Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

No available dates in Naas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone know if a UK driving licence is a valid ID to present for a test these days? I’m on holiday on the date of my test and was going to get my dad to come down and do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

NCT up on Feb 16th, never relaised until i got email the other day, went online to book test, nearest date is May. Filled out the form to be placed on priority list, is this actually worthwhile, ie is there any chance i'll get a date soon and is there any point ringing them up to see? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Yes......was put on priority list on 9 January.

Got appointment for this coming Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I went on the list Thursday but got lucky and got a date on Friday for this morning. There's always cancellations so keep an eye if you want to go a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Does the registered owner of the car need bring the car to the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No but bring the vehicle cert if ye gave it and whoever brings it needs to show their licence

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Agreed. Got one of my cars through in 2nd week of January on a last minute cancellation. Online. Though my motor factors man swears that ringing up works best.

Question for those who know please: my spare car, a Nissan Primera P12 flew through test last year with no issues. This year, 1. foggy lights (solved with baking soda & vinegar and elbow grease and then a touch of WD40 on the day until I get them sanded and sealed). 2. But also battery not clamped down?? That stumped me as I had recalled having to unbolt the base clamp to free the battery.

I've read about NCT booklet about the battery being held by a lip not being sufficient. But surely if the battery is held by a bolted down clamp at its base so pressure down on a 'lip' rather than against the side of the battery i.e. the OEM fitting and correct replacement battery , surely that suffices?

It took me quite a few minutes to free the battery the last time I took it out to bench charge, so surely it doesnt require a flimsy overhead steel bracket? They passed it last year and nothing has changed, not with the car nor the NCT manual, to my knowledge.

If I decide to, and cant get a steel bracket today (I see Halfords have one) then will a ratchet strap suffice? Velcro strap?

Thanks all

Edit: Think it wasn't catching on the back lip correctly. Photographed and clamped back and front now at base as per OEM. Battery has correct footprint. Fingers crossed they leave it at that.

Edit. She passed. Happy days.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi, no definitely not. Whoever presents it must bring their licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

I got very lucky today.

I messed up and thought I had another month or so until the NCT was up, but it actually expired 2 days ago. The soonest I could book online for my local centre was for June! I then put myself on the priority list ( I use the car to get around for work), which said they would be in touch within 2 weeks, but as it is expired wasn't the best. (My fault I know)

I chanced my arm and called them up, lovely woman on the phone took my details and as we were speaking she had a cancellation just come through for 10am this morning, it was 9:30am at that time. I said I'll take it, cue a mad dash to get the car ready and down there, luckily I live very close.

All passed no bother and I was home by 10:30am. Great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ringing helps. I am doing my test around 80 days early so I get a 2+ year disc. I hope to sell car.

They do give priory to those who have no valid NCT and priority to retests. Book early and ring up and hassle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I applied for nct in November 22. Got a date in late may 23. So 6 months wait. I queried with nct about a free test as outside 28 days window. This was the response. Dates have been changed etc.

Thank you for your recent correspondence. I understand it is your contention that the test fee should not have been applied. I will attempt to clarify this matter.

I can see that your NCT appointment was booked on the 01/11/2022 for an appointment to take place on the 28/05/2023.

The NCT have in place a priority booking list. If there is no appointment available within a four-week period, you may add your vehicle to the priority booking list which ensures your vehicle will be tested within the 4 weeks. A notice is displayed on our website at the time of booking which confirms the following: ​ “If you are unable to obtain an appointment at your chosen Test Centre then please contact our call centre (01-4135992). It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle always holds a valid NCT.”

On review of our records, it appears that this option was not selected, and you subsequently accepted a booking for the 28/05/2023.

The NCT Customer Charter was developed to ensure a quality service for our customers with recompense by way of a free test if an appointment cannot be provided within the four-week period. In this case, regrettably NCT has not been afforded the opportunity to provide an appointment within the 4-week period.

Based on the above, regrettably, I can only conclude that the test fee was correctly applied on this occasion.

I appreciate that this may not be the response you had hoped for, however should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.​

Kind Regards,

TBH. I cant even remember seeing a priority option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I sent an email a couple of weeks ago asking for a slot if there's a cancellation. Got an email today to say that they'd cancel my current booking and put me on that priority list.

I wonder if that's as quick as ringing up looking for an earlier date?

I think they are saying you accepted a later date and did not ring instead of booking.

It's a confusing system designed to prevent free tests. Basically you must say you are available 24/7 for a 4 week period and they pick a time that works for them. The only way is over the phone and if you cause a fuss all they do is give you a test date. I assume they avoid free tests at all costs.

I think there is near zero chance of getting a free test even following every letter of the rules.

Definitely ring them works better than website or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Zero free tests in 2022 since the clause was reactivated in October

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You accepted a test date six months out and are now complaining it was six months out?!?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭User1998

People need to realise that there isn’t actually a 9 month wait for an NCT.

There are several ways to book an NCT. The online booking system has a 9 month wait, but the other methods of booking generally have less than a 4 week waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seeing the re-test availability shows there isn’t a 9 month wait. I got my re-test 2 days after my first test and there are times available every 5 mins for a week in some places. They simply prioritise re-tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Advertisement

Once you accepted that date you were saying to them that that date was fine as far as you were concerned. If it's not fine then don't accept it, get on the phone (well, you can still accept it and then phone them for an earlier one anyway, but accepting a long date means giving up any chance of a free test)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Retest time was up that day, its not imbalance (that was fine) its performance, so how well it holds the car, they said its 7% but that would not correlate with actual correct use of the handbrake.

I filed a formal complaint and its going back in the end of Feb for a free test by the manager of the Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CosyChair

Just check online for test date for my car up on the 7th of march i am in limerick its booked out till july so is ennis & neangh so i am ringing them monday & if they cant give me a test date on or before my nct expires i am getting a free test of them.

Also they cant ask me to travel to dublin for a test if they cant give limerick i am due a free test.

You will not be getting a free test

Yes i will i am not backing down rang this morning said they would put me on the priority list but i have not received a text or email to confirm this so i will be ringing them again to sort this out recording the call this time so i will have proof i booked a test. I would advice everyone else to do the same as you can have your car taken off you driving without a nct atleast i will have audio proof i made the call.

Just read this it seem they have 28 day to give you a test date from when you contact them i giving more day asi am not up till 07/03 its still showing online as july being earliest for a test date so i cant see them giving me one on time with 2013 cars now due to be tested adding to the problem.

They prioritise those who ring and you will get an email or text in next few weeks with a random date. Very very unlikely you will not have to pay. Others thought they were entitled to a free test then got caught by small print.

There is test dates, indeed some centres seem pretty quiet, maybe due to lack of staff, but not enough tests available for 100% of people who want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For any night owls in Dublin there's lots of tests available right now in Northpoint 1 on March 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16 between midnight and 3am 😁.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement