Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

greasepalm wrote: »
    Managed to get shopping done before breakfast and had respirator full face mask on and latex gloves and yet still was doing social distance apart from others as we all have to think safety.

Is that you Darth Vader?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi

Are people who are not essential workers still allowed to use public transport?

I have to get the bus into my local town to get to the post office and I'm wondering if I can still use the bus or not?

Thanks.

No
    It specifically says not

Essential people only.

You should contact some of the many local groups helping people with shopping at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

Considering the restrictions, how come adverts.ie is still allowing people to put up ads?
    Surely if you are only supposed to go out for essential shopping they should put a hold on people advertising there. Maybe some of the ads on there are ok but someone giving away stuff because of a shed clear out can wait.

raxy wrote: »
    Considering the restrictions, how come adverts.ie is still allowing people to put up ads?
    Surely if you are only supposed to go out for essential shopping they should put a hold on people advertising there. Maybe some of the ads on there are ok but someone giving away stuff because of a shed clear out can wait.

Probably just up to people not to bid on such ads if they’re not allowed collect things.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

so if the Guards stop me tomorrow morning I doubt they will just take my word for it where I'm going.

What do you think they would do - launch a full scale investigation?
    Just drive to your place of work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

raxy wrote: »

Lets say I look at an add for a watch. I can contact the seller & arrange to buy the item. I can arrange to pick it up it 2 weeks or he can have it delivered to me. Delivery companies are essential.

I don't use Adverts or Donedeal to sell goods but I have an online store. We post goods everyday Monday to Friday at the local post office. Post office is essential. I have parcels ready to go to the post office tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Can domestic building projects continue? Builders working on empty house on residential road.

Hoping the answer is no. Most of the rest of us trying to wfh and builders there 7 days a week.

I'd say no.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1126993/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

d15ude wrote: »
    What do you think they would do - launch a full scale investigation?
    Just drive to your place of work!

I am essential worker. I have to carry photo ID. I must carry documents about the jobs/homes I am visiting. I must justify each job each time I am stopped. It's possible some jobs will be deemed not an emergency & I may be sent home. I'll let you know how it works out over the next few days. Yesterday they weren't looking for ID or documents but I was told a check point that I would need these from Monday onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You can travel further than 2km for shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

I just phoned my local Garda station and asked them about my situation re: walking a dog for a disabled person. They were really nice and helpful too. (They said the answer is "not really", but to carry ID and if stopped just explain the situation).

Anyone who is unsure maybe give them a call. Glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I am essential worker. I have to carry photo ID. I must carry documents about the jobs/homes I am visiting. I must justify each job each time I am stopped. It's possible some jobs will be deemed not an emergency & I may be sent home. I'll let you know how it works out over the next few days. Yesterday they weren't looking for ID or documents but I was told a check point that I would need these from Monday onwards

So every farmer will need proof that he's checking animals ?
    Every shopper proof that they are going to a shop ?
    Every family member who is travelling to help a vulnerable relative ?
    Volunteers delivering supplies ?

The obvious question is who are the Gardai planning to catch & will the checkpoints be used to check the normal tax, nct etc ?

I just phoned my local Garda station and asked them about my situation re: walking a dog for a disabled person. They were really nice and helpful too. (They said the answer is "not really", but to carry ID and if stopped just explain the situation).

Anyone who is unsure maybe give them a call. Glad I did.

Animal care is a listed essential & what would the ID prove, why do they need that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Okay here is my situation I had to return home last friday to my families home for reason unconnected to the virus. I need to return back home as I have work tomorrow. Will I be stopped?

Discodog wrote: »
    Animal care is a listed essential & what would the ID prove, why do they need that ?

Not much, just sharing what I was told!
    It might help if the lady I work for gets a doctor's letter stating that she can't do it herself and maybe writes me a letter saying that I am her dog walker for the last three years. We had discussed it a bit on Friday but didn't realise this was coming so soon.

Okay here is my situation I had to return home last friday to my families home for reason unconnected to the virus. I need to return back home as I have work tomorrow. Will I be stopped?

You might be stopped. Are you asking if you will be prevented from continuing on your journey home? I'd imagine not.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Not much, just sharing what I was told!
    It might help if the lady I work for gets a doctor's letter stating that she can't do it herself and maybe writes me a letter saying that I am her dog walker for the last three years. We had discussed it a bit on Friday but didn't realise this was coming so soon.

But then it depends on the individual Guard that stops you. One problem could be that the Gardai in general don't seem to care about animals or animal law.

The present Garda operation ends on Monday morning & we have no idea how vociferously they plan to extend it into the working week. There have been virtually no checkpoints in the past two weeks. Checking id's etc involves getting closer than two metres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi

Are people who are not essential workers still allowed to use public transport?

I have to get the bus into my local town to get to the post office and I'm wondering if I can still use the bus or not?

Thanks.

Again common sense will apply here. If you have no other option then they won’t stop you.

Penfailed wrote: »
    You might be stopped. Are you asking if you will be prevented from continuing on your journey home? I'd imagine not.

But what else could they be doing that's so dangerous ? Travelling to a secret job with a hidden factory of workers ?

These advisories must be applied sensibly, which relies on Garda discretion. It's concerning that the Commissioner has started to reel off lists of requirements.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Again common sense will apply here. If you have no other option then they won’t stop you.

And the ‘if you have no other option’ is equally as important there.

First question to be asked is “do I really need to go to the Post Office?”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm at greater risk passing these people on a small road. The virus remains airborne for up to 3 hrs. Much safer where less people around in my view.

Incorrect. The virus is not airborne. Taken directly from the WHO website:

“ In the context of COVID-19, airborne transmission may be possible in specific circumstances and settings in which procedures that generate aerosols are performed (i.e. endotracheal intubation, bronchoscopy, open suctioning, administration of nebulized treatment, manual ventilation before intubation, turning the patient to the prone position, disconnecting the patient from the ventilator, non-invasive positive-pressure ventilation, tracheostomy, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation). In analysis of 75,465 COVID-19 cases in China, airborne transmission was not reported.”

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Finally a reference...! I've checked the video.

He did not say that "only family /household units can gather together in a group in public". What he said was (copy/paste from transcript)...

"all public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited"

... which is very different.

All gatherings outside of household units are prohibited. That does not mean all public gatherings of household units is permitted. As already outlined, when exercising you do so by yourself or you can bring the kids.
    So, first you claim you were told something different from the guidelines, and now, once it's pointed out you wreren't, you say they were thrown together.

That may well be true, but is that your new excuse not to follow them?
    No, they're not. The rules are very specific on the point. One adult plus optional children, all from the same household.

No, you're not. See above.

Please listen to RTE radio 1. Public notice adverts playing this morning

Go out with members of your own household only

No mention of one adult with children & no mention a a maximum number. In fact no mention of children. 10 or more Adults living in the same household can gather in a group. This is in line with Leos comments

all public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited

Any amount of adults from the same household CAN go out with the children of the house

Incorrect. The virus is not airborne. Taken directly from the WHO website:

Yep! Using a random graphic from Facebook as evidence to the contrary in these days of misinformation merely spreads further misinformation and panic.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Please listen to RTE radio 1. Public notice adverts playing this morning

No mention of one adult with children & no mention a a maximum number. In fact no mention of children. 10 or more Adults living in the same household can gather in a group. This is in line with Leos comments

Any amount of adults from the same household CAN go out with the children of the house

What have we come to that simple common sense instructions cannot be understood and have to be explained over and over?

Mind yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Main burst again here in my area. No water for over 24hrs. New mains pipes. 5th time it’s happened since these pipes were replaced. The rings on my cooker stopped working last night, no hardware stores to replace this. Isolating as I had a bad fever this week. Attempted break in by scumbags thinking I wasn’t home busted the lock on my window, still no response by AGS, too busy stopping cars (not pedestrians, drivers) can’t send someone to replace any of these things from my local hardware shop which would normally be open on a Sunday. Fridges break, pipes burst in the house, fuses blow. Places like woodies diy/B&Q/Argos are essential, yet omitted from the list

Hardware stores are still open on a delivery/emergency call-out basis. Most of them are closed for the weekend to get their ducks in a row but you should be able to contact your local one.

And the ‘if you have no other option’ is equally as important there.

First question to be asked is “do I really need to go to the Post Office?”

Under the rules trips to the Post Office are permitted. It’s up to the individual to decide if it’s necessary. We don’t want to see further erosions of our civil liberties by having the gardai or the state decide if our reason is good enough so hopefully it doesn’t come to that

Under the rules trips to the Post Office are permitted. It’s up to the individual to decide if it’s necessary. We don’t want to see further erosions of our civil liberties by having the gardai or the state decide if our reason is good enough so hopefully it doesn’t come to that

That’s what I meant. It’s up to the individual so they need to ask themselves that. Maybe they do need to go and are allowed to go, but we should still avoid going anywhere at all if at all possible and shouldn’t just go for no other reason than because we’re allowed. That’s what’s wrong with all the people out walking now when they haven’t been out for a stroll in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I'm classified as a "support worker" in the health service. I'm doing baically 6 days a week at the moment and my dad had been helping me by giving me lifts to work so I wouldn't be on public transport so often.

I work about 11km from my house, so now from reading the restrictions, he can no longer give me a lift? We live in the same house so he's we're part of the same "unit". Can he help me get to work? Or pick me up after a 10/11 hour day? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Penfailed wrote: »

Yep I was. I know I be stopped. Would I have to turn around

Advertisement