Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

My hair is in fab condition because I never dry or straighten it any more. I literally wash it maybe twice a week and let it dry naturally... It looks awful 90% of the time, but then the odd time I DO actually dry and straighten it, it looks so long and healthy!! So I don't really mind not getting it cut... It would be nice to cover the greys, and in the last lockdown I did resort to home dye, but I'm gonna try and stick it out this time and wait for the hairdressers to reopen.

Only thing I'd really like to get done is to have my undercut shaved, it's probably grown out to about two inches now. It looks grand like, just feels a bit weird as I'm used to having it shaved to blade one! (By the way I'd highly recommend it, I've a fairly sizeable undercut but I can still hide it fully by leaving my hair down when I want to, and it makes my hair sooooo much more manageable!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Faith wrote: »
    On the other hand, I discovered places doing cosmetic medical treatments are still open, so I took the money for my highlights and have redirected it towards some Botox :pac:

What!? No way! I’m waiting on IPL treatment from a consultant dermatologist and she said that they aren’t allowed to do those treatments under these restrictions because they are considered cosmetic even though it’s medical cosmetics. How annoying. I’m booked in provisionally in April but she said that would only be on the assumption that restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

My regular hairdresser was fully booked in December, so I was unable to get my hair cot the - they only had space for a root masking and toner. Christmas Eve I was able to get an appointment for a cut in a salon near my parents and the cut is so much better than what I've been getting done with my hairdresser. The shape has held up so much more, it's not as unmanageable as previous times they were closed, etc.
    So I think I'm in search of a new hairdresser when they finally do reopen.
    However, it is around now that my hair always looks like it is greasy even after I have washed and dried it. it is just limp looking. My hair is actually quite fine, but there is an awful lot of it so a lot of hairdressers say it is thick. Any recommendations for a shampoo to deal with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭YellowLead

cee_jay wrote: »
    My regular hairdresser was fully booked in December, so I was unable to get my hair cot the - they only had space for a root masking and toner. Christmas Eve I was able to get an appointment for a cut in a salon near my parents and the cut is so much better than what I've been getting done with my hairdresser. The shape has held up so much more, it's not as unmanageable as previous times they were closed, etc.
    However, it is around now that my hair always looks like it is greasy even after I have washed and dried it. it is just limp looking. My hair is actually quite fine, but there is an awful lot of it so a lot of hairdressers say it is thick. Any recommendations for a shampoo to deal with this?

Finding the right hairdresser when you have fine hair can be a pain. In my case I have fine hair but a lot of it. So it can appear thick when it’s not and needs to be cut in a specific way to manage it. I had a great hairdresser for years, she stopped to have kids and I thankfully now I’ve found another that gets my hair and is just as good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What!? No way! I’m waiting on IPL treatment from a consultant dermatologist and she said that they aren’t allowed to do those treatments under these restrictions because they are considered cosmetic even though it’s medical cosmetics. How annoying. I’m booked in provisionally in April but she said that would only be on the assumption that restrictions are lifted.

I was really surprised, tbh, I assumed they’d be closed. I have no idea how they’re getting around it. I went off a recommendation I’d seen here for Eden Medical and they’re all dentists - I don’t know if that makes a difference, or maybe they’re just being more lax with their interpretation of the laws :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

YellowLead wrote: »
    Finding the right hairdresser when you have fine hair can be a pain. In my case I have fine hair but a lot of it. So it can appear thick when it’s not and needs to be cut in a specific way to manage it. I had a great hairdresser for years, she stopped to have kids and I thankfully now I’ve found another that gets my hair and is just as good.

This is exactly like me - its almost like it has to be "cut into" in a particular way? I always feel my hair grows out, and not down, but with the cut I got in December, it definitely not happening as fast! I didn't know this hairdresser from Adam, and she just said "your hair needs a good cut, and it needs cutting in a particular way - just trust me". And she was right. Unfortunately, she is in Limerick, and I am in Dublin :( If your hairdresser is in the Dublin area, I would appreciate a recommendation by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Faith wrote: »
    I almost feel like I have transcended caring. Like, my hair now looks SO terrible that I can no longer even see it. I haven’t had my highlights done since the beginning of November. My roots are inches long and my ends are scraggly but I just feel so “meh” about it.

