Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

eh the whole 2 km thing is just bizarre. I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period.

The rules apply to everyone except you.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How do you know that they’re over 70?

Deciding if someone was 70 maybe, but one man we saw I would say last saw 70s at least 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You can start the car up and not move it.
    Dozy pair.

If the car is a modern one it may need a drive to charge battery as running it in drive may be not enough + engine would need a good burn to clear the crap out of egr and other things.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

_Brian wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter what you think that’s against the rules set out.

If people would just stick to the rules and stop making up amendments this would go allot easier on everyone

Look i am not over 70 I just have empathy with anyone with arthritis . I didn’t say what I think should be law . But walking up your own lane with not a soul in sight can’t be that bad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period
    Penfailed wrote: »
    I hope the guards pull you up for it.

They probably won't because the major Garda operation is due to end tomorrow morning at 7am, having hopefully done its job. But - if lots of selfish individuals have a similar idea - they'll be left with no choice but to start up again and will make life very difficult for anyone who legitimately needs to get around.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    If the car is a modern one it may need a drive to charge battery as running it in drive may be not enough + engine would need a good burn to clear the crap out of egr and other things.:eek:

We don't know what sort of car it is and tbh I couldnt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Garages should be on the list of essential services, need to get something fixed now and they are all closed and it's not a job that can be fixed from a call out.

Garages should be allowed do repairs on vehicles for workers in essential services in an emergency. Otherwise no need to be open. If they were open to the general public many would take it as a perfect opportunity to get their car serviced or do some repairs when they don't need the car so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What's to stop everyone else having the same attitude?

That's why further restrictions had to be brought in, because people like you who can't bear to follow simple instructions.

I have great natural amenities all within 2km of my house and I can't use any of them now because they are all now closed due to the last two weeks of being mobbed by people not from the area.

I understand people don't like being told what they can and can't do but really it's small sacrifices to be made under the circumstances.

The Gardai are patrolling and stopping people at random (even here where I am in a small rural area) so you are running the risk of trouble for yourself unless you are out for one of the specified reasons.

I thought I was clear in that I'm not talking about a beach or park, I'm talking about some random place where there is virtually noone within miles and noone will come within 10 metres. Some shopping centres ironically enough would fit this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Garages should be allowed do repairs on vehicles for workers in essential services in an emergency. Otherwise no need to be open. If they were open to the general public many would take it as a perfect opportunity to get their car serviced or do some repairs when they don't need the car so much.

Probably more essential than solicitors, who are in fact allowed stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

faceman wrote: »
    Again common sense applies. If you don’t have a supermarket within 2km then you will be permitted to shop at your nearest one. The gardai no doubt will ask you where you live and where you’re going and leave you go.

Well - they've managed to give two completely contradictory messages. One from the Government and one from the Gardai.

The Government message was that if you were driving to go shopping for food/pharmacy etc the 2km thing did not apply.
    The Garda message is the opposite.

So which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Fann Linn wrote: »

I've seen this referred to. Do we have a reliable source?

The list says:
    accountancy, legal and insurance services necessary to support essential services and vulnerable people

They can hardly all claim to be in the category of supplying "services necessary to support essential services and vulnerable people."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've seen this referred to. Do we have a reliable source?

The list says:

They can hardly all claim to be in the category of supplying "services necessary to support essential services and vulnerable people."

Reported in this mornings Sunday Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I thought I was clear in that I'm not talking about a beach or park, I'm talking about some random place where there is virtually noone within miles and noone will come within 10 metres. Some shopping centre outskirts ironically enough would fit this now. There is enough room for everyone to have this attitude.

Doesn't matter where you are going.. We could all do the same, block up the roads etc. Many would love to go for a cycle and no matter what level of cycling you are, you would be many 10s of KM over (most runners find 2km restrictive!).

Thankfully tho,, most people are respecting this. Hopefully you will too, but if not, good luck to you, but don't come back to me with a list of justifications. The powers that be have decided on the rules, and that is it. Suck it up or don't but no point telling us all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Penfailed wrote: »
    I hope the guards pull you up for it.

It puzzles me why these individuals think they are special and dont need to follow guidelines set in place, not to protect themselves but those around them Follow the guidelines 2km radius brief exercise from your home base
    I really dont need you invading the space of my rural elderly relatives Look at the bigger picture !

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Fann Linn wrote: »

One of my bulbs went down this evening will there be anyone open to replace it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I thought I was clear in that I'm not talking about a beach or park, I'm talking about some random place where there is virtually noone within miles and noone will come within 10 metres. Some shopping centre outskirts ironically enough would fit this now. There is enough room for everyone to have this attitude.

We'll see in two weeks time when there's armed patrols keeping everyone in their homes because of selfish twats who think they deserve special treatment because the rules for some reason don't apply to them.

We'll have this attitude to thank for the fact that shortly we won't even be able to have 2km to exercise and clear the head.

Why is it that you think you are exempt from what the majority of the country accepts as necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Interesting if the scaremongers are man/woman enough to admit they were wrong & their command of the English languish needs some improvement.

:pac::pac::pac:

People were just going on what Leo said on Friday night:)

They probably won't because the major Garda operation is due to end tomorrow morning at 7am, having hopefully done its job. But - if lots of selfish individuals have a similar idea - they'll be left with no choice but to start up again and will make life very difficult for anyone who legitimately needs to get around.

This x 1000.

Hopefully every entitled prick isn't out cycling, running or driving aimlessly although I have my doubts. We will end up with the army on streets for the failure to self police.

This x 1000.

Hopefully every entitled prick isn't out cycling, running or driving aimlessly although I have my doubts. We will end up with the army on streets for the failure to self police.

I've been out driving for between 8 and 10 hours a day for most of the last week, including yesterday (don't worry, it's my job) and the vast majority of people are well capable of self-policing. Barely a car on the roads last night or Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

so the off licences are still open - how are they critical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

sporina wrote: »

Maybe it would be more critical if they were closed?

sporina wrote: »

They take some of the heat off the supermarkets. Also, a lot of people are addicted to alcohol and would probably turn to hand sanitiser. Prohibition is never a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

People were just going on what Leo said on Friday night

No. People were very selective in what part of the speach they listened to. The entire speach was about different household /family units not mixing. If you are out without your family unit then you have to exercise alone. You can bring your kids but he didn't exclude other family members. For whatever reason people read into it that only one parent could bring out the children even though he never said only one person. A few seconds later he said everyone was banned from being in groups in public or private except family and household hubs. Obviously this means that family /household hubs can form in groups inside their homes and out of the home. The government radio add backed this up saying family /household hubs can excercise together. As yet there is no limit on the amount of people from a family /household that can excercise together

Some posters dogidly focused on one sentence. Had they taken the whole spech in they would have understood what Leo was saying. We didn't make it up. The rules are exactly as we said they were from Saturday night. We either totally understood Leo's message or we have the ability to see into the future.

I've been out driving for between 8 and 10 hours a day for most of the last week, including yesterday (don't worry, it's my job) and the vast majority of people are well capable of self-policing. Barely a car on the roads last night or Friday night.

A Garda FB page showed several cyclists photographed chancing their arms and getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

No. People were very selective in what part of the speach they listened to.....
    Some posters dogidly focused on one sentence.

No, not true, none of the published information on either the main government page or detailed HSE advice matched your interpretation prior to Sunday afternoon.
    We didn't make it up. The rules are exactly as we said they were from Saturday night.

Again, not true: the wording of the published HSE guidance was changed at 3:30 on Sunday afternoon.

I don't know why you're so intent on proving you were "right"; the issue as I see it is that people should follow the published rules rather than invent their own or use "common sense". The rules changed, so accept it and move on.

A Garda FB page showed several cyclists photographed chancing their arms and getting caught.

A handful of cyclists chanced their arms on the first day. Even the Garda Commissioner said that the vast, vast majority of citizens are compliant. Which bodes well for the next two (or whatever) weeks. Hopefully it'll mean that their operation will wind down in the morning, as planned, and there won't be any need for checkpoints all over the place. I have to admit, I've found that particularly unsettling over the last few days.

A handful of cyclists chanced their arms on the first day. Even the Garda Commissioner said that the vast, vast majority of citizens are compliant. Which bodes well for the next two (or whatever) weeks. Hopefully it'll mean that their operation will wind down in the morning, as planned, and there won't be any need for checkpoints all over the place. I have to admit, I've found that particularly unsettling over the last few days.

Unfortunately it will only get more stringent in terms of checkpoints and patrols, that was only the start.

Sadly its seems that its somewhat necessary really with the attitude of those cyclists today and others who have posted here too.

Me feiners will make sure we lose whatever last bit of freedom we have left.

Unfortunately it will only get more stringent in terms of checkpoints and patrols, that was only the start.

Sadly its seems that its somewhat necessary really with the attitude of those cyclists today and others who have posted here too.

Me feiners will make sure we lose whatever last bit of freedom we have left.

The Garda operation (i.e the checkpoints) ends in six hours. The actual penalties might get more stringent, but the policing is likely to be more low-profile. They seem satisfied that it did its job and sent the message out effectively and with a relatively light touch. A tiny number of people acted the bollocks because they thought they could, but most people are compliant. The evidence is on the streets. Barely a car on the roads tonight.

The Garda operation (i.e the checkpoints) ends in six hours. The actual penalties might get more stringent, but the policing is likely to be more low-profile. They seem satisfied that it did its job and sent the message out effectively and with a relatively light touch. A tiny number of people acted the bollocks because they thought they could, but most people are compliant. The evidence is on the streets. Barely a car on the roads tonight.

Trust me, the policing of this has only just started.

Most people are following the rules, we've been following them here ourselves since the schools closed and well before the announcement on Friday night.

To keep any semblance of control and to keep people and society as a whole peacefully quarantined there will be patrols and checkpoints for the foreseeable, its a softly softly approach similar to the differing degrees of lockdown.

Slowly introduced until before you know it we cannot do anything, we become used to it gradually and it avoids panic (mostly) and civil unrest.

If I told you in January that the entire country would be more or less shut down and we would be barely be allowed to leave our homes after homeschooling children and working from home all day you probably would have thought I was mad.

If I told you that by mid April we will have army and armed garda patrols as a normal fixture in our community would you think it was that far fetched?

• Advertisement

Trust me, the policing of this has only just started.

Most people are following the rules, we've been following them here ourselves since the schools closed and well before the announcement on Friday night.

To keep any semblance of control and to keep people and society as a whole peacefully quarantined there will be patrols and checkpoints for the foreseeable, its a softly softly approach similar to the differing degrees of lockdown.

Slowly introduced until before you know it we cannot do anything, it avoids panic (mostly) and civil unrest.

The guards will continue to be extremely visible, but the checkpoints will be scaled down unless they're needed again. I was told that by a guard who stopped me last night. There are so few cars on the road, they're more likely to start randomly pulling people in if they suspect they're breaking the rules.

I wish there was some kind of 'official' sticker that people working in essential services could put on their cars for the duration of the restrictions. Would save the guards a lot of time and work. And I'd get to work a bit quicker too.

Advertisement