Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm in the hairdresser with my colour on.
    It feels like a Christmas miracle. ðŸ˜

I love my hair being freshly done but hate having it it done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Hair done, eyebrows and eyelashes done.

I'm so happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Caranica wrote: »
    My salon uses gel in a bottle which is much stronger than shellac. Bar the growth my polish was perfect from the Tuesday before lockdown until my appointment this Tuesday. I asked for 6 week nails and that's what I got. Have an appointment before the next announcement just in case (obviously I have one Christmas week too)

Gonna be dumb here and ask is gel in a bottle a brand, as shellac is basically gel polish

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Dyed my hairs at home and for facial hairs, I am taking laser treatments for months. That's why it didn't hurt me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Segotias wrote: »
    Gonna be dumb here and ask is gel in a bottle a brand, as shellac is basically gel polish

Yeah it's a brand. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Thanks I must have a look, I do my own nails and get bored easily so change the often but 6 weeks would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Is this it?

https://thegelbottle.ie/2-shop

Yes, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I feel so sorry for the beauticians and hairdressers having to close at lunchtime on Christmas Eve while non-essential shops can stay open. While shops are restricting the number of people in the shop there is no social distancing once you get in. My hairdresser and beauticians are both adhering to all the guidelines and then some. I’ve felt very safe while in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Managed to get a last minute booking to get my acrylics removed (which I only had refilled two weeks ago) tomorrow morning, seeing as there is no end date for these restrictions and I foresee them being closed for the whole month of January at a minimum.

Feel very sorry for the staff in the hospitality and beauty industry who spent the last 3 weeks looking after everyone for Christmas at the expense of spending time with their own loved ones, only to be the first out of jobs again. It’s just so sad for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Im so sad for them too.

I am just absolutely sick of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I really thought hair and beauty would be left open this time. They are after getting through their busiest time of the year and have put in so much effort - Jan will be a quiet time so what's the harm letting them open with smaller staff on

I can't believe non essential retail is allowed to open, and gyms but not salons. Makes no sense. My heart goes out to all the businesses screwed again. The salon I go to is beyond safe. Gutted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Same. Where I get my hair done is one of the safest places imaginable. I'm just really angry on their behalf. It must be soul destroying.

I had my next appointment all made for early new year. The thought of more awful hair days to add to the misery of bleak January and this never ending nightmare, is so depressing.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clue Lady

My beautician was in tears yesterday. She has followed all the guidelines to a T. Unfortunately, the hairdresser across the way is the opposite. I called in for a voucher for my neighbour and there were 5 ladies seated in a very small salon and only 2 hairdressers. I couldn’t get out of there quick enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is there any guidance as to when hairdressers might reopen? I had an appointment booked for the 9th of jan. I haven’t heard anything from the salon one way or another!

Faith wrote: »
    Is there any guidance as to when hairdressers might reopen? I had an appointment booked for the 9th of jan. I haven’t heard anything from the salon one way or another!

Not a chance. Rules were supposed to be reviewed on the 12th, so you should have heard from the salon, but now they're expecting all of January to be fully locked down again.

Bad form from the salon really. I had a nail appointment booked for 06 January (the day restrictions were originally due to be reviewed) and that was cancelled by the salon when the new rules were announced Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I can't believe non essential retail is allowed to open, and gyms but not salons. Makes no sense. My heart goes out to all the businesses screwed again. The salon I go to is beyond safe. Gutted for them.

It actually makes perfect sense from a preventive measure which is exactly where the decision came from. Salons be they hair or beauty are situations of direct contact for prolonged periods of time.

Think it’s extremely tough for the industry but i can see the logic .

Salon owners hear the news at the same time as the public. They won’t be open so your appointment on the 9th won’t be going ahead. The earliest review was the 12th but that won’t result in salons open either. Most likely when there is a date to reopen you will hear from your salon to rebook your app.
    I know mine are not cancelling any appointments, leaving them on the system so those clients who missed apps can be accommodated first when they reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

fed_u wrote: »
    I really thought hair and beauty would be left open this time. They are after getting through their busiest time of the year and have put in so much effort - Jan will be a quiet time so what's the harm letting them open with smaller staff on

The harm to the salon owners is, being left open, clients too afraid to make appointments/come in, still having to pay staff/Bill's and no help from the government if open

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I understand the appointment is off but I didn't know if we have any guidance about when they could possibly reopen.

Oh yeah, I understand the appointment is off but I didn't know if we have any guidance about when they could possibly reopen.

Level 5 is here for the foreseeable, some people are reporting until March. Bear in mind that they were originally supposed to be open until the 6th, then closed but reviewed on the 12th and now who knows. It will probably be a phased reopening again so could be several months. The real answer is nobody knows I'm afraid.

Nothing so far. When the announcement is made publicly will be when salons know. They don’t get advanced warning for planning unfortunately

jrosen wrote: »
    Nothing so far. When the announcement is made publicly will be when salons know. They don’t get advanced warning for planning unfortunately

That's really so unfair for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Level 5 is here for the foreseeable, some people are reporting until March. Bear in mind that they were originally supposed to be open until the 6th, then closed but reviewed on the 12th and now who knows. It will probably be a phased reopening again so could be several months. The real answer is nobody knows I'm afraid.

March????!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I am just so over all of this in all honesty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

March????!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I am just so over all of this in all honesty.

I'd say end of March for hospitality

Hopefully earlier for non essential retail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got my hair done at the start of December.I was thinking we'd have a level 3 rather than level 5 lock down in January because at that point the numbers weren't awful.Little did we know....

Now I'm starting to see my roots and I'm wondering will I be going back to my piebald ways the way I was in lock down 1.At least there'll be no one to see me and we'll all be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

seefin wrote: »
    Just ordered from esalon, anyone try them? I'll post here after I try it out, not sure how long will take them to post on. My worst problem with box colours is the build up, my hair eventually turns black .

Seefin, can I ask did you try esalon in the end and how it worked out? Or has anyone else tried them or anything similar?

I never have good results from box dyes - curly/low porousity hair and dyes tend to build up and quickly end up overly dark, even lighter colour shades. Doesn't happen with the salon mix so was hoping something like esalon might work out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

For any brunettes looking to do a home job I would highly recommend the Josh Wood products at Boots. There is a base shade which you can use alone, or you can mix in a shade shot in cool or warm.

I haven’t tried using the box colour alone without the shade shot - but with the shade shot the result was perfect. My issue is that boxed home dyes come out too black and after a couple of weeks they get an awful orange hue. This didn’t happen when I used the box with the ashy brunette shade shot - no unwanted orange glow and a nice dark natural brown that suited my cool colouring. The shade shot has been sold out since summer and I can’t even see it online. So I am going to try the box colour alone and see how that goes.

• Advertisement

The salon I'd booked to get my hair done on Jan 9th have never contacted me about my appointment being cancelled and rebooking procedures. I mean, I know it's obvious that the appointment was cancelled but, at the prices they charge, I'd have expected at least a generic email! I've tried contacting them just to find out if they'll rebook me at their convenience or if they want me to contact them to rebook, but no reply. Pretty disappointed because they have a great reputation, but at this point, I'm thinking I might go elsewhere when restrictions lift. I do value customer service, and other salons charge half of what they do!

If anyone can recommend a salon in Cork for blonde highlights, let me know :).

Advertisement