Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was at the test 10 Mins early (Galway) & they took the car straight away after I checked in. had to wait outside, test was Approx 20min. On return the tester stood at the passenger side of the car & handed the cert over to me on the drivers side over the roof. Weather was grand.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Car registered in 27 april 2011

Nct to 27 april 2021 covid extended to 27/08/2021

In order to get 2 years nct I should book lets say in March?

Regards

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Car registered in 27 april 2011

Nct to 27 april 2021 covid extended to 27/08/2021

In order to get 2 years nct I should book lets say in March?

Regards

Anywhere inside the 90 day window prior to the new test date of 27/08/2021

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Anywhere inside the 90 day window prior to the new test date of 27/08/2021

Should it not be outside the 90 days to get two years as the car will be 10 years old?? And you’d get two years from that date

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Should it not be outside the 90 days to get two years as the car will be 10 years old?? And you’d get two years from that date
    Yep, more than 90 days before your NEW expiry date and you'll get a two-year cert from that date. So go for the middle of May. Doesn't matter that the car will be more than ten years old by that stage.

• Advertisement

I understood anything earlier than the 90 days was deemed a voluntary early test by the NCT & you were penalized for it when it came to cert longevity.

I done mine inside the 90 days and got the full cert including extension. Is it something to do with the 10 year old thing? Mine was 12 so that didn't factor.

I understood anything earlier than the 90 days was deemed a voluntary early test by the NCT & you were penalized for it when it came to cert longevity.

I done mine inside the 90 days and got the full cert including extension. Is it something to do with the 10 year old thing? Mine was 12 so that didn't factor.
    Yeah, if you do a voluntary early test in the run up to a car's tenth anniversary, you get an 'extra' two year cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi,

I'm up on the 26th Dec (extended date, Aug on the disk). Had trouble with their site last week so rang this morning they have no spots in Dublin till Feb, said they will put me on a priority waiting list as I'd be out, so should get a test mid Jan.

My question is : should I inform my insurance co? What are they likely to say, anybody done this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yes almost every year. Last year with the lifts issue then covid, it went on for months. No one really cared. I carried out the notice from the NCT for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Hi is the website down for bookings?
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Just wondering, my car's NCT was originally up the start of November and so it has been extended to the start of March.

If I was to book it in for a test in the middle of January do you get a certificate for a whole year or will it be a year from the original NCT expiriy? So will I get a cert to the start of November 2021 or will it be to the middle of January 2022 if I get it tested then?

Just asking as if the cert will only be until November 2021 then I might as well go and get it tested in January.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Provided you get it tested (and it passes) WITHIN ninety days of the expiry date (start of March) the new cert will be until the start of March 2022.

Ok, thanks WestWicklow1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

With the new lockdown in place, what does it mean for NCT test centers? Are they closed or open? I've got a booking for 4th of January'21??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Whocare

Anyone know if nct will be closed with new level 5 restrictions have nct booked for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Open, it's essential and was open for Level 5 prior to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ire’s NCT was due on 18th March 2020 but they closed and when they reopened she could only get a date in November. I brought the car. It failed. Got it fixed and was told the inspector must have been having a bad day.
    Booked retest, 22 December. Passed. Didn’t notice till the wife spotted..... Cert valid till 18 March 2022. We are inside the 90 day window of original test date, so rather than a 4 month extension, because we had to go for a retest and there was nothing available for a couple of weeks....... we got a 1 year extension. Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

j@utis wrote: »
    With the new lockdown in place, what does it mean for NCT test centers? Are they closed or open? I've got a booking for 4th of January'21??

I’m wondering the same. I’m due in on the 6th January

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From their site, can be updated at any time so keep an eye on it.
    All NCT centres will be closed for the Christmas period from 23rd December and will re-open on 2nd January 2021.

For anyone wishing to make an appointment, our contact centre will be operational for NCT bookings only on the 30th and 31st December from 10am - 4 pm.

You can still make NCT bookings online. NCTS would like to wish all our customers a very happy and safe Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

My car is due up for testing in early March (60- 70 odd days away). As I had a minor issue with the car the other day I said I'd get the full service and thus get my test ASAP, as shown here.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=_RLtX9riFvTvxgP-5ISYCQ&q=how+early+can+i+book+my+nct&oq=how+early+can+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgcIABDJAxBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgQIABBDMgIIADoHCAAQRxCwAzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEMcBEK8BEJECOggIABCxAxCDAToOCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQgAELEDOggILhCxAxCDAToICAAQyQMQkQJQoUlYr1tg121oA3ACeACAAeYBiAHfCZIBBjEwLjMuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab

However the NCT site refuses to let me book, saying I'm too early.

Is this a technical glitch? I had my initial test in early March 2020 and failed on one aspect, by the time the 2nd test was due we were in lockdown, by the time the centre re opened and passed my car they backdated the cert of approval to early March for whatever reason.

Is there some glitch relating to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

My car is due up for testing in early March (60- 70 odd days away). As I had a minor issue with the car the other day I said I'd get the full service and thus get my test ASAP, as shown here.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=_RLtX9riFvTvxgP-5ISYCQ&q=how+early+can+i+book+my+nct&oq=how+early+can+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgcIABDJAxBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgQIABBDMgIIADoHCAAQRxCwAzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEMcBEK8BEJECOggIABCxAxCDAToOCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQgAELEDOggILhCxAxCDAToICAAQyQMQkQJQoUlYr1tg121oA3ACeACAAeYBiAHfCZIBBjEwLjMuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab

Is this a technical glitch? I had my initial test in early March 2020 and failed on one aspect, by the time the 2nd test was due we were in lockdown, by the time the centre re opened and passed my car they backdated the cert of approval to early March for whatever reason.

