Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I’m hoping the greens will get authority for a significant tariff on all flights originating in Ireland once this circus gets going again
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why?

Because he's a genius who thinks we should close the airports. On an island! And travel in solar powered ships.

I'm not sure whether that's to reduce emissions or to keep the foreigners out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Because he's a genius who thinks we should close the airports. On an island! And travel in solar powered ships.

I'm not sure whether that's to reduce emissions or to keep the foreigners out.

Don’t want to close the airports just want significantly less air travel.

green tariffs on all flight tickets and also taxes on individual carriers and airport operators can be used to fund environmentally progressive projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

I am booked to go to Orlando June 1st. Just got a mail from Aer lingus stating thay are waiving change fees for travel up to July 31st.

Looks like travel has been restricted further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I see Swiss air and Lufthansa will be requiring face masks on board from May 4th and at airports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry now, but if things get up and running again re air travel, I will wait and see what happens.

Can't see it re emerging in the way it was before to any great extent, but that's just me and my preferences. I am sure there are plenty of people who are not in the least bit concerned, fair enough. But what about a potential 14 day quarantine on arrival, and similar on return?

I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Irishder wrote: »
    I am booked to go to Orlando June 1st. Just got a mail from Aer lingus stating thay are waiving change fees for travel up to July 31st.

Looks like travel has been restricted further.

Your issue there is probably the ban on non US citizens entering the States being extended rather than anything in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are Aer Lingus still operating some flights? I was due to fly back from Amsterdam with them this coming Tuesday, I was waiting for a cancellation notice, but I got an email today informing me that my booking has been changed to a flight on Monday morning. I've requested a refund as the change is more than 2 hours, but I'm surprised that my booking was moved to another flight.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Are Aer Lingus still operating some flights? I was due to fly back from Amsterdam with them this coming Tuesday, I was waiting for a cancellation notice, but I got an email today informing me that my booking has been changed to a flight on Monday morning. I've requested a refund as the change is more than 2 hours, but I'm surprised that my booking was moved to another flight.

Think you still have near daily flights to Amsterdam and London alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Don’t want to close the airports just want significantly less air travel.

green tariffs on all flight tickets and also taxes on individual carriers and airport operators can be used to fund environmentally progressive projects.

You didn’t answer his question. He asked why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect what happened here is Aer lingus put the passengers on one plane.
    Obviously there was more booked on the Monday flight so less people to change.
    You should file a 261 claim as your entitled to get more than a refund.
    Whether this Covid has changed things but that's the way it was.
    You will find the form on their website...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Varadkar was quizzed on the refund issue with Ryanair today and went to to say that he would like to see "Ryanair and Aer Lingus back in operation sometime in the summer, sometime in August"

I guess that can be used as an expectation

faceman wrote: »
    Varadkar was quizzed on the refund issue with Ryanair today and went to to say that he would like to see "Ryanair and Aer Lingus back in operation sometime in the summer, sometime in August"

I guess that can be used as an expectation

Hoping September or October then as times I can travel properly again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

titan18 wrote: »
    Hoping September or October then as times I can travel properly again

Will be that at the earliest i think, some places overseas will take a while to get up and running again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

i didn’t see much about when we can fly out.
    Govt probably needs to talk to Aer Lingus and Ryan Air first.
    Probably depends where we want to go.
    Can’t imagine America is very safe to visit and then you have to isolate for a fortnight when you get back. Get back from anywhere actually, and strict isolation too.
    Will anyone be flying unless absolutely urgent until the 2 week isolation stops being obligatory?

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Will anyone be flying unless absolutely urgent until the 2 week isolation stops being obligatory?

Can't see there being much demand, even with cheap seats until that stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

It is surfaces on planes that are the issue.

Can't see there being much demand, even with cheap seats until that stops.

Ryanair run about 20 flights a week in summer to Malaga which is likely their busiest European route.
    I expect they will tweak according to the numbers travelling.

I expect that the people who will start travelling will be people who are renting privately or have apartments of their own.
    The Airlines will want to keep the routes alive and gradually build confidence again.
    It will take time and 2020 will be about keeping Airline industry alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I haven't seen my boyfriend (US citizen) since Christmas and we are basically trying to figure out when is the soonest he can fly over here... I can't seem to find any concrete information, can anybody here help me? All I know is that everyday there are arrivals from JFK and Boston landing in Dublin airport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Potentially looking to visit a friend in Amsterdam around October/November depending on the isolation being dropped. Otherwise it will be summer 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

rorrissey wrote: »
    I haven't seen my boyfriend (US citizen) since Christmas and we are basically trying to figure out when is the soonest he can fly over here... I can't seem to find any concrete information, can anybody here help me? All I know is that everyday there are arrivals from JFK and Boston landing in Dublin airport...

Maybe they are empty.
    If he came to visit, would he be prepared toisolate for two weeks. If so, I don’t expect it’s a problem.

Would the airline itself not give information? Have you or he tried them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

rorrissey wrote: »

I'm in a similar situation. As far as I can tell, he might be able to book a flight, and assuming they're not stopping particular nationalities exiting, he might even be able to fly here.

Only problem is that he'd not be covered in any way, so if anything happened while he was here, you could be looking at a huge medical bill, or even being repatriated, again possibly at huge personal cost.

This is while his country has a do not travel notice for Ireland. I'm not sure about the US but Canada for example have government guidelines not to travel anywhere. Until those guidelines relax, travel insurance or medical cover is impossible.

I'm guessing maybe July or August they start relaxing those.

Here’s the answer to the question straight from Harris. No foreign travel in 2020.

https://jrnl.ie/5090235

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Here’s the answer to the question straight from Harris. No foreign travel in 2020.

Looks like the travel advisory will be for the rest of the year and looking to Bring in mandatory two weeks isolation for all entering the country by legislation.
    No foreign holidays till the end of year only emergency travel

So what happens when people fly to ireland from other countries who have lifted restrictions ? The flights return to where they came from empty ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They making lots of plans when this thing is only 5-6 weeks old.

They are not fortune tellers.

They should begin to keep quiet about things they don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So what happens when people fly to ireland from other countries who have lifted restrictions ? The flights return to where they came from empty ?

As Simon Harris stated you're 2 weeks holiday could turn into a 4 week holiday.
    If you were to travel.
    People will travel , more in line with the EU statement that flight travel would be aloud for family members to visit and family reasons.
    It would be easier then as people would quarantine with family

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Once again you're totally jumping the gun.

He said it's unlikely. He then said it's okay if followed by 2 weeks quarantine.

Their lobbying for people to take vouchers for travel makes no sense when those vouchers are 1 year and they anticipate not travel for most of that period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I'm in a similar situation. As far as I can tell, he might be able to book a flight, and assuming they're not stopping particular nationalities exiting, he might even be able to fly here.

Only problem is that he'd not be covered in any way, so if anything happened while he was here, you could be looking at a huge medical bill, or even being repatriated, again possibly at huge personal cost.

This is while his country has a do not travel notice for Ireland. I'm not sure about the US but Canada for example have government guidelines not to travel anywhere. Until those guidelines relax, travel insurance or medical cover is impossible.

I'm guessing maybe July or August they start relaxing those.

Ive a friend who flew into Belfast and then traveled to Dublin a few weeks ago. That might still be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Harris can fuxk off with this we haven’t even got to day 1 of their latest crap and he’s out with this ****e.

Why is the sale of Airline seats not suspended.
    If you go online now seats can be bought for later this Month.
    What's going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Harris can fuxk off with this we haven’t even got to day 1 of their latest crap and he’s out with this ****e.

100% agree. Harris is a big mouthed idiot. At least Leo is more circumspect. Coming out with such an announcement when morale is already at all time low is stupidity of the highest order. The fact is that we don't know how this will pan out but jesus leave us our hope.:mad: For many people in Ireland and for many reasons, foreign travel is a lifeline.

Why is the sale of Airline seats not suspended.
    If you go online now seats can be bought for later this Month.
    What's going on...

You can buy for tomorrow...

You can fly whenever you want in theory. But n you reach your destination you have 14 days quarantine and another 14 days quatantin when you get back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Gael23 wrote: »
    You can fly whenever you want in theory. But n you reach your destination you have 14 days quarantine and another 14 days quatantin when you get back to Ireland.

You can't fly anywhere you want, the world is in lockdown

• Advertisement

Is anybody looking forward to holidays again in 2021 or are we taking foreign travel off the tBle for the foreseeable future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Is anybody looking forward to holidays again in 2021 or are we taking foreign travel off the tBle for the foreseeable future?

Will take more than a year to recover financially enough to afford travel for me, so ... At best I'm looking at 2022 (and shur at that point I may as well hold off for another year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd imagine there will be some great deals as airlines look to fill planes and tourist destinations try to recover from the lost year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd imagine there will be some great deals as airlines look to fill planes and tourist destinations try to recover from the lost year.

That’s for sure. For me it really depends on social distancing requirements and if the requirement for 14 day quarantine is lifted. There’s no point in going to a tourist area and stuck in endless queues caused by social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

That’s for sure. For me it really depends on social distancing requirements and if the requirement for 14 day quarantine is lifted. There’s no point in going to a tourist area and stuck in endless queues caused by social distancing

I’m still holding out hope of making Tenerife in October.. we lost out on holiday middle of may so have a feeling October will be ok ..

• Advertisement

I expect the days of the shoebox holiday apartment and the industry will have to up their game.
    I would not go to one of them places now for free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I'm looking forward to travelling next summer. Hoping to get refunds from Ryanair and aerlingus and put it towards a big longhaul holiday in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sticking to Ireland and avoiding pools it'll be the Atlantic only. Might try home exchange have heard good reports from friends, definitely avoiding resorts. https://www.homeexchange.com

Sticking to Ireland and avoiding pools it'll be the Atlantic only. Might try home exchange have heard good reports from friends, definitely avoiding resorts. https://www.homeexchange.com

I think platforms like that and Airbnb are dead

I think platforms like that and Airbnb are dead

Airbnb will be busy for domestic holidays once the travel restrictions are lifted, best of luck renting a holiday home this year.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You can't fly anywhere you want, the world is in lockdown

You likely cannot fly anywhere you want but there are alot of plans in the sky according to flight radar as i was just looking at.
    There are very few over Spain and Italy.
    I wonder who is on them as i thought there be fewer. they are commercial Qatar, KLM and others i seen two of our own, one from each...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Airbnb will be busy for domestic holidays once the travel restrictions are lifted, best of luck renting a holiday home this year.

I’m not so sure about that. Hotels will be keen to demonstrate how clean they are when they re-open, with staff constantly cleaning and disinfecting. People will be much more suspicious about how clean self catering accommodation is. I still don’t think the majority of people will be in a hurry to holiday even domestically this year.

Can't see hotels being open, it's like a static cruise ship and we all know what happened there.
    People will be mad to get away, watch Dublin when they lift the distance ban.

Once again you're totally jumping the gun.

He said it's unlikely. He then said it's okay if followed by 2 weeks quarantine.

Making travel unwieldy is worse than suspending travel. For people with travel booked and now unable to travel due to the quarantine may not get refunded by airlines who could argue that they’re still flying

Also get real. You going to take your holidays as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Warren Buffet has sold ALL his shares in the four big US carriers (held about 10% of each), reckons there is a long and very expensive road ahead for the business with potential for a lot of cash down the sink.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement