Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

I was up in Scotland on Loch Katrine recently and heard of Jules Verne’s story ‘The Underground City’ set in a subterranean mining community under the Loch. It was an easy read more of a short story or novella.

I also enjoyed Mary Elizabeth Braddon’s ‘Lady Audley’s Secret’ a few years ago and have her other work ‘Aurora Floyd’ on my kindle so onto that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm currently reading Manhunt: The 12 day Chase for Lincoln Killer by James L Swanson.

Brilliant book so far , reads like a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa

Very enjoyable. The kind of thing you would like if you like social novels by Balzac (which partly inspired it). Set in Siciliy in the late 19th century when Italian nationalism is ascendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Really enjoyed that. I'm on a similar bid to cover a massive topic in a relatively confined space:

The Greeks: A Global History by Roderick Beaton

Like Jones he manages to cover some very tangled material in a gripping way and has an eye for illuminating detail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The ode less travelled - Stephen Fry

I was never a huge fan of poetry, but this is quite interesting[*}. I never knew it could be so technical

• see what did there accidentally ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This reminds me of my favourite haiku:

Five syllables here,

Seven more syllables there.

Are you happy, now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished The Wilderness Cure by Mo Wilde, about foraging for food and being connected with nature, nice book, really enjoyed it.

Starting No Logo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Read Anthony Doerr's All The Light We Cannot See on holidays. Really enjoyed it. I think Duffy & Son is up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes, I’m thinking of getting ‘All the Light We Cannot See’ it’s coming to Netflix at some stage will also get his other book ‘Cloud Cuckoo Land’ they’ve both got good reviews

I read Cloud Cuckoo Land a few weeks ago. It's like a less bonkers Cloud Atlas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Ratline by Philippe Sands

The story of a senior Nazi who became a fugitive after the war ended

I'm 45 pages into Duffy and Son and absolutely love it already. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Started reading Still Points by Brother Richard. I heard him interviewed on rte 1 back in November his interview intrigued me to give the book a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

A Thousand Miles Up The Nile by Amelia B. Edwards

I was inspired to get this book after watching Prof. Alice Roberts journey through Egypt on train, in a 4 part special on Channel 4, to follow the journey undertaken by Egyptologist Edwards in 1873/1874.

The engravings are stunning, the detail of both engravings and written word breathtaking. It really makes me want to finally take the plunge to visit the historic sites of Egypt.

Yes, this book has been described as being racist, which it is. Edwards looks down and ridicules the native people of Egypt and Nubia, and is horrified to discover that there is a race as equally as revolting and backwards as the Irish, but what more would you expect from a privileged imperialist Englishwoman from the 19th century?

If you can get over the language of the time, it is worth the read but to note that quite a substantial number of the endnotes to the chapters are in French.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Bone Hacker by Kathy Reichs

The latest novel in the Tempe Brennan series. A great read as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Buccmaster Trilogy by Paul Kingsnorth has anyone read them they are supposed to be an interesting take on the dystopian novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karamaqzov

I stopped after a couple of chapters a while back but am enjoying it now

Finished Duffy and Son last night. Really enjoyed it. Very funny, relatable read. Next up is Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box. Bit of a change in pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

An oldie but a goodie...started rereading the uncut version of Stephen King's The Stand a few days ago. Haven't read it in years. The first half of the book is like a summary of 2020 and Covid.

I could open a sizeable library with the amount of unread books I have so decided to start working through them.

Decided to give The Whisper Man by Alex North a go.

Luckily it's only just under 400 pages so I'll keep plodding along. The bones of a great book are here but overall...meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Just started YellowFace. Interesting story about a failed author passing off the work of her dead friend as her own. Early days but so far so good.

The unabridged version is the only one in print these days and has been for a long time, AFAIK.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

It's eminently re-readable. I do it every two years or so. On my third copy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'd always meant to re-read it, but it's a bit of a door stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I’m reading ‘Silent Wife’ by Karin Slaughter. She knows how to write a thriller. Only on page one, and it’s as taut and tense as ever.

If that's an issue then I really don't recommend The Mirror and the Light! Took me *months* to read because I could literally only read it while sitting on the couch or at a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

I love door stop books, but I think I'll pass on any Mantel after Wolf Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I could not get into that book at all and couldn't finish it, a pity as it's a very interesting time in history.

I'm reading The spy who came in from the cold by John Le Carre. I'm really liking it but am only getting a chance to read it in sporadic bursts which is a pity.

• Advertisement

She uses an extremely annoying device throughout Wolf Hall where she refers to multiple male characters as simply "he" within the same passage. It made it quite difficult to follow who she was referring to at any given time.

Both Bringing Up the Bodies and TMATL are far more accessible. I'd definitely say to at least give them a try.

Advertisement