Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yipee I feel like a new woman!!!

I always like getting my hair done but today is best yet apart from whole weird new experience in hairdressers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The best part is my fella had a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge when I got home to “celebrate you not going on about your hair anymore”. It was a good day :D

Definitely a keeper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Finally got my nails done today, check out how talented my girl is!! These are hand-painted, she is unreal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The best part is my fella had a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge when I got home to “celebrate you not going on about your hair anymore”. It was a good day :D

That’s so cute!!!

My hairdresser finally rang today. Booked in 31st July

Pray for me

Funny thing is I already got a bit of a lift just from knowing when I’m in. I actually cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Finally got my nails done today, check out how talented my girl is!! These are hand-painted, she is unreal! :)

Wowza...they are gorgeous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nails and waxing done yesterday, hair today. I feel like myself again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Anyone know when Benefit brow bar will be opening again? State of the eyebrows on me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Got the hair done this week. Roots (which were easily 2" long if not more), full head of highlights, wash, toner, cut and GHD curls. Took an hour longer than usual and no increase in price.
    I took on board what others had said here and left a very generous tip.
    Only thing I missed was my usual cuppa and nice biscuits, other than that it was a very pleasant experience.
    Swanned around the town after, I felt like a million dollars after it.

^^^ same, feel human again :pac:
    Fantastic experience, salon booked up but at less than half its old capacity. They were amazing, seemed to take every precaution very very seriously, very professional. Apart from the coffee etc only thing missing was some of the chats you'd have with other clients, stylists were obviously a little quieter, but seemed really happy to be back.

Any my nails. Finally. :)

Lot of excitement for me in one day though, should have spaced it out a bit. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got an appointment for the week after next, can't wait! :D

I'm going to buy a take away coffee on the way in, and something to nibble on while I wait to 'develop', if that's allowed! And I'll bring a book, and maybe a trashy magazine, to keep me occupied- to make it all feel as normal as possible.

For those that have been in already, could you still tip/pay in cash?

Foweva Awone, those nails are incredible!! Wow. :eek:

• Advertisement

For some reason I generally pay with card but tip with cash, I feel like they're more likely to get the full tip if it's cash. Not even sure of my logic there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I was at the hairdressers today, paid with card tipped with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Posy wrote: »
    I got an appointment for the week after next, can't wait! :D

I'm going to buy a take away coffee on the way in, and something to nibble on while I wait to 'develop', if that's allowed! And I'll bring a book, and maybe a trashy magazine, to keep me occupied- to make it all feel as normal as possible.

For those that have been in already, could you still tip/pay in cash?

Foweva Awone, those nails are incredible!! Wow. :eek:

Check with the salon, but a lot of places aren’t allowing food or drink in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hair appointment for next Saturday and I can not wait, I was told I can bring my own drink which I do anyway and own books/magazines. I’m not sure if there is a price increase but I’ll definitely be leaving a tip :)

^Those nails are beautiful and she is talented :)

I got my cut and colour done today. I was able to have my own drink, and brought a book with me. I've never been so happy to get my hair done!! :) Feel like a million dollars now!!

There were no extra charges, although I did dye it myself a few weeks ago. It's a small local place I go to, I think it's the bigger places that are charging extra. I gave her a bigger tip than usual.

By the way, I booked in for my next appointment in 6 weeks and she was already almost fully booked up right until then!! So keep that in mind, it's worth booking well in advance for future appointments.

Thanks for the nice comments about the nails by the way, I get them done by Adina in Dublin Hairdressers on Berkeley Rd. She's so good, super professional and very reasonable prices too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yeah the receptionist asked me if I wanted to make an appointment for six weeks time as I was heading to leave because they’re booked up for the next month at least. I usually get a toner and cut every six weeks but I’m so bright blonde now I’ll def need a colour top up in six weeks so I booked in for the full works again for then. I was thankful she mentioned it because I’d usually just ring up the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I went blonde just before lockdown. Big mistake as I now have a line of brown roots about 3 inches long. However I have my appointment for 3 weeks time and I think I'm going to keep up the blonde look. Hoping there won't be a second wave as I don't think I could cope looking at roots again!! On the plus side, I've had to learn how to wax myself and that's been a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I went blonde just before lockdown. Big mistake as I now have a line of brown roots about 3 inches long. However I have my appointment for 3 weeks time and I think I'm going to keep up the blonde look. Hoping there won't be a second wave as I don't think I could cope looking at roots again!! On the plus side, I've had to learn how to wax myself and that's been a success.

Maybe get them to do a dragged/blended root so if something happens again at least the root line wont be so hard? Also its a lower maintenance style for your own sake anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love how this thread has completely died down now that everyone has their hair done :D (no pun intended!).

I'm still waiting - I'm booked in on the 17th for a full head and cut. My salon is still saying they're not doing blow dries, which doesn't seem to be the case in Ireland that I've heard of?

Either way, I'm SO EXCITED! After about the 12 week mark, I just gave up caring about my roots, because everyone was in the same boat. I'll be like a new person once they're done!

(@ retro - I told my husband about your fella having the Prosecco in the fridge as a solid hint!)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Hi Faith, the no blow dry does seem unusual,mine was blowdry as usual.
    I agree with you about the hair, I wore my bad hair with pride, felt like an act of solidarity:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I wonder do they mean stand alone blow dry service? Coz how would they know the colour or cut is OK without checking?

I honestly feel like a new person after having my colour refreshed... defo more of a spring in my step! Enjoy Faith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I did see an interview with a hairdresser a few weeks back where they said they would not be doing blow-dries when they reopened. I'd imagine that will change over time. Similarly, my beauty salon is not doing facials or makeup application for now.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I wonder do they mean stand alone blow dry service?

I thought that, so I asked and they said nope, it's all blow drying and to plan to leave with damp hair :eek:.

I guess they could change their minds in the next week, but it's unlikely. Bit of a shame to have gone 20 weeks without an appointment and then leave not feeling like the usual million dollars after a hair appointment (and their prices haven't reduced to reflect the removal of the service).

But at least I can dry and curl it when I get home and feel great, if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Faith wrote: »
    I thought that, so I asked and they said nope, it's all blow drying and to plan to leave with damp hair :eek:.

I guess they could change their minds in the next week, but it's unlikely. Bit of a shame to have gone 20 weeks without an appointment and then leave not feeling like the usual million dollars after a hair appointment (and their prices haven't reduced to reflect the removal of the service).

But at least I can dry and curl it when I get home and feel great, if nothing else!

That is really weird... do you know if thats widespread policy in the UK or are your salon being extra cautious?

SozBbz wrote: »
    That is really weird... do you know if thats widespread policy in the UK or are your salon being extra cautious?

Seems to be down to the discretion of each salon, as far as I can tell. I found this, which discusses it a bit more: https://www.stylist.co.uk/beauty/hairdressers-open-uk-rules-post-lockdown-blow-dry-hair-salon/400302

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

No blow dry try what!!!!!!

I have thickest hair imaginable so absolutely no point me getting my hair cut if it can't be blow dried.

My hairdresser always thins it out for me but only when its dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Hopeful to finally get my hair and eyebrows done next weekend... first time since March. I’m honestly ridiculously happy about it! :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm booked in on the 17th
    Me too- we'll both be looking fab on the same day. :D :pac:

Seems to be down to the discretion of each salon, as far as I can tell. I found this, which discusses it a bit more: https://www.stylist.co.uk/beauty/hairdressers-open-uk-rules-post-lockdown-blow-dry-hair-salon/400302

Similar advice was being given out to hotels in Ireland about removing the hair dryers from the gym changing rooms for the same reason :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Is anyones skin suffering a bit from the masks?

I have dry skin normally but I find I'm getting more patches around my mouth where the mask would be covering.I'm guessing its from the trapped moisture. I'm keeping up my usual routine and limiting places I'd have to go to wear a mask but its still a bit crap.

Advertisement