On the other hand, I discovered places doing cosmetic medical treatments are still open, so I took the money for my highlights and have redirected it towards some Botox :pac:

You are so flippen right!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Rfrip wrote: »
    My hair now is like rats tails at the end. Its extremely upsetting

Feeling very blessed i went with a dark root before christmas though

Hope everyone is hanging in there, this lockdown is by far the toughest

You are so smart. I’m clearly a glutton for punishment because when I was in at Christmas I asked for highlights brighter than the sun. Sure when I was leaving I made an appointment for February 1st. Sweet deluded child.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

I had to cancel my appointment just before Christmas so my hair's been untouched since October!!
    I have shocking roots with grey through them and blonde for the rest. I did buy a box colour but I'm too nervous to use it.
    My hairdresser is brilliant and has gotten my hair to exactly the shade I want through a process and I hate the idea of undoing her good work.
    I literally don't know what to do.
    I was thinking if I bought a dry shampoo in brown and used that on the top, would it kind of create a balyage effect?
    I'm just avoiding looking at it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

How do you find IPL? I had a few sessions at a dermatologist for rosacea. It did absolutely nothing for the rosacea but gave a great radiance to my skin . Would get it done again just for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I did a home job on the roots a few weeks back. It cheered me up slightly, and it will be well washed out and grown out, before I see the inside of a salon again.

The shape holds quite well which is something. I will have longer hair than I have had for years by the time the hairdressers are allowed to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭mojesius

cee_jay wrote: »

Try alfaparf shampoo. https://www.beautyfeatures.ie/alfaparf-semi-di-lino-scalp-renew-energize-shampoo-250ml/

I have similar hair (fine but lots of it) and this is the only shampoo that keeps my hair and scalp looking healthy, vibrant and not greasy. You only need to use a small bit to get a good lather, so it lasts long too

I'm using this additional lockdown to grow out my horrible eyebrows. They still have that early 00s over plucked look and I can't pull off a lot of eyebrow pencil. I have this growth lotion stuff I got off an eyebrow place a couple of years ago, so lashing that on everyday to encourage growth, then I'll get them professionally shaped (if they do ever grow back).

I had to bite the bullet and dye my hair. I have brown hair and the grey regrowth was getting scary. Used naturitint 'dark blonde' (not sure why it's called dark blonde when it's defo medium brown) just on roots and about 2 inches from roots. It's a good hair dye, you can get it in health shops, covered most of the Greys. Pic attached in case anyone is stuck on what to get for hair :)

hamburgham wrote: »
    How do you find IPL? I had a few sessions at a dermatologist for rosacea. It did absolutely nothing for the rosacea but gave a great radiance to my skin . Would get it done again just for that.

I haven’t been able to start it yet because of COVID. I’m booked in for April. I’m getting it for rosacea too, burst blood vessels on my cheeks chin and above my eyebrows. Now I’m worried I’m throwing the guts of a thousand euro down the drain if it didn’t work for you...

mojesius wrote: »
    I'm using this additional lockdown to grow out my horrible eyebrows. They still have that early 00s over plucked look and I can't pull off a lot of eyebrow pencil. I have this growth lotion stuff I got off an eyebrow place a couple of years ago, so lashing that on everyday to encourage growth, then I'll get them professionally shaped (if they do ever grow back).

I started growing mine out last year because I wanted to reverse all the over plucking I did in my teens. So I haven’t had them done since January 2020. Was supposed to be getting married in April but we’ve pushed that back to 2022 so I’ve another year of crazy brows to contend with.

I have to say, I’m disappointed with the regrowth so far. It’s been a year and they aren’t getting any fuller. I might look in to a lotion or serum to try to encourage them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

If anyone is interested in some cheap and cheerful hair-masks that you could use during a self-care session during the lockdown, I posted this on the amazon bargains thread :)

Disclaimer: these masks are not professional, salon quality - but they're grand for the price and smell quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

My dog got groomed today. So jealous!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My dog got groomed today. So jealous!!

Are dog groomers open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Stheno wrote: »
    Are dog groomers open?

Yeah for animal welfare reasons groomers have been open throughout level 5. Never thought I'd see the day I would be jealous of a dog but here we are lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Scraggs wrote: »
    Yeah for animal welfare reasons groomers have been open throughout level 5. Never thought I'd see the day I would be jealous of a dog but here we are lol

That's mad lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Stheno wrote: »
    Are dog groomers open?

They weren't open during the first lockdown but have been since. I've no problem giving the husband a quick trim but I wouldn't subject the dog to that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I haven’t been able to start it yet because of COVID. I’m booked in for April. I’m getting it for rosacea too, burst blood vessels on my cheeks chin and above my eyebrows. Now I’m worried I’m throwing the guts of a thousand euro down the drain if it didn’t work for you...

You might have better luck than me. I would definitely get it done again though just for the way it (temporarily) improved my skin, it really was glowing.

I started growing mine out last year because I wanted to reverse all the over plucking I did in my teens. So I haven’t had them done since January 2020. Was supposed to be getting married in April but we’ve pushed that back to 2022 so I’ve another year of crazy brows to contend with.

I have to say, I’m disappointed with the regrowth so far. It’s been a year and they aren’t getting any fuller. I might look in to a lotion or serum to try to encourage them along.

Congratulations, exciting times ahead for you :)

I know what you mean about regrowth. I tried to grow them out hastily before my own wedding in 2017 and it was so patchy , I just stopped trying. I'll post back if this lotion works or if it's just a waste of money. So annoying that they don't just grow back!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I haven't had my highlights done since July- I didn't want to risk the Christmas madness, so figured I'd wait until January. Idiot. :rolleyes:

My dog is booked in for a groom next month, so add me to the jealous list!
    She usually gets groomed every 3 months, and it will be 7 months since her last appointment once she gets in!
    Dogs need glands expressing and claws trimming as well as the usual cut and colour :pac: so it's good that it's been recognised as essential this time. It's very uncomfortable for dogs to go without regular grooming.

My dog gets natural sunkissed strawberry blonde highlights in the summer too, just to add insult to injury! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My eyebrows are a disaster, there's no saving them now with out professional help! For colour I had been sweeping them with a bit of Anastasia tinted brow gel but now I have so much eyebrow that it just makes them look crazy and way too bushy. Uggggggh. The hair is being worn in a bun a lot more these days. I did want to grow my hair long so that's a positive I suppose, but the cut I have is for much shorter hair so it's looking fair wild! Lots of beanie hats being worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Twee. wrote: »
    My eyebrows are a disaster, there's no saving them now with out professional help! For colour I had been sweeping them with a bit of Anastasia tinted brow gel but now I have so much eyebrow that it just makes them look crazy and way too bushy. Uggggggh. The hair is being worn in a bun a lot more these days. I did want to grow my hair long so that's a positive I suppose, but the cut I have is for much shorter hair so it's looking fair wild! Lots of beanie hats being worn.

i got the brow dye in boots at the wkend! it actually came out grand! so easy to do and literally just left it on for a minute. Would deffo recommend it

Will i keep doing it myself post lockdown?

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Twee. wrote: »

I wonder can we make it fashionable to rock beanie hats right into June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Lol at the dog grooming! Our dog had his first ever groom last week - he's a labrador so doesn't really need much maintenance but thought we'd treat him to an oul freshen up. He had a good brush, trim, and a therapeutic bath if you don't mind! Legit spa day! He smells like an air freshener now. I'm SO jealous!

I am someone who pretty much exclusively did my own treatments for years - haircuts and colours, brows, etc, mostly from being broke for so long, I went college> internship> crap salary> freelancing & self employed so I was pretty good at doing all the bits but after lockdown #1 I said feck it I'm getting things done profesh from now on... but I'm finding with these 2 subsequent lockdowns I am absolutely allergic to doing anything myself now!!! :pac: I haven't put a box dye in since last summer but I'm trying to last it out and go get it done when salons open. And I'm doing my eyebrows with a facial hair trimmer! I'm gonna have a full scale Miss Congeniality-style makeover at the end of this!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Rfrip wrote: »
    i got the brow dye in boots at the wkend! it actually came out grand! so easy to do and literally just left it on for a minute. Would deffo recommend it

Will i keep doing it myself post lockdown?

Absolutely not.

I have a tint here but it's the shape that's killing me :( I just can't get them near to what a pro can do so adding more colour just makes the problem more obvious :pac:
    The Cool wrote: »
    I'm gonna have a full scale Miss Congeniality-style makeover at the end of this!

I started a new job in lockdown and I only told them last week that on our first team night out I don't want them to recognise me, I'll be that done up :D A new woman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

I put on some weight during the first lockdown and felt like crap then I went through a bad break up coming into the second lockdown so I lost all that and a little more.

Now I weigh less than I did as a teenager. Happy days, right!! I look better in every way. Even got comments going down to the local shop and with these roots? 🙈

Brows are fine but would love my hair and nails done soon to go with my new body when we get back to work 😛

Advertisement