Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movistar Netflix Documentary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's one about the Orica-Scott team on Prime that's very good, particularly if you're into food because it interweaves the chef's journey through the countryside looking for produce with the TdF stuff.
    Any idea of the name of it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Eat Race Win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

All For One any good?
    https://youtu.be/Y4JH0vRJvQE

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

dinneenp wrote: »
    Not to gate crash but whare are some recommended cycling documentaries, films etc. please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

You tube

1.ESPN 30 for 30 Slaying the Badger,. ITS ESPN ,it’s always good !
    Greg Lemon acting like a cry Baby, whinging that Hinault, a proud French man, 5 time winner, might or might not help him win the tour . Great stuff, surprised how people like Greg with his whinging - the dude is a legend and has been crapped on in life ie near death, abuse as a kid, booze issue and Lance ..so ...

2. You tube , Not documentary per se but, the much er loved ,Cannondale did some videos last year with Ralpa ,so naturally they are pretentious as hell ,but the episode where their Italian rider won Flanders is good

3. A long one, but quite interesting , YouTube , Tour of Flanders People did hour long films for several recent editions of of the race . basically the camera in all the team cars, and show the media working and motor bikes and the atmosphere in the crowd. Rather interesting . The lads in the cars are pretty candid in their comments lol. The lads from Lotto and the lads from Quick Step are good. It’s in English subtitles though, worth passing the time

4. Hard to find on YouTube, but RTE and Paul Kimmage documentary covering the 2013 TDF and his story is very good, certainly not boring

5. Gerraint Thomas also did a documentary with bbc for last years TDF, it’s okay, he’s a bit bland ,how he won bbc spoty not sure as he didn’t have much of a profile with mainstream Britain Unlike Hoye, Wiggins and Cavendish , despite the Olympic medals - it’s passable

6. A Sunday in Hell, Paris Roubaix ,grainy footage . There is also YouTube clips from America tv covering the Paris Roubaix that Seán Kelly won

7 . Not a big fan of him ,but woes me DAVID Miller has an artsy documentary called Time Trial

8. I think Netflix still has a documentary on Pantani !!! and one on Gino Bartelli ,Italian who saved Jew during WW2 ,a pro rider

9. There is always loads of Lance Armstrong documentaries on YouTube too . Comment section alone is worth the craic

Have you seen the film with Chris O’Dowd ? Based on seven deadly sins. Called The Programme . The guys who play Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis are brilliant in it -It’s not the greatest film in the world but it takes a good stab at the kind of man the creators think Lance is. They try to be fair too, they don’t paint him as a one dimensional monster . They deal with the cancer sensitively

10. surprisingly funny, but maybe not for the precious to hate the way the junkies haves ruined the sport and having the biggest dope heads, the yanks, poke fun at it . it’s a comedy film called Tour de Pharmacy . It is funny . Lance the little bollox has a cameo ,poking fun at himself (not funny that he got paid for it )

11. Save the best for last, - Netflix. This one is an amazing documentary, re state doping in Russian centring around a Russian whistleblower , I think it won an Oscar. It’s called Icarus

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

You tube

1.ESPN 30 for 30 Slaying the Badger,. ITS EPSN ,it’s always good !
    Greg Lemon acting like a cry Baby, whinging that Hinault, a proud French man, 5 time winner, might or might not help him when the tour . Great stuff, surprised how people like Greg with his whinging - the dude is a legend and has been crapped on in life ie near death, abuse as a kid, booze issue and Lance ..so ...

2. You tube , Not documentary per se but, the much er loved ,Cannondale did some videos last year with Ralpa ,so naturally they are pretentious as hell ,but the episode where their Italian rider winning Flanders is good

3. A long one, but quite interesting , YouTube , Tour of Flanders People did hour long films for several recent editions of of the race . basically the camera in all the team cars, and show the media working and motor bikes and the atmosphere in the crowd. Rather interesting . The lads in the cars are pretty candid in their comments lol. The lads from Lotto and the lads from Quick Step are good. It’s in English translation though, worth passing the time

4. Hard to find on YouTube, but RTE and Paul Kimmage documentary covering the 2013 TDF and his story is very good, certainly not boring

5. Gerraint Thomas also did a documentary with bbc for last years TDF, it’s okay, he’s a bit bland ,how he won bbc spoty not sure as he didn’t have much of a profile with mainstream Britain Unlike Hoye, Wiggins and Cavendish , despite the Olympic medals - it’s passable

6. A Sunday in Hell, Paris Roubaix ,grainy footage . There is also YouTube clips from America tv covering the Paris Roubaix that Seán Kelly won

7 . Not a big fan of him ,but woes me DAVID Miller has an artsy documentary called Time Trial

8. I think Netflix still has a documentary on Pantani !!! and one on Gino Bartelli ,Italian who saved Jew during WW2 ,a pro rider

9. There is always loads of Lance Armstrong documentaries on YouTube too . Comment section alone is worth the craic

Have you seen the film with Chris O’Dowd ? Based on seven deadly sins. Called The Programme . The guys who play Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis are brilliant in it -It’s not the greatest film in the world but it takes a good stab at the kind of man the creators think Lance is. They try to be fair too, they don’t paint him as a one dimensional monster . They deal with the cancer sensitively

10. surprisingly funny, but maybe not for the precious to hate the way the junkies haves ruined the sport and having the biggest dope heads, the yanks, poke fun at it . it’s a comedy film called Tour de Pharmacy . It is funny . Lance the little bollox has a cameo ,poking fun at himself (not funny that he got paid for it )

11. Save the best for last, - Netflix. This one is an amazing documentary, re state doping in Russian cantering around a Russian whistleblower , I think it won an Oscar. It’s called Icarus

Some great ones there. Just to add to the above:

There is a doc similar to the Movistar one, "Clean Spirit" following the Argos-Shimano team through the 2013 TDF. Was on Netflix a few years back.

"The making of an Hour Record" follows Rohan Dennis trying to break the hour record.

The Pantani one was on Netflix, not sure if it still is, "Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist".

Lance Armstrong doc "Stop at Nothing" on Netflix.

"Rough Rider" is the name of the Kimmage documentary, can be found on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You tube

1.ESPN 30 for 30 Slaying the Badger,. ITS EPSN ,it’s always good !
    Greg Lemon acting like a cry Baby, whinging that Hinault, a proud French man, 5 time winner, might or might not help him when the tour . Great stuff, surprised how people like Greg with his whinging - the dude is a legend and has been crapped on in life ie near death, abuse as a kid, booze issue and Lance ..so ...

2. You tube , Not documentary per se but, the much er loved ,Cannondale did some videos last year with Ralpa ,so naturally they are pretentious as hell ,but the episode where their Italian rider winning Flanders is good

3. A long one, but quite interesting , YouTube , Tour of Flanders People did hour long films for several recent editions of of the race . basically the camera in all the team cars, and show the media working and motor bikes and the atmosphere in the crowd. Rather interesting . The lads in the cars are pretty candid in their comments lol. The lads from Lotto and the lads from Quick Step are good. It’s in English translation though, worth passing the time

11. Save the best for last, - Netflix. This one is an amazing documentary, re state doping in Russian cantering around a Russian whistleblower , I think it won an Oscar. It’s called Icarus

Cheers for these. Have bookmarked some.
    meant to be loads of great ESPN 30 for 30 but can't subscribe or access them

currently reading the Pantani book so will avoid the doc atm

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Lads there's a few movies I've seen over the years:

Breaking Away - classic coming of age story, great movie focusing on the Little Indy 500 college bike race
    American Flyers - Kevin Costner in a stage race (cant remember much more than that, saw it years ago, big Russian beardy fella is the villain)
    Kevin Bacon in some movie about couriers - think its called Velocity or Speedway or Quickflash or something

As say, I haven't seen them in years so not sure how you would get them.

I had Breaking Away on video I think but sure it broke away from me, never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

"My italian secret the forgotten heroes" on YouTube about Gino Bartali.
    He was so much more than just a great champion - he was a bonafide hero. I have just finished reading his biography and in many ways he was a far more interesting character than Coppi who gets all the plaudits as the Campionissimo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a decent selection of cycling and cycling related docs/films on Amazon Prime Uk at the moment. One about the Schlecks in2011, a few about TransAM, RAAM, and other long distance stuff.
    lissard wrote: »
    "My italian secret the forgotten heroes" on YouTube about Gino Bartali.
    He was so much more than just a great champion - he was a bonafide hero. I have just finished reading his biography and in many ways he was a far more interesting character than Coppi who gets all the plaudits as the Campionissimo.

This is also on Amazon. They are both fascinating characters, but for completely different reasons. I've read both books, and think they're both excellent.

Here's the trailer for Quicksilver - looks ok to me (if just for the vintage steel bikes) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97DAMGQ3pk

But a word of warning - in 2008, Kevin Bacon called the film "the absolute lowest point of my career."

So, buyer or renter beware!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Here's the trailer for Quicksilver - looks ok to me (if just for the vintage steel bikes) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97DAMGQ3pk

But a word of warning - in 2008, Kevin Bacon called the film "the absolute lowest point of my career."

So, buyer or renter beware!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: I genuinely laughed out loud at that :D

I guess Bacon didn't do much of a winter that year.

Finnrocco wrote: »
    I guess Bacon didn't do much of a winter that year.

Take a bow! :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a second series of this now available to watch on netflix covering last season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Watched the first couple of episodes there. Yet again it's great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pretty good so far but it is subtitled. Looking at it 2020 was a mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

JJ Rojas is one hardy b'stard!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

The team directors giving out at the end that the lack of wins last year wasnt good enough. If the giro is anything to go by they started where they finished 2020, don't remember seeing them do anything at this years giro

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

just watched the first couple of episodes of season 2

they dont seem too pushed on sram or disc brakes
    plenty of sticky bottle going on too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nice one, I really enjoyed the original season so looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

wpd wrote: »
    plenty of sticky bottle going on too

It is comical, I am sure loads do it but they are on camera and getting annoyed at the judges for fining him is outright hilarious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also they can't take a nasal swab properly, just saying. Tester should have told him to f off or he was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Really enjoying the second series but you'd have to wonder whether Movistar are particularly dense or is a common trait to all top teams? Mas and Soler in particular seem to have no tactical nous. Valverde and Rojas should be better road captains but they're too busy acting the prima donna and schoolyard bully respectively.
    Lastras is great - like a Spanish Christoph Waltz. You can imagine him throwing non performing riders off a moving team bus.

I like how they're not afraid to expose their difficulties, but man it must be hard to ride in that team.

They're all so dramatic! They seem surprised, last minute about things, the new equipment, few mechanics, riders having ot apologise to them en masse as an example.

I wonder what kind of money they got for it ? Netflix have deep pockets but they usually won't renew unless it did the numbers viewer wise or it was reasonably cheap to make.

The riders look shockingly thin as well, I know pro cyclists are tiny but they look really unhealthy :( I guess they're mostly tiny climbers on that tour team. That clip of Rojas (was it?) standing on the scales and not a pick on him. I know they measure dehydration and all that, but yikes.

eeeee wrote: »
    The riders look shockingly thin as well, I know pro cyclists are tiny but they look really unhealthy :( I guess they're mostly tiny climbers on that tour team. That clip of Rojas (was it?) standing on the scales and not a pick on him. I know they measure dehydration and all that, but yikes.

I posted a video of a training camp Froome did in the general racing thread, and weight and water retention is something thats talked about, he was 71 and needed to be 68kg I think. I'm not a foodie despite loving cookery shows. I don't eat badly but food is not something I really think much about, but it's an eye opener the extent these guys think about it. I would think eating disorders are rampant in a lot of sports.

EDIT: Quick check , he's actually one of the taller and heavier GC lads, the likes of Landa and Quintan or Bernal are much lighter.

Definitely in weight dependant sports, there are a few article about it. Enric Mas was skeletal, and praising his weight loss for his 5th place. I want to give him a sandwich, a stew and a pound of butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

eeeee wrote: »

Rojas isn't the best example to use there :)
    He's 5 foot 10 and the scales said 68 point something kg
    That's a perfectly normal healthy weight!!!

But I do get your point. Mas looks very thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

When Mas (I think it was) was told to ride @ 5.8W / kg and he calculated what the power would be, he entered his weight as 60 kg..

Advertisement