.

I've been using my epilator so no need for waxing. The only thing is lash extensions but again I've not been rushing back for those either for some reason.

I also thought I'd be quicker getting back to the shops but I've still not gone into town. I've no real desire to go to Dundrum, think I'd prefer to go to Grafton St but it still hasn't happened. I think I've just gotten a little comfy at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I am in Continental Europe, here hairdressers opened weeks ago - but I held out and only went last Saturday for a haircut and blow dry.

Process was: mandatory gel at the entrance, I wore my mask throughout, so did the hairdresser.
    When chatting, she commented that for her it is very uncomfortable to wear the mask the whole day, expecially during the blow dry as it gets so hot.

Happy I had my haircut, although I did not mind the longer lenght and I was able to manage it. Hair was not in bad condition as I always use monoi oil on the ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'm going to hold off a while - lucky enough not to have greys so I'll leave the spot to someone who really needs it and hopefully go to the salon when its not too busy.

Saw some hairdressers are open for 12 hour days to accomodate clients - won't be easy with the masks and PPE for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

SozBbz wrote:
    I've gone from washing my hair every other day to washing it only every 5ish days so thats helping with the condition.

Impressive! Can usually get away with 2-3 days max, but find when I need a haircut badly my hair is soaked in grease by the 2nd day. Even my hair knows when it needs seeing to!

I stupidly box dyed my hair last night and it turned copper. It's disgusting. I don't want to go to the hairdressers as others need it more etc but can anyone recommend anything? It's this horrible warm copper dead colour. The box said ash brown. I thought ash neutralised copper so I don't understand why this happened. My hair before was just normal brown. Why did I do this :(
    I was bored yesterday and decided to change the shade. It's horrible. If I dye it again will it go dark again? I hate box dye. It's false advertising. You can't possibly claim the colour will be as advertised cos everyone's hair is different and will react differently. Someone who has never dyed their hair or someone with a slight red pigment etc. will respond differently so box dye is bull**** :(

Impressive! Can usually get away with 2-3 days max, but find when I need a haircut badly my hair is soaked in grease by the 2nd day. Even my hair knows when it needs seeing to!

Yeah I would have said the same... you just have to push through it a few times and then it gets better. I wear by hair down for the first 2/3 days and then its up for the rest of the time. My hair is quite long, so I find a low pony is nice too, and I actually prefer my hair up on Zoom calls, when I wear it down it kinda dominates everything and I feel I look a bit like Morticia Adams.

Products like dry shampoo and sheets that soak up oil are helpful too.

I stupidly box dyed my hair last night and it turned copper. It's disgusting. I don't want to go to the hairdressers as others need it more etc but can anyone recommend anything? It's this horrible warm copper dead colour. The box said ash brown. I thought ash neutralised copper so I don't understand why this happened. My hair before was just normal brown. Why did I do this :(
    I was bored yesterday and decided to change the shade. It's horrible. If I dye it again will it go dark again? I hate box dye. It's false advertising. You can't possibly claim the colour will be as advertised cos everyone's hair is different and will react differently. Someone who has never dyed their hair or someone with a slight red pigment etc. will respond differently so box dye is bull**** :(

I bet it's not as bad as you think, it's probably just the change that is startling. Also home dyes can be a bit drying so that's probably why the colour looks dead. I'd say after the next wash or two it should settle down. In the meantime, maybe a clarifying shampoo and extra conditioning might help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

ams wrote: »
    I'm going to hold off a while - lucky enough not to have greys so I'll leave the spot to someone who really needs it and hopefully go to the salon when its not too busy.

Saw some hairdressers are open for 12 hour days to accomodate clients - won't be easy with the masks and PPE for sure.

Thats one of the most selfless acts i have ever witnessed

I bet it's not as bad as you think, it's probably just the change that is startling. Also home dyes can be a bit drying so that's probably why the colour looks dead. I'd say after the next wash or two it should settle down. In the meantime, maybe a clarifying shampoo and extra conditioning might help

Thank you Lotus..but is there any way of changing the colour and making it dark again? I don't know what to do..it's orange.. well.. probably more copper than orange but it's dry and porous and straw. I had nice hair yesterday. This is why you shouldn't mess with home dye. Ash brown...come on! Ash brown should be at least brown..not ****ing orange...I'm so pissed off

Thank you Lotus..but is there any way of changing the colour and making it dark again? I don't know what to do..it's orange.. well.. probably more copper than orange but it's dry and porous and straw. I had nice hair yesterday. This is why you shouldn't mess with home dye. Ash brown...come on! Ash brown should be at least brown..not ****ing orange...I'm so pissed off

Oh I don't know what to suggest. I would just get myself to a hairdresser as soon as I can. Trying to fix it yourself could make it worse and it could end up costing even more? From what I understand you've used a product with some sort of bleaching agent in it which has given you the orange colour as its stripped pigment from your hair. If you insist on trying to fix it, you're probably best on going with something with no bleach (like a semi or a toner) although it would need near constant topping up as those colours only ever last a few washes..... but regardless, from what you've described you're going to be left with a root so I'd really just seek professional intervention now.

Can I ask what possessed you to box dye now that salon opening is within reach? Were you trying to cover greys/roots or was it purely the devil making work for idle hands?

• Advertisement

Was it a lighter colour than your natural hair? Id imagine its the lightener that has lifted your natural colour. When lifting dark hair it will go orange. How dark was your natural hair? I'm just wondering would the moroccan oil colour depositing mask be too dark for you? I wouldnt use any other colour/dye on it while its already damaged so best thing would be a conditioner/mask with a non damaging pigment that adds colour to the surface of the hair rather than a chemical dye.

Advertisement