Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

eh the whole 2 km thing is just bizarre. I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period, not bumping into people outside my door, that is ridiculous. I might travel to my usual larger supermarket after all then especially since they have wider aisles. I'll have to think about it because you would think it could make the problem worse.

It is. I can't cycle for more than 2k around here today, rural area, but I can cycle 32k tomorrow to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

eh the whole 2 km thing is just bizarre. I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period, not bumping into people outside my door, that is ridiculous. I might travel to my usual larger supermarket after all then especially since they have wider aisles. I'll have to think about it because you would think it could make the problem worse.

If everyone drives to a nice place to exercise, that defeats the purpose of the rule. Others will do the same and the virus will be spread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Xertz wrote: »
    The article in the Irish Times quoting Drew Harris seems to be causing a whole lot of confusion.

Apparently we are supposed to have evidence if where travelling more than 2km. So does that mean it applies to grocery shopping?

A lot of people don’t have a supermarket within 2km of them or may tend to use a particular one. In my case the only supermarket near by is absolutely terrible and basically a glorified bad Centra. There’s a SuperValu about 4.8km away which is where I normally shop

The government needs to be damn clear on this and stop mixing messages. It’s causing confusion..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-should-carry-evidence-of-travel-reasons-if-exceeding-2km-limit-1.4215164

So what do I bring? A set of shopping bags and a list as evidence?

I had an elderly relative asking if she could collect her prescriptions...

Again common sense applies. If you don’t have a supermarket within 2km then you will be permitted to shop at your nearest one. The gardai no doubt will ask you where you live and where you’re going and leave you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period

What's to stop everyone else having the same attitude?

That's why further restrictions had to be brought in, because people like you who can't bear to follow simple instructions.

I have great natural amenities all within 2km of my house and I can't use any of them now because they are all now closed due to the last two weeks of being mobbed by people not from the area.

I understand people don't like being told what they can and can't do but really it's small sacrifices to be made under the circumstances.

The Gardai are patrolling and stopping people at random (even here where I am in a small rural area) so you are running the risk of trouble for yourself unless you are out for one of the specified reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I thought it meant for exercise stay within 2 km of home as other things would be further away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Really, how'd you figure that?

It was clarified yesterday that the 2k is only for excercise. There is no limit on travel for shopping. At least for the moment. It might have been Simon Harris that confirmed that yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

arctictree wrote: »
    Local takeaways here still operating a delivery service. Is that an essential service?

Lots of healthcare staff use take aways when on nights. I’m sure gardai etc do too. I’m sure plenty of them might stop on the way home from work too, if they were too wrecked to cook. Truck drivers use take aways when on the road. Older people who aren’t great to cook probably use them if meals on wheels not available. Take aways aren’t essential for me, but they probably help others a lot. Off licences, probably less essential, imho, but others might say otherwise.

arctictree wrote:
    Local takeaways here still operating a delivery service. Is that an essential service?

Eating is essential imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone else noticed people who are over 70 still out met a few today its puzzling I read somewhere that Simon Harris said the gardai should accompany them home if they are out.

Yes, I was out but stayed withing the two-kilometer limit.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed people who are over 70 still out met a few today its puzzling I read somewhere that Simon Harris said the gardai should accompany them home if they are out.

How do you know that they’re over 70?

• Advertisement

Saw quite a few out and about over last week or so and more today, stopping for their usual chats with their equally elderly counterparts no social distancing apparent for them.

They either don't believe they are at risk or are completely oblivious/do not care.

Plenty ranting about teens and kids the last while but nobody dares mention all the old folk flouting the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

Is it true that businesses have until 9pm tomorrow to wind up if they are sonsidered non-essential?

Cocooning was the phrase used, and yet my two elderly neighbours, both in their 80s, headed out for a drive.
    They phoned to see if we wanted anything from the shops.
    When I said, 'it's not really advisable to go out for a drive', the reply was, 'want to give the car a run so the battery doesn't go flat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Cocooning was the phrase used, and yet my two elderly neighbours, both in their 80s, headed out for a drive.
    They phoned to see if we wanted anything from the shops.
    When I said, 'it's not really advisable to go out for a drive', the reply was, 'want to give the car a run so the battery doesn't go flat'.

You can start the car up and not move it.
    Dozy pair.

You can start the car up and not move it.
    Dozy pair.
    I know that, but you just can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I know that, but you just can't win.

It's their funeral, maybe literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

It's their funeral, maybe literally.

If it were only that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am not condemning them but its very odd, plus if I was in that age group and asked to stay in I would because I would be mortified to been seen out or to be accompanied home by the gardai.

mariaalice wrote:

They are guidelines for the over 70s at the moment. Most will follow the advice. My own mother in her mid 80s has been self isolating for three weeks now. She is scared stiff.

Over 70s also need exercise.

Is it true that businesses have until 9pm tomorrow to wind up if they are sonsidered non-essential?

No. They had to close midnight Last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period

I hope the guards pull you up for it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You are both wrong.

There will be a grace period until 6pm on Monday 30 March for people who need to make necessary arrangements to wind down their activities in an orderly way. This should however be done in a way that minimises travel and personal interaction as much as possible.

source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They are guidelines for the over 70s at the moment. Most will follow the advice. My own mother in her mid 80s has been self isolating for three weeks now. She is scared stiff.

Over 70s also need exercise.

Many over 70s need to exercise as arthritic joints can seize up . I think a potter up a quiet road or lane is fine .

I don't think they had the full list on Friday. There is an extension I believe for tomorrow.

sammyjo90 wrote:
    You are both wrong.

Happy to be corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

For those who feel the need and understand the risks:: Then a wee social distancing walk for the over 70s alone is no harm at-all IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Many over 70s need to exercise as arthritic joints can seize up . I think a potter up a quiet road or lane is fine .

It doesn’t matter what you think that’s against the rules set out.

If people would just stick to the rules and stop making up amendments this would go allot easier on everyone

Penfailed wrote: »
    I hope the guards pull you up for it.

They face a fine of €2,500 or up to six months in jail. That's if they're not immediately 'detained'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Are there any checks on incoming flights landing at Irish Airports.

A simple temperature check and questionnaire,

fill out a form about their movements and had they been in contact with people who have now tested positive where they have embarked from

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Anyone know a manufacturing plant that falls outside the allowed categories of essential services and has to close?

Advertisement