Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

New house stalled near me, if they can't get materials it has to stop anyhow.

They are knocking down existing atm so not at stage they need materials. They are there on site already today.

Yes hopefully once this is complete they will need to stop. We are in a cul de sac And guys shouting at each other all day in addition to building noise. Not fun when you are sitting on conference calls all day in the front of the house.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Where you getting the clear guidelines on this...?

Leo's message suggested not more than one adult.

The HSE ad in the paper didn't mention the "individual" part, but today they updated this guidance on their website...

"exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html#Stay

I can’t believe that people cannot understand this. It’s on the radio, TV and online. If your household consists of 2 or more people living as a family unit, then it’s perfectly fine for you all to go for a walk, run or cycle together as long as you keep 2 meters from OTHER people you might meet. ie walk, run or cycle in single style on opposite side of the road. You CANNOT go more than 2 k from your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

I’ve a shop within 2km too. There’s also thousands of houses so if that restriction was in place the shop would be empty within an hour. Of course people need to travel to shop.

But shur if the occupants of these 1000s of houses are all exercising within 2km radius . . . The place will be packed. Better off if people go somewhere isolated . . . .. even if greater the 2km away , No??????? It's a big country like ??!!

But shur if the occupants of these 1000s of houses are all exercising within 2km radius . . . The place will be packed. Better off if people go somewhere isolated . . . .. even if greater the 2km away , No??????? It's a big country like ??!!

Do you think everyone exercises? And do you think everyone that exercises does it at the exact same time in the exact same place? When there’s 1000’s of houses there’s lots of different parks.

Look, we have to stay within 2km for anything except getting supplies from the places still open. We can travel outside 2km to go to a shop. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in a food warehouse supplying the supermarkets, we have work tomorrow but got no letter so if the Guards stop me tomorrow morning I doubt they will just take my word for it where I'm going.

• Advertisement

I work in a food warehouse supplying the supermarkets, we have work tomorrow but got no letter so if the Guards stop me tomorrow morning I doubt they will just take my word for it where I'm going.

You could probably rustle up something, a P60 or a payslip or something, that would show that you did actually work there at least. Couldn’t see there being huge problems then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It must be dreadful living in apartment blocks, terraces and housing estates at the moment.
    Hard for larger families in smaller spaces.

We’re really lucky to live in a small farm. Kids have loads of space to run about, play and exercise.

Even myself the running of the farm while usually part time it provides lots to be doing, working on a project refurbishing old buildings into a stables.

Broadband would be our weak point though. We’re relying on a 3G/4g connection. Have to do any online work from early in the day, when wee getting a staggering 8-10mb connection. In the evenings it’s down to 0.5-2mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Went for a walk with my wife and 2 kids yesterday, obeying the 2km limit.

Garda car passed us twice, and Gardai did not shoot us for having both adults present.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Shur how am I allowed travel 10km to the shop . . . If there's a shop down the road from me??? . Is it not the same as exercise. ?? Fear at all we wouldn't spend as much as usual. . . .thats y ? Pick and choose what suits them . . . You can't spend money when your exercising . . . No matter where you are . . .so lets restrict that !! Ha. Joke!

Jesus f**king Christ, have you nothing better to be doing than twisting clear information so that you can ask idiotic questions and make idiotic arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I can't see anything to confirm online. Is it an essential service? (There is one within 2km).
    I presume they are all closed, but can't see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

What's the emergency ,did you not understand what's going on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

_Brian wrote: »
    It must be dreadful living in apartment blocks, terraces and housing estates at the moment.
    Hard for larger families in smaller spaces.

Exactly. That's why the concession to get some fresh air and exercise is there. Yet still some people want to ignore this, which if they do, will only lead to one thing: even tighter restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

You're late to the party....people got their days out last weekend. See where we are now? But if you'd like to keep your area open for yourself then let us know where you are and and the numpties can join you.

God! Never realised people were so stupid as some of the people on this thread ! Common sense not that common, unfortunately!!!

osarusan wrote: »
    Went for a walk with my wife and 2 kids yesterday, obeying the 2km limit.

Garda car passed us twice, and Gardai did not shoot us for having both adults present.

Maybe they had better things to be doing?

I'm guessing here, but I think the reason the rules are framed the way they are is to make it easier to enforce. Very easy to see at a distance without having to check that you were a family from the same household, and hence low risk. Four adults out together would on the other hand would be worth questioning with the rules framed the way they are, as there's next to no valid reason for them to be out together.

If the rules were framed as household groups allowed to go out as some here seem to think they are, they'd have to start questioning all such groups before making an assessment, hardly a good use of resources.

God! Never realised people were so stupid as some of the people on this thread ! Common sense not that common, unfortunately!!!

Exactly why we have the new rules. Common sense didn't work, for the reason you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Main burst again here in my area. No water for over 24hrs. New mains pipes. 5th time it’s happened since these pipes were replaced. The rings on my cooker stopped working last night, no hardware stores to replace this. Isolating as I had a bad fever this week. Attempted break in by scumbags thinking I wasn’t home busted the lock on my window, still no response by AGS, too busy stopping cars (not pedestrians, drivers) can’t send someone to replace any of these things from my local hardware shop which would normally be open on a Sunday. Fridges break, pipes burst in the house, fuses blow. Places like woodies diy/B&Q/Argos are essential, yet omitted from the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

bigroad wrote: »

Good point, I suppose a pile of rubbish isn't the end of the world. Can you please delete thread mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Waste disposal usually is considered an essential service actually

Can you buy the part online to keep you going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They had been open, the one in roselawn had a very long queue the other day, I would expect after that they shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They had been open, the one in roselawn had a very long queue the other day, I would expect after that they shut down

Fingal have closed all their brings centres. I'd imagine other local authorities followed

I'm off to the bog anyway . . . .must bring home the turf garda!!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Fingal have closed all their brings centres. I'd imagine other local authorities followed
    Yes they did for good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm off to the bog anyway . . . .must bring home the turf garda!!

Using your own ****e as turf. Not a bad idea

Waste disposal usually is considered an essential service actually
    Yes that's why the big truck comes around and they empty your bin into the back .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

stay at home OP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes that's why the big truck comes around and they empty your bin into the back .

A minority of us don't have a bin account, I bring my rubbish to a bring centre every few months when I eventually fill a bag.

Thankfully I brought a big bag only last week, while the centre was still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi

Are people who are not essential workers still allowed to use public transport?

I have to get the bus into my local town to get to the post office and I'm wondering if I can still use the bus or not?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Managed to get shopping done before breakfast and had respirator full face mask on and latex gloves and yet still was doing social distance apart from others as we all have to think safety.

Advertisement