Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

There are so few cars on the road, they're more likely to start randomly pulling people in if they suspect they're breaking the rules.

Happening already, following people in squad cars today in my area.

Saw people in cars being pulled over as well as pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Regarding the factory above, definitely contact the HSE via your local environmental health office, or if you’re in need of help perhaps talk to some of your local TDs and explain what’s going on. They would at least have an ability to talk to the right agencies for you if it’s something you’re not able to do yourself or you don’t know how.

That isn’t good enough and could literally kill people.

This is a food safety authority link, but it gives you the contact details for each HSE environmental health office in Ireland : https://www.fsai.ie/make_a_complaint/contact_details_for_hse.html who would be the same people you need to speak to in this context too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No, not true, none of the published information on either the main government page or detailed HSE advice matched your interpretation prior to Sunday afternoon.

Again, not true: the wording of the published HSE guidance was changed at 3:30 on Sunday afternoon.

I don't know why you're so intent on proving you were "right"; the issue as I see it is that people should follow the published rules rather than invent their own or use "common sense". The rules changed, so accept it and move on.

The attached was published on Saturday morning. I don't know why you're so intent on proving you were "right"...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The guards will continue to be extremely visible, but the checkpoints will be scaled down unless they're needed again. I was told that by a guard who stopped me last night. There are so few cars on the road, they're more likely to start randomly pulling people in if they suspect they're breaking the rules.

I wish there was some kind of 'official' sticker that people working in essential services could put on their cars for the duration of the restrictions. Would save the guards a lot of time and work. And I'd get to work a bit quicker too.

Gees just carry a letter or work ID like?
    Who is going to print and distribute several thousand stickers and make sure the right people get them? Can't click your fingers and get that done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We didn't make it up. The rules are exactly as we said they were from Saturday night. We either totally understood Leo's message or we have the ability to see into the future.

Sleeper12 it's still not all that clear.

Gov.ie last night updated their online material to use the clearer "exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family" which the HSE had been using. Part of the HSE advice also still shows this - "You can still go outside to exercise briefly by yourself".

The alternative HSE wording, exercise "only with members of your own household", isn't actually contrary to this.

There are mixed messages on the advice, otherwise it wouldn't be coming up on several forums here. Some of us just err on the side of the more conservative interpretation.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A few seconds later he said everyone was banned from being in groups in public or private except family and household hubs. Obviously this means that family /household hubs can form in groups inside their homes and out of the home.

Direction: Put an individual triangle in the bucket.
    Later: No other shapes can be put in the bucket.
    Sleeper12: There is clearly no limit to the number of triangles that can be put in the bucket.

Lets just err on the side of caution - keep safe and healthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Penfailed wrote: »
    The attached was published on Saturday morning. I don't know why you're so intent on proving you were "right"...

I'm not - I'm commenting on someone else's need to do the same.

You seem to suffer from the same need.

As I said, time to move on.

I'm not - I'm commenting on someone else's need to do the same.

You seem to suffer from the same need.

As I said, time to move on.

Please do. Thanks in advance.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Xertz wrote: »
    Well - they've managed to give two completely contradictory messages. One from the Government and one from the Gardai.

The Government message was that if you were driving to go shopping for food/pharmacy etc the 2km thing did not apply.
    The Garda message is the opposite.

So which is it?

Do you really think a situation is going to play out where the gardai are going to prevent people getting to their closest supermarket because it’s outside a 2km radius? lol

Yeah they’ll send people home to starve to death instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

I have just heard a doctor from UHC on RTE radio saying over 70s must remain at home for two weeks and not go out. To me this is confusing, ie, are we allowed to go out and shop or are we not? I know no one who can physically help me get shopping in because the few acquaintancesI do have are also over 70. The somewhat sarcastic replies I received when previously asking this question a day ago led me to give up trying to get an answer but honestly I am none the wiser. Is it therefore a choice between breaking the law or starving?

Xertz wrote: »
    The Government message was that if you were driving to go shopping for food/pharmacy etc the 2km thing did not apply.
    The Garda message is the opposite.

So which is it?

Is it the opposite? I live further than 2km from a shop and a pharmacy. Of course it doesn't apply.

• Advertisement

I have just heard a doctor from UHC on RTE radio saying over 70s must remain at home for two weeks and not go out. To me this is confusing, ie, are we allowed to go out and shop or are we not? I know no one who can physically help me get shopping in because the few acquaintancesI do have are also over 70. The somewhat sarcastic replies I received when previously asking this question a day ago led me to give up trying to get an answer but honestly I am none the wiser. Is it therefore a choice between breaking the law or starving?

You are supposed to be self-isolating. You are not supposed to be leaving the house as you are in the most at risk category if you contract the virus. Most supermarkets are doing delivery services. There are other helplines set up to assist in this. If you have exhausted all other avenues, THEN, you can go shopping as you have no alternative. If you want, phone your local Garda station to ask for their opinion.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Look i am not over 70 I just have empathy with anyone with arthritis . I didn’t say what I think should be law . But walking up your own lane with not a soul in sight can’t be that bad .

Only if the lane is your private driveway. “ although you have been asked to stay at home it is important you keep yourself mobile by getting up and moving around as much as possible. If you have a garden or backyard, go out and get some fresh air but please keep away from other people including neighbours. Keeping a distance of at least 1 metre but where possible 2 metres (or 6.5 feet) from other people is recommended.“ https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/vulnerablegroupsguidance/COVID-19%20Guidance%20for%20extremely%20medically%20vulnerable%20V1.pdf

These measures are for the over 70’s best interest. It might save their lives.

Please read this https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/vulnerablegroupsguidance/COVID-19%20Guidance%20for%20extremely%20medically%20vulnerable%20V1.pdf

If you are stuck for supplies, most GAA clubs have set up volunteer groups to deliver goods to people like yourself. If you’re on social media, have a look at local GAA clubs Facebook page or your local community page. You could also contact your county councilors or even the Gardai, local shops or pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You’re not supposed to go shopping. Phone your local Garda station, if you don’t have a neighbour or family member, or if one of your acquaintances doesn’t have an adult child etc who could help you out. I’ve seen posts on Facebook of gardai collecting prescriptions etc.
    If your tech savvy and on boards, go on to Tesco or SuperValu website now and book the next online delivery slot they have available, so that this isn’t a long term problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

jlm29 wrote: »
    You’re not supposed to go shopping. Phone your local Garda station, if you don’t have a neighbour or family member, or if one of your acquaintances doesn’t have an adult child etc who could help you out. I’ve seen posts on Facebook of gardai collecting prescriptions etc.
    If your tech savvy and on boards, go on to Tesco or SuperValu website now and book the next online delivery slot they have available, so that this isn’t a long term problem

Actually scratch that. It’ll probably be Christmas before you can book a slot. Keep an eye though, a lot of places are in the process of hiring more drivers to get more slots. Click and collect might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Are there any volunteering groups for helping out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Are taxis allowed to operate with these new restrictions ?

TheChizler wrote: »

That’s stopped for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That’s stopped for now.

Ah, missed the main page, the rest of the site was still functional up to very recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I don't know anyone locally, but I would happily do a shop for someone stuck in. I would bring groceries home, wipe them down, repack etc and stick to safe practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No, you are not supposed to go out, staying in means exactly that. The government should have had a better plan for this. However in every district there are volunteers delivering food from shops,

I'd suggest calling your shop or checking with residents associations etc.

If you drive then some shops will bring the box out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

eh the whole 2 km thing is just bizarre. I'm going to drive several miles to a place to exercise period, not bumping into people outside my door, that is ridiculous. I might travel to my usual larger supermarket after all then especially since they have wider aisles. I'll have to think about it because you would think it could make the problem worse.

its about reducing risk - lord forbid when driving to where ever you wanna go for exercise, you have a crash - and need the paramedics to come out to you - if that happens then the social distancing rule will have to be broken between you and them - further increasing risk of spreading the virus.. etc

yes people can travel for work - but only if the work is permitted..

its about reducing risk and being responsible..

its 2 weeks - be sensible and considerate and stick within your 2km limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

No, you are not supposed to go out, staying in means exactly that. The government should have had a better plan for this. However in every district there are volunteers delivering food from shops,

I'd suggest calling your shop or checking with residents associations etc.

If you drive then some shops will bring the box out to you.

If it’s of any help I think those new guards brought in are helping out in the community perhaps they could pick up your shopping or else you could try to get a supermarket delivery. You could also ring your local td for advice someone has to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

citysights wrote: »
    If it’s of any help I think those new guards brought in are helping out in the community perhaps they could pick up your shopping or else you could try to get a supermarket delivery. You could also ring your local td for advice someone has to help you.

Sorry this reply was meant for Rusty the athelete.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Please do ring the guards, or check out local volunteer groups. As has been mentioned, upthread, I have seen photos of guards shopping for people, and calling to check on them, obviously while observing social distancing.

There is help out there. I believe that delivery slots are heavily booked for the bigger supermarkets, but I know in some areas, smaller shops who wouldn't normally do deliveries, are now doing them.

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I noticed they hadnt closed the car parks attached to Sandymount Strand over the weekend. If you have to drive to it you probably live more than 2K away, if you are local you would be fine walking there

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

sporina wrote: »
    its about reducing risk - lord forbid when driving to where ever you wanna go for exercise, you have a crash - and need the paramedics to come out to you - if that happens then the social distancing rule will have to be broken between you and them - further increasing risk of spreading the virus.. etc

yes people can travel for work - but only if the work is permitted..

its about reducing risk and being responsible..

its 2 weeks - be sensible and considerate and stick within your 2km limit

I'm afraid this will be for an lot more than 2 weeks , no other country has done it for just 2 weeks.

I'm afraid this will be for an lot more than 2 weeks , no other country has done it for just 2 weeks.

It's easier to mentally break it down into smaller chunks. Two weeks now...and then another two weeks...and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

if the same applies after 2 weeks then so be it...

but we can only go with what we know NOW..

take care all and be responsible - we all have to do things a little differently now..

SOLIDARITY!!!

Advertisement