Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

NCT website is pretty clear on this tbh - if your NCT cert expired after Mar 28, you're grand and it's extended for 4 months. If it expired before that, or you didn't have a cert to begin with you're effectively driving with no NCT and your car will be seized.

Dumb rules lot of people couldn't get a NCT before that because of problems with the lifts.

• I've been stopped twice by the Gardai with an NCT expired since February. I had brought it in but couldn't get the lift part of the test done. I showed them the proof of the partial test and they both said that was grand and to drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

beauf wrote: »
    Dumb rules lot of people couldn't get a NCT before that because of problems with the lifts.

If you got a partial test, that's covered.
    My NCT certificate has expired since February but because of the lifts issue, I had a partial test only, no underbody inspection was carried out. What is my position?
    You should continue to carry the Vehicle Inspection Report showing an incomplete test, with you in the car to present to a member of An Garda Síochána, if required. This Report has been amended to show clearly that the NCT is incomplete due to the lifts issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

how are dealers selling uk imports are going to deal with it - they presumably can’t deliver cars to customers until the VRT office reopens or is there a different (online?) process for dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pacman1989

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Looks like the NCT won't be back up and running for a while yet..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0513/1138224-face-coverings-transport/

How the NCT and a driving test can be in the same category I do not know.
    It's fairly easy to take social distancing measures in a nct . Wait outside for the car to be done. Testers wear masks and gloves and that's it .
    I have sold my car recently and am trying to get another car on the road with a nct up a good while. It's a joke that there is no emergency testing in this situation even on the horizon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I just insured a uk reg no problem, insurer just said to let them know as soon as it’s on Irish plates.

Mine has been insured as a uk reg since I imported it here in January. I couldn't register it here due to logbook issues. Revenue have finally said the car can be registered with the documentation I have, but the insurance company said they won't insure me until its registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

NCT website is pretty clear on this tbh - if your NCT cert expired after Mar 28, you're grand and it's extended for 4 months. If it expired before that, or you didn't have a cert to begin with you're effectively driving with no NCT and your car will be seized.

The NCT were incapable of completing tests long before March 28th. Not sure when the lift fiasco began but I absolutely wasn't going to pay €55 for half a test and be told to come back in a few weeks/months to complete the other half. I'm aware of what it says on the site but Shane Ross has implied that it's entirely possible that we won't be able to get cars tested this side of 2021. I've got a car that's roadworthy, taxed and insured so I'll be taking my chances and I'll be ready to talk to any guard that takes issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MM3 wrote: »
    how are dealers selling uk imports are going to deal with it - they presumably can’t deliver cars to customers until the VRT office reopens or is there a different (online?) process for dealers?

They won't be able to complete delivery until it's registered. I would bet the VRT office at the NCT centres will open soon enough, it's a huge cash cow the government are missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭wassie

No it wont - Garda are being pragmatic. Cars are not being seized sole on basis of no NCT due to shutdown alone.

Mine was due in mid-March and had a booking for 28 March on day of closure. I carry my appt letter with me and confirmed with my insurer that my insurance would remain valid until I can reasonably obtain NCT. I have been through numerous checkpoints in last 3 weeks and only on 2 occasions has NCT been queried. Explained the situation and showed the letter and they were fine.

TLDR: If you have tried to do the right thing and been caught short, you will be fine. If your NCT was well past due before the shutdown, you were already running the gauntlet.

wassie wrote: »
    No it wont - Garda are being pragmatic. Cars are not being seized sole on basis of no NCT due to shutdown alone.

Mine was due in mid-March and had a booking for 28 March on day of closure. I carry my appt letter with me and confirmed with my insurer that my insurance would remain valid until I can reasonably obtain NCT. I have been through numerous checkpoints in last 3 weeks and only on 2 occasions has NCT been queried. Explained the situation and showed the letter and they were fine.

TLDR: If you have tried to do the right thing and been caught short, you will be fine. If your NCT was well past due before the shutdown, you were already running the gauntlet.

Read yer mans post though - Car delcared off the road, no NCT in 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭mk7r

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    The NCT were incapable of completing tests long before March 28th. Not sure when the lift fiasco began but I absolutely wasn't going to pay €55 for half a test and be told to come back in a few weeks/months to complete the other half. I'm aware of what it says on the site but Shane Ross has implied that it's entirely possible that we won't be able to get cars tested this side of 2021. I've got a car that's roadworthy, taxed and insured so I'll be taking my chances and I'll be ready to talk to any guard that takes issue with it.

Have a look at the Twitter thread, they are being sensible if your NCT is out since Feb/March but actively prosecuting those out 6 -12 -18 months it seems, not sure I'd take the risk

mk7r wrote: »
    Have a look at the Twitter thread, they are being sensible if your NCT is out since Feb/March but actively prosecuting those out 6 -12 -18 months it seems, not sure I'd take the risk

I don't know what people are meant to do if they are looking to put a car back on the road . I wonder where would you stand if went to court with a nct that was out a few years but you couldn't get a nct as it's not open.
    I have a car with a nct out a year and I know it is in perfect condition . It has 4 new tyres only done 500 miles or so since last NCT and has been checked over by my father who is a mechanic .
    Surely government should allow people go to a car garage and get a report as a temporary solution until the centre opens back up again , this would solve a lot of issues people are having and give a boost to the motor trade

pacman1989 wrote: »
    I don't know what people are meant to do if they are looking to put a car back on the road . I wonder where would you stand if went to court with a nct that was out a few years but you couldn't get a nct as it's not open.
    I have a car with a nct out a year and I know it is in perfect condition . It has 4 new tyres only done 500 miles or so since last NCT and has been checked over by my father who is a mechanic .
    Surely government should allow people go to a car garage and get a report as a temporary solution until the centre opens back up again , this would solve a lot of issues people are having and give a boost to the motor trade
    The last thing we need is people slipping mechanics 100 quid to declare a ****ebox fit for purpose and put back on the roads for another year.

The last thing we need is people slipping mechanics 100 quid to declare a ****ebox fit for purpose and put back on the roads for another year.

I would not give a pass for a year just until the NCT centres open again which hopefully will be in the next month or 2.
    I'm fairly sure if you have this report and the gardaí can see visually that the car is not road worthy ie bald tyres ect that action would be taken .
    I don't see any registered garages that would be willing to certify a car as fit for purpose when it's not for a hindered quid . The risk to them would be too much .
    I personally have decided that I will drive my car as I know it's perfect . If I get stopped and charged I will argue my case in court . Only in Ireland could you be charged with not having a nct when the centres are closed and it is impossible to get one

I don't know what people are meant to do if they are looking to put a car back on the road.
    At the moment the answer is you don't get to put a car back on the road, whether thats right or wrong i'm not sure but I doubt anyone would get anywhere arguing in court, no NCT is still no NCT unfortunately and many people have been charged during this pandemic for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I don't know what people are meant to do if they are looking to put a car back on the road.
    Considering how easy it is to pick up a cheap car with valid test, there's definitely other options than putting a car on the road with a test expired over a year.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Considering how easy it is to pick up a cheap car with valid test, there's definitely other options than putting a car on the road with a test expired over a year.

Why buy another car when I already have one . In these times I don't want to be wasting money on a bucket with a nct when I have a perfectly good car sitting up .
    In the UK the mot is still testing for such situations but as usual in this country led by dimwits no consideration is taken . I suppose there is too much cash to made from the fines while the cash cow that's is a nct is closed

Read yer mans post though - Car delcared off the road, no NCT in 2 years.

Just reread your post - My bad!

Spot on. But then again whilst the NCTS may be more robust, doesn't mean individuals are still open to corruption.

Why buy another car when I already have one . In these times I don't want to be wasting money on a bucket with a nct when I have a perfectly good car sitting up .
    In the UK the mot is still testing for such situations but as usual in this country led by dimwits no consideration is taken . I suppose there is too much cash to made from the fines while the cash cow that's is a nct is closed

Now that restrictions have eased in the UK I'm not sure but during their lockdown there were no tests and it was/is tough luck for those out more than 6 months. The government doesn't make or lose money with the NCT closed? Its run by a private company

A private company paid by....the government. Make no doubt Applus will be looking for some sort of assistance from the taxpayer thanks to an enforced shutdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've a car I want back on the road but NCT ran out year and half....

Can't do anything with it for now.

wassie wrote: »
    A private company paid by....the government. Make no doubt Applus will be looking for some sort of assistance from the taxpayer thanks to an enforced shutdown.

I'm sure they will, the point was its not really a "cash cow" as was described

Why buy another car when I already have one .
    Simple - the one you have has an excessively expired NCT so while it may be in perfect shape, its not road-legal in any sense. If you're that desperate to have a car on the road then suck it up and buy a s**tter for a few months while things get back on track. :rolleyes:

mk7r wrote: »
    I'm sure they will, the point was its not really a "cash cow" as was described

I'm fairly sure the NCT is not operating tax free and also the vrt collected from the centres goes to the government . Also add to that the fines that are given for cars without a nct . I'd imagine all that together nets the government a pretty penny

I don't see any registered garages that would be willing to certify a car as fit for purpose when it's not for a hindered quid . The risk to them would be too much .

Too much risk is clearly the reason it was rampant before yeah? It's still possible with the NCT, so I don't know why you believe it'd be much less likely for mechanics to take a bribe for it.

Simple - the one you have has an excessively expired NCT so while it may be in perfect shape, its not road-legal in any sense. If you're that desperate to have a car on the road then suck it up and buy a s**tter for a few months while things get back on track. :rolleyes:

I'll just take my chances and drive it . Good luck to the gardaí attempting to prosecute me for not having something that I cannot get at present . I have no problem going to court to argue my case . Maybe if more people stood up and challenged this ridiculous situation they might reconsider their poa .
    I'm surprised they didn't stop people taxing their cars and then go and fine everyone out on the roads without tax it's the same thing really . If this is something required by law then I would imagine it should be deemed essential .
    Certainly more essential than a Chinese take away or a bloody garden centre

I'm surprised they didn't stop people taxing their cars and then go and fine everyone out on the roads without tax it's the same thing really . If this is something required by law then I would imagine it should be deemed essential .
    Certainly more essential than a Chinese take away or a bloody garden centre
    Not really the same thing when you can tax a car online.

Certainly don't disagree with your last point though. If the ramps have been fixed (anyone know if they have?) then there's no good reason that the NCT can't get back up and running. Garages are opening their service departments on Monday, so with social distancing there's precious little difference between the two services.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not really the same thing when you can tax a car online.

Certainly don't disagree with your last point though. If the ramps have been fixed (anyone know if they have?) then there's no good reason that the NCT can't get back up and running. Garages are opening their service departments on Monday, so with social distancing there's precious little difference between the two services.

The minister for transport ,#nuffsaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

If the ramps have been fixed (anyone know if they have?) then there's no good reason that the NCT can't get back up and running.

The lifts haven't been fixed - there hasn't been a tap of work done on them since March. The NCT website clearly states that as long as the centres are closed there will be no work done on the faulty lifts, so when the NCT centres do open back up most of them will still be incapable of doing complete tests and, therefore, will be unable to pass most cars.

Make no mistake about it - when the NCT open its doors in September (or whenever they feel safe to do so) the backlog will be absolutely colossal. If you thought you experienced difficulty in booking before when they were functioning normally then just wait until you see what's ahead. Every test date in every centre will be booked out months in advance and every day the call centre be inundated with people checking if there's been any cancellations.

I'll be taxing my car on June 1st and driving with an expired NCT for the foreseeable future. Like Pacman above, I'll be ready to discuss the matter with any guard that takes issue with it and if needs be I'll go to court and spell it out for them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    The lifts haven't been fixed - there hasn't been a tap of work done on them since March. The NCT website clearly states that as long as the centres are closed there will be no work done on the faulty lifts, so when the NCT centres do open back up most of them will still be incapable of doing complete tests and, therefore, will be unable to pass most cars.

Make no mistake about it - when the NCT open its doors in September (or whenever they feel safe to do so) the backlog will be absolutely colossal. If you thought you experienced difficulty in booking before when they were functioning normally then just wait until you see what's ahead. Every test date in every centre will be booked out months in advance and every day the call centre be inundated with people checking if there's been any cancellations.

I'll be taxing my car on June 1st and driving with an expired NCT for the foreseeable future. Like Pacman above, I'll be ready to discuss the matter with any guard that takes issue with it and if needs be I'll go to court and spell it out for them there.

Update for the website on may 15th says
    "During the suspension of service, we have been continuing to repair and replace the vehicle inspection lifts in our test centres."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement