Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jesus lads. Fighting over the semantics of language that required clarification. Is the desire to be right that overwhelmingly important right now? Whoever was right in the end was only right based on assumption given the confusion in the HSE as other posters pointed out.

That means you were all wrong. :p

This 2km exercise zone is crazy. I went outside my house this evening for a walk, my estate is big but well laid out. I encountered people everywhere, had to step off footpath many times, walk in circles around kids on bikes , older kids kicking football and playing tennis, smaller kids with their parents, dog walkers etc etc. These people have every right to exercise here and are following restrictions as I am but I have never seen it so crowded! Normally you only meet a few people.

My point is if we all have to exercise in built up areas within 2km of where we live we are far closer to people than if that restriction wasnt there. I live in a large town near the sea ( beaches are closed) and if I could go 5-6 km further away I would have lovely lanes and fields to walk in where nobody goes. These are the places I always walk in but now I cant and I'm forced to walk around my estate. Now I feel far more uneasy as I am in a more crowded situation than normal for walking. This defeats the purpose surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

This 2km exercise zone is crazy. I went outside my house this evening for a walk, my estate is big but well laid out. I encountered people everywhere, had to step off footpath many times, walk in circles around kids on bikes , older kids kicking football and playing tennis, smaller kids with their parents, dog walkers etc etc. These people have every right to exercise here and are following restrictions as I am but I have never seen it so crowded! Normally you only meet a few people.

My point is if we all have to exercise in built up areas within 2km of where we live we are far closer to people than if that restriction wasnt there. I live in a large town near the sea ( beaches are closed) and if I could go 5-6 km further away I would have lovely lanes and fields to walk in where nobody goes. These are the places I always walk in but now I cant and I'm forced to walk around my estate. Now I feel far more uneasy as I am in a more crowded situation than normal for walking. This defeats the purpose surely!

While it seems daft if you or anyone else out in your area exercising is infected you will keep the virus within that area. The problem of people going off to do there own thing miles away is then the area the virus can spread from any one single infection increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ye- I would have guessed that the restriction is to stop popular spots getting crowded (glendalough etc) but I would have thought banning people driving to exercise would have covered it.. i.e. go for a run, do your usual 5km route, or whatever cycle, but solo and leaving on foot/bike from your own home and not driving to go for a walk/run etc..

I guess a universal 2km or whatever is easy to enforce and really limits the spread as well, even if you end up with potentially concentrated outbreaks dud to overcrowding in build up areas.

I'm down near the port, so essentially only got a smaller area, full of dust of the building sites.. (I.e. most of my 2km radius is taken up by port/sea).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the point of the 2k limit is so that you should only be able to meet people within a 4km radius . if someone gets it then it should take a lot longer to spread out to everyone 2k at a time . if we can walk any distance then we shorter that time exponentially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Usually go to a forest about 10 mins drive away for a walk.

Lately would head the quietest route and go off track and even if a few cars in the carpark would usually only see a couple of people.

There are fields within the 2km so will scope them out tmw for a off track walk.
    Hopefully no trigger happy farmers out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Usually go to a forest about 10 mins drive away for a walk.

Lately would head the quietest route and go off track and even if a few cars in the carpark would usually only see a couple of people.

There are fields within the 2km so will scope them out tmw for a off track walk.
    Hopefully no trigger happy farmers out :pac:

Trigger happy farmers will turn it into a run
    Still exercise:D:pac:

I suppose going to a bigger supermarket 30km away to get more variety of stuff is out of the question?

Nearest supermarket is close by but not huge. Out of self isolation on Wednesday and would like to do a big shop.

Guess I know the answer and will have to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I suppose going to a bigger supermarket 30km away to get more variety of stuff is out of the question?

Nearest supermarket is close by but not huge. Out of self isolation on Wednesday and would like to do a big shop.

Guess I know the answer and will have to suck it up.

You can go to the other supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thank you. Exact same situation as me..

But people here are very by the book!! And will make little of you if you suggest the common sense approach.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You can go to the other supermarket.

Which one?

But people here are very by the book!! And will make little of you if you suggest the common sense approach.

Definitely a flaw in the system but if everyone starts making up their own rules then there are no rules.

We will be back to crowds of people from everywhere congregating in parks and beaches maybe bringing the virus back to their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I try to do things by the book but it never even crossed my mind to adhere by this. For one thing the nearest supermarket is about 7km away. Why not just drive to a wide empty space and walk around durrrr.

It's a bit like the speed limits in Ireland maybe... there's the speed limit and the speed limit.

Which one?

The one 30 k away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Which one?

2k travel is only for exercise. No restrictions on where you can shop or how far away it is. For the moment anyway.

I'm spoilt for choice for shopping. There is a massive Tesco in Clarehall, a Dunnes Stores in Donaghmede, a smaller Tesco in Kilbarrack, two Super Value Raheny & Kilester. The bigger ones have more selection and are most likely cheaper but they are also busier. Longer quques and a greater chance of picking up the virus. I actually prefer to use the smallest supermarket in my area. Centra in Greendale. It has everything I need & it's less crowded.

Sometimes the small local one is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would it be acceptable to collect It equipment from an adverts.ie seller that I require for working from home? Do you think I'd have a problem if stopped at a checkpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The article in the Irish Times quoting Drew Harris seems to be causing a whole lot of confusion.

Apparently we are supposed to have evidence if where travelling more than 2km. So does that mean it applies to grocery shopping?

A lot of people don’t have a supermarket within 2km of them or may tend to use a particular one. In my case the only supermarket near by is absolutely terrible and basically a glorified bad Centra. There’s a SuperValu about 4.8km away which is where I normally shop

The government needs to be damn clear on this and stop mixing messages. It’s causing confusion..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-should-carry-evidence-of-travel-reasons-if-exceeding-2km-limit-1.4215164

So what do I bring? A set of shopping bags and a list as evidence?

I had an elderly relative asking if she could collect her prescriptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    2k travel is only for exercise. No restrictions on where you can shop or how far away it is. For the moment anyway.
    I've got an Aldi quite close by, but the layout and width of the aisles causes all kinds of problems even in "normal" times, so I've stopped going there. There's a Lidl close by too which also has it's own problems, and a Tesco that I boycotted years ago due to their incredibly rude management. As a consequence I travel to the next small town, around 7km away, where there's a nice big Lidl with a huge car park, and am planning on continuing to do the same going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Garages should be on the list of essential services, need to get something fixed now and they are all closed and it's not a job that can be fixed from a call out.

Garages should be on the list of essential services, need to get something fixed now and they are all closed and it's not a job that can be fixed from a call out.

I'd agree, but they just didn't lobby as well as the Law Society obviously.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Really, how'd you figure that?

That makes even less sense. You could drive 50 km to a secluded area to exercise where there's no chance of picking up or giving the virus to anyone.

On the other hand shopping is always going to have a risk of passing it on to someone, hence introducing it to a region not previously affected. That's why I'm limiting my shopping to my nearest supermarket even though it's a lot ****tier. I suggest you do the same, you're obligated to, you can't just go "shopping anywhere you like" in Ireland at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That makes even less sense. You could drive 50 km to a secluded area to exercise where there's no chance of picking up or giving the virus to anyone.

On the other hand shopping is always going to have a risk of passing it on to someone, hence introducing it to a region not previously affected. That's why I'm limiting my shopping to my nearest supermarket even though it's a lot ****tier. I suggest you do the same, you're obligated to, you can't just go "shopping anywhere you like" in Ireland at all.

He’s not figuring it, it’s what we have been told. The only restriction placed on distance is in relation to exercise.

The only specified restriction was on the exercise. Everything else is a blank canvas as not everyone has a shop on their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'll be driving 5km for shopping, going past other supermarkets en route - cos that's the one with click and collect slots available.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭arctictree

Local takeaways here still operating a delivery service. Is that an essential service?

eh the whole 2 km thing is just bizarre. I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period, not bumping into people outside my door, that is ridiculous. I might travel to my usual larger supermarket after all then especially since they have wider aisles. I'll have to think about it because you would think it could make the problem worse.

arctictree wrote: »
    Local takeaways here still operating a delivery service. Is that an essential service?

Sells food, so fills the criteria. Would have been an ideal time for the govt to try address the obesity problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

arctictree wrote: »

But they are all contactless. You pay by card and then they drop it on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sells food, so fills the criteria. Would have been an ideal time for the govt to try address the obesity problem.

No it wouldn't. I'm in the over 70 bracket so, for the first time ever, i ordered a takeaway as I had no option. I Can't go out for a meal and I wanted a break from cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Why not just drive to a wide empty space and walk around durrrr.

Because that was tried - last week-end - and it didn't work. Hance the change in rules.

Advertisement