Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich by Callum MacDonald

Based on the true story of Operation Antropoid executed by Czech parachutists.

I would also highly recommend watching the movie Antropoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘HHhH’ by Laurent Binet is an excellent book on the same topic. Told in a rather interesting manner.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

HHhH on the same subject is also a good read but not as amazing as some of the reviews it got. Reminded me a lot of East West St. in structure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

gutenberg wrote: »
    I have this on my TBR list. I loved her The Nightingale - if you haven't read it, then I really recommend it.

I have two books on the go. One is Jung Chang's Wild Swans. The other is Cal Newport's A World Without Email.

Thanks gutenberg, I have read the Nightingale also very good. Have you any other fiction your would recommended reading? I've a stack of non- fiction waiting for me to read but just not able for it at the moment!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm reading Hart's War by John Katzenbach as the moment. I saw the movie years ago and watched it again recently. The story has a German POW camp backdrop with a John Grisham style murder trial with ethical issues among the US captives as the plot. The book is a good deal different from the movie but I'm enjoying it. It's an interesting whodunit albeit a bit far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Children of Ash and Elm: A History of the Vikings by Neil Price

Great stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex today. It's a literary locked-room mystery involving three keepers who disappear from a tower lighthouse. Raced through it, but not sure I'd read it again. And I re-read everything, unless I actively hate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Wild Sign by Patricia Briggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

appledrop wrote: »
    Thanks gutenberg, I have read the Nightingale also very good. Have you any other fiction your would recommended reading? I've a stack of non- fiction waiting for me to read but just not able for it at the moment!

I read Hamnet over Christmas and loved it. I have Brit Bennett’s ‘The Vanishing Half’ waiting for me, looking forward to that. Anything by Margaret Atwood, and I also like a lot of Louis de Bernières’ work.

gutenberg wrote: »
    I read Hamnet over Christmas and loved it. I have Brit Bennett’s ‘The Vanishing Half’ waiting for me, looking forward to that. Anything by Margaret Atwood, and I also like a lot of Louis de Bernières’ work.

Thanks I've read Hamnet, it was brilliant even though I knew what was going to happen I kept hoping it wouldn't!

Yep read Margaret Atwood aswell, great writer.

I'm definitely going to look up the other two authors.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Just starting Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's almost a thousand pages and the type is *tiny* and extremely close-set, so let's see how long this takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just starting Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's almost a thousand pages and the type is *tiny* and extremely close-set, so let's see how long this takes.
    I liked the premise very much, but it didn't really go anywhere that I found interesting with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mikhail wrote: »
    I liked the premise very much, but it didn't really go anywhere that I found interesting with it.

Agreed, much ado about nothing, I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

breezy1985 wrote: »
    HHhH on the same subject is also a good read but not as amazing as some of the reviews it got. Reminded me a lot of East West St. in structure

I was not a fan of HHhH, the historical aspects were brilliant, but the segue back to the author's life annoyed me so much. I really didn't care for that.

I'm currently reading Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah (author of The Nightingale, The Great Alone, Firefly Lane ...)

A story set in the 1930s Dust Bowl of America. It follows the struggles of Elsa and her family as they battle years of drought and dust storms. People move west to California in search of a new start and a better life but many challenges and struggles to survive await them. It's a story of struggle and survival, a test of character too. Reading it sure put our own struggles with the pandemic in the shade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Reading two books at the moment

Stephen Clarke, A 1000 Years of Annoying the French. Quite self explanatory :D

And started the beast that is The Mirror and the Light.

mikhail wrote: »
    New Home wrote: »
    Agreed, much ado about nothing, I found.

Ah rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Ah rats.
    Yeah I couldn't get into it at all ..maybe a 1/4 of the way through the book..never finished it...just found it seriously boring.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami.The book follows a group of dissolute Japanese youths in the mid-1970s, and is infused with themes of sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just bought To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini on kindle for 91p. Figured I would give it a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shakespearean: On Life & Language in Times of Disruption by Robert McCrum

Perfect reading for the times that's in it...

Vickie Phelan, Overcoming.

Obviously I knew about the cancer but didn't realise the other tradgies she has had in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Just finished Hamnet I'd recommend and am about to star one city one book leonard and hungry paul

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Today I finished "Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?" by Alyssa Mastromonaco, which is mostly about her time in the White House (2009-14), in two roles in the Obama administrations. Alyssa was possibility the most senior person there who wasn't in the media spotlight.

If you have any lingering fantasy that working in the White House might be glamorous, this is the book to fix that. Near the start there's a little story about getting feminine sanitary products in the women's toilets - which are apparently bog-standard - and how she managed that. There were no objections to supplying them, once she raised the issue, it's just that everyone had been too busy with other stuff.

The book is a fun read, not all doom and gloom about the brutal workload. Obama pops in occasionally to raise a disapproving eyebrow, and there's even some romance. Alyssa's second role was Deputy Chief of Staff - like Josh Lyman in The West Wing - and by the end the exhaustion gets to her and she has to leave for the sake of her health.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Last one at the party.

Its a bit of an odd mix...Bridget Jones meets a global deadly pandemic, but easy reading so far.

I also devoured James Acasters book Classic Scrapes, just a collection of silly stories really but hugely enjoyable if you like his standup.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews

This would of been a superb espionage novel if only the whole Dominika, (the sparrow and main character), seeing coloured halos over peoples heads which enables her to accurately read peoples emotions/intentions was dropped. Otherwise, very entertaining read when the halos weren't mentioned.

Also didn't get the idea around having to mention food in each chapter so that a recipe could be thrown in at the end of chapters :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh I am rich !

A kind friend sent me not just "Lord of the Rings" as I lost my copy in the move before last, but "The Hobbit" AND "Sillmariliion" as well...

The sheer luxury of being warm abed with my favourite books.. so I am being careful and ekeing it all out...

They are books that give more with each reading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

pottokblue wrote: »
    Just finished Hamnet I'd recommend and am about to star one city one book leonard and hungry paul

started Leonard and Hungry Paul myself last night.. promising so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Just read the two books about Afghanistan called The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini which were amazing and traumatic at the same time, especially the passages about the Taliban. Just now I've started another book by author Christy Lefteri called The Beekeeper of Aleppo that is as equally good based on refugees fleeing Syria and settling in the UK, also about Isis and Assad destroying that beautiful city, definitely an Eastern journey I'm in at the moment.

Big Hosseini fan here - loved And the Mountains echoed too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata.

A very quirky book about a 'social misfit' who works in a convenience store.

Advertisement