Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

My car was tested last Feb but the second part of the test was put off for months due to the lift issue.

Now the NCT are telling me I am not eligible for the 4-month extension as I did not have a valid NCT from March. That is ridiculous and not my fault.

Has anyone had this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

What's the reasoning behind them not taking contactless payments in NCT center? I didn't have my CC on me because I normally pay with my phone everywhere and stopped carrying CC with me long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

j@utis wrote: »
    What's the reasoning behind them not taking contactless payments in NCT center? I didn't have my CC on me because I normally pay with my phone everywhere and stopped carrying CC with me long time ago.

maybe their systems are not set up to take apple pay or whatever you are trying to pay with

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it business as usual at the NCT centres? Given that school and construction is due to shut until end January?

Any news if tests will be postponed at this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They say yes. Madness if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it business as usual at the NCT centres? Given that school and construction is due to shut until end January?

Any news if tests will be postponed at this time?
    Is construction closing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

beauf wrote: »
    They say yes. Madness if you ask me.

The likes of construction arent shutting down because of the risk of on site transmission, which is negligible. It is shutting to give people less excuse to be on the roads claiming they're off to work.

With the NCT anyone legitimately on their way to 1 has their SMS to hand at the checkpoint.

The construction reason sounds suss.

But you've just reminded me I don't have my SMS after resetting my phone. But I do have the email. Either would be easily faked if people wanted to do that.

Over the past 2-3 the NCT on my car has frequently been out of date for months due to the problems with the NCT waitlists etc. Seems odd then in a highly contagious outbreak I can't have my NCT out of date. I can't share a room (or a building) with this person but I can share a car, share a seat, touch all the same controls.

My other car has the 4 month extension. So it's NCT is out of date. So it's ok for one car but not the other.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

I have my NCT scheduled for tomorrow and this is with the 4 months extension. I presume at this stage it will go ahead as scheduled.

The problem is though if it fails how long are they allowing to book a retest? Are mechanics going to be allowed to operate to fix any faults before a retest in a few weeks time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

henke wrote: »
    I have my NCT scheduled for tomorrow and this is with the 4 months extension. I presume at this stage it will go ahead as scheduled.

The problem is though if it fails how long are they allowing to book a retest? Are mechanics going to be allowed to operate to fix any faults before a retest in a few weeks time?

I would say it is highly likely repair garages will be allowed operate through this. Essential workers need their cars running efficiently and more importantly safely, a nurse living in the back arse of Galway won't be getting to work without it.
    beauf wrote: »
    The construction reason sounds suss.

Since August probably about 20- 30 cases involving people working on the site I was on, probably 1000 people on it/ passing through it in that time. Not once was there an outbreak outside of individual work crews, it was basically one man brought it from outside, infected 2 or 3 lads he worked closely with, all three out for 2 weeks, that was the end of it. Never a case of one man bringing it in and dozens from various other crews catching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Garages are working. Just left the car in one to do front brakes. This is essential service.

I....Since August probably about 20- 30 cases involving people working on the site I was on, probably 1000 people on it/ passing through it in that time. Not once was there an outbreak outside of individual work crews, it was basically one man brought it from outside, infected 2 or 3 lads he worked closely with, all three out for 2 weeks, that was the end of it. Never a case of one man bringing it in and dozens from various other crews catching it.

We now have a more infectious version. A lot of sites will be outside and generally healthier people. Even inside often working with lots of ventilation and usually you can distance fairly well. So have it's not that can't be ok if people are smart about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Is construction closing?

Just for your information I believe there'll be an announcement this afternoon that construction on non public projects will be closing this Friday at 18.00.

Thanks for your reply and you stay safe ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

j@utis wrote: »

A full test is 54.10 euro and contactless limit is normally 50 euro or card needs to be inserted with pin entered.
    Typically you pay by card online when booking unless booking over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

zg3409 wrote: »
    A full test is 54.10 euro and contactless limit is normally 50 euro or card needs to be inserted with pin entered.
    Typically you pay by card online when booking unless booking over the phone.

I don't think there is a limit when using your phone for this though.
    As far as I know you can spend as much as you want via apple/android pay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a limit when using your phone for this though.
    As far as I know you can spend as much as you want via apple/android pay

When you put your card details when booking nct you don't even have to present it in the centre.

You really need to try hard to not to use contactless system when booking nct as 99% or more of the bookings are contactless payments online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just on this - is the extension staying at 4 months or is there any chance of it being extended again, what with the new lockdown??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Monokne wrote: »
    Just on this - is the extension staying at 4 months or is there any chance of it being extended again, what with the new lockdown??

Not heard anything but I'd say with NCT centres operating now there will not be an extension, they previously were closed during Lockdown MKI.

If looking for a booking try around 9.30pm when cancelled tests are released or call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hopefully no further extension to the nct tests because at present theres a crazy amount of very unroadworthy cars driving about with various light bulbs blown and certainly many other bigger issues. Lots of these drivers only bother to reluctantly get their vehicles roadworthy for the nct test...at least commercial vehicles even small vans get tested annually..its a culture here keep driving regardless until a vehicle falls an nct then moan cos it failed.. no regular maintenance unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Not heard anything but I'd say with NCT centres operating now there will not be an extension, they previously were closed during Lockdown MKI.

If looking for a booking try around 9.30pm when cancelled tests are released or call them.

Shame! Ta for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

My NCT is due middle of March. Since before Christmas I've been trying to book a date but kept getting a warning that my NCT is not due.

This morning I decided to press ahead anyway but the earliest date available now is after my due date.

I've selected that earliest date but will ring them on Monday.

That booking system needs to be much better organised.

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hopefully no further extension to the nct tests because at present theres a crazy amount of very unroadworthy cars driving about with various light bulbs blown and certainly many other bigger issues. Lots of these drivers only bother to reluctantly get their vehicles roadworthy for the nct test...at least commercial vehicles even small vans get tested annually..its a culture here keep driving regardless until a vehicle falls an nct then moan cos it failed.. no regular maintenance unfortunately..

Shows how little these cars get pulled by the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tsdckcaj

My car was tested in August 2020 just before I purchased it (an 08 Yaris) and is now due for NCT before the 16th of January. I was under the impression the 4 months applied to me as that is what I was told when I purchased the car but now I think this is incorrect? I can't get a booking until the 26th of January so will I be okay until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

JackCDSt wrote: »
    My car was tested in August 2020 just before I purchased it (an 08 Yaris) and is now due for NCT before the 16th of January. I was under the impression the 4 months applied to me as that is what I was told when I purchased the car but now I think this is incorrect? I can't get a booking until the 26th of January so will I be okay until then?

You would be very hard done by for a guard to prosecute for just 10 days overdue under the current conditions

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

JackCDSt wrote: »
    Sounds like your car had a test outstanding since January 2020, in which case the four-month extension did not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hi there,

My NCT expired in February 2020. I have a 2009 car so it requires an annual NCT test. I havn't driven this car at all in 2020 as I had permanent access to a work vehicle which was extended throughout 2020 because of Covid.

I'm looking to get my own car back on the road again but I was wondering...

(a). if I book it in for an NCT and it passes how long will the certificate be valid for? The nearest dates available in my local test centre are April 2021.

(b). if I book it in can I print out a copy of the NCT booking confirmation to show at a Garda checkpoint if required? I'm guessing that I will not be able to drive at all until I have the NCT cert but I was just wondering if a printout of the booking confirmation might allow me to drive it pending the test.

The car is taxed and insured.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

A - Ring up and you'll get one sooner. Also keep trying their website as it's constantly updating and closer dates pop up all the time. Not sure on length of cert you'll get, I think this side of 12months will only be the remaining so better to wait till after you're current one is over a year old (open to correction on this)

B- No, you can't drive it anywhere without an NCT. You used to to be able to driver without one if you were going to your test or to get repair done but I'm pretty sure this loophole is gone. How far are you from the centre? if you're only a stones throw I'd risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

I was in and out in 15mins. They ask if your car was serviced in the last six months, and mine was, so I wonder if they just do a shortened test or if the covid backlog has forced a shorter test for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I have not driven my car since the start of the lockdown last March and my NCT expired in March 2020.

When trying to book it online it's showing that I don't have a test due until March 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I was in and out in 15mins. They ask if your car was serviced in the last six months, and mine was, so I wonder if they just do a shortened test or if the covid backlog has forced a shorter test for everyone.

Servicing has nothing to do with the test .. who asked you that ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement