Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in a big city without the perks of a big city freaking sucks

• 26-03-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Look I know this a selfish thought but man, living in Dublin without the perks of living in Dublin sucks. You are isolated in your tiny 2k apartment, the supermarkets are always packed and without a car there is nowhere to go or things to do. I walk up and down the canal or river every day which is the highlight of my day. I can't wait to go for after work dinners, drinks, a sneaky bubble tee on the way home, browsing GameStop at lunch, have a chat with the barista at your local coffee shop, talking comics at forbidden planet. Just needed to share it. Stay safe, wash you hands and keep your distance out there.

Comments

This calls for a lament in d-minor, courtesy of the world's smallest violin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Yeah man. I also feel hard done by unavoidable circumstances people all over the world are going through and worse.

Rock on. Wash your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Haha city boy

**Points and laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

What on gods green earth is a sneaky bubble tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Look I know this a selfish thought but man, living in Dublin without the perks of living in Dublin sucks. You are isolated in your tiny 2k apartment, the supermarkets are always packed and without a car there is nowhere to go or things to do. I walk up and down the canal or river every day which is the highlight of my day. I can't wait to go for after work dinners, drinks, a sneaky bubble tee on the way home, browsing GameStop at lunch, have a chat with the barista at your local coffee shop, talking comics at forbidden planet. Just needed to share it. Stay safe, wash you hands and keep your distance out there.

"Sucks"? Are you American?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

AHHHHH GOD LOVE YA.....

I used to live in the city and obviously its an age thing, I moved. Just in shopping for the week (40 mile trip), had a shower, clothes in the washing machine and shoes outside the front door of the house.

As I look out across the fantastic view from the back of the house, all I can see is rolling countryside for miles. Cannot see the neighbours and they cannot see me.

As i remember living in a 900sq ft apartment that cost more per month that my 15 acre piece of heaven, it makes you realise that life is for living and not for existing..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wage slaves sell their soul for the Big Smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

That whole friendly vibe has been replaced with a degree of fear and anxiety.
    I don't live in the city, but I really really miss the city, my favourite restaurants cafes, and cheap eateries and the owners/workers I've build mildly friendly relationships with.

I live in a close knit community in Raheny village that's been, like other communities not decimated, but contaminated by respectful distancing and an unfamiliar forced hurriedness when dealing with otherwise friendly and convivial butchers, bakers and grocers.

I miss my friends and neighbours, the kids miss their kids.
    It's weird shopping for my own family, my folks, my elderly neighbours and dropping the stuff off at their door and backing off like you've delivered a bomb.

I can see why it's popular and easy to sneer at where you're coming from with the usual "city boy", "slave to the big smoke" comments and the smallest violin poster.... Even the fella that purposely makes a point of "laughing & pointing" at you to garner likes and kudos on boards.ie. Cheap & easy shots. Unavoidable and predictable.

But it's tough on everyone and those little rituals and habits that have been disrupted can affect anyone.

So, ignore the "haha city boy" brigade, Ignore anyone sneering and laughing at anyone that shares the small things, stay fit and well and thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I love both the bright lights of the city and and the bright lights of the country sky. There's pros and cons to both ways of living and suburban living is somewhere in between.

All 3 suck in a pandemic. Stay safe folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Definitely a sex act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

gmisk wrote: »
    Definitely a sex act

Im performing mental gymnastics trying to visualise that in context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Definitely a sex act

So is sucking freaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Most of what you miss is available in any medium to large town in the country. The perks of city living is supposed to be theatre, culture and the arts, fine dining, large sporting occasions and services. Dinner, drinks, coffee and comics doesn’t make the grade as perk of living in a city IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

deliverance.jpg?fit=500%2C261

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Granadino wrote: »

He asked are you American, Leeroy? Probably can't answer because he has entombed himself in a sarcophagus made from self hardened pages from Wonder Woman comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's weird seeing Foxes walking around the streets.

Saw 2 yesterday around Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Sure does yo. Sucks big time homie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I was at 1,300 feet in the Coillte forest up the Boggerah Mountains near Nad the other day, great air up there and not a soul to be seen for miles. What are you doing out of your Trendy Co-Living Pod? Awa' wi' ye, and re-gin yer beard, or something. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think its the opposite ...living with some of the perks of being in a big city without a lot of the downsides ..

Living in Dublin you have some of the lights of a big city and convenience but not to cramped together and still some country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dublin when it's running properly doesn't have most of the perks of living in a big city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Definitely a sex act

With mentions of rifling through Gamestop and having the chats in Forbidden Planet I seriously doubt it's that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

He probably farts into the spout of the teapot in his local tea shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Granadino wrote: »

So what if he is? Ireland and especially Dublin is diverse these days. Step into the 21st century why don't you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I expected people making fun about me, but I didn't expect the amount of negativity about Dublin city lol

We used to settle for a banana boat in Captain America’s but you seam to be living the dream

I expected people making fun about me, but I didn't expect the amount of negativity about Dublin city lol

A lot of Irish people are of the view that living in Dublin offers all the disadvantages of a big city with precious few of the perks. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

deliverance.jpg?fit=500%2C261

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. The banjo player on the infamous tune just died the other day (Weissberg and not the guy who played the in bred kid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i was born in Dublin 2 and there's nowhere i'd rather be at this difficult time than in the city of my birth.

topper75 wrote: »
    One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. The banjo player on the infamous tune just died the other day (Weissberg and not the guy who played the in bred kid).

Billy Redden (the Kid) lives in Rabun County, Ga. where the film was shot - they don't really go in for the whole anal rape of vistors bit, despite the movie's plot - and works in Walmart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Stateofyou wrote: »
    So what if he is? Ireland and especially Dublin is diverse these days. Step into the 21st century why don't you. :rolleyes:

Right on dude.

topper75 wrote: »

The inbred young fella is working in his local shop now, they canvassed the locality for extras and when they spotted the n the school they reckoned he was perfect for the part.

Stateofyou wrote: »

It was sarcasm, he’s obviously Irish using American slang words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was sarcasm, he’s obviously Irish using American slang words.

How is he obviously Irish though?

I'd imagine the OP is most likely American and is of course most welcome in Dublin and on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Will someone please tell me what a 'sneaky bubble tea' is :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will someone please tell me what a 'sneaky bubble tea' is :confused:
    A bubble tea is a pretty horrible cold and flavoured tea usually with balls in it usually made of tapioca or jelly.
    It is not that nice.
    I am not sure why you would have a sneaky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Its great living in the country tho, ive worked all day and havent met a soul, the coast road to fanore is as busy today as usual so are people just not getting the message about staying at home

I must admit op that i find myself having little sympathy for urban dwellers, give me the Atlantic wind and burren pavement over city living convenience cooped up in isolation boxes every day and hearing your neighbours take a piss first thing every morning, itll be a long few weeks ahead for many housed like battery hens in so called convenient city living

A bubble tea is a pretty horrible cold and flavoured tea usually with balls in it usually made of tapioca or jelly.
    It is not that nice.
    I am not sure why you would have a sneaky one.

The sneaky part is the frogs you didn’t see copulating in that pond water

Its great living in the country tho, ive worked all day and havent met a soul, the coast road to fanore is as busy today as usual so are people just not getting the message about staying at home

I must admit op that i find myself having little sympathy for urban dwellers, give me the Atlantic wind and burren pavement over city living convenience cooped up in isolation boxes every day and hearing your neighbours take a piss first thing every morning, itll be a long few weeks ahead for many housed like battery hens in so called convenient city living

Why would you have little sympathy if you think they live in such dire conditions? And, why, during a crisis like this would you try scoring cheap shots like this. Your "I'm all right Jack, fook everyone else" attitude stinks as bad as your warped idea of urban living.

Back in your box Still Waters, don't get out of it unless you're going to help some of the elderly people in your community..

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why would you have little sympathy if you think they live in such dire conditions? And, why, during a crisis like this would you try scoring cheap shots like this. Your "I'm all right Jack, fook everyone else" attitude stinks as bad as your warped idea of urban living.

Back in your box Still Waters, don't get out of it unless you're going to help some of the elderly people in your community..

Ok princess don't get your panties in a twist because of some perceived slight, I'm just remarking that convenient city living can get old very fast when confined to barracks, oh and i drop a bag of timber every 2 days to an elderly neighbour and the wife brings her anything she needs from the shop, back into your own box for now Rambo wannabe

• Advertisement

Ok princess don't get your panties in a twist because of some perceived slight, I'm just remarking that convenient city living can get old very fast when confined to barracks

Who told you that? No different to rural living when confined to the house, and we all get out for our exercise in parks and on beaches.

Some apartment dwellers might be feeling the pain a bit more, but logging on to boards.ie to boast about your superior position and sneer at them and express what little sympathy you have for them or anyone finding this crises tough is mean spirited, selfish, petty, amateur and pretty classless.
    oh and i drop a bag of timber every 2 days to an elderly neighbour and the wife brings her anything she needs from the shop, back into your own box for now Rambo wannabe

I thought the list of good deeds would appear when you were called out. Don't believe you for a second, sure your all right Jack. ;)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Who told you that? No different to rural living when confined to the house, and we all get out for our exercise in parks and on beaches.

Some apartment dwellers might be feeling the pain a bit more, but logging on to boards.ie to boast about your superior position and sneer at them and express what little sympathy you have for them or anyone finding this crises tough is mean spirited, selfish, petty, amateur and pretty classless.

I thought the list of good deeds would appear when you were called out. Don't believe you for a second, sure your all right Jack. ;)

What? Are you saying you don't believe me, what makes you doubt the words of an anonymous stranger on the internet, ate you this cynical in real life

What? Are you saying you don't believe me, what makes you doubt the words of an anonymous stranger on the internet, ate you this cynical in real life

Don't believe a word.

Anyone that logs on to the internet to boast about their situation in comparison to others that are having a hard time during the biggest crisis the country will ever see in your lifetime doesn't help out with their neighbours.

It amazes me what people like you take pleasure out of sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Gin helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

OP have you thought about relocating to a big city with the big city perks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

CNJxYW6.jpeg

Living in a big city always sucks imo. Can’t beat the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Just googled Bubble tea.

I'm now really glad I grew up in the country.

I was speaking to a friend last night who is in a small town in the West at the moment on his own (he only moved there 1 year ago )

He’s feeling isolated and a ‘blow in’. He said it’s worse in the country as everyone sees the slightest move you make so if he goes out walking or cycling further than 2KM there the curtains will very much be twitching and reports made to Gardai.

The irony in the country is that walking around your tiny town will bring you in to contact with more people than going on your bike for a 20KM cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

NSAman wrote: »
    Just in shopping for the week (40 mile trip), had a shower, clothes in the washing machine and shoes outside the front door of the house.

Lucky for you. At my house in Mayo, there's a local dog who takes shoes if you leave them outside. He even opens the back door himself, if you don't lock it, and takes whatever shoes he can find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement