Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I booked my test in January for March 1, my card was debited on the day of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

And to close my posts on this... I have just been given appointments for both cars for the end of May.... on the same day... at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Booking today for a June expiry, next available date Fonthill 27 October ( over 5 months out ) sure what can you do but take it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

If you check the NCT website several times a day and especially just after midnight you’ll get a date within a few days or a couple of weeks. You can ring them either and get a test a lot sooner than that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I just checked for fun and indeed next available appointment in Naas is at the end of October.

This is ridiculous.

My car is due in January for its first NCT and if I wasn't on boards I wouldn't know I have to book it next month lol.

Can't book for January yet, but December is available.

This should not be drivers responsibility to find a workaround, log on at midnight and all that crap.

The website also states this is drivers responsibility to have valid nct. WTF like.

• Advertisement

Also my NCT expired in 1900 so I am 122 years out of date.

Hope the Gardaí won't prosecute me for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭User1998

Either book an NCT at mid night and get a date within a few days or call them and get a date within a few weeks.

I normally sleep at midnight ;)

It's just silly that people have to book at midnight or beg them over the phone so the car can get tested.

This is not fit for purpose system so they should either offer another 4 or 6 months extension or update their online booking system more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It is silly but for some reason that's what's happening.

I checked mine in December and loads of availability for January, it was due end of January.

That lulled me into false sense of security.

From January on it just seems all the dates have been months away.

I booked mine at 23:30 ish and got appointment in 3 days....I have to say as annoying as it was they were extremely efficient at the centre....I think it was the quickest visit I've ever had . The tester was in my car within 5 mins of my arrival and off they went.

I'll happily take the 23:30 hit if it means less time hanging around an nct test centre tbh.

Ah I know I do agree with you. Before covid there was a month waiting list which isn’t too bad. But its just been getting worse and worse and has actually gotten worse since lockdown ended. I do NCT’s all the time but its even getting difficult to get a test date at midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

My card was debited straight away and took 3 days to get it back when they cancelled the test.

Looks like they now charge at the time of booking, not when you present the car for the test.

It's important they get paid I guess ;)

Well i went on the priority list and got a booking for 2 weeks ahead but they didnt take the money straightaway this time.

They took the money this morning when I went to the centre passed anyway was done in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Is priority list something you get on by phoning them?

My dad's car is due start of June. I wasn't aware there was a long waiting list so when I checked the NCT date the earliest is 27th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah you need to phone them and they'll put you on the priority/cancellation list for one centre.

Just try online around 23:30 ish new slots open up. I had the choice of a few times over a couple of different days ....but they were in 48/72 hrs of booking so if your car needs attention make sure you can get it sorted before the test.

Saw a date for the 25th of May but was "occupied" when I try to book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is an online method to get on priority list as screenshot above although you may be better ringing at non peak time and negotiating the best date and time that works for you as online priority system has only basic options

• Advertisement

I got on the priority list online.

I rang them them on Monday and got a text message to confirm my request for an appointment. I haven't heard back at all since. The center was for Fonthill Dublin.

If I book a date now would I be removed from the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Joke of a system. On my laptop their site isn't working for no discernable reason, on my phone first it warns me I'm outside of 90 days, then offers me test dates in November! Expiry is late Sep. Filled in the priority list thing... 🙄 This is what privatised public services look like - NDLS are hopeless also.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

applied for a cancellation 5 weeks ago via the online form, got an email saying i'd be contacted within two weeks with an appointment. heard nothing back; so i just rang them and they still couldn't offer me anything, but said 'oh, you should be hearing from us soon'.

for the laugh, i asked what i should say if a garda stops me as my NCT is now out of date. she said she couldn't help, but gave me a slightly arch 'you can book your test once you're within 90 days of NCT expiry'. that's bleedin' great, when there's a near five month waiting list. you can book three months early and get a date that's a month and a half late.

You can actually book a test whenever you like but no one thinks about their NCT 6 months in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Based on this requesting priority via website, results in no reply within the 2 weeks response limit they promised. Even ringing gives no date.

It looks like the waiting list has become worse, and with shortage of new cars on the market older ones will be kept later making problem worse.

I am getting dates today (June) saying next available date November!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Testing older cars every year instead of two seems to be when the problems started. Of course we all knew this was to drive people out of older cars and pay VRT and VAT on new ones, nothing to do with road safety.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I had to test my old car every year and I never had any issues getting an appointment.....well I always left it last minute and then there was panic but always had an appointment within 3 weeks. There was never a 5 month waiting list.

When I went to book my test (new car every 2 years now) in December there was loads of availability for January. My NCT was due end of January. However I didn't book it at the time as I had a few things coming up in January. Then when I went to book there was no availability.

I got a spot by checking the site at 23:30, the car had been serviced in December so I was confident enough to bring it and get tested. The test centre itself wasn't busy I was in and out the quickest I've ever been. That's even with the lads out having their morning tea break.

I suspect some people didn't want to bring their car during winter as they didn't want to wait in the waiting room but also didn't want to be standing outside in the middle of winter.

With some people working from home driving less they took the risk of being a month or two out of date waiting until spring/summer ....now there's a massive backlog.

I would also hazard a guess that overall capacity has been reduced due to covid more so than anything to do with getting cars tested every year....that's in about 10 years now if not longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my car was due its NCT in january but they sent me a mail stating that because of the covid backlog, they extended the deadline to may. maybe that's why you got a slot easily in january.

• Advertisement

No I procrastinated alot ..it was very early March when I did the test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement