Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Looking forward to visiting vilamoura, Portugal, June 20-30th.

Good to see Portugal coping well.

We will be staying in a private villa with a pool and we intend to stay there, except for one of us making a trip to the supermarket for food stocks.

It would be nice if the restaurants were open for night time, but if they are not then that’s ok. We have to respect the country’s lockdown measures.

Flying with Aer Lingus. They are telling me June flights are still going at present, and on the website you can still book flights from May 31st.

I'm self employed so quarantine won't be an issue for me upon return or any of the family. One has checked with their employer and no qualms about slotting back into work.

Like everything, it's only advisory measures not to travel. They will ask where you are igoing to be solating when you arrive in dublin airport, but the chances of anyone following that up are below zero.

If we listened to Harris we'd all still be sitting here this time next year. Of course he wants you to stay home this summer and spend money in Ireland.

In my opinion, now is a great time to get bargain flights from July onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I believe restaurants in the Algarve are open for business this week ... .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Looking forward to visiting vilamoura, Portugal, June 20-30th.

Good to see Portugal coping well.

We will be staying in a private villa with a pool and we intend to stay there, except for one of us making a trip to the supermarket for food stocks.

It would be nice if the restaurants were open for night time, but if they are not then that’s ok. We have to respect the country’s lockdown measures.

Flying with Aer Lingus. They are telling me June flights are still going at present, and on the website you can still book flights from May 31st.

I'm self employed so quarantine won't be an issue for me upon return or any of the family. One has checked with their employer and no qualms about slotting back into work.

Like everything, it's only advisory measures not to travel. They will ask where you are igoing to be solating when you arrive in dublin airport, but the chances of anyone following that up are below zero.

If we listened to Harris we'd all still be sitting here this time next year. Of course he wants you to stay home this summer and spend money in Ireland.

In my opinion, now is a great time to get bargain flights from July onwards.

Portugal is coping the same as every other country, badly.

Are you intimating that the travel restrictions are an elaborate ploy by Simon Harris to ensure that people spend money at home? That is up there with some of the most unintelligent nonsense on this forum.

I would not be booking any flights for the foreseeable future, unless you wish to be chasing your tail for months, locked into vouchers with no indication of when you can actually travel.

It's also absolutely insane to advocate breaking self quarantine measures on return from abroad because chances are nobody will follow this up.

If any employer said that they are happy for somebody to return to work immediately after returning from abroad then they would not be a company I'd be willing to work for. Additionally, they would warrant an investigation with serious consequences.

What absolute nonsense, from start to finish. Like something written by Gemma O Doherty.

Good man Matthew, pull out all your qualifications there. This is a forum based site where opinions are stated.

You mind your own business and not about what other people do. Good lad.

Not "intimidating" anything :rolleyes:

The last time I checked we don't live in a policed state and freedom of movement isn't under any actual law unless you happen to be unlucky at a checkpoint (know the back roads ;) )

For instance I've travelled from Dublin to Tyrone 2-3 times during this lockdown, and the very north of Donegal and back to Dublin once.

*Matthew spontaneously combusts into flames*

Good man Matthew, pull out all your qualifications there. This is a forum based site where opinions are stated.

You mind your own business and not about what other people do. Good lad.

Not "intimidating" anything :rolleyes:

Intimating. Auto-correct unfortunately.

The last thing I'll do is take advice from somebody telling people to ignore expert medical and government advice, flaunt lockdown restrictions and travel advice.

Absolutely bananas stuff.

It's not advice. It's on a travel forum "when will we fly again?". The OP explained about their December trip they wants to go on. I said I'd booked New York.

But do go on about the part where I was persuading them..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/grimmse/status/1260516310146068480?s=21

EU commission taking on 12 member states for breaking basic consumer rights and not refunding in cash.

The last time I checked we don't live in a policed state and freedom of movement isn't under any actual law unless you happen to be unlucky at a checkpoint (know the back roads ;) )

For instance I've travelled from Dublin to Tyrone 2-3 times during this lockdown, and the very north of Donegal and back to Dublin once.

