Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone else here with bonded extensions? What are you doing to maintain them?

Mine are in since late October & were due to come out in mid March but obviously that didn’t happen.
    They are now starting to matt quite badly, there is no way I can leave them in for another 11 weeks without doing damage to my own hair - by that point they’ll have been in for 9 months!!!

My hairdresser said not to try to remove them myself as I made a balls of it last time I tried a few years back :pac: but in the meantime I’ll have to do something because they are beginning to resemble dreadlocks and are becoming sore and heavy.

And yes I know, worse things are happening etc etc but July is extremely far away last without any professional hair care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

acequion wrote: »
    20th July!!! I'm just gobsmacked! :eek: Countries like Italy and Spain which have been the epicentre of the virus are reopening their hairdressers in May.

There is a reason these countries were the epicentre of the virus, Italy in particular had a very lax approach and I fear they will have a phase 2 with the speed they are reopening.

From talking to friends none of us would be comfortable going to a hairdresser or beautican at the moment. It's just not safe. The 2 meter rule and social distances would be impossible to implement.

The Irish government are trying to prevent a phase 2 of the virus.

Birdsong wrote: »
    There is a reason these countries were the epicentre of the virus, Italy in particular had a very lax approach and I fear they will have a phase 2 with the speed they are reopening.

From talking to friends none of us would be comfortable going to a hairdresser or beautican at the moment. It's just not safe. The 2 meter rule and social distances would be impossible to implement.

The Irish government are trying to prevent a phase 2 of the virus.

Not to derail the thread but it isn’t possible to prevent phase 2 of the virus or another spike in confirmed cases, more movement will mean an increase in cases whether we allow things to reopen next week or whether we wait till next year.

We are just delaying and suppressing, not preventing, unfortunately. Indefinite lockdown won’t make the virus go away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got an email from my brow salon to say they won't open bookings until they have 100% clarity on dates and measures to be taken in salons, which seems fair enough to me. I'll be top of the queue!

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Twee. wrote: »
    Got an email from my brow salon to say they won't open bookings until they have 100% clarity on dates and measures to be taken in salons, which seems fair enough to me. I'll be top of the queue!

I feel more comfortable with that approach, I see on Instagram that some salons are swamped with people wanting to book in but I think a wait and see approach is better all round.

I’ve always dyed my hair at home but as I couldn’t get my usual dye I waited as long as I could and finally did my roots yesterday. I thought I was just grey but my hair is properly white at the front! Not sure I’m ready to embrace my snowy white hair though just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My sister-in-law is a hairdresser and offered to do my colour since I'll be able to see her from the 8th of June and my roots are horrendus.

DO you think it'd be cheeky to ask my hairdressers(local place I've been going for about 8 years) if they have any details of the colour rather than her ordering what she thinks is the closest match?

If I wait till July it'll be 6 months since I've had it done .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

My sister-in-law is a hairdresser and offered to do my colour since I'll be able to see her from the 8th of June and my roots are horrendus.

DO you think it'd be cheeky to ask my hairdressers(local place I've been going for about 8 years) if they have any details of the colour rather than her ordering what she thinks is the closest match?

I wouldn't ask for the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I thought we still had to social distance when we see our families in June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

I bit the bullet today and box dyed. I have brown hair and need to go to the salon every 6 weeks due to 'grey wings'. My head was literally going white on one side in a patch and the spray stuff just wasn't cutting it anymore.

To avoid ruining the colour work (highlights/lowlights tones etc.) I just did my roots with a colour that kind of matched according to the box! I did a bad attempt at professionally painting it on using an old foundation brush.

Turned out very well! I was bit terrified it would look two toned but lucky it matched pretty well. Covered all greys. Brand I used was Naturitint, got it in Avoca but you can get online as well. Not as harsh as other box dyes!

I just thought I'd share in case others are in the same boat (and my hairdresser will probably kill me).

• Advertisement

I’d ask. Most hairdressers will supply what you need. Either post or kerbside collection.

Back in the day when I home dyed, I used get my OH to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I’d ask. Most hairdressers will supply what you need. Either post or kerbside collection.

Back in the day when I home dyed, I used get my OH to do it.

Are you seriously suggesting that her hairdressers will supply her with professional products like dye so she can get her hair done with a family member? Why would they do themselves out of a job like that? They run the risk of her continuing with the family member when all this has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are you seriously suggesting that her hairdressers will supply her with professional products like dye so she can get her hair done with a family member? Why would they do themselves out of a job like that? They run the risk of her continuing with the family member when all this has passed.

Yet many are doing just this! They are even mixing colour for people to collect. People will remember that they helped them out and feel a loyalty. People enjoy the salon as a treat anyway. I understand them not handing over professional products if they're not comfortable with it, but refusing to even give the information on what is used (which is what the poster asked) is so unprofessional I think. I won't bother contacting my hairdresser, but if I did and she wouldn't even tell me what colour mix she uses on me, then I wouldn't be going back to her. I think I have a right to know what exactly is applied to my hair. Refusing to offer any information or advice also risks losing customers.

Yes, I am. Any hairdresser will want to help a long time client. They’re not doing themselves out of a job. They’re keeping the relationship going. They know that it’s bad enough not getting a haircut without the horrors of roots growing out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Not going to lie I hadn't checked the details.I just got excited because I've not seen anyone since the 14th of March.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I did my roots twice the first time with a Demi permanent that didn’t cover enough and second time with the permanent version - it was a clarion box dye and the colour matches well enough with my roots. I’ve since added a temporary colour to my mid to ends and love it. My hair is really long so I trimmed the ends myself. figure as I was desperately in need of a trim and colour since February and I won’t see a hair dresser until July what’s the harm

I was able to get the lash and brow tint in my local chemist, and did a home job on them myself. Not bad - but I do love the professional touch.

I cannot get a handle on the eyebrow shaping with my tweezers though! I normally get threaded / waxed and I love the clean job that the salon does.

My hairdresser was selling the salon grade hair colour mixed and was doing contactless payment and deliveries, so I was able to do my roots.

I haven't had any botox done since last year, and by the looks of things wont be getting it done again until September!

In a way, I look younger. Not that I look better - I just look a bit more like when I
    a) didnt get botox
    b) had terrible eyebrows; and
    c) didn't have a babysitter so I couldn't go to the hairdressers!

Also (lets be honest here)
    d) A few more spots and redness due to the extra drinking going on!

I was delighted to be able to support my hairdresser and give her a few bob.

I wonder how the nail salons / brow bars are going to do after this - I can't wait to book in with my local place for a full pedicure, brows, and maybe a facial, as soon as its safe to do so. I hope the salons businesses can still survive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I haven't had any botox done since last year, and by the looks of things wont be getting it done again until September!

This is what's annoying me the most! The lack of botox, I'm frowning like there is no tomorrow! Thankfully i had it done just before all this kicked off, but i only got a small amount and now I'm wishing I froze my face! :pac:
    So I'll be getting botox while everyone else is at the hairdressers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I don't think I will go back to getting my nails done, but I'll start putting the money towards other things like facials, some preventative botox maybe (never had this done!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Getting your nails done isn't the same as injecting a toxin into your face. I studied bacteriology, not a hope I'd let Clostridium botulinum anywhere near my body unless medically prescribed.

I know this thread isn't about that but I'm actually horrified to hear of people doing this and looking forward to doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Caranica wrote: »
    Getting your nails done isn't the same as injecting a toxin into your face. I studied bacteriology, not a hope I'd let Clostridium botulinum anywhere near my body unless medically prescribed.

I know this thread isn't about that but I'm actually horrified to hear of people doing this and looking forward to doing it again.

Never said it was. Just thinking out loud about what I might do with my money instead.

Live and let live :confused:

Of course getting your nails done is different to botox! However, for ME, I enjoy getting botox done and what it means to me. I am looking forward to that again (which doesn't mean I would take any covid risks). Likewise I also look forward to going back to my local beauty salon for my mani pedi and brows. Because they make me feel good

Salty wrote: »
    Never said it was. Just thinking out loud about what I might do with my money instead.

Live and let live :confused:

Exactly. I think Botox is almost No 1 beauty treatment in the world these days. Its been tested and tested and tested to death with no adverse effects whatsoever. Botox was used as a medical treatment in some neuromuscular conditions and for excessive sweating long before it was used in the cosmetic industry. Its really common... even doctors and politicians use it!
    Live and let live, there are risks to most things these days. ;)

And not a hope I'd come into a thread judging others for what they choose to do with their own body when it has zero impact on my own life but hey..... !

It’s Botox, not crystal meth. I can’t wait to get mine topped up either. Tempted to get my lips topped up as well but I only had them done last summer so I should probably wait another bit!

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s Botox, not crystal meth. I can’t wait to get mine topped up either. Tempted to get my lips topped up as well but I only had them done last summer so I should probably wait another bit!

I have been toying with the idea of getting mu lips done for the past two years and had decided to bite the bullet in February.... alas...! Hope to try it after all of this is over.

Got balayage done before all of this so whatever money I save on full head of highlights from now on I can put towards other things! The original idea was to save it but... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All Botox is medically prescribed, which is why it’s only administered by a doctor or a dentist. Ie Medical professionals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

All Botox is medically prescribed, which is why it’s only administered by a doctor or a dentist. Ie Medical professionals

It's not, theres botox and filler training available for aesteticians through out the country, theres one in Belfast thats very poplular with aesteticians in the Republic. Botox and fillers are quite unregulated.

It's not, theres botox and filler training available for aesteticians through out the country, theres one in Belfast thats very poplular with aesteticians in the Republic. Botox and fillers are quite unregulated.

Maybe lax laws in the north, but only a doctor can use it in the South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Maybe lax laws in the north, but only a doctor can use it in the South.

It's not, I know plenty of aesteticians that do it. I would never go to anyone whose not a doctor or nurse but it's really not very regulated. Unless theyre doing it illegally?

Advertisement