Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Are you really looking forward to a holiday confined to your hotel room?

On what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have trip end July, Irish Government advising against travel EU seem to be saying it be ok.
    Ryanair flights starting from July 1st so it is a strange situation.
    I am happy with accommodation...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

On what basis?

Even if the flight goes, resorts etc are not going to be back to normal by September...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Fascinating thread on arrival procedures in Hong Kong.

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784481159442434?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Klonker wrote: »
    Cheers. Yeah the OH is from Bulgaria so up to date with the situation there. It just seems strange that they are not letting anyone else book flights on the Tuesdays even though they haven't been cancelled as of yet.

They are directing new bookings on to the Thursday flight so they can cancel the Tuesday one.
    You will probably get a n offer for a free move if you want it.
    Anyone on the Thursday flight now who doesnt want to fly will lose their money.

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jesus. Italians allowed into Spain but not Irish?

I worry that Ireland will be lumped in with the UK when countries start opening back up more. During my travels many locals in different countries just think ROI is part of UK, and even some think we're part of Britain!

Ireland might as well be UK. Effectively no border and free travel between the UK and here.

Caranica wrote: »

Imagine that in Ireland.
    It would take days.

Im out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ireland might as well be UK. Effectively no border and free travel between the UK and here.

That could be said about Canada/USA and a huge number of land locked European countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Caranica wrote: »

I wouldn't be advocating any solution the Chinese put forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I wouldn't be advocating any solution the Chinese put forward.

Hong Kong isn't doing the same as China. The authorities act relatively independently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Varadkar saying he hopes to get travel normalised as soon as possible but that is months not weeks away. All I want to know from a personal point of view is which month? The EU are making efforts to get things back to normal as countries open up but we seem to be going against the grain a little. Is September realistic or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Varadkar saying he hopes to get travel normalised as soon as possible but that is months not weeks away. All I want to know from a personal point of view is which month? The EU are making efforts to get things back to normal as countries open up but we seem to be going against the grain a little. Is September realistic or not?

The problem is it’s still early days on how this f***k of a virus will pan out in the next couple of months, i don’t think anyone knows the answer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Layne

Damian F wrote: »
    Holland is another country people are free to travel to.

Any clarity on this.
    We have a family booked to Holland for August. Does it look like this is a runner so??
    Accommodation/holiday park have already offered rescheduling for next year if we are unable to travel.
    Booked flights with Ryanair, around €400, and looks like they will be flying.
    Had it in mind to put everything back to next year bit not so sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Layne wrote: »
    Any clarity on this.
    We have a family booked to Holland for August. Does it look like this is a runner so??
    Accommodation/holiday park have already offered rescheduling for next year if we are unable to travel.
    Booked flights with Ryanair, around €400, and looks like they will be flying.
    Had it in mind to put everything back to next year bit not so sure now.

From Dutch Gov. Website:

"Frequently asked questions about tourism in the Netherlands
    Can foreigners still visit the Netherlands on a holiday?
    The Dutch government is discouraging travel of any kind and calling on everyone to stay at home as much as possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Micky 32 wrote:
    Spreading the virus? Going by the stats the opposite is happening, give over. We are doing well.

Things are slightly improving, I agree.

You will remember a few weeks ago though when case numbers were rising rapidly and we had lovely weather you had traffic jams in glendalough and greystones and many people not observing social distancing

Now if the weather had been poor they would have not been out therefore decreasing the opportunity for the virus to spread.

Things are slightly improving, I agree.

You will remember a few weeks ago though when case numbers were rising rapidly and we had lovely weather you had traffic jams in glendalough and greystones and many people not observing social distancing

Now if the weather had been poor they would have not been out therefore decreasing the opportunity for the virus to spread.

But that was then not now before the lockdown things have moved on since. Are you saying there are still traffic jams in Glendalough etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Micky 32 wrote:
    But that was then not now before the lockdown things have moved on since. Are you saying there are still traffic jams in Glendalough etc?

I was just basing my argument on mathematics.

Poorer weather = less people outside = less people spreading the virus.

Fingers crossed for next week that numbers don't start increasing so we can start getting some semblance of normality back in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

Leo says it'll be months before normal travel resumes.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0514/1138325-coronavirus-live-tracker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cant wait to hit the Med this summer.

:D

Cant wait to hit the Med this summer.

:D

As you won't be able to get travel insurance do you have a million to spare for a possible ICU stay?

• Advertisement

As you won't be able to get travel insurance do you have a million to spare for a possible ICU stay?

I'd be prepared to take that chance - the odds that I end up in ICU, given my age and health profile, are miniscule. Sure, there is a chance I get COVID or, more likely, get a cold or temperature such that I cant fly back, in which case I will hunker down in a local airbnb for a couple more weeks. I would take my laptop with me for all travel over the next couple of years, in case there is a sudden lockdown, or I cant board a plane. But I'm working from home anyway, so that makes no difference

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wouldn't the EHIC cover that?

spurious wrote: »

Yes we need clarification on this big time

probably one of the things being discussed at EU level now

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kelso00

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/English/Newsroom/lufthansa-group-significantly-expands-service-with-june-flight-schedule/s/6d2410cd-36db-4bf4-b18e-1bd4b09a2219
    Lufthansa’s additional flights that are resuming in the first half of June, in Germany and Europe, are from Frankfurt, Hanover, Majorca, Sofia, Prague, Billund, Nice, Manchester, Budapest, Dublin, Riga, Krakow, Bucharest and Kiev. From Munich, it is Münster/Osnabrück, Sylt, Rostock, Vienna, Zurich, Brussels and Majorca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

There's some prophets of doom posting on this thread.

billyhead wrote: »

We, collectively, seem to be sinking further and further into a stupor with respect to COVID. There’s very little positivity, and a lethargy about getting back to normal which I am sure is partially explained by €350 a week.

But in the meantime, Sweden is largely open for business, albeit very quiet, and there are direct flights and no quarantine for EU travellers. It’s expensive to travel on SAS, which will be prohibitive for many, and there will obviously be quarantine on the way back, but I’m booking a flight for June to get somewhere with a bit going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

but I’m booking a flight for June to get somewhere with a bit going on.

How do you intend to get to the airport considering the 20km travel limit will still be in place?

atahuapla wrote: »
    How do you intend to get to the airport considering the 20km travel limit will still be in place?

Does that apply to leaving the country i wonder?

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »

You reckon? Lol. What gave you that idea? I’m confident things will work out at some stage.

I actually live in Dublin, so I'm okay

We, collectively, seem to be sinking further and further into a stupor with respect to COVID. There’s very little positivity, and a lethargy about getting back to normal which I am sure is partially explained by €350 a week.

But in the meantime, Sweden is largely open for business, albeit very quiet, and there are direct flights and no quarantine for EU travellers. It’s expensive to travel on SAS, which will be prohibitive for many, and there will obviously be quarantine on the way back, but I’m booking a flight for June to get somewhere with a bit going on.

Whats 350 got to do with it? Neither me or my partner or any of my friends apart from one are on that payment and none of us have travel plans until the relevant health and governmental departments have approved it. Its common sense not negativity, plus no one wants to catch it without symptoms and spread it back in their country?

Maybe they live within 20 Km of the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Maybe they live within 20 Km of the airport

Perhaps. It's still an irresponsible and selfish decision to travel internationally in June.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The EHIC is still in effect for EU citizens. However it’s not travel insurance. It only gives cover at the same level a local citizen would get. Therefore if the locals pay, you pay. It doesn’t cover any private treatments or repatriation.

The Italian government has said they will treat any EU citizen with coronavirus even if they don’t have a EHIC

• Advertisement

I see Varradkar and Boris were talking today to make sure there will be a 14 day quarantine for anyone going to Uk or coming here.

If that happens, how long will they do this for? Predictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Perhaps. It's still an irresponsible and selfish decision to travel internationally in June.

Ah will you ever cop on!! Human nature is human nature and you can't expect people to live under the bed forever. People have been fantastic. The over 70's,some of whom, are fitter than 30 year olds, have done what was asked. The young, in their prime of life and adventure, have done what was asked. The vast majority of all of us have done what was asked.. It's in no way selfish to want to start living again and people have to be trusted to do this responsibly.

Mask up, glove up, keep the 2 metre distance and keep the hand sanitizer on you at all times and off you go and I certainly don't begrudge it!

I’m booking a flight for June to get somewhere with a bit going on.

Fair play to you woody22. You might take me with you:pac:

acequion wrote: »
    Ah will you ever cop on!! Human nature is human nature and you can't expect people to live under the bed forever. People have been fantastic. The over 70's,some of whom, are fitter than 30 year olds, have done what was asked. The young, in their prime of life and adventure, have done what was asked. The vast majority of all of us have done what was asked.. It's in no way selfish to want to start living again and people have to be trusted to do this responsibly.

Mask up, glove up, keep the 2 metre distance and keep the hand sanitizer on you at all times and off you go and I certainly don't begrudge it!

Fair play to you woody22. You might take me with you:pac:

You’ll find it’s the treehuggers that would want this, it would suit them if it was permanent and living under a bed from what i’m seeing 😛

Some positivity, Italy lifting travel restrictions from June in and out of the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Some positivity, Italy lifting travel restrictions from June in and out of the country.

More importantly they’re removing the quarantine period. This is going to be problematic for other Med countries who will be eager to open borders to pick up some tourism revenue this year

• Advertisement

Sorry, but what the fúck?

One of the worst hit countries with it in the world - 242 deaths yesterday alone - is opening back up?

Wave number 2 in Europe here we come. No doubt about it

Wave number 2 in Europe here we come. No doubt about it

We’ll see but i doubt it. You might see a few small manageable spikes here and there but people are now more cautious. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit in with your doomist outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Really keeping an eye on Lanzarote for July. Hoping it goes ahead. Dont think it will but no harm in holding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Really keeping an eye on Lanzarote for July. Hoping it goes ahead. Dont think it will but no harm in holding out.

We’ve had our late June outbound flight to Canaries cancelled by Ryanair, all the noise from official sources as regards international visitors to Spain & their islands indicate September or more likely October but Italy have just thrown a spanner in the works so who knows,

We’ll see but i doubt it. You might see a few small manageable spikes here and there but people are now more cautious. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit in with your doomist outlook.

Far from doomist, thanks. I'm being pragmatic

How the hell will flights flowing into and out of Italy not lead to another huge European spike?

Far from doomist, thanks. I'm being pragmatic

How the hell will flights flowing into and out of Italy not lead to another huge European spike?

Even if flights open not many people will fly for now anyway. It will be gradual and by that time things will be a lot better. It’s nice to see a bit of positivity at least.

Another thing to consider, if both countries had the same covid 19 risks it probably wouldn’t make a difference. People will still move around their respective countries. Being on a plane is safer than a crowded bus or a tube train in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd say August/September is looking very likely

July is a close call and June probably only for the very brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

We’ve had our late June outbound flight to Canaries cancelled by Ryanair, all the noise from official sources as regards international visitors to Spain & their islands indicate September or more likely October but Italy have just thrown a spanner in the works so who knows,

What i have being told about Spain is anyone who is a tax resident can return to their home there, i think it this coming week as there a couple i know who are Spanish resident i know who got stranded here they say but i think they knew what they were doing as Spain was in complete lockdown for about 6 weeks, its too much of a coincidence that they were doing up a place here for last month.
    I was also told people who own properties and are non-resident can go to their places from last week in July.
    It will be interesting to see as O'Leary says Ryanair will have flights from July 1 and if flights are on people will travel.
    The EU has said it is up to individual countries but i believe the EU countries will have to agree dates going forward as whats happening now makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shadowmouse

Italy will allow travel to and from abroad starting on June 3, the government announced late Friday night.

Might only be for EU residents, but the trend is clear: Europe is opening fast.

What i have being told about Spain is anyone who is a tax resident can return to their home there, i think it this coming week as there a couple i know who are Spanish resident i know who got stranded here they say but i think they knew what they were doing as Spain was in complete lockdown for about 6 weeks, its too much of a coincidence that they were doing up a place here for last month.
    I was also told people who own properties and are non-resident can go to their places from last week in July.
    It will be interesting to see as O'Leary says Ryanair will have flights from July 1 and if flights are on people will travel.
    The EU has said it is up to individual countries but i believe the EU countries will have to agree dates going forward as whats happening now makes no sense...

Spain only allowing EU Shengen countries in from July which rules Ireland and U.K. out at the moment. I wonder if they will make an exception for property owners

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement