Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just to clarify what happened with my trip.
    First of all yesterday i get flight time change for July 23rd which is fine.
    Then last night when i went to check what was original time flight on July 31st i am informed that my return flight cancelled and the earliest free option is Aug 6th and i do not want be away this long, i had not got email confirmation of cancellation.
    It appears i happened on the system and it was just being changed, i later got email confirmation of cancelled flight and loads of options for free change.
    Because i prefer go previous week i contacted online chat and was done in a few mins free...

Sorry put this in wrong thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Folks

Just received a mail from ryanair. Flights cancelled 10th of July from Dub and 21st of July Lanzarote.

Yet ours on July 1st & returning July 11th to Lanzarote havent ben cancelled. We got a time change email only last night in fact.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My outbound cancelled to Girona 17th July.Inbound from Barcelona 2 weeks later still going ahead...what happens here?I cant take the trip now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How is it that Lufthansa can be bailed out? Are the state aid rules not clear here or is there some work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Hadn't anything booked for over the summer, but absolutely dying to get away. I would be someone who is even more cautious than most, but I just can't take this anymore. I'm on my own in London and losing the will to live, cooped up in a tiny flat. I have a ridiculous amount of leave carried over due to having to cancel time off I'd booked for a friend's wedding in March.

A friend in Barcelona has invited me to stay for a week or so (maybe two), whenever the restrictions ease and flights get started, if I'm able to. I had already written off 2020 but it looks like there could be flights starting up as soon as July, IF things go well and there's no major surge.

Would it be ridiculous to consider going? I'd bring a mask for the flight and hand gel, and it would just be me and my friend in his flat. We're close friends and he's already said it's grand for me to clean and sanitise as much as I want to, if it makes me feel comfortable, and he won't be offended. :D The beach is within walking distance, as are a number of nice bars with outside seats. Public transport would be limited to the metro to/from the airport.

I just have a worry that I'd be really irresponsible and stupid to take a risk to go on holidays. I don't want to be a 'covidiot'. I would do everything possible to minimise risk, and I do speak fluent Spanish should I end up needing to seek medical care over there or whatever. I can work from home on return, so no worries about any quarantine upon returning to the UK.

Is this insane? Is it at all likely I'll even be able to travel before the end of the summer? Are prices likely to be ridiculous? Is anyone else planning something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Go to Barcelona surely if you get a flight that will go in July / August / september. Don’t listen to anyone else, make your own decision. Anyway they’ve created tests today that can give you your result within 30 mins, which will do away with this whole 2 week quarantine BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Hadn't anything booked for over the summer, but absolutely dying to get away. I would be someone who is even more cautious than most, but I just can't take this anymore. I'm on my own in London and losing the will to live, cooped up in a tiny flat. I have a ridiculous amount of leave carried over due to having to cancel time off I'd booked for a friend's wedding in March.

A friend in Barcelona has invited me to stay for a week or so (maybe two), whenever the restrictions ease and flights get started, if I'm able to. I had already written off 2020 but it looks like there could be flights starting up as soon as July, IF things go well and there's no major surge.

Would it be ridiculous to consider going? I'd bring a mask for the flight and hand gel, and it would just be me and my friend in his flat. We're close friends and he's already said it's grand for me to clean and sanitise as much as I want to, if it makes me feel comfortable, and he won't be offended. :D The beach is within walking distance, as are a number of nice bars with outside seats. Public transport would be limited to the metro to/from the airport.

I just have a worry that I'd be really irresponsible and stupid to take a risk to go on holidays. I don't want to be a 'covidiot'. I would do everything possible to minimise risk, and I do speak fluent Spanish should I end up needing to seek medical care over there or whatever. I can work from home on return, so no worries about any quarantine upon returning to the UK.

Is this insane? Is it at all likely I'll even be able to travel before the end of the summer? Are prices likely to be ridiculous? Is anyone else planning something similar?

I completely agree with the last poster.Make your own decisions and don't mind this covidiot bullshyt. Don't zealots just love to label and throw stones! :rolleyes: No doubt they'll be on here attacking you but don't mind them! This whole period has been incredibly hard on mental health and for many, being cooped up in the lockdown has indeed been hell.

So don't even hesitate if you can get away, you're no more a threat to yourself or anybody else than you would be in London. We all have to start moving again and we can do it responsibly by taking all the precautions. Many of us are hoping to the exact same as you.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm on my own in London and losing the will to live, cooped up in a tiny flat. I have a ridiculous amount of leave carried over due to having to cancel time off I'd booked for a friend's wedding in March.

It's not a great solution but for the time being you can always leave London for the day and just take the train to the countryside somewhere, just for a change of scene.

In August/September things will be much different but impossible to predict how. In my opinion if flights are running, Spain is accepting visitors and you use common sense then you'll be fine. The idea of the isolation, especially for people who aren't in the risk group, is to avoid infecting others. If you're friend is happy for you to go over for a visit then I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

cgcsb wrote: »
    Iceland joined Schengen despite not having land borders as did Malta.
    Sweden isn't an island but it has a customs border with Norway anyway, 1 bridge to Denmark and 6 bridges to Finland, easy to manage if they wanted to.

We're not in schengen because of not wanting to I'd say. The migrant crisis of 2016 was such a disaster that Greece, Italy and Hungry were forced to take unilateral action. Why wish that on yourself.

We’re not in Schengen because the UK wouldn’t join and we have an open border with them due to the Common Travel Area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My outbound cancelled to Girona 17th July.Inbound from Barcelona 2 weeks later still going ahead...what happens here?I cant take the trip now.

You lose your money

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    It's not a great solution but for the time being you can always leave London for the day and just take the train to the countryside somewhere, just for a change of scene.

In August/September things will be much different but impossible to predict how. In my opinion if flights are running, Spain is accepting visitors and you use common sense then you'll be fine. The idea of the isolation, especially for people who aren't in the risk group, is to avoid infecting others. If you're friend is happy for you to go over for a visit then I'd say go for it.

I actually don't think you're allowed to use public transport for non-essential reasons? I was under the impression you couldn't, anyway. God, even a hike in the Hertfordshire countryside would seem like paradise at the moment.

Yep, my friend is happy, and lives alone, I now live alone, so wouldn't be risking anyone else's health coming back. Myself and my friend both work from home. Both countries have a similar risk level for the virus. Seems like an ideal scenario to get away somewhere, if I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ryanair refund system actually really straight forward to be honest.

acequion wrote: »
    I completely agree with the last poster.Make your own decisions and don't mind this covidiot bullshyt. Don't zealots just love to label and throw stones! :rolleyes: No doubt they'll be on here attacking you but don't mind them! This whole period has been incredibly hard on mental health and for many, being cooped up in the lockdown has indeed been hell..............

LOL

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113404149&postcount=1770
    acequion wrote: »
    We live in an age of wanting everything NOW. So even in the midst of a global pandemic of a potentially fatal disease that none of us can say we won't catch or god forbid, won't die of, people still want their "clarity" and "certainty" and they want it NOW.

The global pandemic shouldn't effect hillibobs though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Jesus, give it a rest will you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There seems to be more sniping between some posters on this thread than even in the feckin' Covid forum

A minority here are derailing the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Hopefully flying back to Ireland start of July, will probably look to stay in an Air Bnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are prices likely to be ridiculous?

I was pricing flights to USA for next March/April. They seem to be in the usual 400 euro price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryanair refund system actually really straight forward to be honest.

As long as you don't want a refund in a hurry. 71 days and counting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aer Lingus have no flights on lots of routes that would normally have them for October/November/December when you go online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Notice Aerlingus making masks compulsory from today and no inflight service on European flights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Notice Aerlingus making masks compulsory from today and no inflight service on European flights.

I wonder how long this will last. It’s not sustainable. Don’t see why they don’t just do what Southwest Airlines do. Down the cabin taking orders. Then return after all orders are done and give people what they ordered. Minimises lingering in the aisle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

faceman wrote: »
    I wonder how long this will last. It’s not sustainable. Don’t see why they don’t just do what Southwest Airlines do. Down the cabin taking orders. Then return after all orders are done and give people what they ordered. Minimises lingering in the aisle

If they are making masks mandatory, it is logical to stop selling food and drinks as consuming these requires to take-off the mask (which defeats the purpose of making them mandatory).

I think Aer Lingus are being more consistent than Ryanair here: MOL has said that masks will be mandatory, except for eating food so that they can keep selling it (but which doesn't make sense).

I think mandatory masks and no food is a good idea. Nobody needs to be stuffing food in their gob 24/7. People can eat and drink before they board, and then masks have to stay on for the whole flight. Anyone with a medical reason can maybe get an exemption, but there shouldn't be too many people who can't go a couple of hours without a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't think I've ever witnessed anyone ordering food on a ryanair flight. First time for everything I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think mandatory masks and no food is a good idea. Nobody needs to be stuffing food in their gob 24/7. People can eat and drink before they board, and then masks have to stay on for the whole flight. Anyone with a medical reason can maybe get an exemption, but there shouldn't be too many people who can't go a couple of hours without a sandwich.
    It's totally unrealistic for people not to be able to consume liquids on an aircraft. On a 3 hour flight you get very dehydrated if dont have water nevermind very thirsty too :P

Fair enough for short hops but to disallow any consumption onboard is just not possible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Personally, I dont expect to travel abroad this year, for work or leisure

I think (hope) things will return to normal next summer,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The only problem with this is that we now live in a world where everyone has something wrong with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its not possible to forbid people to drink on a flight of any length, just not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

the real question I need answered is how are people allowed travel if the pubs in airport are shut

surely nobody will be allowed board if they haven't posted their "obligatory" airport pint pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's totally unrealistic for people not to be able to consume liquids on an aircraft. On a 3 hour flight you get very dehydrated if dont have water nevermind very thirsty too :P

Fair enough for short hops but to disallow any consumption onboard is just not possible .

I get that people can feel thirsty and like to drink something which is understandable, but saying banning drinks would cause dehydration of passengers is going a step too far.

I almost never drink water/fluids on flights within Europe (which can be 3 hours of you go very South or East) and it has never been a problem.

If we were talking transatlantic flights or even more so flights to Asia ... then yes agree it is a problem. But for most if not all of Aer Lingus' European service it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

theres no way a flight full of families to the canary Islands with a journey time of 4+hrs can be expected to not eat or drink & maintain masks on for the entire duration of the flight and whatever additional time is required to get to a point where social distancing is practical.

You can say these things and even make them rules/regulations etc. but the fact is it simply won't happen. If they got 75% compliance I'd be genuinely amazed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I get very dehydrated on planes. I'm not sure why it affects me so badly, but in my case it's one of the many things that can trigger a migraine so I have a whole system in place to counter it now! I wouldn't be happy to fly masked up and unable to sip water, but then I had written off 2020 for air travel for me at this stage anyway.

I don't like the thought of people trying to circumvent quarantine after non-essential travel. If countries re-open and people want to take the personal chance to travel then that's ok, but at least have the decency to protect others when you return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only problem with this is that we now live in a world where everyone has something wrong with them.

...and those that haven't get their knickers in a knot complaining on behalf of those who do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ryanair Cancelled our flight to Greece on July 25th.

Greece are saying Irish and British tourists are welcome from June onwards, so it must be from the Irish side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

garv123 wrote: »
    Ryanair Cancelled our flight to Greece on July 25th.

Greece are saying Irish and British tourists are welcome from June onwards, so it must be from the Irish side of things.

Not according to this
    https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/21/greece-releases-list-of-first-20-nations-that-can-send-tourists-to-the-country/

Posted in another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dovies wrote: »

I cannot see the "screening" in Athens airport being too difficult.

For me it is a positive step. Greece is lucky in the number of cases that it has had compared to many other countries. Taking steps to mitigate the number of people travelling there is obvious.

With Greece open for business last Monday (no one in the shops by all accounts but traffic busy on the ring road around Athens) the economy is going to suffer dramatically again.

There are so many unknowns at this stage in travel. Personally, I will travel home and that is about it this year. Normally, I would have 20 flights done at this stage in the year. To date I have had 2. For the rest of this year, the ONLY flight with for me is a necessity, is to visit Mam and family in Ireland. Yes I will be tested before I fly, I will also carry face masks, hand sanitizer and wipe all surfaces that I come into contact with on the place, seat, tray, screen etc etc with wipes that I always carry.

If Ireland requires two weeks quarantine when I arrive with herself, so be it.

I would prefer to spend one or two weeks with family (after quarantine) than to have no contact with them physically at all.

Business travel has stopped. Work that should have been done in other countries, France, China, Brazil, Canada, Korea and Australia has all been cancelled for this year. Most of this cannot be rescheduled and has meant a loss of income for those we deal with, but a saving for us as we didn't have to spend it... people understand!

spurious wrote:
    ...and those that haven't get their knickers in a knot complaining on behalf of those who do.

Now now, no need to get your knickers in a knot ðŸ˜

And you a mod and all. Tut tut!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I get very dehydrated on planes. I'm not sure why it affects me so badly, but in my case it's one of the many things that can trigger a migraine so I have a whole system in place to counter it now! I wouldn't be happy to fly masked up and unable to sip water, but then I had written off 2020 for air travel for me at this stage anyway.

I don't like the thought of people trying to circumvent quarantine after non-essential travel. If countries re-open and people want to take the personal chance to travel then that's ok, but at least have the decency to protect others when you return.[

So you want nobody to travel without quarantine again until when exactly? You’ve written off air travel so that’s fine there’s a lot of us who are perfectly happy not to. I’d walk across a desert at this stage to get away from project fear for a while.

DvB wrote: »
    theres no way a flight full of families to the canary Islands with a journey time of 4+hrs can be expected to not eat or drink & maintain masks on for the entire duration of the flight and whatever additional time is required to get to a point where social distancing is practical.

You can say these things and even make them rules/regulations etc. but the fact is it simply won't happen. If they got 75% compliance I'd be genuinely amazed.

Nobody is forcing you to go. If you can't comply with the rules, don't go.

NSAman wrote: »
    I cannot see the "screening" in Athens airport being too difficult.

For me it is a positive step. Greece is lucky in the number of cases that it has had compared to many other countries. Taking steps to mitigate the number of people travelling there is obvious.

With Greece open for business last Monday (no one in the shops by all accounts but traffic busy on the ring road around Athens) the economy is going to suffer dramatically again.

There are so many unknowns at this stage in travel. Personally, I will travel home and that is about it this year. Normally, I would have 20 flights done at this stage in the year. To date I have had 2. For the rest of this year, the ONLY flight with for me is a necessity, is to visit Mam and family in Ireland. Yes I will be tested before I fly, I will also carry face masks, hand sanitizer and wipe all surfaces that I come into contact with on the place, seat, tray, screen etc etc with wipes that I always carry.

If Ireland requires two weeks quarantine when I arrive with herself, so be it.

I would prefer to spend one or two weeks with family (after quarantine) than to have no contact with them physically at all.

Business travel has stopped. Work that should have been done in other countries, France, China, Brazil, Canada, Korea and Australia has all been cancelled for this year. Most of this cannot be rescheduled and has meant a loss of income for those we deal with, but a saving for us as we didn't have to spend it... people understand!

I was thinking of going to Greece this year anyway. I'd love to support the economy if they're happy to have me. I need a break, some sun and a proper rest, they need my money. I wonder when we can book with confidence that it won't all get cancelled? Would it be better to look now or hold off a bit?

It feels weird to even be thinking about this when the UK is still in lockdown, but I'm just so desperate for a slice of normality.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of going to Greece this year anyway. I'd love to support the economy if they're happy to have me. I need a break, some sun and a proper rest, they need my money. I wonder when we can book with confidence that it won't all get cancelled? Would it be better to look now or hold off a bit?

I'd love to go away myself. Due to go in June to spain but won't be happening.

My main fear is someone in the hotel getting it and I'm stuck in the hotel for 14 days.

Just not worth the risk imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'd love to go away myself. Due to go in June to spain but won't be happening.

My main fear is someone in the hotel getting it and I'm stuck in the hotel for 14 days.

Just not worth the risk imo.

Or worse coming home here and having to quarantine for 14 days on the off chance that you might have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Its not possible to forbid people to drink on a flight of any length, just not going to happen
    We have operated for the last two months with zero catering onboard, not even water. Crews have to bring their own, passengers get absolutely nothing and have accepted this as a valid precaution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement