Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Released birds

• 27-03-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity(& boredom) I'm asking this. Does anyone actually get see released pheasants or duck with young? either from adult birds or poults (probably the next year)
    I see more and more just cocks being released online and club members seem to just want cocks as all I hear is sure you're just feeding the foxes.
    The same with duck as I hear sure there's no point releasing them as they won't leave the area and they don't give sporting shots etc.
    I'm just wondering as my theory is if you release 10 hens and one raises a clutch then you're winning same with duck.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭LONG DRAG

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just out of curiosity(& boredom) I'm asking this. Does anyone actually get see released pheasants or duck with young? either from adult birds or poults (probably the next year)
    I see more and more just cocks being released online and club members seem to just want cocks as all I hear is sure you're just feeding the foxes.
    The same with duck as I hear sure there's no point releasing them as they won't leave the area and they don't give sporting shots etc.
    I'm just wondering as my theory is if you release 10 hens and one raises a clutch then you're winning same with duck.

Cheers

It's my belief, that there will be no Birds release this season, hope I wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dto001

We've released approximately 50 adult Pheasants mainly hens. we're hope to get duck but who knows this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Far from the easiest option, but hatching chicks under bantams gives the best chance for reared birds to breed. I think buying in hen' s to be a waste of time. JMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dto001

Eddie B wrote: »
    Far from the easiest option, but hatching chicks under bantams gives the best chance for reared birds to breed. I think buying in hen' s to be a waste of time. JMHO

Just out of curiosity whats the basis of this? is there any evidence either way or is it just your opinion?
    (I don't mean to sound bad just curious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

dto001 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity whats the basis of this? is there any evidence either way or is it just your opinion?
    (I don't mean to sound bad just curious)

We'll as I said at the end of my post, it is just my opinion. Now there may be some evidence of this, but I can't be bothered to research it right now. BUT, I have seen the results if this method of hatching and rearing birds, and the resulting birds do seem to be better breeders. Better birds all round actually.

I suppose you got to ask yourself, why do reared birds fail so badly when it comes to hatching, and raising young. Also, maybe look at how things are done in places like Boora, and see how they can produce good breeding stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Vermin control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

Yes have had released pheasants breed. Lads say they wont but some definitely do breed. Have heard those hatched out under hens have a better breeding rate as they get more of their motherly instincts that way, its possible I guess. If you get poults through your club they cost very little so I cant see why more lads don't release

Advertisement