Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just finished reading Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem.

Given that it was released in 1990 and the significant advances that have been made between then and now with forensic science, quite a bit is outdated. It took a while for me to get into it but all in all, it was quite enjoyable.

The plot centers around chief medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta who is thrown into the midst of a serial killer that breaks into the houses of single women and proceeds to rape and torture them before murdering them. Not only does Dr. Scarpetta have to deal with the pressure of trying to catch this guy as the body count rises, she most also try to protect herself as someone with a personal vendetta against her is trying to end her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Absolutely LOVE the early Kay Scarpetta books! I still dig them out every few years.

Personally I think they start deteriorating from around The Last Precinct onwards, the last couple I tried I found practically unreadable. But the earlier ones are just great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ted58

Absolutely LOVE the early Kay Scarpetta books! I still dig them out every few years.

Personally I think they start deteriorating from around The Last Precinct onwards, the last couple I tried I found practically unreadable. But the earlier ones are just great!

Couldn’t agree more. Was great fan in early days but later books are poor. In contrast James Lee Burke’s work has improved over time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Just finished champagne football and have started a book on the GCHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Ted58 wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more. Was great fan in early days but later books are poor. In contrast James Lee Burke’s work has improved over time in my opinion.
    I always loved his writing...anyone asks me about american detectives series I'd recommend him.Captures the place perfectly.

The cornwells books are stories by numbers. Her's and her husbands.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Dark Half by Stephen King

The cornwells books are stories by numbers. Her's and her husbands.

I thought she was a lesbian?

Ted58 wrote: »

Never read any of his, which series would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Never read any of his, which series would you recommend?

Try the Dave Robicheaux series. JLB is possibly my favourite author

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I thought she was a lesbian?

I’m not sure if she tags herself as gay or bi but she was married to a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

razorblunt wrote: »
    I’m not sure if she tags herself as gay or bi but she was married to a man.

Yeah she was married to her college lecturer who was 17 years older than her, that broke down and I think she is married to a woman now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘1066 and All That’ by W.C. Seller and R. J. Yeatman. A delightfully witty, and satirical, take on English history. Full of silly, educated, humour.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Any recommendations people. More into factual historical stuff 1900> but enjoy a bit of other ( hitchhiker's guide) on it's way. Recent purchases include a book about Garibaldi and The Prince machiavelli
    To fill an order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Prisoners of Geography is worth a read, kind of covers post 1900s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

It's been on my wish list for a while but I read very dire reviews. Like it's very US military focused and badly researched.
    Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lemme see, what have I read since I last posted here?

When The Lights Go Out, Carys Bray - really enjoyed this, read it in two days. It's about a couple whose marriage is struggling because of the husband's reaction to climate change. Sounds odd but the premise really worked. Will make you paranoid about heavy rain for days afterwards.

The Devil and the Dark Water, Stuart Turton - kinda sorta historical fiction. Set on a ship sailing from Indonesia to Amsterdam in 1634 and the passengers think a demon is on board with them. Great fun altogether, even if the ending was a little weak.

Samuel Johnson vs The Darkness trilogy, John Connolly - these are technically children's books but hey, I'm not a literary snob, I like to dabble. Very enjoyable trilogy about a young boy and his dog who inadvertently get dragged into a demonic plot to take over the world. The title character is immensely likeable and the narrator interjects with lots of humorous footnotes throughout.

The Lottery and Other Stories, Shirley Jackson - I'm not going to lie, most of these went entirely over my head. And I have a degree in Literature!

Next up is The Power by Naomi Alderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Going to get stuck into John Le Carré's works over Christmas and New Years. I've seen the TV/Movie adaptions and read Tinker Tailor but none of the others. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Barna77 wrote: »
    It's been on my wish list for a while but I read very dire reviews. Like it's very US military focused and badly researched.
    Is that right?

I really enjoyed it, found it very informative. I kept referring to a map of the world as I was reading

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Going to get stuck into John Le Carré's works over Christmas and New Years. I've seen the TV/Movie adaptions and read Tinker Tailor but none of the others. Looking forward to it.
    The Spy Who Came In from the Cold is a classic of the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Is that right?
    I thought it started well, offering some insight into China and Russia especially, and fell off badly after that.

• Advertisement

Is that right?

I wouldn't say US military focussed at all, I only remember it mentioning the US military in the part about the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Arriving Sunday

War Lord, final book in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series. I used to do all my reading on my commute to work but with the current disease that will usher in the microchips I haven't been reading as much, I'm thing of reading Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury next. has anyoen read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

If you're interested in US politics, there are four volumes (so far) in the biography of LBJ by Robert Caro. Brilliant research and also written very well. You could start with Vol. 4 - The Path to Power.

War Lord, final book in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series. I used to do all my reading on my commute to work but with the current disease that will usher in the microchips I haven't been reading as much, I'm thing of reading Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury next. has anyoen read it?
    I read it a few years ago and loved it. Sort of a coming of age/horror/adventure mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

If you buy a book on Kindle does the money get refunded to your account after you read it if you choose to return it?

Someone told me that's what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

WrenBoy wrote: »

I've just started' Agent running in the field'. The writing is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow, about the American justice system and the mass incarceration of African Americans. It's been described as the 'bible of Black Lives Matter' so I was curious to read it.

I have CJ Sansom's Dissolution to read over Christmas - got it for £1 on Kindle. I'm curious to see if I like the series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished The Gospel According To Blindboy, enjoyed it, some weird and surreal stories in there, Arse Children is a work of genius,

Currently reading Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman, it challenges the notion that humans are born selfish and we were a bunch of uncouth savages before farming and empires were built, very interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Just finished The Dirty South by John Connolly, another Charlie Parker story.

Now started Behind the Enigma_ The Authorised History of GCHQ, Britain’s Secret Cyber-Intelligence Agency by John Ferris

QI

Advertisement