Is there some glitch relating to this?

Yes I think the site is a bit glitchy. It would not allow me to book a retest and showed 2 strange wrong dates. I booked by phone, reported the issue by email, and passed on retest. At least when I passed my test about 60 days early I got my cert for a year from the later date. So I got a year plus 60 days. I did note someone here said the 90 day thing was not allowed anymore but no mention of it on their website. I think they are trying to discourage people from booking early and a glitch is causing it to be impossible for some. Ring and book next week. You could be on hold for 20 minutes so try find a time call centre might be quiet. I just attempted to book a different car online and while it let's me book, it says next slot is in March. Car is due in April for first NCT (171) and I'd like to do say 80 days early, but it won't let me book before March

It's showing your original date but blocking based on the new extension due to the lockdown. But not telling you it's going that. Or at least that what it did to me. I set a reminder to rebook it, and I did that as early as it let me. Because if I do it late I also struggle to get it done in time. Been like that for years.

They really need to stagger appointments better. So they are evenly spread through the year. Then they need to have a fast track lane for 2nd inspections etc.

Cheers lads, I'll try call them on Monday.

The chain of things was I had failed the NCT at some point in Feb or early March, by the time the re test was booked the service shut down, I finally got the re test on July 20th (I remember this because it was the day the pubs re opened and I was annoyed I couldn't go on an all dayer :pac:). So I'm not sure why the date on the cert is now March 2021 but there you go.

Cheers lads, I'll try call them on Monday.

The chain of things was I had failed the NCT at some point in Feb or early March, by the time the re test was booked the service shut down, I finally got the re test on July 20th (I remember this because it was the day the pubs re opened and I was annoyed I couldn't go on an all dayer :pac:). So I'm not sure why the date on the cert is now March 2021 but there you go.
    If you had an NCT outstanding when things shut down at the end of March, you didn't qualify for the four-month extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭happyplants

Quackster wrote: »
    If you had an NCT outstanding when things shut down at the end of March, you didn't qualify for the four-month extension.

100% the precise information I came looking for on here! I had failed early 2020, then lockdown hit and it was August before the re-test and pass, so no 4 month extension at this point.

Still, not sure I hugely feel like going to an NCT in the middle of whatever many thousand cases we have a day right now.

Still, not sure I hugely feel like going to an NCT in the middle of whatever many thousand cases we have a day right now.

Same here. I'm thinking of shifting mine to the end of Jan. They might have changed their mind by then again.

Hi all,

My car is due for NCT at the start of March.

The test centre closest to me does not have any concrete dates until mid March. However, I am keeping an eye on the bookings and sometimes bookings for January pop up which I presume are cancellations.

I would ideally like to grab one of these cancellation dates, but I am just a bit concerned about COVID and the rising case numbers - are the testing centres safe enough?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

chops018 wrote: »
    are the testing centers safe enough?

Thanks.

No. You need to go inside and hand over driving licence and ownership documents (not always asked for)
    If you book by phone you need to pay fee by cash or card.

Then you wait outside inside your car. They ask you to open windows and turn off fan. They ask you to have car clean and clear of rubbish.

Then a tester arrives in theory with a new pair of gloves and beckons you out if your car and meets you I side 30 minutes later with a paper test report they have handled.

You then go back to your car and drive it home after someone else has just driven and sat in it.

If you are in a high risk group or spend time with others at high risk its better to ask someone to bring your car. There is a significant but small chance people at the test centre are infected and spreading, and this is an airborne virus. It can also stay on hard surfaces for days so things like steering wheel, gear stick, indicator stalks, and door handles should be wiped down with disinfectant wipes. They rummage in boot and back seat belts, so if you are unlucky and they are a worst case super spreader then you might pick it up.

Many people are making only essential out of home trips and that is the way it should be. Try get someone else or risk being out of NCT for a few months.

Is this a technical glitch?

As it turns out, this is not the case.

When I enter in my reg, there is a big prominent message saying that I am too early.

However, below this message, is an invitation to proceed regardless.

Proceed I did, and it took my booking!

It seems clunkier than before, the initial menu only seemed to offer me dates well into March, then it showed one in Northpoint this Saturday, when I tried going into it it disappeared and again showed nothing before March in any of the Dublin centres it defaulted to.

I jigged around with it again and got a sole offer of Drogheda this weekend, if they are even still running by then.

Site appears to be in a bit of a jocker for whatever reason. Covid or not I really can't believe there isn't a single slot available in Dublin until mid March.

Anyway, barring an April level lockdown or the Beast from the East returning (neither of which seem too impossible right now) to Drogheda I go.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    No. You need to go inside and hand over driving licence and ownership documents (not always asked for)
    If you book by phone you need to pay fee by cash or card.

Then you wait outside inside your car. They ask you to open windows and turn off fan. They ask you to have car clean and clear of rubbish.

Then a tester arrives in theory with a new pair of gloves and beckons you out if your car and meets you I side 30 minutes later with a paper test report they have handled.

You then go back to your car and drive it home after someone else has just driven and sat in it.

If you are in a high risk group or spend time with others at high risk its better to ask someone to bring your car. There is a significant but small chance people at the test centre are infected and spreading, and this is an airborne virus. It can also stay on hard surfaces for days so things like steering wheel, gear stick, indicator stalks, and door handles should be wiped down with disinfectant wipes. They rummage in boot and back seat belts, so if you are unlucky and they are a worst case super spreader then you might pick it up.

Many people are making only essential out of home trips and that is the way it should be. Try get someone else or risk being out of NCT for a few months.

Ok, thanks for all that information. Not high risk myself, although I would not like to get it as you never know how it will affect you, but there are those close to me I would not like to pass it on to. I think I will hold off another while so until case numbers come down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement