Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yep I was. I know I be stopped. Would I have to turn around

You don't know if you would be likely to be stopped because we don't know what the regime is that's due to come in on Monday. This weekend's Garda operation was to ensure distancing especially at popular spots where crowds gathered the previous weekend.

This is where their focus should continue & not stopping random vehicles. But we don't know what orders they have been given. Maybe the Gardai want the publicity of showing lots of checkpoints & when the law is passed issuing fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

I've been wondering the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I suspect the answer is no, but is it likely travel would be allowed to effect repairs needed to a roof of a building in a remote location, given there would be no social interaction involved at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭greasepalm

mlem123 wrote: »
    I'm classified as a "support worker" in the health service. I'm doing baically 6 days a week at the moment and my dad had been helping me by giving me lifts to work so I wouldn't be on public transport so often.

I work about 11km from my house, so now from reading the restrictions, he can no longer give me a lift? We live in the same house so he's we're part of the same "unit". Can he help me get to work? Or pick me up after a 10/11 hour day? :P

The way i look at it as your in the front line and a vital link in the chain and need to travel and getting a lift from someone in the same household should be ok.If possible carry a letter in car that your DAD is using this car as a collection and delivery service for a support worker.Stay safe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Main burst again here in my area. No water for over 24hrs. New mains pipes. 5th time it’s happened since these pipes were replaced. The rings on my cooker stopped working last night, no hardware stores to replace this. Isolating as I had a bad fever this week. Attempted break in by scumbags thinking I wasn’t home busted the lock on my window, still no response by AGS, too busy stopping cars (not pedestrians, drivers) can’t send someone to replace any of these things from my local hardware shop which would normally be open on a Sunday. Fridges break, pipes burst in the house, fuses blow. Places like woodies diy/B&Q/Argos are essential, yet omitted from the list

ronaynes have a facebook post up saying they will deliver emergency stuff like that.
    I would presume stakelums will post similar shortly.
    co op is doing it for animal feed etc with no word on electrical but I wold imagine they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What have we come to that simple common sense instructions cannot be understood and have to be explained over and over?

Mind yourselves.

I don't believe people are that stupid. The instruction laid down by Leo was too simple to get wrong by most people. I think many posters were deliberately Trying to twist Leos message to scare people. I don't see any difference in many of their posts & the fake news passed around Whatsapp & Facebook.

Main burst again here in my area. No water for over 24hrs. New mains pipes. 5th time it’s happened since these pipes were replaced. The rings on my cooker stopped working last night, no hardware stores to replace this. Isolating as I had a bad fever this week. Attempted break in by scumbags thinking I wasn’t home busted the lock on my window, still no response by AGS, too busy stopping cars (not pedestrians, drivers) can’t send someone to replace any of these things from my local hardware shop which would normally be open on a Sunday. Fridges break, pipes burst in the house, fuses blow. Places like woodies diy/B&Q/Argos are essential, yet omitted from the list

Most GAA clubs are organising volunteers to deliver supplies to vulnerable people and those in isolation. Check local GAA Facebook pages or local county councilors pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

shanmo wrote: »
    I've been wondering the same.

Really. You’re not going to be turned back. If asked, just say “I’m going home, I had to go to a relative the other day, but then these new rules came in while I was there, and now I’m going home. I have work tomorrow”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

jlm29 wrote: »
    Really. You’re not going to be turned back. If asked, just say “I’m going home, I had to go to a relative the other day, but then these new rules came in while I was there, and now I’m going home. I have work tomorrow”

This ^^^

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Are they not checking details of drivers license to see where they live or number plate checking from cars?

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Are they not checking details of drivers license to see where they live or number plate checking from cars?

That’s a good point as I still have my home place on the drivers licence and my car is registered to the work address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That’s a good point as I still have my home place on the drivers licence and my car is registered to the work address.

We’re not in occupied France just yet. I really doubt it will be an issue. Does your home home have old people in it who should be cocooning?. If you’re particularly worried, you could say “I was dropping food to my home place, my parents are cocooning, and now I going home”.

We’re not in occupied France just yet. I really doubt it will be an issue. Does your home home have old people in it who should be cocooning?. If you’re particularly worried, you could say “I was dropping food to my home place, my parents are cocooning, and now I going home”.

I’ll have a letter from work anyway (work is the only reason I’ll be on then road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Please listen to RTE radio 1. Public notice adverts playing this morning

No mention of one adult with children & no mention a a maximum number. In fact no mention of children. 10 or more Adults living in the same household can gather in a group. This is in line with Leos comments

That's the nature of adverts - they're short and aren't going to cover everything! Otherwise they'd be re-running the whole list.
    all public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited
    Any amount of adults from the same household CAN go out with the children of the house

You're making your own leap from that quote to your statement. One doesn't infer the other.

Fair enough you don't think that restriction makes sense. Fair enough you'd rather it be as many adults from the family unit together as wanted if distancing from others. I fully agree. But just so you know you are making up your own rules rather than following the restrictions. ;)

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    That's the nature of adverts - they're short and aren't going to cover everything! Otherwise they'd be re-running the whole list.

You're making your own leap from that quote to your statement. One doesn't infer the other.

Fair enough you don't think that restriction makes sense. Fair enough you'd rather it be as many adults from the family unit together as wanted if distancing from others. I fully agree. But just so you know you are making up your own rules rather than following the restrictions. ;)

You need to listen to Leo & listen to the radio add. It's all there loud & clear. All of a household family / unit can gather in a group in public & private.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I suspect the answer is no, but is it likely travel would be allowed to effect repairs needed to a roof of a building in a remote location, given there would be no social interaction involved at any point?

An elderly client phoned me to say that a big tree branch has broken & is hanging over her house. Tree surgery isn't on the list so I would be breaking the law to deal with it - unless I lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Discodog wrote: »
    An elderly client phoned me to say that a big tree branch has broken & is hanging over her house. Tree surgery isn't on the list so I would be breaking the law to deal with it - unless I lie.
    They messed up with the restrictions and allowed exemptions, and damage and repair of properties is a big omission.

You need to listen to Leo & listen to the radio add. It's all there loud & clear. All of a household family / unit can gather in a group in public & private.

You're a broken record. I listened to the full speech and even the part that you referenced and that's not what was said, as already pointed out.

Anyway, I'm not going to go around in circles with you! Let's get out and find some space to enjoy the sunshine! ;)

I'll leave you with a final reminder of the latest advice from the Gov and the HSE...

Gov.ie
    take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household

HSE
    exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family

You're a broken record. I listened to the full speech and even the part that you referenced and that's not what was said, as already pointed out.

Anyway, I'm not going to go around in circles with you! Let's get out and find some space to enjoy the sunshine! ;)

I'll leave you with a final reminder of the latest advice from the Gov and the HSE...

Gov.ie

HSE

take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household

exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family

Please, please, please point me to where is says that both parents aren't allowed/ Please point to where it says that all members of the household unit are forbidden from gathering as a group?

The government add says family / household unit can leave the house together & Leo said they can. What you are posting doesn't exclude the other parent. Please post a link or wording to back up your false claims.

English isn't your first language is it? Fess up? Be honest now :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm in a bit of a heap at the moment and need some outside advice

I may have to attend a family emergency in Germany.
    Laving aside the fact that I probably shouldn't go because of the risk of catching and transferring the virus to my family, which I'm aware of ...would I even make it to the airport and out of the country at the moment? (travelling from the NW)

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

Could it fall under
    delivery of emergency services to businesses and homes on an emergency call-out basis in areas such as electrical, plumbing, glazing and roofing

This is under Construction on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

You don't give up, do you?

Please give us the exact quote and where it might be found.

The rule is very clear.

Gov.ie

HSE

Please, stop embarrassing yourself. It’s been clarified for you by numerous posters. It’s ok for a family group, who live in the same house/apartment to go for a walk, run or cycle together for up to 2 kilometres from their home. While out on said walk, run or cycle, should your group come across anyone else, then please practice safe distance procedures, ie stay two meters away. eg opposite sides of the road. Greet them, but don’t stop to talk. Wash your hands before leaving home and again on your return.

peasant wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a heap at the moment and need some outside advice

I may have to attend a family emergency in Germany.
    Laving aside the fact that I probably shouldn't go because of the risk of catching and transferring the virus to my family, which I'm aware of ...would I even make it to the airport and out of the country at the moment? (travelling from the NW)

Are there even flights?

I would imagine if there are passenger flights then you can go. They haven't closed the borders so EU freedom of movement seems to be allowed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are there even flights?

Very few, but as of today there still are ...getting back might be a different matter

Ugh, very briefly... I'll give you a couple of bite-sized words as the full quotes and references may have been a little overwhelming.
    Please, please, please point me to where is says that both parents aren't allowed
    individual
    yourself

Enjoy your exercise! ;)

You don't give up, do you?

Please give us the exact quote and where it might be found.

The rule is very clear.

Jasus man. Go back & read the last few thread. I'm not going to spam the thread with the same exact quote over & over & over again.

Have you listened to the Government radio add? IT states going out with household unit. Absolutely no mention of restriction of numbers, or one parent or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Please, please, please point me to where is says that both parents aren't allowed/ Please point to where it says that all members of the household unit are forbidden from gathering as a group?

Here: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html#Stay

Relevant quote:

"You should only leave your home to: .....exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

[omitting other exceptions, such as travel to work etc.]
    The government add says family / household unit can leave the house together & Leo said they can.

Same standard: please provide a link to where this is said and/or an exact quote. As far as I can tell, it's a pure invention on your part, so good luck with that.
    What you are posting doesn't exclude the other parent.

Yes, the quote above does. It is very explicit.

Please post a link or wording to back up your false claims.

English isn't your first language is it? Fess up? Be honest now :pac::pac::pac:

I can't speak about the person you're referring to, but English is my first language.

Same question, though: is English your first language and if so why are you having such difficulty in understanding the fairly simple language quoted above?

Could it fall under

This is under Construction on the list

Who knows ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluefivetwo23

I've been at my friends house since Friday on the other side of the city and I really need to go back to my house approx 5/6km away. Am I allowed make this journey? I can't stay here indefinitely or realistically even for 2 weeks.

Advertisement