Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

titan18 wrote: »
    What I find idiotic is they ask you to wear masks and say that a limited inflight service will be offered. Now eating with a mask on would be kind of difficult so people are going to be removing the masks during the flight to do that.

Or hell, imagine people with babies on the plane and them trying to keep the mask on the baby.

Or how there's also people even now who'll not have the seatbelt fastened or they'll keep the laptop out or tray down when told to put them away. Good luck to the airstaff policing people wearing masks too

Yeah, the limited in flight service could be perfumes & scratchcards etc, not food.

I imagine not many will not wear a mask during a flight tbh .......... if the instruction is to do so. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Ryanair's tactics must be working.. ...... I have been monitoring flights from Shannon to Faro return around September and the flight back home that I was interested in is now sold out!

I am not for one minute doubting your integrity, but I find it impossible to believe that any flight this year would be sold out???

The VAST majority of the public are not making travel plans for this year at the moment. Travel hopes, yes, but concrete plans, as in booking flights or even changing booking dates and for September, which is near enough??? A few hardy, brave and indeed very optimistic souls might book, but all anecdotal evidence is suggesting that travellers are sitting tight. So how on earth could a flight be booked out?

Flights are indeed scheduled with dates and prices etc, I've been looking as well, but there must be some other reason why a flight would be showing as sold out, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

acequion wrote: »
    I am not for one minute doubting your integrity, but I find it impossible to believe that any flight this year would be sold out???

The VAST majority of the public are not making travel plans for this year at the moment. Travel hopes, yes, but concrete plans, as in booking flights or even changing booking dates and for September, which is near enough??? A few hardy, brave and indeed very optimistic souls might book, but all anecdotal evidence is suggesting that travellers are sitting tight. So how on earth could a flight be booked out?

Flights are indeed scheduled with dates and prices etc, I've been looking as well, but there must be some other reason why a flight would be showing as sold out, imo

When Ryanair offered the free flight changes, they would have loaded all the flights up then. They probably structured it in such a way that only certain flights came up in the search to be booked. eg the Saturday morning flight to Faro only showed for anyone looking for a weekend flight there. So that flight got packed out. So if they cancel the other flights they still have one that is booked out that they can fly whether passengers turn up or not and keep the money.

This would have been very strategic and thats why free changes are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

acequion wrote: »

Every Friday flight from Faro to Shannon is sold out as far as I can see from the app........ Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Since we are prohibited from travelling more than 20km from our home until July 20th how are we supposed to get to the airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Every Friday flight from Faro to Shannon is sold out as far as I can see from the app........ Weird

Maybe it is a quick workaround by Ryanair to prevent bookings on that route for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It’s not just the Faro route that seems sold out, I’d say they are rejigging the next few months, possible significant seat sale on the way, cheap enough to get to get people flying again but I don’t see Spain & islands opening up before September at the earliest, Portugal could be different

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Maybe it is a quick workaround by Ryanair to prevent bookings on that route for some reason.

It is most likely a flight or route that will soon be cancelled. They stop people from booking it in the interim. I observed that for flights in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

I too had flights booked from Shannon to Faro on the 18th Sept and returning on the 25th. When i checked last night there were only 50 seats booked on the outward flight. Today it's sold out? Looks like their reducing flights to once per week. Would that mean i'm due a refund if I decide not to accept an alternative flight or vouchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

It’s not just the Faro route that seems sold out, I’d say they are rejigging the next few months, possible significant seat sale on the way, cheap enough to get to get people flying again but I don’t see Spain & islands opening up before September at the earliest, Portugal could be different

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0512/1137888-spain-sets-two-week-quarantine-for-incoming-travellers/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

uli84 wrote: »
    I have flights to Ibiza in August and I do hope they’ll go ahead and that Ibiza will be opened to tourists...

Not a hope in hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Not a hope in hell
    If a person has to quarrintine for two weeks and most people just go for two weeks, it's a no no.

Shannon to Faro is a popular route so I'd be surprised if it's up for the chop in the short term. Longer term, if air travel doesn't recover, possibly.

I had booked Shannon to Faro in April and requested my refund and am one of the many getting the runaround from Ryanair. Now I'd absolutely love if I could still go this year but no way would I chance booking it yet. Apart at all from the obvious,my life has been thrown up in the air and the very last thing I could do right now is block off dates in my calendar. I'd imagine loads are in the same boat.Also,if I can rebook,I may rebook Dublin to Faro if they even allow that kind of re routing option.

But all things considered, I very much doubt enough passengers went and changed dates to the extent that the flights got booked out. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

Steer55 wrote: »
    If a person has to quarrintine for two weeks and most people just go for two weeks, it's a no no.

Will they have to though? In August? Is that confirmed?

In ibiza i mean, I don’t mind to quarantine In ireland upon return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I’ve an apartment booked in Lanzarote for 11th to 20th October have no flights booked yet and am still reluctant due to not knowing what restrictions will be over there. Checking earlier the flight back on 20th and even 19th and 18th 5 flights in total were showing as booked out which I found hard to believe and after checking again just now all 5 flights are showing availability again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Steer55 wrote: »

You posted a link to an article. Did you read the article or just the headline?

You didn't even make it to the 3rd paragraph.
    The quarantine has been enforced for all travellers coming to Spain between 15 May and at least 24 May, when the state of emergency is due to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

uli84 wrote: »
    Will they have to though? In August? Is that confirmed?

In ibiza i mean, I don’t mind to quarantine In ireland upon return.

The quarantine rules are only for a week this month. Things will change as it's a fluid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Flights are back up for sale online again. Not sure what was going on earlier today. No reduction in price though, still asking same money as per last few months.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Know it was mentioned earlier but seriously what are the chances that some form of quarantine will have to be in place when travelers return home.

I’d love to book a flight to Crete in October but no way would I be committing to quarantine for up to 14 days on my return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Know it was mentioned earlier but seriously what are the chances that some form of quarantine will have to be in place when travelers return home.

I’d love to book a flight to Crete in October but no way would I be committing to quarantine for up to 14 days on my return.

2 weeks on return to Ireland. It’s being worked on to become legislation at the moment. Not sure what stage it’s at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

faceman wrote: »
    2 weeks on return to Ireland. It’s being worked on to become legislation at the moment. Not sure what stage it’s at

Of course the only way to avoid this would be a positive antibody test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That all sounds an absolute nightmare just to get through the airport and the flight.
    What happens then when you get to your destination?
    I simply cannot envisage going through all that effort of getting somewhere and then having to socially distance for every minute of every day in unfamiliar surroundings.
    The whole idea-for me at least-is to go on holidays to experience the new surroundings of a new place. How on earth can you do that if public transportation is curtailed, museums and galleries limiting the number of people?
    No more popping into a bar or coffee shop. More than likely having to book a table in a restaurant which is probably only going to be less than half full. All in all to me the whole experience would be miserable.
    There would be zero spontaneity.
    I genuinely do not understand why people are so anxious to travel to for example France Spain Portugal or Italy. Surely you’d only be swapping one set of restrictions (here) for another set(there)? So I ask the question....what’s the point? In the process of getting there and being there you’re also increasing the chances of contracting the virus.
    It’s like someone from France or Italy saying today I can’t wait to travel to Ireland in July or August. Surely the immediate reaction to that would be....why would you want to....everything has been cancelled,restrictions are in place-there won’t even be any music in pubs.
    I’m due to travel to London in September and Faro in October and to the Christmas Markets in December but I’ve no intention of doing any of them.
    I’d genuinely really like to hear why people are prepared to travel given the circumstances.

Augeo wrote: »
    You can't ........ Ryanair are proposing temperature checks at airport and masks on board..........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=113416231

Ryanair says it plans to return to 40% of normal flight schedules from Wednesday July 1, subject to government restrictions being lifted.

New measures be in place when more frequent flying resumes.

These include fewer checked bags, checking in online and downloading boarding passes to a passenger smart phone.

Passengers will undergo temperature checks at the airport and face masks or coverings will be mandatory.

Iceland planning to test people on arrival and hope for a short turnaround.

Some savvy holiday destinations could really benefit here with some measured ideas.

Iceland could well be onto something here, obviously easier for an island nation to manage that.

johnire wrote: »
    That all sounds an absolute nightmare just to get through the airport and the flight.
    What happens then when you get to your destination?
    I simply cannot envisage going through all that effort of getting somewhere and then having to socially distance for every minute of every day in unfamiliar surroundings.
    The whole idea-for me at least-is to go on holidays to experience the new surroundings of a new place. How on earth can you do that if public transportation is curtailed, museums and galleries limiting the number of people?
    No more popping into a bar or coffee shop. More than likely having to book a table in a restaurant which is probably only going to be less than half full. All in all to me the whole experience would be miserable.
    There would be zero spontaneity.
    I genuinely do not understand why people are so anxious to travel to for example France Spain Portugal or Italy. Surely you’d only be swapping one set of restrictions (here) for another set(there)? So I ask the question....what’s the point? In the process of getting there and being there you’re also increasing the chances of contracting the virus.
    It’s like someone from France or Italy saying today I can’t wait to travel to Ireland in July or August. Surely the immediate reaction to that would be....why would you want to....everything has been cancelled,restrictions are in place-there won’t even be any music in pubs.
    I’m due to travel to London in September and Faro in October and to the Christmas Markets in December but I’ve no intention of doing any of them.
    I’d genuinely really like to hear why people are prepared to travel given the circumstances.

To get away. To get a break from the endless monotony, to experience definite summer weather. Even if it is to exchange one set of restrictions for another, at least it's a change of scene. There are loads of reasons.

Also, many people are happy to take quiet holidays,just driving around admiring scenery, maybe stay in rented accommodation and lie by a pool and dine al fresco at night and sit out late on a balmy continental night. No need to be around people. Have I convinced you yet?:pac:

But we must look at the current graphs of infection rates and be optimistic that in 3 months time we will be in a position to open the air in a responsible way.

We’re an island nation-why aren’t we doing what Iceland are doing?

quote="Sleety_Rain;113423606"]Iceland planning to test people on arrival and hope for a short turnaround.

Some savvy holiday destinations could really benefit here with some measured ideas.

Iceland could well be onto something here, obviously easier for an island nation to manage that.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

I agree with alot of the above in regards the pros and cons of traveling abroad in light of the current pandemic. However in my view the only way travel will be permitted is all down to testing.
    For example if one was to be able to be tested a minimum of 3 days before travelling they would have a result before they are due to travel. Negative= happy holidays, Positive=Sorry your staying at home. Results of a negative test can then be produced at your destination airport and no quarantine is required in that country.
    Similarly on returning to Ireland you are tested again in the airport and self isolate until your results come through. Negative= go about your usual business, Positive= self isolation for 14 days.

Much more complex here with sig transit flights. 2 jurisdictions on island, common travel area etc

But could be done down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

coggy79 wrote: »
    I agree with alot of the above in regards the pros and cons of traveling abroad in light of the current pandemic. However in my view the only way travel will be permitted is all down to testing.
    For example if one was to be able to be tested a minimum of 3 days before travelling they would have a result before they are due to travel. Negative= happy holidays, Positive=Sorry your staying at home. Results of a negative test can then be produced at your destination airport and no quarantine is required in that country.
    Similarly on returning to Ireland you are tested again in the airport and self isolate until your results come through. Negative= go about your usual business, Positive= self isolation for 14 days.

How workable is that though? If you book accommodation or a rental car for 2 weeks and you have to isolate for two weeks if you test positive just before you travel? Rental company gonna say something like, oh you got the Covid? No problem, we'll hold the car for two weeks? Accomodation the same thing? I think not.
    And then if you decided not to go at all if you tested positive, travel insurance cover that? Highly doubt it.
    Oh and the last one, walk into the boss's office, hey, I need two weeks off in August, but I might need a month and a half if I have to self isolate at the destination and then isolate when I get back here, and I won't know until a day or two before I'm due to travel, is that ok with you?
    I can't see an easy way out of this problem until we either get a vaccination or the whole world throws caution to the wind and says, to hell with all restrictions.

• Advertisement

What you’re saying sounds reasonable but how would that work in practical terms.
    Say for example you’ve gone on holidays for a couple of weeks. Arrive back to Ireland and take a test. How can you self isolate if you’re due back to work and what happens if you test positive? Self isolation for two weeks? I don’t think so.....I know what the response from my employer would be. If I was willing to take the chance to go on holidays and contract the virus then that’s my problem. I know there’s no way I’d get 14 days sick leave because of something I essentially brought upon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

johnire wrote:
    We’re an island nation-why aren’t we doing what Iceland are doing?

Because we're not an island nation and have an open border.

That makes total sense and that, along with better treatment for Covid, would be the best hope in the shorter term.

I find it hard to understand people getting upset about an airline trying to get things up and running again.

Somebody needed to take the bull by the horns. It is going to take a long time to unravel from this lockdown and the sooner it starts the sooner we can return to a semblance of normality.

This is great news.

They are not doing it to get things up and running. They are doing it to avoid paying refunds. Flights for July be booked out already and if they run them flights your entitled to nothing. Yet area you are going to may have you isolating for 14 days but Ryanair won’t care. It’s not great news at all it’s a sham to avoid paying out money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Flying home from the US in two weeks time. Have enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

johnire wrote: »
    What you’re saying sounds reasonable but how would that work in practical terms.
    Say for example you’ve gone on holidays for a couple of weeks. Arrive back to Ireland and take a test. How can you self isolate if you’re due back to work and what happens if you test positive? Self isolation for two weeks? I don’t think so.....I know what the response from my employer would be. If I was willing to take the chance to go on holidays and contract the virus then that’s my problem. I know there’s no way I’d get 14 days sick leave because of something I essentially brought upon myself.

The only practical way this would work is if the isolation period was unpaid. That way, you have to factor this into your decision to travel in the first place and your employer would have to sign off on the possible months absence from the workplace.

• Advertisement

JL555 wrote: »
    How workable is that though? If you book accommodation or a rental car for 2 weeks and you have to isolate for two weeks if you test positive just before you travel? Rental company gonna say something like, oh you got the Covid? No problem, we'll hold the car for two weeks? Accomodation the same thing? I think not.
    And then if you decided not to go at all if you tested positive, travel insurance cover that? Highly doubt it..............

If you test positive you won't be permitted on a plane I'd imagine, you self isolate at home, not at your holiday spot ...........
    If airport temperature tests become a practise then you won't be boarding with an elevated temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Because we're not an island nation and have an open border.

We are an Island nation.

If you keep walking past Ballycastle in Antrim or Baltimore in West cork, you get wet quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Danzy wrote: »
    We are an Island nation.

If you keep walking past Ballycastle in Antrim or Baltimore in West cork, you get wet quickly.

We are a two country island. That's the problem. We can't decide on NI policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We are an Island nation.

The point is there are two nations on the island, two governments, two Coronavirus policies.

We are an Island nation.

Yeah, that's all lovely but we don't govern the 6 counties in NI iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Interesting article on the rte news page EU to let airlines use middle seats plus some other information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see the taoiseach has said the 14 day quarantine will be here for the “ forseable future” and will be “mandatory”. Any opinions on how long “ forseable future” could be? Surely we could get tested on return to prevent a quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

No one ever died for the lack of a foreign holiday, tourism flights will be back some time in the next few years, no point in constant fretting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see the taoiseach has said the 14 day quarantine will be here for the “ forseable future” and will be “mandatory”. Any opinions on how long “ forseable future” could be? Surely we could get tested on return to prevent a quarantine?

According to Simon Harris the 14 day quarantine applies to UK entering Ireland but not Irish people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/05/12/news/irish-news/simon-harris-covid-19-britain-holiday/amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No one ever died for the lack of a foreign holiday, tourism flights will be back some time in the next few years, no point in constant fretting about it.

The economic consequences of this could further ruin the country however. If tourists are allowed travel throughout Europe except to Ireland then the industry here is in big trouble. I think we’ve moved on from the no economy Is more important than one life stay the fuxk at home rhetoric now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don’t think using death as the benchmark is the way to go :rolleyes:

No one ever died from not being allowed go to pubs and lack of internet access either :D

There are people who have families abroad and un certain when they’ll ever see them again. Travel isn’t all about holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There are people who have families abroad and un certain when they’ll ever see them again. Travel isn’t all about holidays.

Thats why I said "No one ever died for the lack of a foreign holiday"!

dalyboy wrote: »
    According to Simon Harris the 14 day quarantine applies to UK entering Ireland but not Irish people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/05/12/news/irish-news/simon-harris-covid-19-britain-holiday/amp

Incorrect, the UK said they won’t quarantine irish people but Harris has said :

“ ‘On the point of people coming from Britain, or indeed anywhere else, we’re not creating exemptions. Whether you’re Irish, whether you’re British, French, German, it doesn’t matter.“

They need to set up some sort of testing when entering the country at least for irish residents to prevent the rediculous 2 weeks.

Thats why I said "No one ever died for the lack of a foreign holiday"!

Well that’s good, but a lot of posters don’t differentiate between the two. Travel is travel in their minds.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement