Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

@Faith I've been to Goldirocks a couple of times, found them excellent. Not cheap, but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Faith wrote: »
    The salon I'd booked to get my hair done on Jan 9th have never contacted me about my appointment being cancelled and rebooking procedures. I mean, I know it's obvious that the appointment was cancelled but, at the prices they charge, I'd have expected at least a generic email! I've tried contacting them just to find out if they'll rebook me at their convenience or if they want me to contact them to rebook, but no reply. Pretty disappointed because they have a great reputation, but at this point, I'm thinking I might go elsewhere when restrictions lift. I do value customer service, and other salons charge half of what they do!

If anyone can recommend a salon in Cork for blonde highlights, let me know :).

New Hair Revolution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Getting pretty sick of the sight of myself now I won’t lie. Mind you, it was somewhat worse in the summer when we couldn’t wear beanie hats etc to hide the roots. Ugggggggghhhhh. God why did you make me to be such a vain biatch.
    Oh to be a natural beauty in these times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I can deal with my hair and nails......but the eyebrows are the headwreck. No matter what I do or try, I am absolutely lousy at doing them myself!

I’ve tape in extensions in since the start of December. I’ve ordered stuff to remove them and then to reapply them. Will prob end up gluing a finger to my scalp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Are those John Frieda Brilliant Brunette shampoos any good to kind of give dark brown hair a bit of a pick up colour wise? Im happy enough to box dye it a nice dark cocoa shade, but it does get a bit gingery looking when certain light shines on it and wondering does this type of shampoo help or is it a gimmick?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Getting pretty sick of the sight of myself now I won’t lie. Mind you, it was somewhat worse in the summer when we couldn’t wear beanie hats etc to hide the roots. Ugggggggghhhhh. God why did you make me to be such a vain biatch.

I feel the same! Even though I like the comfort and no effort of working in my trackies I'm getting fed up with it! I had to go into my job today so I put on a decent outfit, makeup and sort of did my hair. It did boost my mood a little bit! The vanity is strong :D
    Are those John Frieda Brilliant Brunette shampoos any good to kind of give dark brown hair a bit of a pick up colour wise? Im happy enough to box dye it a nice dark cocoa shade, but it does get a bit gingery looking when certain light shines on it and wondering does this type of shampoo help or is it a gimmick?

I don't think they'll do anything to adjust your colour. Have a look at Revlon colour bombs, I'm pretty sure there's a brown shade. You can mix some in to a bottle of conditioner and use it frequently. I have the red and do it about every 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭YellowLead

L’Oréal have a good purple shampoo/conditioner that is targeted to brunettes as well as blondes and tones down any brassiness. Careful though with it in the shower as it’s a powerful colour and will stain if splashed anywhere and not rinsed off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

YellowLead wrote: »
    L’Oréal have a good purple shampoo/conditioner that is targeted to brunettes as well as blondes and tones down any brassiness. Careful though with it in the shower as it’s a powerful colour and will stain if splashed anywhere and not rinsed off

I dye my hair copper but use this between dying to tone down the brassiness. Not ideal but definitely looks a lot better than letting the copper fade to yellow!

Agree about the mess, I find purple spots everywhere 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SAME. I haven't had my highlights done since the beginning of November. I feel like mirrors are going to start shattering soon when I look in them :pac:

My time spent browsing about things like botox has skyrocketed over the last few weeks in a desperate attempt to plan a way back to feeling like a normal person.

• Advertisement

Do you know what I think we mainly notice these things about ourselves, but not others. I feel like everybody else - colleagues, friends l(albeit I’m seeing them virtually) look great.
    I know we want to look good for our own selves and self image is so important- but I guarantee nobody else is looking at us going yuck!
    Before lockdown I never would have left the house in a tracksuit bottoms woolly jumper hiking boots combo now I nip to the shop looking like worzel gummidge but it it’s also kind of relaxing not stressing and feeling pressure to look...well normal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I am in bad need of a haircut... haven't got one since February of last year :o

While I have minimal split ends, all my layers have grown out and it's looking bleugh.

I was hoping to get it cut at the start of the new year :(

God knows when the hairdressers will be back open....

I am in bad need of a haircut... haven't got one since February of last year :o

While I have minimal split ends, all my layers have grown out and it's looking bleugh.

I was hoping to get it cut at the start of the new year :(

God knows when the hairdressers will be back open....

I’m hoping April!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Do you know where this is available? I can find a few online but can't figure out which one is aimed at brunettes.

Do you know where this is available? I can find a few online but can't figure out which one is aimed at brunettes.

It’s the same one that works for blondes and brunettes. Pretty sure I got mine in boots but they also have them in supermarkets as far as I know- they have purple packaging. Deffo made a difference for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I really miss getting my nails done. I'm no good at filing them myself, can't get a good shape on them. So I'm keeping them short. :(

For anyone into josh wood home dyes in boots I was in the boots in Maynooth today and their products were gone from the main aisle. End of an aisle then they were selling them off for 5 and 7 depending on product. Don’t know if they are discontinuing them hope not! I got the last smoky brunette treatment so glad of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

It’s the same one that works for blondes and brunettes. Pretty sure I got mine in boots but they also have them in supermarkets as far as I know- they have purple packaging. Deffo made a difference for me

Thanks YellowLead! Will definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Finding I'm at the dreaded stage now where I have to wash my hair pretty much every day now to keep it looking like there's some bit of life to it. I usually try and wash it every second or even third if I'm lucky but its getting so hard to wait it out. I find when I get my hair cut really well, I can go days without washing it. Oh god just please open the hairdressers soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Rfrip

My hair now is like rats tails at the end. Its extremely upsetting

Feeling very blessed i went with a dark root before christmas though

Hope everyone is hanging in there, this lockdown is by far the toughest

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Cant see salons open before May at this rate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jrosen wrote: »
    Cant see salons open before May at this rate.

**** ill be like a curly cousin IT

I haven't had my hair cut in a year (end of February last year) and I'm pregnant now and my hair is growing like CRAZY, I'm going to have to cut my own hair, I don't think I've much choice at this stage :(

It will be late quarter two according to Micheál last night. So June.
    Honest. To. God.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

We can have summer styles :)

Honest. To. God.

I can't see me getting to a hair dressers in June (Babies due in May), my poor hair

GingerLily wrote: »
    I can't see me getting to a hair dressers in June (Babies due in May), my poor hair

Please god it’s just a worst case prediction and we will get there long before that. Best of luck with the baba!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

GingerLily wrote: »
    I haven't had my hair cut in a year (end of February last year) and I'm pregnant now and my hair is growing like CRAZY, I'm going to have to cut my own hair, I don't think I've much choice at this stage :(

Congrats on your wonderful news! Xx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Honest. To. God.

I almost feel like I have transcended caring. Like, my hair now looks SO terrible that I can no longer even see it. I haven’t had my highlights done since the beginning of November. My roots are inches long and my ends are scraggly but I just feel so “meh” about it.

On the other hand, I discovered places doing cosmetic medical treatments are still open, so I took the money for my highlights and have redirected it towards some Botox :pac:

Advertisement