Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder in home

Options
  • 27-03-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,

my partner is a childminder, she is due to return to work next week after a break.

She minds 2 kids in their own house but also brings our 2 kids to work. I'm just wondering what people think, should she return to work?

The guidelines say childminders in homes can continue yet the general guidelines regarding social distancing / not mixing contradict eachother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

what price fo you put on her and your childrens health? A couple of hundred a week?

Where is the employer now going that she needs s childminder? And have her kids been out olaying with others and in other peoples houses? And will the family she works for be meeting no-one and touching nothing when they go out? Over a thousand and growing cases of Kovid-19 here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

It really depends on who the other 2 kids and their family mix with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

what price fo you put on her and your childrens health? A couple of hundred a week?

Where is the employer now going that she needs s childminder? And have her kids been out olaying with others and in other peoples houses? And will the family she works for be meeting no-one and touching nothing when they go out? Over a thousand and growing cases of Kovid-19 here now.

The employer may be a nurse/guard/paramedic. They can't stay at home but still need child care.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

yes that's my feeling, not worth the risk but it's just that the official guidelines differ depending how you look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

The employer may be a nurse/guard/paramedic. They can't stay at home but still need child care.

employer does work in healthcare but not frontline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bans or protections on kids mixing is not really for the protection of the kids themselves. Kids generally have a pretty benign experience of CV19; a child would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to become seriously ill.

No, its for the protection of everyone else. Kids don't get very sick with CV19, but they do spread it very effectively, since they are - ahem - not naturally good with social distancing, either from other kids or from the adults in their own lives. So the problem is that Johnny goes to school while infectious and let's say six kids in his class are infected by him. That's 12 parents and maybe 24 grandparents who are now in intimate contact with an infectious individual. Not to mention siblings, who may then pass it to their classmates.

So, your wife takes her kids to someone else's home, where they mix with the kids that live there. Lets suppose your kids are not infectious, but they become infectious as a result of visiting this home.

Your wife is not at any greater danger; she is already exposed to the kids in the other home and presumably her caring duties involve her getting close to them so, whatever they have, she is quite likely to catch anyway.

You are possibly in slightly greater danger; instead of living intimately with one person who is in close contact with a source of infection, you are living intimately with three such people.

But, as long as your kids are otherwise socially isolated, are not visiting other kids, visiting grandparents or other family members, going out to play, etc, they are unlikely to pass the disease on to anyone apart from your wife and you. And if you two are behaving responsibly, the transmission should stop there.

And the parents of the two kids that your wife cares for might do the same calculation.

Bottom line; this is probably OK, provide both sets of kids, and everyone who lives in the two houses, is otherwise practicing social isolation. And provided no vulnerable person lives in either house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

employer does work in healthcare but not frontline

Support staff are badly needed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

I’m a secondary school teacher and my husband is a retail manager. My school have advised us that we are expected to interact with students online (zoom, etc.) at least twice a week per class. For me this amounts to about 7 hours of live online contact time. We’re also prepping work and correcting.

My husband works 60 hours a week and is obviously an essential worker (food retail).

We have a two year old. He doesn’t nap well during the day and it’s obviously impossible for me to do any online teaching when he’s here.

Given that we are in lockdown, can I still avail of childcare? My mum takes care of our son. She’s 51 and in very good health. She sometimes minds him here and sometimes takes him to her house. At the moment she obviously wouldn’t take him out anywhere at all and nor would I. My mum hasn’t left her home for two weeks (except to collect/drop off child to facilitate childcare), I haven’t left my home since school shut two weeks ago except to go to the supermarket (once). Can this childcare situation continue? Will I be allowed to drop him to her house?

Without some level of childcare I cannot do my job but I don’t want to take any unnecessary risks either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Welcome to the real world.

A lot of people have been doing this for two weeks. Don’t bring a child minder in.

godtabh wrote: »
    Welcome to the real world.

A lot of people have been doing this for two weeks. Don’t bring a child minder in.

Do you have any advice on teaching lessons live with a two year old present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

How long do you have to interact live online with the kids?

baldbear wrote: »
    How long do you have to interact live online with the kids?

Absolute minimum amounts to about 7 hours per week and it needs to take place during school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Amber 123 wrote: »
    Absolute minimum amounts to about 7 hours per week and it needs to take place during school hours.

Have you got Disney? 7 hours total will be tough if your husband isn't there to keep an eye.

Personally I wouldn't risk getting her to mind your kid but it's your choice. What if your husband then picked up something & went into his job in retail & came into contact with a vulnerable person?

I think you want someone to say it's grand let your mam go ahead but what if some one else's family member is affected?
    I just wouldn't chance it. We all are in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Many people have been doing this for two weeks. Please do not put her and her family at risk. If she insists, please say no, and don't put yours at risk either.

You'll get more creative. I appreciate it is extremely tough. Speak to your boss, team...we are in circumstances we have never been in before so we will need to look at all different options. But I'd ask you not to avail of her service at this time.

baldbear wrote: »
    Have you got Disney? 7 hours total will be tough if your husband isn't there to keep an eye.

Personally I wouldn't risk getting her to mind your kid but it's your choice. What if your husband then picked up something & went into his job in retail & came into contact with a vulnerable person?

I think you want someone to say it's grand let your mam go ahead but what if some one else's family member is affected?
    I just wouldn't chance it. We all are in this together.

We do have Disney but he’s two years old. He wouldn’t sit in front of a TV for more than five minutes. I also couldn’t leave him unattended, nor could I teach a class with children’s tv playing in the background. I appreciate you taking the time to response though and I understand your standpoint completely. It’s a tricky situation for sure.

Many people have been doing this for two weeks. Please do not put her and her family at risk. If she insists, please say no, and don't put yours at risk either.

You'll get more creative. I appreciate it is extremely tough. Speak to your boss, team...we are in circumstances we have never been in before so we will need to look at all different options. But I'd ask you not to avail of her service at this time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I feel very conflicted. If you have any ideas on how to get more creative or any ideas for different options I’d welcome them. I have no idea how to make it work without some level of childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Amber 123 wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I feel very conflicted. If you have any ideas on how to get more creative or any ideas for different options I’d welcome them. I have no idea how to make it work without some level of childcare.

I've a toddler (2 and 3months) who never napped and need to do live-online bits, but I'm also not a teacher tho so you might need better advice from those in the field!

I'm not a tv fan but in this day...snacks, tv, might help..can he she get stuck into something playful on the floor near you? (How old?let me know!). I know attention span is limited at that age too and there might have to be deeper discussions of expectations at school level.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement