Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flicking lights

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hello all ,

just before Christmas last I noticed the lights in the house start to flicker at night.
    This has been going on for a number of weeks now.

I only got a chance to have an electrician look at it this week.He checked out the fuse board and switches etc around the house and said all was ok.There was a small grey box tails he called it that was hanging from wall near old meter which was humming alot.He advised that I get the ESB to check it out.

The ESB called today and did their check and said all was OK.They secured the grey box back onto wall.
    They mentioned drain on system power showers etc and other houses connected to line.The thing is there are 7 houses and eight people in the total in the houses.

There cant be that much of a drain.
    Any ideas ,noticing it more now as I am off work Should I get back on to ESB .Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

theparish wrote: »
    Hello all ,

just before Christmas last I noticed the lights in the house start to flicker at night.
    This has been going on for a number of weeks now.

I only got a chance to have an electrician look at it this week.He checked out the fuse board and switches etc around the house and said all was ok.There was a small grey box tails he called it that was hanging from wall near old meter which was humming alot.He advised that I get the ESB to check it out.

The ESB called today and did their check and said all was OK.They secured the grey box back onto wall.
    They mentioned drain on system power showers etc and other houses connected to line.The thing is there are 7 houses and eight people in the total in the houses.

There cant be that much of a drain.
    Any ideas ,noticing it more now as I am off work Should I get back on to ESB .Thanks.

Could I ask if you are in a rural area (the grid tends to be weaker in rural areas, with consquent voltage variations, causing dimming of lights under certain conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

adrian92 wrote: »
    Could I ask if you are in a rural area (the grid tends to be weaker in rural areas, with consquent voltage variations, causing dimming of lights under certain conditions

Hi thanks for reply.

Im on a city terrace.its all fine now during day
    when i dont need the light😀

Hi thanks for reply.

when i dont need the light😀

You mentioned that this issue arose in the past few months.

Are you aware of any significant change in this time?

For example, did you or your neighbours get work done on the premises, or change of use

A bit of mystery

adrian92 wrote: »
    You mentioned that this issue arose in the past few months.

Are you aware of any significant change in this time?

For example, did you or your neighbours get work done on the premises, or change of use

A bit of mystery

Perhaps talk to one of your neighbours and ask if they experiencing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Did one of your neighbours decided to become a THC entrepreneur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,097 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flickering lights with LEDs or CFLs can mean something different to ye-olde incandescent. What type of lighting do you have?

L1011 wrote: »
    Flickering lights with LEDs or CFLs can mean something different to ye-olde incandescent. What type of lighting do you have?

Can't smell anything unusual from neighbors😄

I will have to check with neighbours.
    Three doors down did a big refurb lately.
    The bulbs are a mix of old and led.

Thanks for replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi thanks for reply.

when i dont need the light��

Do you have the light on during the day to see that it is not affected during the day?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Do you have the light on during the day to see that it is not affected during the day?

Hi ,its not noticeable during day.
    Take this evening I had afew lights on at 8.30.
    Then at 10.30 ish the flicking started.

Friday night last it lasted for about an hour and went back to normal again

You said neighbours carried out significant work.

Is there a possibility you could ask a(different) neighbour if they have experienced the same thing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement