Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

Why 2KM restriction I wonder? Why did they pick that number of kilometres...........its very short.
    My daughter and sister live in the UK and while they are apparently on a lockdown, they can exercise anywhere, no restrictions in terms of distance at all.
    She has discovered some lovely country bridlepaths and walkways and some forests, all socially distancing. I was walking in woods and quiet country lanes this week completely alone, meeting nobody, but I had to drive to get to them. They are all within 8km of where I live.

There is nothing within 2km of me except a very fast main road.

It’ll be easier to keep tabs on the little scrotes that are still hanging around in groups all over the place. The rest of us will just have to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

People are always free to use their own common sense in the small window of half a day to a day before the full list will be published. Anyone phoning a Garda station wondering whether they should go to work should have a look at themselves and cop on.

I'm assuming that senior health officials and qualified epidemiologists are in a far better position to judge what's needed than your average joe. Hardly unreasonable.

The international banking cartel is in the process of collapsing their global ponzi scheme and letting Joe public take it in the gut again. Handy cover story this virus, and a great excuse to set up the apparatus of a surveillance police state around us, because they care so much, lol. 2008 will seem like a teddy bears picnic when the reality of what is happening bites for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This thread is absolutely insane

Wash your hands. Stay at home as much as possible. Keep 2 metres from everyone when you *have* to go out

And stop asking for every single minute detail to be spelled out to you.

Is this list of essential businesses referring to consumer facing ones only or are they producing a full one covering all the layers of industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I totally agree with you. The only thing I'd say in defence of the government (I can't believe that I am defending FG) is that they were as prepared as any other country. They made mistakes but there is no blueprint for this. The US, the leaders of the free world didn't step in quickly enough. Our nearest neighbours made a complete cock up of their plans or lack of plans and had to do a complete U turn.

I'm anything but a FG fan and I see they have made plenty of mistakes on this but they aren't doing a bad job of it. It pains me to say that 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why 2KM restriction I wonder? Why did they pick that number of kilometres...........its very short.
    My daughter and sister live in the UK and while they are apparently on a lockdown, they can exercise anywhere, no restrictions in terms of distance at all.
    She has discovered some lovely country bridlepaths and walkways and some forests, all socially distancing. I was walking in woods and quiet country lanes this week completely alone, meeting nobody, but I had to drive to get to them. They are all within 8km of where I live.

Instead of asking why 2km, why do you feel the need to challenge it?

The idea is stay home, unless you need to do something, and if you need to do something, it has to be the closest option to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Why 2KM restriction I wonder?
    I guess they want people to stay in their localities - no day trips etc

2k seems reasonable enough - most people will have a park or some green space within 2k and most people wouldn't tend to walk more than 2k to visit a park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

km79 wrote: »
    Are solicitors closed ? Would have assumed they were an essential service but do not see them on the list?

The list is not published yet. The list you refer to is only in respect of retail.

Is this list of essential businesses referring to consumer facing ones only or are they producing a full one covering all the layers of industry?

I expect a full one covering all industries. Paddy has already shown himself completely incapable of using a bit of cop on so regrettably people need every little detail spelled out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Because of what happened in Glendalough or the beaches. People wer ehopping in cars and heading to popular spots. They are saying use a bit of sense, go for a stroll to maintain mental wellbeing but dont go on a drive or somewhere popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Dodge wrote: »
    This thread is absolutely insane

Wash your hands. Stay at home as much as possible. Keep 2 metres from everyone when you *have* to go out

And stop asking for every single minute detail to be spelled out to you.

Stop being pompous. People are genuinely concerned, that's why they are asking for detailed clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I expect a full one covering all industries. Paddy has already shown himself completely incapable of using a bit of cop on so regrettably people need every little detail spelled out for them.

Well considering Sports direct tried to claim they were an essential service in the UK only last week perhaps it is better that its spelled out.

The thing is that a supermarket sells meat so will have a meat factory that supplies it, the meat factory will have dozens of companies they use for maintenance or supplies, some of those in turn will have suppliers, etc. Same goes for veg, fruit, and everything else. So can those businesses close if the supermarket has to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Is the phy clinic an essential service? There’s 12 -15 junkies all gathered around and mauling each other at Christchurch.

The thing is that a supermarket sells meat so will have a meat factory that supplies it, the meat factory will have dozens of companies they use for maintenance or supplies, some of those in turn will have suppliers, etc. Same goes for veg, fruit, and everything else. So can those businesses close if the supermarket has to open?