*Matthew spontaneously combusts into flames*

You seem to be extremely proud that you are breaking the law. Fair play, you're a mad thing.

A Mark Twain quote comes to mind right now and probably best I heed its advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You seem to be extremely proud that you are breaking the law. Fair play, you're a mad thing.

There will always be selfish twats who only care about themselves, don't engage with them. Most people seem to be doing the right thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/grimmse/status/1260516310146068480?s=21

EU commission taking on 12 member states for breaking basic consumer rights and not refunding in cash.

This should put the nonsense of state backed vouchers from Shane Ross to bed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/airlines-must-refund-passengers-for-cancelled-flights-eu-says-1.4252365?mode=amp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is it this Mark Twain quote?

“ I can live for two months on a good compliment.”

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

There will always be selfish twats who only care about themselves, don't engage with them. Most people seem to be doing the right thing.

And there will always be self righteous prats who live in order to pontificate to others.

That poster has every right to post his/her opinion. Just as other posters have every right to agree/disagree.

But the high moral ground is getting tiresome at this stage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Portugal is coping the same as every other country, badly.

What makes you think they are the coping badly?

I feel the measures taken by most countries worked out very well.
    Leadership of most countries seem to think so, too.

Germany now beginning to lift some cross border travel restrictions
    with the aim of ending almost all restrictions by mid June!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/13/germanys-border-austria-reopen-mid-june/

The economic consequences of this could further ruin the country however. If tourists are allowed travel throughout Europe except to Ireland then the industry here is in big trouble. I think we’ve moved on from the no economy Is more important than one life stay the fuxk at home rhetoric now.

If the EU does agree quarantine free travel within its borders this summer, which has been reported this morning as being under discussion, I really don't see Ireland sitting it out. Notwithstanding the economic impact of removing ourselves from this arrangement, we have always toed the EU line. I am sure that such intra-EU travel (which would also presumably the include UK) will be accompanied by other protocols like mandatory masks from the moment you enter the airport, temperature checking and contact tracing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

How would it work? If you showed up at the airport and they checked your temperature and it was high, would they not let you board the flight? Would you lose your money? I cannot see any travel insurance company covering you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    How would it work? If you showed up at the airport and they checked your temperature and it was high, would they not let you board the flight? Would you lose your money? I cannot see any travel insurance company covering you?

Seems to be if you are denied boarding because of a temp check you can use the credit to fly again (no point for ultra cheap flights if they ever exist again).

Seems to be if you are denied boarding because of a temp check you can use the credit to fly again (no point for ultra cheap flights if they ever exist again).

Airline might say no to credit, that they will have lost a seat that they could have sold to someone else

Airlines have said that you can rebook for free if denied boarding due to a test or temp check. But that doesnt resolve the issue of lost accommodation bookings, or indeed if you get out to your destination okay, but they cant come back and have to pay for 14 days accommodation out there.

I am sure that these are the kind of things being discussed at EU level right now. And where there is a will there is a way....and I sense that there is a strong will across the EU to find a solution to this.

Airline might say no to credit, that they will have lost a seat that they could have sold to someone else

Over here saying it would be deemed a no show. If that's the case why would anyone fly?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058063437&page=34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good vibes coming from the EU today for those interested in travel by mid-summer
    It is not clear whether non-Europeans would be allowed to visit this summer, with the European Commission reportedly saying: “Domestic and intra-EU tourism will prevail in the short-term.” —Holly Ellyatt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Likely restrictions extended through June 15th

With plan to reopen from June 16th or perhaps July 16th.

Will depend on progress but I would suggest that travel will recommence freely between EU nations from July 16th at the latest if there is no resurgence in the virus.

Over here saying it would be deemed a no show. If that's the case why would anyone fly?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058063437&page=34

Because the chances of getting COVID are pretty low, especially looking forward to July and thereafter, and Id certainly be prepared to risk it

Gets messy when you go to Portugal or somewhere for a week and can't get back as you're ill with a temperature .......... mightn't even be Covid19. It's enough of an IF to deter loads IMO.

Augeo wrote: »
    Gets messy when you go to Portugal or somewhere for a week and can't get back as you're ill with a temperature .......... mightn't even be Covid19. It's enough of an IF to deter loads IMO.

Is this speculation or have you a source? is it the temperature checkers in portugese airports? Read somewhere that they had installed them..

Just partaking in the chat here, folk mentioning temperature checks at airports and folk with elevated temperatures not allowed to board.

As I said, not the end of the world on the way out when you can just go home, huge pain in the arse if it happens coming home.

I think you are right to an extent. Certainly people travelling with families might be put off. I wont be....it'll just be my wife and I, and we'd be okay with the small risk of being stuck somewhere, and happy to pay for it. Will probably always travel with my laptop though....just in case. And will WFH from an Airbnb somewhere else rather than in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I finally got my Aer lingus voucher from my USA trip i didn’t go on in April.

I’m tempted to use it to book a flight over there for next March ( i have family there), even to just make me feel positive about it again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surely people will just take paracetamol or other drugs that lower temperatures? Maybe even preemptively?

This isn't me advocating doing this but it will happen. I've been on flights before where there have been some people who were clearly ill but travelling anyway. Lots of people don't think beyond themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

I think you are right to an extent. Certainly people travelling with families might be put off. I wont be....it'll just be my wife and I, and we'd be okay with the small risk of being stuck somewhere, and happy to pay for it. Will probably always travel with my laptop though....just in case. And will WFH from an Airbnb somewhere else rather than in Dublin

I guess it will be a slow/soft start anyway.
    Gives airports and airline some time to see which processes work and
    establish best practice as more and more travelers return to the skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Caranica wrote: »
    Surely people will just take paracetamol or other drugs that lower temperatures? Maybe even preemptively?

This isn't me advocating doing this but it will happen. I've been on flights before where there have been some people who were clearly ill but travelling anyway. Lots of people don't think beyond themselves.

Doesn’t paracetamal only reduce it slightly? You probably would still be over the threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Caranica wrote: »

Wasn't it Clare Byrne or Tubridy who tested positive and yet didn't have the temp increase?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    ........... tested positive and yet didn't have the temp increase?

Plenty could have Covid19 without a fever / elevated temperature.

Symptoms that may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus:
    Cough
    Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

Or at least two of the following:
    Fever
    Chills
    Repeated shaking with chills
    Muscle pain
    Headache
    Sore throat
    New loss of taste or smell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

New loss of taste or smell

Getting them to do a blind taste test or scent test seems about as reliable as temperature check... temperature test is going to have huge number of false positives and false negatives.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The only symptoms that other passengers would have me worried about would be if they were coughing and sneezing. How exactly is somebody who has a temperature going to effect other fellow passengers? I’m presuming all other safety precautions are going to be adhered to by all passengers i.e face masks , hand hygiene etc while onboard the plane. The temperature checks at the airports is just another “security theatre” .

dalyboy wrote: »
    ...........How exactly is somebody who has a temperature going to effect other fellow passengers?.............

It can be spread without coughing or sneezing and face masks aren't the be all and end all protection that many would have you believe.......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/can-a-face-mask-protect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

" viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is a main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly fivefold protection versus no barrier alone (although others have found lower levels of effectiveness)"

I'd prefer not to be on a plane within a few metres of someone with a Covid19 caused temperature tbh. Mask or no mask.

I would suspect that social distancing is as important if not more so then face masks & hand hygiene in preventing transmission. .......... all that said temp checks at airports don't seem overly beneficial to me as a covid19 control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

faceman wrote: »
    2 weeks on return to Ireland. It’s being worked on to become legislation at the moment. Not sure what stage it’s at

The dail and seanad can't currently pass any legislation

masterK wrote: »
    Since we are prohibited from travelling more than 20km from our home until July 20th how are we supposed to get to the airport?

