Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

theguzman wrote: »
    I hope this might bring back border control, we should be checking temperatures at the airports since January and we would have detected alot of the cases coming into Ireland, arrest them and chuck them into isolation and it would have saved lives, all those flights in from Italy and Cheltenham should have been screened, it wouldn't have stopped it fully but it would have slowed it down alot and saved many lives. Ireland and Northern Ireland need to bring in similar quarantine rules to operate as one to prevent future infection, imagine if Ebola went airborne we would be looking at a failed state and societal collapse.

Once the pandemic ends which it will then we are looking at a changed world, I don't see any country in a rush to lift the Chinese visa bans that are in place and imagine the likes of Thailand 20 years ago before it got destroyed. The economy will be in the toilet so hotels etc. will go down but airfares will temporarily go up, however with tonnes of perfect planes lying idle or in auction houses then we will see new companies emerge. Ryanair being strong and stable might emerge as a transatlantic player or move into new markets which were decimated now.

Every cloud will have a silver lining and there will be more new opportunities arising out of this we never thought imaginable. Manufacturing globally will be decentralised out of China, China will still be important but no company will risk having all their eggs in one market, I can see low cost nations like India and Nigeria getting a slice of the manufacturing and a large amount of critical technology and medical all returning to Europe and the US. Ireland has a huge Pharma tech industry, expect this to really boom as outsourced industries are returned home under Govt orders, US Med companies will relocate from China to here since we are an ally. China will face sanctions and higher tariffs and most likely end up like the CCCP isolated until the CCP implodes and there is a revolution there.

I be surprised if our Pharma/Tech industry gets bigger as this is already outsourced to us and Trump said in the white House St Patricks day that he wanted them back in the USA.
    I think the Government should have advised our people not to travel to Cheltenham.

China, If we start making our own stuff the consumer market that we love collapse as we cannot afford to buy it.
    Spain?Italy has a huge reliance on tourism so i expect once the virus settles they will be pushing for planes to travel.

We could start making our own clothes/shoes again but i think this is unlikely. I bought two good quality shirts 2 weeks ago in m&s sale, the total for the two was about €30 so that's crazy, i do not need but thats the kindof society we have become.
    We could start growing more of our own food (fruit/veg)

I do not know where the Market for our meat will be when this is over as our produce is pretty high end i think.
    There will be lasting changes when this is over.

I have a flight in 2 weeks Spain.
    I know it will be cancelled but have not being informed of this yet which surprises me.
    Also airlines are still selling flights even though they have announced be no flights April/May.
    Its hard to predict how the Airline thing will work as Tourism will want to return to normal so i do not expect big changes.
    The hotels are there and the Airlines are there. In a Month from now we know more.
    Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

So you'd like lots more people in Spain to get infected and die so that you can get your refund?

Thats inevitable anyway regardless of what i think.

No need for the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Suppose to be going to Lanzarote in early July. Consigned to the inevitable at this stage. Just hoping cases stay up and Ryanair pull the flights.
    So you'd like lots more people in Spain to get infected and die so that you can get your refund?
    Thats inevitable anyway regardless of what i think.

No need for the drama.

Drama?

If i was going to be dramatic I'd have told you what an odious human being you come across as but I doubt if that bothers you.

Good luck with your refund. Sure what's a few thousand dead pensioners compered to getting one over on Ryanair? You'll show them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Suppose to be going to Lanzarote in early July. Consigned to the inevitable at this stage. Just hoping cases stay up and Ryanair pull the flights.

We're the same, Lanzarote with Ryanair first week in July. At this stage I'd be confident these flights will be cancelled and a refund given. Was reading over the w/e that the Spanish government are writing off the tourist season for 2020 with no expectation of them getting to grips with this to an extent that would allow tourism resume before 2021. The thoughts of what that reality is doing to 1000's (millions!?) of people is mind boggling, my heart goes out to them and what they are going through. Tourism is the least of their worries I suspect.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

If you'd asked me back in March I was trying to be positive and would have said we'll travel again in late July/August. Now I'm not so sure. I've flights booked to Greece on August 15th and I don't believe I'll be going.
    I think 2020 travel is out of the question at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DvB wrote: »
    We're the same, Lanzarote with Ryanair first week in July. At this stage I'd be confident these flights will be cancelled and a refund given. Was reading over the w/e that the Spanish government are writing off the tourist season for 2020 with no expectation of them getting to grips with this to an extent that would allow tourism resume before 2021. The thoughts of what that reality is doing to 1000's (millions!?) of people is mind boggling, my heart goes out to them and what they are going through. Tourism is the least of their worries I suspect.

