Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Brief answers to the big questions, SH

Just finished Mans search for meaning, VF, the kind of book that should be on the curriculum in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

mikhail wrote: »
    Only if you go in knowing that it's a very loose adaptation.

True, but it captures the spirit of the books in a new story. In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

fixXxer wrote: »
    True, but it captures the spirit of the books in a new story. In my opinion anyway.

I prefer it that way. If you want the book version just read the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    I finally took the plunge after people recommending it to me.
    7 chapters in - I dont know, I hope it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert.

This book changed by favourite genre from fantasy to sci-fi when I was a very young teenager.

And it's still brilliant :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Girl on Fire - Tony Parsons, bit by the numbers but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished Mordew last week. Not sure I'd recommend it and I'm pretty sure I won't read the rest of the trilogy when it's published. It just didn't grip me.

I read Marie Cassidy's Beyond the Tape last week too, it was ok. She jumps around quite a bit which I found frustrating at times but hey, she's not a writer, so...

Currently re-reading Stephen King's On Writing, I'll hit The Silence by Don DeLillo after that, and then I believe I'll dive into the wrist-breaker that is Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & The Light.

My to-be-read pile is pretty ridiculous at the moment and I just ordered another 5 or 6 books, but I've next week off work and there's literally nothing else to do but read, so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I read Marie Cassidy's Beyond the Tape last week too, it was ok. She jumps around quite a bit which I found frustrating at times but hey, she's not a writer, so..

Ah no, I got this recently and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Ah no, I got this recently and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very interesting read! There were just some elements of her style that jarred with me is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (Suzanne Collins), it's the prequel to The Hunger Games books.

If you enjoyed the books you'll probably enjoy this. If you haven't read them, I still feel like it would make more sense to read the other books first, rather than starting with this one.

It's about the life of Coriolanus Snow, I think he's about 18 in it. I think they got the balance well in making him a somewhat sympathetic villain. At times he is cold and greedy and narcissistic, but it's not black-and-white... He's at a formative age, you can see how the decisions he's making are leading him down the road of becoming the monster he becomes eventually... But he definitely has moments of kindness and compassion and humanity as well.

Worth a read. Better than I thought it would be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BurgundyRose

I'm reading the book by Vicky Phelan. She's a beautiful lady.

Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh.

The stop start feel to the book as a result of an excessive number of really short chapters did not go down well with me. A lot of two page long chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This was recommended by someone on Twitter, and I can see why.
    It's a very different book but so interesting.
    A tale of the stories and the glories of graveyards.

A Tomb With A View, by Peter Ross.
    Well written and more entertaining than I'd ever have imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

The Institute by Stephen King, as good as ever,I just love his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Despite not being mad about audiobooks I have started to listen to them on walks so far its been Dracula, Bram Stroker, and Rosemary's baby, Ira Levin you can find them on youtube and listen to them for free.

Well I can't say I'd recommend The Silence. Very much a case of (attempted) style over substance. I was going to read The Mirror and the Light next but I think I might need a brief fluff interlude first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reading “Standing in Gaps” by Seamus O’Rourke.

Very funny recount of growing up in rural Leitrim. I grew up across the border in Cavan and it was very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just finished Graham Norton’s new one - Home Stretch - loved it; the book just flows, very easy to read - he’s after improving, I read A Keeper and it was good, but I felt this was much better.

An Account of Murder, Mutiny and Mayhem concerning the affairs of the Blackest-hearted Villains from Irish History by Joe O'Shea.

I really enjoyed reading the tales of the bad guys of Irish history which included a cannibal, a slaver, a pirate and an opium warlord among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Dirty South by John Connolly.

The latest in the Charlie Parker series. I can't believe that Ireland can boast about having one of the best authors of the supernatural genre. He really is a master story teller. Highly recommended. For those who want to start reading the series..Every Dead Thing is the first book.

If you like it you'll be in for a treat as you're going to have many more books of his to read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Read Hope Never Dies and Hope Rides Again, the crime mystery thriller series where Joe Biden and Barack Obama solve crimes, some good political satire and the author manages to capture the personalities of the two men, a bit silly and good fun.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I read Marie Cassidy's Beyond the Tape last week too, it was ok. She jumps around quite a bit which I found frustrating at times but hey, she's not a writer, so...

I read this over the weekend and I have to agree with you on her jumping around the place. I found the first third of the book to be particularly all over the place. But in saying that, I thought it was an excellent memoir, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just started Why Fish Don't Exist... Only a vague idea what it's about after seeing it mentioned somewhere, but the hardback edition is very nicely done. Getting back in to paper books after years with a Kindle, so this was a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Leslie Kean's book "UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials go on the record"

Epic book on UFOs. Love the way most of the sightings were caught on radar, and how the UFOs were able to mess with the pilots instruments. Frightening stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Blood and oil - Mohammad bin Salman's ruthless quest for global power. Pretty good so far, albeit the names can be hard to remember at times.

It's written by one of the co-authors of the billion dollar whale which uncovered the 1MDB/Jho low scandal. They read in a similar vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am giving Milton's Paradise lost another go.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I am giving Milton's Paradise lost another go.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Daniel Defoe's Journal of The Plague Year.

Topical...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I'm currently on The Man who solved the Market by Gregory Zuckerman.

It's about a mathematician (Jim Simons) and his quantitative trading career. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's fascinating how the personal lives of these type of people are affected by their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Miami Showband massacre - the survivor was struggling to pay his mortgage back in the '70s, it was £30 per month.

Advertisement