It's already blatantly obvious that all businesses involved in the supply chain for food are to remain open.

Instead of asking why 2km, why do you feel the need to challenge it?

The idea is stay home, unless you need to do something, and if you need to do something, it has to be the closest option to you.

I wasn't challenging it.
    I was simply asking why.

There is a lot of hostility and preaching on this thread and many others on Boards.ie now.
    If people think the questions are trivial and stupid there is no need to follow threads.
    A lot of people are confused right now, there is nothing wrong with them asking questions on a public forum. This kind of action is unprecedented in all our lives. A little bit of kindness, understanding, compassion wouldn't go astray. If people cant be civil its better that they don't comment.

(I am 60, I live alone, both my daughters and baby granddaughter live abroad, my trips to visit both daughters in the next few months cancelled, my mother in isolation in a nursing home and is very ill). Everybody's situation is difficult and everybody is human. Its natural to feel worried and sad.

It's already blatantly obvious that all businesses involved in the supply chain for food are to remain open.

The list is out then? Stick up a link.

I wasn't challenging it.
    I was simply asking why.

There is a lot of hostility and preaching on this thread and many others on Boards.ie now.
    If people think the questions are trivial and stupid there is no need to follow threads.
    A lot of people are confused right now, there is nothing wrong with them asking questions on a public forum. This kind of action is unprecedented in all our lives. A little bit of kindness, understanding, compassion wouldn't go astray. If people cant be civil its better that they don't comment.

(I am 60, I live alone, both my daughters and baby granddaughter live abroad, my trips to visit both daughters in the next few months cancelled, my mother in isolation in a nursing home and is very ill). Everybody's situation is difficult and everybody is human. Its natural to feel worried and sad.

It's probably because many of us are answering the same questions over and over again.

The list is out then? Stick up a link.

FFs. Use your cop on. Why would they shut down the food chain? Do you think they expect people to live on fresh air and water?

I wasn't challenging it.
    I was simply asking why.

Big time. The amount of time spent moaning about questions could easily be spent answering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can I post a piece of advise that might just be helpful .,If everyone made a note of their medical history , medication taken and dosage and frequency .It is a huge help to stafff to have it written clearly when admitting a patient . I am going to do it today for us both here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

There is a lot of hostility .

This^

Each of us needs to remember to be a little bit more understanding of each other. Not everyone has access to all news sources, people are worried, questions that may seem rational to one person may seem crazy to another as lots of us are not thinking straight. This is the start of a very stressful time and we need to be mindful of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I wasn't challenging it.
    I was simply asking why.

I send you a huge hug and if you want to chat pm me Im always on here eek!! I do find sometimes that tone can be misinterpreted on these boards. So apologies if anything I write seems preachy just giving a point of view

Hugssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It's probably because many of us are answering the same questions over and over again.

You could ignore the post, nobody has requested you to answer the same question over and over again

FFs. Use your cop on. Why would they shut down the food chain? Do you think they expect people to live on fresh air and water?

Clarification is needed. It’s the only way rules work.

And so far I’m only getting (a fairly rude toned) confirmation from you, but you seem to know nothing and just like ranting your opinions.

So, anyone else who’s a bit rational. Will there be a proper list published of all layers of industry or is anything outside consumer facing allowed to stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

kenmm wrote: »
    This^

Each of us needs to remember to be a little bit more understanding of each other. Not everyone has access to all news sources, people are worried, questions that may seem rational to one person may seem crazy to another as lots of us are not thinking straight. This is the start of a very stressful time and we need to be mindful of that.

You're spot on. I'm going out to weed the garden and clear the head.

Clarification is needed. It’s the only way rules work.

And so far I’m only getting (a fairly rude toned) confirmation from you, but you seem to know nothing and just like ranting your opinions.

So, anyone else who’s a bit rational. Will there be a proper list published of all layers of industry or is anything outside consumer facing allowed to stay open?

Of course it was only my opinion. Whose opinion do you expect me to post?

I mean like I answered your question: I expect all industries to be covered in the list. I didn't say someone else expects all industries to be covered in the list.

Did the word blatantly in my second reply to you offend you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

scwazrh wrote: »
    You could ignore the post, nobody has requested you to answer the same question over and over again

Ah, in fairness some posters are being deliberately thick asking the same questions that have already been answered.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Ah, in fairness some posters are being deliberately thick asking the same questions that have already been answered.

This is 21 pages long. People can’t be expected to read 21 pages to see if something was already asked, so that’s a ridiculous point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

People should either be polite and answer if they can or step away and take a break

Advertisement