For a country dependant on tourism they are up **** creek big time economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Supposed to be going to Poland on the 31st May. Have a feeling we won't be going :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Supposed to be going to Poland on the 31st March. Have a feeling we won't be going :(

In 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    In 2021?

Ah meant May. Woops. :o

• Advertisement

Hope fully so. I by no means want to see people dying etc. But I'd prefer Governments to show caution here. I don't think it's fair to ask people to fly or holiday this year in countries currently in a really bad way due to all of this.

I fully sympathise with the millions who count on tourism to raise families and pay bills etc but it has to come second to getting a handle on all of this. Having millions of people flocking to the Iberian Peninsula, mainland Europe and holiday Islands this summer will almost certainly lead to a quick deterioration and another peak for this disease.

Ah meant May. Woops. :o

Ah cool.

Yes that's not happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My poor Ryanair app is more red than blue these days.....:(

508533.jpg

If I'd known the govt. were gonna send €350 to my bank account each week, I'd have hopped on the last flight into spain and isolated there for a while instead of here. I actually know one or two people over there that decided to stay put and 'extend' their holiday instead of coming home. Can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Massive improvements in air quality and drop in emissions since the planes were grounded.

We seriously need to look at some way to keep flights under control.

It might be a good time to slap €100 onto every plane and ferry ticket and €1000 onto every shipping container movement.

_Brian wrote: »
    Massive improvements in air quality and drop in emissions since the planes were grounded.

It might be a good time to slap €100 onto every plane and ferry ticket and €1000 onto every shipping container movement.

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wow

Yup.

We’re doing a massive amount of nonsensical travel. People are buying container loads of tat for no good reason other than it’s so cheap. We have food being grown in polytunnel a in third world countries to provide crazy cheap options that destroys local growers.

Make transport and shipping more expensive to curb its usage.

If I'd known the govt. were gonna send €350 to my bank account each week, I'd have hopped on the last flight into spain and isolated there for a while instead of here. I actually know one or two people over there that decided to stay put and 'extend' their holiday instead of coming home. Can't say I blame them.

I believe isolation stricter in Spain here as people not allowed leave apartments/houses. The police are patrolling the streets i am told...

Not going to happen for that amount of money plane ticket wise. The Aviation industry is on it's knees and it'll be an extra tenner at most.

And taxing businesses who are trying to recover financially for using shipping containers?

Not a feckin' chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I am based between here and there, and I was facing that a few weeks ago, and decided not to fly as I watched the way things were going in Spain. I have mixed feelings as I don't know when I'll be able to go back, so I'm here, and my girlfriend is there. More restrictions over there, so you can't go outside unless absolutely essential. So may as well be here, as you can't go outside over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Unsure of negativity in here, already signs restrictions on the continent will begin to ease by early May. We are only into this a few weeks, July is a long way away at this point, so much will happen between now and then.

It's anybody guess what things will be like in 12-16 weeks.

• Advertisement

Who qualifies for this and for how long?

The low cost airline model will struggle to survive this. If they are required to carry lighter loads thst means fares go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gael23 wrote: »
    The low cost airline model will struggle to survive this. If they are required to carry lighter loads thst means fares go up

what would lighter loads achieve? the air is still recycled so would still cause the problem, whether I am beside someone or a seat over.

what would lighter loads achieve? the air is still recycled so would still cause the problem, whether I am beside someone or a seat over.

Would they not have to comply to social distancing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was comparing the price of flights now to what I paid to the destination in Spain I have booked in September and they have increased by 50 euro. Prices may go up on all flights to recover some of the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Unsure of negativity in here, already signs restrictions on the continent will begin to ease by early May. We are only into this a few weeks, July is a long way away at this point, so much will happen between now and then.

It's anybody guess what things will be like in 12-16 weeks.

I hope you're right...... Due to go to Portugal in September so it's fingers crossed at the moment. Having that said it's the least of our worries when we are in a situation where I can't even call to look after my mother cos my factory job is deemed "essential"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Just whack 10,000% tariffs onto everything Made in China and destroy their Communist Party and liberate the Chinese people. It would quickly force the multinationals to relocate manufacturing out of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Imagine the world decided to go into a transport "lockdown" every year for a month or two. It won't happen obviously, but yeah would be great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I wonder when we will fly again?

Is it very unrealistic to think we could be flying again and going on holidays in time for the August bank holiday?

I'd be quietly confident that things will slowly get going again from June but like to hear what other people's opinions are?

It depends where you want to go. Germany? Maybe July. Spain? Next year. UK? Next year. Italy? Same. US? God knows.

Travel will probably be resumed to a country when everyone recovers plus fourteen days.

Our hol has been cancelled but hell, I'd rather be inconvenienced then dead or very sick.

It depends where you want to go. Germany? Maybe July. Spain? Next year. UK? Next year. Italy? Same. US? God knows.

Travel will probably be resumed to a country when everyone recovers plus fourteen days.

Our hol has been cancelled but hell, I'd rather be inconvenienced then dead or very sick.

This all day long.

My opinion differs a little though.

I really think that Governments should be stepping in cancelling all non essential travel to Covid affected areas for the net 4-6 months. Take the choice out of peoples hands here.

• Advertisement

I really think that Governments should be stepping in cancelling all non essential travel to Covid affected areas for the net 4-6 months. Take the choice out of peoples hands here.

Agree, many people will still travel if flights resume, probably because they are happy to take the risk & to avoid losing out financially because airlines & insurance companies refuse to pay out refunds etc. thus potentially starting another chain reaction outbreak.
    I know its going to have a huge financial impact on the tourism industry but thats going to happen anyway, we really need to stop 100'000's of people, young, old and in between from suddenly starting hopping from country to country again so soon IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its not the plane groundings thats done it. Its the complete fall in industrial output. Flights are a couple of percent of pollution, its not really where the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

We’ll fly again
    Don’t know how, don’t know when
    But we’ll fly again some sunny day

This all day long.

My opinion differs a little though.

If the current trend continues i expect very limited flights start to resume in about a Month, if this goes reasonably ok limited normal service about a Month later.
    I do not expect there to be any package tours this year. How individual hotels etc manage their end of the business will decide who feels safe to go on hols.
    I agree that things should shut down for as long as is necessary but Governments have to manage the money.
    If Governments thorought Europe are paying everyones wages and collecting no tax, how long is this sustainable?

If the current trend continues i expect very limited flights start to resume in about a Month, if this goes reasonably ok limited normal service about a Month later.
    I do not expect there to be any package tours this year. How individual hotels etc manage their end of the business will decide who feels safe to go on hols.
    I agree that things should shut down for as long as is necessary but Governments have to manage the money.
    If Governments thorought Europe are paying everyones wages and collecting no tax, how long is this sustainable?

Ye looking like end of May start of June will be crucial here.

Any community transmission and that'll be that for tourism you'd assume.

Csn you see it being that clear in Spain by end of May start of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

A Spanish government minister was interviewed on CNN today. They are quite happy that they seem to be getting on top of things as regards new cases. She mentioned non essential workplaces reopening soon (thought she said next week but I might have misheard her) but when it came to travel she basically said it's not even being discussed at the moment.

A Spanish government minister was interviewed on CNN today. They are quite happy that they seem to be getting on top of things as regards new cases. She mentioned non essential workplaces reopening soon (thought she said next week but I might have misheard her) but when it came to travel she basically said it's not even being discussed at the moment.

They'll be slaughtered of they put tourism before peoples health.

Only when they have no new cases should they re open the sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

They'll be slaughtered of they put tourism before peoples health.

Only when they have no new cases should they re open the sorts.

When it keeps your country alive maybe not

• Advertisement

I really have no idea when flights will resume.
    I do see Austria and i cannot remember where else saying starting to lift restrictions from next week.
    Also this is dangerous for our elected Governments as they are elected to distribute our taxes.
    At the moment they are paying people with money that is borrowed and will take a long time to recover.
    The political agenda at the moment Socialist and we have elected capitalist/consumer Governments for the most part in Europe.
    Qddly enough this evening on C4 news some senior guy in UK Government was talking when the Covid numbers started lowering how we would EXIT the lockdown and start returning to normal.
    He did not say a timeframe but it seemed to me from his tone he was not talking distant future,
    I do not know how world Governments can keep borrowing? it may be they can keep doing this as this international borrowing i do not really understand, if we Ireland say borrow enough are we owned by the Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I really have no idea when flights will resume.
    I do see Austria and i cannot remember where else saying starting to lift restrictions from next week.
    Also this is dangerous for our elected Governments as they are elected to distribute our taxes.
    At the moment they are paying people with money that is borrowed and will take a long time to recover.
    The political agenda at the moment Socialist and we have elected capitalist/consumer Governments for the most part in Europe.
    Qddly enough this evening on C4 news some senior guy in UK Government was talking when the Covid numbers started lowering how we would EXIT the lockdown and start returning to normal.
    He did not say a timeframe but it seemed to me from his tone he was not talking distant future,
    I do not know how world Governments can keep borrowing? it may be they can keep doing this as this international borrowing i do not really understand, if we Ireland say borrow enough are we owned by the Bank.

Our government has not borrowed any money yet

i do not really understand, if we Ireland say borrow enough are we owned by the Bank.

ECB interest rate is -0.75%. They are paying us to take the money

ZX7R wrote: »
    Our government has not borrowed any money yet

That's great, every project we do like new Hospital, Broadband, Roads etc money always seems to be a problem.

Great news we will not have to our debt as i think it is 90billion the last thing cost us. Have we paid that off already? great...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That's great, every project we do like new Hospital, Broadband, Roads etc money always seems to be a problem.

Great news we will not have to our debt as i think it is 90billion the last thing cost us. Have we paid that off already? great...

In relation to the measures put in place for covid-19 we have not borrowed any money yet

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Spain had an evaluation carried out by Deloitte recently. It advised that the 2020 tourist season can be more or less written off, and no non essential travel should be allowed to Nov/Dec. It will take Spain years to recover from this, tourism is about 22% of their GDP.

• Advertisement

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Spain had an evaluation carried out by Deloitte recently. It advised that the 2020 tourist season can be more or less written off, and no non essential travel should be allowed to Nov/Dec. It will take Spain years to recover from this, tourism is about 22% of their GDP.

I read about a year ago that Spain youth unemployment rate is something like 25% and that was well before Covid 19.
    Governments will not be able to stay in lockdown indefinately as we have all become so interconnected financially.

wazzer1 wrote: »

Read that myself, & just to add the report refers to Spain as a whole, including the Canary & Balearic islands, but there was a separate reference to the islands having tourism as closer to 45/50% of their GDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Read that myself, & just to add the report refers to Spain as a whole, including the Canary & Balearic islands, but there was a separate reference to the islands having tourism as closer to 45/50% of their GDP.

Would you happen to have a link to the report? I would like to have a read of it myself

It's about 200 billion. We havent paid it off, we'd be crazy to the money is basically free at this point. We will just roll it over and and leave inflation eat away at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

cooperguy wrote: »
    It's about 200 billion. We havent paid it off, we'd be crazy to the money is basically free at this point. We will just roll it over and and leave inflation eat away at it.

I'm totally in favour now of borrowing as much money as the foolish gamblers will keep lending, pour it into infrasstructure. We should load up on up to €1tn in debt. Then once we have built the economy to strenght, bailout, leave the EU and launch a gold-pegged Punt. The whole idea of the EU and Euro was a national disgrace to begin with it as is unfettered free trade. Tariffs, protectionism and Nationalism will only go from strength to strenght now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement