Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,007 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fairly sure it will be from the expiry date. I had a similar issue over a year ago ... see my post above - No 925

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

New test dates become available all the time on the NCT website but you need to check it regularly, especially just after midnight, you shouldn’t have any problem getting a date within a week, cancellations often come up at short notice also.

The two years is from the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cheers. I've booked the late date so that'll do now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

If you ring them i’d say they would give you a test date sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question re: motor tax and NCT.

My 181 due it's 1st NCT mid Jan, and I can get a test on Tuesday, but my motor tax was out end Dec.

Can I go ahead with NCT ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Thanks....had already booked the appt thinking same.

... and they message me today to cancel my NCT.

Assuming it was covid related, they must be short of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Due date next week and just been messaged that the booked NCT for this weekend is cancelled. Can't get another till April. Is it still the case that I shouldn't have to pay for that test since I did everything required and it's them who can't provide me a test within the due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

You need to ring them and then they will offer you a test date either straight away or a random date sent to you in a day or two by text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Thanks, just been on the phone to them as it happens. Covid exceptions means no, they won't give it to me for free 😏, on the plus side though, got a new date just over a week away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

If a car is due say this month, shouldn't people be able to get one for the month without having to pick a date for next month(s)

Due to covid staff are out due to close contacts, they were closed for many months causing a backlog, more older cars on the road requiring an NCT, I could go on. If you have 100 slots and 110 cars that want to book them something has got to give. They have hidden slots for those who make a fuss and garages that want to put cats through for a sale. They have targets to meet but they can't realistically meet them. Some centres are nearly open 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Miscreant

In an ideal world, yes. The NCT disk on the window shows you the expiry date though, and you have up to 90 days before that date to get a test. Getting in early is key sometimes. Otherwise, be online around 11pm/Midnight on the NCT website and you might get an appointment closer to your expiry date. Failing that, get on the phone and call them; I have always found the NCT staff are willing to help you over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I got the NCT done eventually. Unfortunately they failed me due a dust cover of a boll joint damaged, well I did damaged it a bit while working on drive shaft a year ago. Last year the NCT mechanic did not notice, now different mechanic, different story...The ball joint is in good working order. I have ordered a few dust covers from eBay, I might get away with this....The ball joint has rivets from factory, not nuts & bolts, not easy to remove them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Mine current NCT is out on the 24th of March this year, confirmed by checking the details on the NCTS site.

When I go to book it tells me it's not due yet, but I can acknowledge and proceed. I never remember that message any other year, is that something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did you get the 4 month extension?

Mine was out last September but it got extended until January.

I'd assume it's likewise with yours.

That's if they are still doing that for cars due this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

My car is due it's NCT towards the end of March too and I get the same warning. If I check the NCT due date at https://www.ncts.ie/1101/ it shows the due date as expected, towards the end of March and I've booked the NCT for a few weeks before the due date to allow for any repairs and retest if needed.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

No, no extension. That's the due date according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Warwick green

Can't get an appointment for my car until end of may, anywhere in Dublin. The cert expires in 2 weeks. Is the 11pm / 12am website trick actually real, has anyone had success getting a cancellation?: must try it later otherwise will need to get on the phone to them

• Advertisement

I've used it before when I had left it a bit too near the deadline and it worked for me. Try repeatedly going through a few of the nearest test centres just after the 'magic hour' for the best chance of an appointment becomng available.

Yes there is a vague confusing warming on the website. It's somewhat new. If you are within 90 days of real expiry date then go ahead and book.

Waiting until midnight for extra slots can work, and phoning them works better but over the phone they often say you will get a text within 3 days with a random date and time for test which is not ideal. There are extra slots reserved for those who complain. It's a silly system and they are struggling to keep up with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

If I have my nct booked but its out of date can I still drive

It's an offence to drive a car with an out of date NCT. Ring the helpline and get a sooner date. If you do drive bring a print out of NCT booking which might help you if stopped. Ensure all other things like tax are up to date and have your driving licence with you and full insurance documents. Ideally dont drive, but unlikely you will face any penalty if only stopped for this one offence. You can re-tax your car with no NCT

I got an appointment last night. I booked it around 1710, and there was about 6/7 slots available for that evening. It's worth looking after 5pm if you are ready to go.

I'd do my best to get your NCT done on time. The penalties for driving a vehicle without a valid NCT are fairly high.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/driving_offences.html#lbc213

It is an offence to drive a vehicle in a public place without a current NCT certificate. This applies to vehicles from the fourth anniversary of their first registration. The penalty for driving without an NCT certificate is a fine of up to €2000, and/or up to 5 penalty points and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months.

I wouldn't be happy to have to rely on someone tuning a blind eye to it at the roadside, particularly with the controversy around quashing penalty points in the not too distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

went online to book a nct for my wifes car. Test is due 29th March. NCT bookings offer nearest dates end of June early July. Anywhere in Dublin. Lol. This country is so backarsed and so behind any other European country on so many simple things and yet chancing every opportunity to brag about how modern they are. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I’m in the same boat with mine , NCT due end of March and can only get an appointment slot in July in my nearest test centre !

I couldn’t book a slot a few weeks back as I was getting a message something like “ not due for nct at this time “

How do we get a test in March ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Getting my first NCT test in over 10 years and only learning now from this thread that it is possible to book it four months before expiry. Was on a motorbike for the last 10 years so this stuff feels new to me. My cars NCT expires on March the 8th and the system is offering me an a booking June 10th which is a disaster as I need to get around. I'll be ringing them up and trying the midnight trick as suggested here but wondering if anyone knows if a car without a valid NCT then has its insurance invalidated?

Also have an engine light on, Im told its something to do with the catalytic converter. Will be going to the mechanics soon about it but wondering does that come under the NCT? Just in case I get offered something like a day or two away on the phone I dont want to go ahead with a test until that is sorted if they check catalytic converters on the test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement