Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was just trying to book online and the request would not go beyond taking my reg. No explanation.

I rang the booking line between 8 and 9 am and it said the office was closed, though it says on the website that it is open from 8am.

I rang after 9 and got put on the priority list and the assistant said the online system was overwhelmed and would not give an appointment till next year, but phoning would get an appointment or get you on the priority list and a booking within 28 days. I am to be put on the priority list (my NCT is due end of October).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Need to have retest done by next Monday, had to waits on parts and mechanic so only ready this eve. there were no appointments online so I called, got an appointment for 8.10 Saturday in a diff centre an hour and a half away, said that’s all that was available.

I wanted to check after midnight and see if there are appointments closer to me. Will I lose my current booking if I go past this page or how far can I go without losing current booking? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I

It's the same mess every year for years.

I expect the phone system is now being overloaded. I've had no call back from the phone line. I'll have to get back to them now on Monday.

Can't get a date for second car due next year. I was advised to wait until 28 datys out and ring then. That sounds like it will be a disaster.

Can't book early, on time or later. Is this just Dublin. I'm I just unlucky every year or is the same for many other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Particularly bad this year, previous few years was always poxy with next available dates about 3 months in advance but was always able to get a suitable cancelation spot within a couple of weeks after checking the website a number of times throughout the day. This year is hopeless, next available date 6 months in advance, was showing early Apr 2023 for a few Dublin centers a couple of weeks ago and despite repeatedly checking their stupid website no improvement. I'm on the waiting list now nearly a week so might have some response next week.

System isn't fit for purpose so need to give everyone a 6 month moratorium to kick the can down the road and start heavily fining Applus until they get their house in order. It's become a significant hassle to get a yearly NCT once the car is 10+ years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Are NCT centres testing less cars per day than they used to?

Are they still using the aul Covid nonsense as an excuse to do SFA?

• Advertisement

I got an appointment for a few days before my NCT was due, at my preferred location. It came the middle of last week.

Waterford. They were trying to offer me Kilkenny but its not very handy from my location.

I think I'll start booking outside of Dublin see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

NCT waiting times in the News today, NCTS blaming staff shortages.

Looks like the official 'nod and a wink, sure drive her on, you'll be grand' approach to this law is still enforce. They really should insert a clause in the actual law at this stage to cover this situation rather than leave it as such a grey area and relying on Garda discretion.

"Mr Waide said: "Insurance Ireland has confirmed its members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to the current delays at the NCTS. Cover will continue to be provided where customers, through no fault of their own, are unable to obtain their NCT due to backlogs at test centres."

He will also say the National Roads Policing Unit in An Garda Síochána has been briefed.

"Customers should carry proof of their test booking confirmation to produce to a member of An Garda Síochána if required," he said."

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just blaming staff shortages is a joke. They are providing an essential service. If they can't get or keep staff then they need to increase wages but no, they'd rather have bigger profits and clearly don't give a damn about the public

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Evneing folks.

Is it after midnight that the cancellations are updated?

My test is due in January, but the next available time for me is the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I found around 23:30 was a good time, I got a spot within the week for Dublin, but that was in March.

Something came up on my Facebook page that they are going to be hiring mechanics from abroad to fill the gap ...think it was Spain and Philippines.....seems totally random.

After all my moaning I got a slot yesterday through the website, for today. Passed earlier. The phone line never rang even though I was on the "urgent" list.

I'll start hunting for the next appointment that's in 5 months now. I had one for about a minute but by the time I got sorted it was gone.

I thought the slots get released about 11am but I might be imagining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I just logged in to the NCT website and there are slots available for a whole week near the beginning of November in Athlone if anyone is interested. I think the dates are from the 7th to the 12th or thereabouts.

Might be worth it for someone looking for a quick appointment as it is only 2 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

This article is mostly waffle. If you ring and make a fuss you get a test date, they don't give many free tests.

--------

Dublin car owners may qualify for free NCT with no appointments in the capital until April 2023

Many drivers are eligible for a free test where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period

Dublin car owners may be eligible for a free NCT appointment as there are no available slots in Dublin until April 2023.

A spokesperson for the RSA told Dublin Live that the average NCT waiting time nationwide is currently 24.5 days. However, Dublin appears to be lagging far behind this timeframe with no appointments available online until April 2023.

Here are the next available appointments online at Dublin NCT centres at the time of writing:

Fonthill- April 27, 2023

Deansgrange- April 27, 2023

Greenhills- April 26, 2023

Northpoint 1- May 4, 2023

Northpoint 2, May 3, 2023.

The test costs €55. However, according to the NCTS customer charter, you will be provided a free test where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period, unless any of the following apply:

The test is overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting the NCTS;

An appointment was offered 7 days or more prior to the test due date;

You have made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates;

You have declined or rearranged two or more appointments;

You have failed to attend an appointment; or

You have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period.

A spokesman for the Road Safety Authority told Dublin Live that Covid-19 has caused "significant staff absenteeism" at test and call centres. He added that test appointments "are being released continually across all NCT centres, and also, many slots become available through cancellations or rescheduling of appointments."

Customers who require an earlier appointment than available online are asked to contact NCTS on 01 4135992 or place themselves on the priority list on the NCTS website. The spokesman added: "The vast majority of all customers who use the priority list are getting a test within 4 – 5 weeks of application. Car owners are encouraged to check their NCT due date on the NCTS website https://www.ncts.ie/1101."

The spokesman added that there are "very high levels of customer no-shows and late cancellations, which is severely impacting the NCTS operations and their ability to offer these appointments to other customers."

He continued: "NCTS asks customers if they know in advance that they will not be able to make their NCT appointment on the day, to let them know as soon as possible (they can cancel through the NCTS call centre on 014135992 or online www.ncts.ie) so that those appointments could be offered to those customers on the priority list.

"Whilst appointment schedules are opened up well into the future to facilitate customers with specific requirements, this is not a true reflection of the availability of appointments as slots are released continuously each week based on staff availability.

"The NCT Regulations allow that a car may be tested up to 90 days in advance of the test due date without affecting the expiry date of the certificate issued. This system is in place to ensure all owners have sufficient time to have their vehicles successfully tested before the current certificate expires."

That spokesman for the RSA is full of crap. Using staff shortages, no shows and late cancellations as excuses for the current NCT shambles displays a serious brass neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

It would seem that Applus are unable to provide their contracted service…therefore are no longer fit for purpose

What ever about actually doing the NCT. Their computer and phone system can't keep up either. It's not doing anything complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

and this text about responsibility in current situation sounds like an insult. My responsibility for not thinking such an idiotic issue can exist in modern world. For not foreseeing this farce and not booking a new test right after I passed the last test. Wonderful.

• Advertisement

It’s incredible that the NCT contract hasn’t been taken off Applus. Their testers are lazy and incompetent. They’re still using the Covid BS as an excuse not to test cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So much for the supposed discretion that was to be shown due to the long waiting lists for an NCT appointment ...

As it currently stands the entire system is unfit for purpose. The minister for transport shoud bring in a statutory instrument extending all NCT certificates by six months, (possibly up to eight or nine to allow for supposed apointment within 28 days and up to ninety day early test period).

The minister should either provide a solution to the problem or resign and hand the role over to someone who is able to provide a solution.

Continuing to allow a situation where it is bordering on impossible for a significant number of motorists to continue to drive legally within a disfunctional legislative environment is untenable.

Some of them are. Some of them are making up their own rules regarding what is a failure and what is a pass. There is no consistency in the testing. It’s well known that some centres are easier to get a car passed in than others. It’s also well known that certain times of the day or week are easier to get cars passed than others depend on which testers are there. It’s a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

What is the average wait time at moment. My NCT expired today. I booked my test on October 1st, which is now 7 weeks ago and put on priority list. Followed up couple times in recent weeks but heard nothing. Wonder what their definition is of priority list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I was 5 weeks waiting on the priority list, that was in Fonthill and had the test a couple of weeks ago so similar initial start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

If you're sitting on the website waiting for a slot, pick a slot you don't want. Fill out all the details then cancel out. When a slot you want becomes available you can auto-fill your details. Those slots go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

I had a test last Wednesday and the car passed.

They gave me a certificate which is already 3 months out of date.

Clearly I was very late in putting it through

What do I do now ?Book another test immediately?

They said nothing to me at the centre and I just assumed the car was in order as it had just passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Was it due for the last 15 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭User1998

Is this even possible? I thought if a car has an expired NCT even for 5+ years you are just given a 6 month certificate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement