Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

scarepanda wrote: »
    Your obviously a city dweller. Or at the very least not living too rural. We live exactly 10 minutes away from our two local towns both of which have 3 main supermarkets but both towns are in a different county to the one we live in. The nearest town in our county to do any sort of shopping in is 40 minutes away, what in the name of God would we be doing heading there? Also I've owned 4 or 5 cars and my current car is the only car that has had my county reg, so how do you police the reg numbers? Send me down to cork or up to Cavan if I still had those reg cars? Irelands too small, too integrated and yet too spread out to even imagine doing what your suggesting.

Whoa Panda...it doesn't get much more rural than here! If we're not holding this to counties then why have us within 2kms of home for exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Monumental wrote:
    There is no benefit ,but think of the wider picture ,you see two adults and a few kids out walking how are we to know they are a family living in a house together Just follow the requests made by the people in charge at the minute

We are. We are allowed out as a family unit, regardless of how large our family is, for 30 minutes within 2k of our home. This is what we have been doing for the last two weeks so no big deal from our side.

I'm curious as to why you would need to know if we were a family unit or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

loveall wrote: »
    Whoa Panda...it doesn't get much more rural than here! If we're not holding this to counties then why have us within 2kms of home for exercise?

Sorry, I had my post posted before I saw your post above mine.

That's just for exercise though. It's stops people driving and congregating in the one area. Tbh you can blame all the numpties travelling outside of their locality to the beach, woods, and up mountains last weekend for the 2km limit that's in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We are. We are allowed out as a family unit, regardless of how large our family is, for 30 minutes within 2k of our home. This is what we have been doing for the last two weeks so no big deal from our side.

I'm curious as to why you would need to know if we were a family unit or not?

I really dont care if you are or not but these are the guidelines as I understand them Sorry if I'm wrong Enjoy your walks

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Kerry25x wrote: »
    No of course I wouldn't go out exercising at night or in the early hours on my own but that's just common sense.

I agree. I'm a young (ish) woman and I find the idea of not going out at certain times without someone accompanying me bizarre and yes, quite sad.

Sure, there are particular areas that I would consider dangerous that I would avoid, but I wouldn't go there alone or in a group anyway.

• Advertisement

Monumental wrote:
    I really dont care if you are or not but these are the guidelines as I understand them Sorry if I'm wrong Enjoy your walks

The guidelines say that family /household units are the only ones allowed to go out in a group & there is no limit to the size of the group. Everyone else must go out on their own. The entire message last night was that households are to isolate from other households. This was reported again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

was there some kind of hold off on sits until Monday night to allow them to be made safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some people are just too stupid to live. My dope of a neighbor right now has his kids out running wild in the communal garden. Alongside his sisters kids who are visiting. And then they knock in asking can ours come to play. I know they’re only kids but I was so close to telling them to F off. What are the parents thinking? I’m sitting here fuming. Grrr...

Why the feck don't people remind their neighbours of their obligations to the rest of society or RING THE GUARDS instead of fuming and whinging? Jees.

Most of us sitting tight while some have a grand old time as disease carriers and nobody does anything to counter it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The guidelines say that family /household units are the only ones allowed to go out in a group & there is no limit to the size of the group. Everyone else must go out on their own. The entire message last night was that households are to isolate from other households. This was reported again and again.

Where you getting the clear guidelines on this...?

Leo's message suggested not more than one adult.

The HSE ad in the paper didn't mention the "individual" part, but today they updated this guidance on their website...

"exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html#Stay

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

One question on the 2km radius for exercise. I live around 1km from the Phoenix Park and so far my daily exercise has been to go one round there per day.

I can still go there but would the restriction mean I need to stay around the entrance area in order to stay within the 2km radius of my house or can I - if I easily reach the Phoenix Park within 1km - go anywhere in the park ?

The middle of the park is further away than 2km but it would make sense to go further into the park to avoid meeting other people. If everyone does their exercise close to the entrance it would not help anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Why the feck don't people remind their neighbours of their obligations to the rest of society or RING THE GUARDS instead of fuming and whinging? Jees.

Most of us sitting tight while some have a grand old time as disease carriers and nobody does anything to counter it.
    Let me explain guys, maybe I'm stupid or don't understand something, but as per Taoiseach guidelines 2 km. should be respected by people of Ireland, but u don't need to look far further then adverts.ie as people selling and buying and travelling between Dublin - Cork etc. for God's sake wake up that's not a f.....ng dream that happens in real. In Poland if u on quarantine (which lasts for 2 weeks) u can't go outside and if you do u will be fined roughly 8000eu, but it's only when u are on quarantaine, but most Poles stayed at home for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Monumental wrote: »
    There is no benefit ,but think of the wider picture ,you see two adults and a few kids out walking how are we to know they are a family living in a house together Just follow the requests made by the people in charge at the minute

The HSE guidelines state that it's okay for families to exercise together. I'll follow those guidelines.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Turns out some of the know-it-alls were wrong. Gardai are indeed stopping individuals at checkpoints and instructing them to turn around and go home if their journey isn't necessary.

Going to the shop for essential supplies guard... and how can they prove otherwise, they can't.

ChewyLouie wrote:
    Leo's message suggested not more than one adult.

Jasus wept. This has been pointed out several times already on this thread. Leo said that all gatherings of
    more than one person in public or in private UNLESS A FAMILY UNIT OR HOUSEHOLD is strictly prohibited. This means that a household unit regardless of the size can gather in a group in private or in PUBLIC. Again the entire message last night was that households were not to mix with other households in public or private. There is no restrictions on the a household mixing in private or public.

I'd love to see the Gardai drag daddy away from the family unit as they stroll through the park. It's absolutely nuts to suggest that Leo or the government wants to separate families during exercise. Why would they want this? The family spend 23 hours a day together in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

I live in the country. I'm 55 so a little at risk to covid 19.
    I need to exercise/ get out of the house.

I can walk up my road ( within the 2km limit ) with the possibility of passing maybe a few of my neighbours on the road, all doing the same as me, perhaps with their kids.

Or

I can sit in my car and drive 6km down the road, to an extremely isolated bog , with roads going through it, where I am guaranteed not to meet anyone, and I mean guaranteed.

What's the best thing to do? Does common sense not prevail ??

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Jasus wept. This has been pointed out several times already on this thread. Leo said that all gatherings of
    more than one person in public or in private UNLESS A FAMILY UNIT OR HOUSEHOLD is strictly prohibited. This means that a household unit regardless of the size can gather in a group in private or in PUBLIC. .

Maybe what he said, but the published information is:

"to take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures"

I would have thought that was very clear.

Realistically, though, I saw plenty of couples with one or two young children out today with no intervention from Gardaí who were around in force, which is what I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Would common sense not include you listening to the advice? Stop looking for permission from anonymous people on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I live in the country. I'm 55 so a little at risk to covid 19.
    I need to exercise/ get out of the house.

I can walk up my road ( within the 2km limit ) with the possibility of passing maybe a few of my neighbours on the road, all doing the same as me, perhaps with their kids.

Or

I can sit in my car and drive 6km down the road, to an extremely isolated bog , with roads going through it, where I am guaranteed not to meet anyone, and I mean guaranteed.

No, common sense does not prevail. It was obvious last weekend that there is a lack of common sense when Glendalough etc was thronged. Regrettably your activities are now restricted on account of their actions last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

"to take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures"

Realistically, though, I saw plenty of couples with one or two young children out today with no intervention from Gardaí who were around in force, which is what I'd expect.

The Individual you highlight there simply means one piece of exercise (ie one walk, one run).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

No it's not. You have to read the WHOLE article!!!!! As people have pointed out about 50 million times on this thread. It then goes on to say that people can be in a public or private place with their household.

• Advertisement

Does common sense not prevail ??

Absolutely not! That's exactly the point, common sense doesn't prevail, because that in essence is saying everyone can decide for themselves what rules they should follow, including those who see no problem with going to the pub.

All the evidence is that this just doesn't work.

Hence the need for a set of rules, backed by enforcement.

appledrop wrote: »
    No it's not. You have to read the WHOLE article!!!!! As people have pointed out about 50 million times on this thread. It then goes on to say that people can be in a public or private place with their household.

We must be looking at different things. Exact reference, please?

Dodge wrote: »
    The Individual you highlight there simply means one piece of exercise (ie one walk, one run).

No, the HSE version has it as:

"exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely we don't need rules, we need a bloody big dose of Common Sense.

Stay home as much as you can, go for a walk/run within two K of your home briefly. kids can go with you as a family unit. Go shopping as little as possible.

Message as I understand it is to keep away from everyone apart from essential interraction. Sound.

Surely we don't need rules, we need a bloody big dose of Common Sense.

Last weekend proved we do need rules. "Common sense" is just another way of saying everyone can make up their own rules, as what's common sense to you differs between people.

Maybe you listened to a different speach last night. "Individual" last night meant you can't meet up with friends for a walk or jog. Throughout the speach he spoke of the individual and the family /household unit. He made it very clear that they were totally different things. He highlighted that family /household units were the only ones allowed to group together in private and in public. There is no size limit set for the family /household unit. Please show me on any government sites where it says parents can't excercise with their children as a family unit. Leo made it very clear that they can.

I can't stress this enough. There is no Irish government that would ever stop families being together for no good reason like that.

No, common sense does not prevail. It was obvious last weekend that there is a lack of common sense when Glendalough etc was thronged. Regrettably your activities are now restricted on account of their actions last weekend.

But this is a private bog road which I have a right of way to walk across. Won't be anyone else walking here . . .or anywhere near here. . .. That's 100% gaurenteed. I will be completely isolated here. But if I walk up the road , within the 2km limit . . . I will almost certain pass my neighbours on the road . . . (I live on a cul de sac road with a lot of families/ houses on a short stretch of road )

I will almost certain pass my neighbours on the road . . . (I live on a cul de sac road with a lot of families/ houses on a short stretch of road )

No problem there, just stay 2m away from them.

Dodge wrote: »
    Would common sense not include you listening to the advice? Stop looking for permission from anonymous people on here

Get off your high horse Dodge . . . I'm looking for clarity. Get lost if you don't want to help me.

• Advertisement

Maybe you listened to a different speach last night. "Individual" last night meant you can't meet up with friends for a walk or jog. Throughout the speach he spoke of the individual and the family /household unit. He made it very clear that they were totally different things. He highlighted that family /household units were the only ones allowed to group together in private and in public. There is no size limit set for the family /household unit. Please show me on any government sites where it says parents can't excercise with their children as a family unit. Leo made it very clear that they can.

I can't stress this enough. There is no Irish government that would ever stop families being together for no good reason like that.

I've just given two direct quotes from the rules we've been asked to follow. One is open to misinterpretation, the other I'd say is completely unambiguous.
    It looks to me like you want to make up your own rules, which as last week proved does not work.

Advertisement