Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movistar Netflix Documentary

Options
  • 27-03-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Now available, 6 episodes 20 mins each.

What do you think of it!

Comments

I did not know it existed !!! Something to watch over the weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

:rolleyes:
    Raymzor wrote: »
    Now available, 6 episodes 20 mins each.

What do you think of it!

I read this somewhere. Couldn’t believe it would be true. Ah brilliant . Was liking the quick step wolf pack stuff (the cannondale rapha stuff was pretty pretentious as to be expected bar the Flanders episode ) all on YouTube

Great, going to get dug into this .hopefully is shows full on the rows between the three star men. Quintainia,for a small guy is suppose to have a big booming voice

Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for posting about this. Didn't know if existed. Something to watch while stuck inside

Just finished it . It is excellent. Top quality production too. Won’t spoil it for anyone but I can now see why Valverde is liked by many most of the time. I assume if Ye had watched the **** show that was movistar TDF, a certain star doesn’t come out very well in it - no shock

Lord , you can’t trust anyone in that sport (loyalty I mean) no wonder riders are highly strung and starving half the time . A lot of stress and that’s just the politics of teams - again, not a spoiler ,we know about their and Sky’s 2-3 stars in one team in one race for years

Great piece. Will get a lot of people talking . Pretty warts and all which I doubt you’d have got from Brailsford Team Sky - though G’s BBC documentary of last years tour was very good

Seems the Spanish media in general are unbearable, everyone is an expert, even in cycling ,as bad as the football media in Spain. Kinda makes me glad bbc are so bland and inoffensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Just finished episode 2. Looking forward to the rest of it now. 2 very good episodes so far

End credits song is class :-)
    'Go Solo' by Tom Rosenthal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Binged it last night. Very watchable. At first I thought it'd just be a big Canyon / Movistar advert and group hug, but the protagonists don't hold back.

Jeez yer man, one of the DS's is fierce matter-of-fact and unforgiving altogether, forget his name, but you'll know when you hear him speak!

Great to hear Declan Quigley's snippets on it as well from the Giro.

It reminds me out South Park at times, it’s all about having balls. You have balls, shows some balls . Lol. Ah “toxic masculinity” isn’t it great .grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It reminds me out South Park at times, it’s all about having balls. You have balls, shows some balls . Lol. Ah “toxic masculinity” isn’t it great .grrrrr

It is sure is, Randy. It really, really is.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Copied from my post in the Netflix Recommendations Thread.

Started into The Least Expected Day earlier today and looks great. Overcoming was the best cycling documentary I'd seen and this seems just as good. Wonder will we look back in a few years at the principle stars like we do now about Basso, Zabriskie etc. We always say not this generation and every time the fans have been let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Just finished this. Binge watched it today!!

It's a fabulous documentary.

There's no holding back in any of the interviews and it provides a really refreshingly honest account of life within the team during the 3 GT's.

Some of the scenes from within the team car are brilliant.

You also get a massive appreciation for the tension caused by having more than one leader. Cold. Ouch.

And the sacrifices that some riders have to make during a race at the drop of a hat. It must be heartbreaking at times for them. You see it all the time on Eurosport when watching the racing but this really delves into the minds and thoughts of the riders and how DS decisions affect them.

Brilliant documentary that I'll be watching again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Lastras was the DS. he just says things like he doesn't listen, he doesn't do what he is told.

Tells one of the riders next time I tell you to do it, do it.

Valverde just seems to always say, feck it lads sure we will give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good show, couldn't get over how defeatist Landa seems, he seems to lack confidence at times, probably not helped by the situation as it was left to fester. I can see Valverde heading for management anyway, he seemed to talk nearly as much as the team directors.

I've watched four episodes so far and the insight into the team is brilliant. I'm amazed that some of the controversial bits weren't edited out.

The production quality is excellent, except for the subtitles which I believe are a bit sketchy at times.

Mikel Lands seems like a nice guy, but lacks that killer instinct. Whereas the impression I get of Carapaz is that he wouldn't think twice about killing his granny to win a race :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I liked it. The first episode is very messy, like a preview episode. I think it could have been longer but maybe they were only allowed a certain amount of access.

One thing that I really learned was how much the team car does be shouting into the microphone for the riders earpiece. They must be driven insane.

Landa seems a very flaky guy, he needs a lot of TLC I reckon. Deffo needs to be a sole leader, but has he got the ability for that role?

How many times did he say I felt like jacking it in ?

Wasn't much of a celebration at the dinner table when Quintana won a stage was there?

One thing that I really learned was how much the team car does be shouting into the microphone for the riders earpiece. They must be driven insane.

vamos! vamos! vamos! vamos!

I'm not surprised riders take out their earpiece

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It really highlighted how shyte their '3 team leaders' strategy is, is doesn't really seem to work for anyone except in exceptional circumstances. It can't be conducive to team spirit, team work and general cohesion. They're set up as a team of individuals rather than a team (it must be horrible for the domestiques too, the scene where one congratulates a team leader for winning a stage, and they're the only one happy for that team leader - makes for a bad atmosphere.). Makes for an awful waste imo. But then again they're a multi-million Euro grand tour winning team so what do I know :pac:

I was sad there was no coverage of the women's team :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I liked Acosta the best ..(boy does he swear). UNzue also a good guy and quite laid back for a team owner.maybe why Movistar not as focused and successful as SKY/Ineos
    Lastras is very very tough

As for the team leaders ..what struck me most is how charming and unflinching Carapaz is with a killer instinct..Movistar should have bent over backwards to keep him ..Cant see him being happy to be on the train at INEOS
    Its funny he reminded me of a young Stephen Roche

On the other hand Landa who is a great climber has defeat etched into his DNA..its almost like he looking for something to go wrong so he can say ...'well there you have it ..I told you I am cursed' ..cant see him wining a GT

Valverde is alright ...a bit too coy ..has alot of confidence as you would expect

Quintana was the one I found the most interesting . You could see he so wanted to win and do the right thing and listened to DS , etc . But he was unable to communicate esp at times of 'weakness'. Unable to ask for help or join in the team dynamics. I felt for him when his team mates were having a go about him..some very loudly
    He was almost afraid to join them when he won his stage ...

Just goes to show cycling leaders are not all about the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

I really enjoyed it and would watch it again. Agree with what MPFGLB said. Quintana almost an outsider on the team despite being there since 2013(?) - lacks the ability to join in with the team.

I was very impressed by Carapaz. Impressive team leader and very likeable. Great insights into his background and family in Ecuador. He clearly should have been the heir to the throne with Quintana and Landa leaving and Valverde coming to the end of his career. Disappointing that he left.

Quintana was a new man at the start of this season, change in him was unreal. Even taking away the wins he looked so good on the bike, like he hasn't done for maybe 3 or 4 years.

I do feel sorry for Landa, he's had a some rotten luck in the last few years. I think it stared at San Sebastian and that put him out for the rest of the season, back the following year and did his collar bone in I think his first race back. This year he was hit by a car/van out training and was racing with a rib injury that wasn't 100% healed. Remember how good he looked in 2017 at the Tour nearly dropping Froome and having to easy up for him?

• Advertisement

Just finished watching episode 5.
    I felt so sorry for Quintana when he arrives at the dinner table after winning the stage at the TDF. The rest of the team didn't really care.

And as for Pablo Lastras... I think I'm going to have nightmares about him tonight.. fcuk me he is scary :eek:

Just finished watching episode 5.
    I felt so sorry for Quintana when he arrives at the dinner table after winning the stage at the TDF. The rest of the team didn't really care

Yeah it was fairly tough on him though it looked as if they were pissed at him for what happened the previous day. I'd like to see him and Landa prosper at their new teams but a GT victory is unlikely with their TT skills.

Landa is like a modern day Luis Ocana, without the wins.

Can't see Carapaz being at Ineos too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

red_ken wrote: »
    Can't see Carapaz being at Ineos too long.

I was trying to work that one out. My impression was that he didn't want to stay at Movistar because he didn't think he'd get a chance to be leader. Is he moving to Ineos because he think he'll be leader there, or because at least he'll get paid a fortune not to be leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

buffalo wrote: »
    I was trying to work that one out. My impression was that he didn't want to stay at Movistar because he didn't think he'd get a chance to be leader. Is he moving to Ineos because he think he'll be leader there, or because at least he'll get paid a fortune not to be leader?
    I wonder has he been promised something like one GT a season with full support? He's probably fourth in line for TdF but depending on Froome's recovery, you could imagine at least two of the others focusing on TdF

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Only up to episode 4 but Valverde doesnt come across as much of prick as i thought he was

Finished it this evening. It was great. I'd recommend it to any cycling fan or even sports fan. Great insight.

I would have loved if it was longer. They could have easily have had more episodes or show more race footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

MPFGLB wrote: »

Just goes to show cycling leaders are not all about the legs

This has to be on the money. In fact I would say there is a lot more to being a pro cyclist than good legs, great numbers. I see guys who are in the world tour for years with very few results & you seldom see them doing huge "donkey" work on the front. They have to be on salaries >€100,00/year
    What do they bring to the team or how do they keep getting contracts? Is so much more to it than just legs.
    Guys who seldom get sick/injured, who are great off the bike, are great team mates, create a good atmosphere for the whole team.
    You can imagine some guys have massive egos, complain about every hotel, every meal. hassle the team mechanic 5mins before the flag drops that he wants to change the rear cassette. These guys are just hard to live with for 3 weeks on a grand tour or even for a 1 day race.

You`ll put up with an a$$hole if take bring in amazing results, but for a domestique there is more to it than just fetching bottles

That Arrieta fella was Big Mig's favoured domestique I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished it this evening. Really enjoyed it. Like others have said, I can see myself going back and re watching that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished it. Great stuff, good access to the team although it could be a lot better. Longer episodes, more interviews etc.

Biggest surprise was seeing the cyclists driving the team cars after a stage. Valverde for example, driving down the mountain after busting a gut to get second that day.

Advertisement