Nobody is prohibited from traveling from their home ,the limit you refer to is for "exercise" traveling to the airport is not exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It can be spread without coughing or sneezing and face masks aren't the be all and end all protection that many would have you believe.......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/can-a-face-mask-protect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

" viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is a main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly fivefold protection versus no barrier alone (although others have found lower levels of effectiveness)"

I'd prefer not to be on a plane within a few metres of someone with a Covid19 caused temperature tbh. Mask or no mask.

Ok. But my point is they are NOT coughing and sneezing (did you miss that part of my post) so there’s no aerosols emitted to enter ones eyes etc. If someone A-symptomatic (zero symptoms) then I couldn’t care less about them and I’ll go enjoy my holiday

• Advertisement

Damian F wrote: »
    Nobody is prohibited from traveling from their home ,the limit you refer to is for "exercise" traveling to the airport is not exercise

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

The department is advising against all non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. This decision was taken on the advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team to combat COVID-19.

I imagine a holiday is not essential travel, so the advice is not to do it.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Ok. But my point is they are NOT coughing and sneezing (did you miss that part of my post) so there’s no aerosols emitted to enter ones eyes etc. If someone A-symptomatic (zero symptoms) then I couldn’t care less about them and I’ll go enjoy my holiday

Aerosols aren't just emitted by coughing.

The department is advising against all non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. This decision was taken on the advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team to combat COVID-19.

The key word there is "advising" The government also advise against smoking but that doesn't mean it's illegal to smoke

The key word there is "advising" The government also advise against smoking but that doesn't mean it's illegal to smoke

Yes, but is ignoring public health advise during a pandemic wise?
    You've been a good boy so far presumably?

Yes, but is ignoring public health advise during a pandemic wise?
    You've been a good boy so far presumably?

Covid 19 is not going to go away, I believe the politicians and media have fooled the masses into thinking that if they stay at home watching Netflix for few months Coronavirus will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I think the easing of the restrictions will be the telling point, if and when it happens - not just in Ireland, but in other countries.

For instance France, as an example, is gradually going to allow gatherings for leisure, dining work etc. on interval periods.

If there are no new infections during that time then the authorities there will allow non citizens access for holidays and non-essential visits.
    If, however, there's a demonstrable increase in Covid infections then it will shut the country down quickly and the whole process begins again.

It really is difficult to anticipate. The whole Covid 19 dilemma is a huge unknown and there aren't any models to predict the extent of its duration.

I would be surprised if travel will be an open for business again policy before the end of the year i.e. October etc. and more likely not until next year sometime.

• Advertisement

There is not yet any agreement / directive from the EU, and no change to border protocols (most countries remain accessible to only their residents and citizens). The talks are in an early stage. When that changes, and borders are opened, I would fully expect the Irish advice to change.

In the short term, I have a flat in the UK, so will be going against advice pretty soon anyway (though will be quarantining, as required, on the way back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

True but just to note your travel insurance won't cover such trips, if there's a travel advisory in force. So if you have issues with flight cancellations, or have to extend your stay due to virus or preventative quarantine, you'll be out of pocket.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    True but just to note your travel insurance won't cover such trips, if there's a travel advisory in force. So if you have issues with flight cancellations, or have to extend your stay due to virus or preventative quarantine, you'll be out of pocket.

for short haul EU trips, that will likely be heavily discounted (MoL suggested the 'sale of the century'), I think many people (perhaps not families with kids) would be prepared to take that risk.

Covid 19 is not going to go away, I believe the politicians and media have fooled the masses into thinking that if they stay at home watching Netflix for few months Coronavirus will be gone.

I don't agree.
    The hope is that the number of cases will drop to the extent that the spread of the virus will be slow once restrictions ease.
    Politicians have been saying that since the start.

There is not yet any agreement / directive from the EU, and no change to border protocols (most countries remain accessible to only their residents and citizens). The talks are in an early stage. When that changes, and borders are opened, I would fully expect the Irish advice to change.

In the short term, I have a flat in the UK, so will be going against advice pretty soon anyway (though will be quarantining, as required, on the way back)

Indeed, the current advice is in tandem with the current situation.
    All the folk talking about breaching the 20km limit to go on their hols are talking through their hoops.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement