Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ezcema in 2:year old

• 27-03-2020 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Finally got to dermatologist so some change in regime. We continue with hydrocorisol have the addition of protopic ( wowsers that's expensive! ) And an alternative moisturizer. All good. Except 2 things.
    I'm confused by the handwritten schedule and I've tried to contact to clarify without any joy. Does anyone use it on their kid? He basically said once the flare up improves, to add protopic initially Mon, Wed, Fri and then "possibly Mondays". So, after the possible Monday do I finish it or keep applying once/week? Thought the days of the week odd but assuming it's another way of saying every second day and then once/ week.

Second query. I forgot to mention that she also scratches her head. Does anyone have experience of a good product for ezcema on the scalp for a toddler? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hope your little one is ok, have to say it is something that is just so not nice, and horrible for a baby child.. Have you tried any of the moo goo products? As a more everyday alternative, for the head also the shampoo that they do is very good and the scalp cream...It doesnt smell the nicest (scalp cream) but it works wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hope your little one is ok, have to say it is something that is just so not nice, and horrible for a baby child.. Have you tried any of the moo goo products? As a more everyday alternative, for the head also the shampoo that they do is very good and the scalp cream...It doesnt smell the nicest (scalp cream) but it works wonders

Thanks. No, I went to the chemist who recommended bioderm shampoo or elave. We'd been using Elave for ages. The dry scalp is a new thing. So will see how the bio deem goes first. My older boy had ezcema too but he grew out of it so I've by habit, been using soap free products for both kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah great you got sorted then, hope it relieves the itchy scalp for him now...I just slathered my own scalp in coconut oil and tea tree for a day and it actually seemed to work with the itchiness going to try to do it every week now.. best of luck wit all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I would also recommend Moogoo. Main thing is to ensure everything you use is paraben and sulfate free. So there's no point in using a good moisturiser if for example you're using a shampoo or bubble bath that will cause irritation.

It's also worth looking at the washing detergent you use. Some people swear by non-bio, others find that leaving out fabric conditioner makes a huge difference ... only way to find out what works for you is trial and error. Also, I'd advise always washing new clothes when you buy them, some can have chemicals on them from the factory.

And it's worth researching dietary recommendations, and considering cutting out some of the main foods known to irritate the skin. Rather than cutting them all out at once, I'd suggest cutting them one at a time for about 2 weeks and see if you notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

We’ve been using the protopic since after Christmas
    Was well worth the price (after my initial concerns 🙈)
    We used it every day I think for about 2 weeks and then reduced it down and now I only use it if I notice a few red marks appearing anywhere
    Every second or third night now we just use the elave intensive moisturiser - depending on how her skin is feeling
    Had tried a lot for 4/5 weeks and was just getting worse so the protopic has been a life saver - and stretches a lot
    My GP also made sure to tell us to only use it at night - as it is light sensitive so shouldn’t be used when going outside etc
    My little one is 2 in June - just for comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Protopic works great.

Out of interest, what was prescribed?

Was it the 0.03% or the 0.1%

The 0.03% one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I know this may not help a huge amount right now with everything going on, but if you end up still struggling.
    Myself & another family member suffered when we were children with eczema. We were brought to a certain herbalist in Meath. 1 month later gone and still not returned. Reason I mention this is family member now has a young family have the same issue and again same cure.

I'm not usually an alternative medicine kinda person, but for this specific ailment I cant recomend the above enough.

I would also recommend Moogoo. Main thing is to ensure everything you use is paraben and sulfate free. So there's no point in using a good moisturiser if for example you're using a shampoo or bubble bath that will cause irritation.

It's also worth looking at the washing detergent you use. Some people swear by non-bio, others find that leaving out fabric conditioner makes a huge difference ... only way to find out what works for you is trial and error. Also, I'd advise always washing new clothes when you buy them, some can have chemicals on them from the factory.

And it's worth researching dietary recommendations, and considering cutting out some of the main foods known to irritate the skin. Rather than cutting them all out at once, I'd suggest cutting them one at a time for about 2 weeks and see if you notice a difference.

It's so interesting about detergent. I was always led to believe the brand was significant. Consultant poo pooed concern and just recommended a non bio.

She's been pretty good lately but I noticed more scratching since last night.. I wonder if it's due to sun cream on yesterday. Any advice about same?

wandererz wrote: »
    Protopic works great.

Out of interest, what was prescribed?

Was it the 0.03% or the 0.1%

• Advertisement

We’ve been using the protopic since after Christmas
    Was well worth the price (after my initial concerns 🙈)
    We used it every day I think for about 2 weeks and then reduced it down and now I only use it if I notice a few red marks appearing anywhere
    Every second or third night now we just use the elave intensive moisturiser - depending on how her skin is feeling
    Had tried a lot for 4/5 weeks and was just getting worse so the protopic has been a life saver - and stretches a lot
    My GP also made sure to tell us to only use it at night - as it is light sensitive so shouldn’t be used when going outside etc
    My little one is 2 in June - just for comparison

Wasn't given the apply at night advice and I had been applying either in the Morning bit evening. I have just been applying protopic once a week. If I see a flare up I got back to hydrocortisol til cleared and then a top up with protopic. Kinda winging it as the written advice didn't really make sense on an ongoing basis. However we did get a 6 months prescription so guessing he's recommending it as an ongoing thing.

73trix wrote: »
    Wasn't given the apply at night advice and I had been applying either in the Morning bit evening. I have just been applying protopic once a week. If I see a flare up I got back to hydrocortisol til cleared and then a top up with protopic. Kinda winging it as the written advice didn't really make sense on an ongoing basis. However we did get a 6 months prescription so guessing he's recommending it as an ongoing thing.

Winging it a bit here now to be honest too! Back doing the same using the hydrocortisol unless it really flares!

Also my GP recommended no persil non bio, fabric softener or anything similar , only Cotten beside the skin etc
    Have def noticed a diff with no polyester.
    He’s pretty old school and hasn’t steered me wrong since I was a child so I’m working on his advice for now!

Advertisement