Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

While I understand of course that we have been only told 2 weeks, we would be very naive to think this will end in 2 weeks. Mentally I find it easier to prepare in my head now. A lot of people like certainty. I got a shock on Saturday night when Leo announced the new measures starting at midnight. I would hate to be thinking in my head ah sure this is only for 2 weeks then I can go back to my hikes and walks. I know the chances of that happening are zero.

Its easier for some people to plan upfront. We are not children. While I absolutely know and understand this is all the information we have been given at the moment my point was no other country has shut own for just 2 weeks .
    I have friends in France and Spain - they're locked down for 6 weeks, I have family in Italy their lockdown is indefinite. They were told this from the beginning. The 2 week thing is treating us like children. This is serious and we need to deal with it head on and know where we stand instead of being drip fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The 2 week thing is treating us like children. This is serious and we need to deal with it head on and know where we stand instead of being drip fed.

I think the last few weeks of panic buying and flocking to tourist areas has shown that the nation really is like a bunch of children.

It sucks for anyone who has taken it seriously, but thats the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

kenmm wrote: »
    I think the last few weeks of panic buying and flocking to tourist areas has shown that the nation really is like a bunch of children.

It sucks for anyone who has taken it seriously, but thats the world we live in.

I figure at any given time that 90% of people are helpful and kind and understanding .The other 10% are arseholes and always will be and the 90% always suffer because of them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I figure at any given time that 90% of people are helpful and kind and understanding .The other 10% are arseholes and always will be and the 90% always suffer because of them .

yep - the majority I see are (now at least) doing the right thing. There was some confusion at the start, but not necessarily borne out of selfishness.

A lot of people have what I think of as slight selfishness - i.e. making just *one more* trip to do something borderline essential.. then there are the minority who either don't give a fu(k, don't understand the need or just want to carry on as normal.. It's this latter group that have made things worse all round (i.e. more pressure on the cops, more time wasted in making announcements that shouldn't have to be and ultimately more strain on the health systems..)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Again, not true: the wording of the published HSE guidance was changed at 3:30 on Sunday afternoon.

Argue all you want. HSE poster Saturday morning ruled out the one parent with kids nonsense and the government add running on the radio from 7am Sunday, that I know of, ruled out the same nonsense

It was very clear on the Friday night that family /household units were allowed to gather in groups in public and private. It's in the speach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As yet there is no limit on the amount of people from a family /household that can excercise together
    I thought it was very clear that it was 1 adult and children. I figured the reason for this would be ease of policing, stops 2 adults with children possibly from different households going walking together. Or 2 adults going walking by themselves claiming they are from the same house. I can see a park from my back window and there are loads of people walking in pairs, adults of all ages.

Out my front window I have seen plenty of over 70s walking about.

The HSE then had a poster up saying "people from the same household", but the gov.ie website was updated which made it even more clear to me they only meant 1 adult and children.

the first I saw on the gov site said this
    for brief individual exercise - within 2 kilometres of your house. (You can bring children but must keep 2 metres away from others for social distancing)

Then this was the updated one
    exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people

To me this was making it clear that you could not be with your spouse, it would have been very easy to word it to include spouse or other adults from the household, I do not think it was an oversight. I can understand why people thing WTF? but I reckon it is due to the policing bit I mentioned.

I doubt any genuine family will be pulled up on it either but did see a guy on twitter say he was walking with his wife and asked a garda who confirmed it was 1 adult at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

All that's clear on that one is that it's still unclear. Would be nice to get it clarified either way but it's not that important, I'm sure they've bigger problems to be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt any genuine family will be pulled up on it either but did see a guy on twitter say he was walking with his wife and asked a garda who confirmed it was 1 adult at a time.

I saw a fella on Twitter say that he was walking with his wife and asked a guard. He said it was grand as they were a family group...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    All that's clear on that one is that it's still unclear. Would be nice to get it clarified either way but it's not that important, I'm sure they've bigger problems to be dealing with.

It WAS clarified. Numerous times. What do you not understand and we’ll go through it again. Word by word.

They have clarified the guidance a bit further now on Gov.ie...

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6973bc-daily-briefing-on-the-governments-response-to-covid-19-monday-30-mar/
    Parks, gardens and other open spaces remain open to people to continue to look after their physical health by taking exercise as individuals or with their children.

• Advertisement

You mean this? “ However, please remember the following:

stay local, No more than 2 kilometres from home – outdoor amenities are only open to local visitors and carparks at these sites are closed
    keep your distance – remember to stay 2 metres away from others at all times, unless they are in your household
    stay within your own household group

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It WAS clarified. Numerous times. What do you not understand and we’ll go through it again. Word by word.
    Jesus, please don't :eek:

You mean this?remember to stay 2 metres away from others at all times, unless they are in your household
    stay within your own household group

Yes - an adult with their children are the household group.

Maryanne84, it's not crystal clear either way, breath and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Argue all you want. HSE poster Saturday morning ruled out the one parent with kids nonsense and the government add running on the radio from 7am Sunday, that I know of, ruled out the same nonsense

It was very clear on the Friday night that family /household units were allowed to gather in groups in public and private. It's in the speach

Oh, please let it go!

Or Two adults and their children.
    Or a parent and their adult children, their children’s partners and offspring.
    Or four (Or more/less) unrelated adults sharing a house.
    Or any combination of the above.
    All household groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Oh, please let it go!

I was quoting you!!!

Talk about calling the kettle black! :pac::pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

I was quoting you!!!

Talk about calling the kettle black! :pac::pac::D:D:D

As I said: let it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

While I understand of course that we have been only told 2 weeks, we would be very naive to think this will end in 2 weeks. Mentally I find it easier to prepare in my head now. A lot of people like certainty. I got a shock on Saturday night when Leo announced the new measures starting at midnight. I would hate to be thinking in my head ah sure this is only for 2 weeks then I can go back to my hikes and walks. I know the chances of that happening are zero.

Its easier for some people to plan upfront. We are not children. While I absolutely know and understand this is all the information we have been given at the moment my point was no other country has shut own for just 2 weeks .
    I have friends in France and Spain - they're locked down for 6 weeks, I have family in Italy their lockdown is indefinite. They were told this from the beginning. The 2 week thing is treating us like children. This is serious and we need to deal with it head on and know where we stand instead of being drip fed.

if it helps you then think of it as beyond 2 weeks.. your not harming anyone.. some might prefer to stay in the now.. some of my friends are quite overwhelmed by the whole thing.. so staying in the now is important for them..
    no harm which ever way one wishes to see it - 2 weeks or 2 months..
    but staying within the 2km for exercise - we can all do that..
    stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

People are calling it "nonsense", and that is part of the problem, if they cannot see the sense behind the rule they presume it should not be the law.

I have explained the "sense" behind the rule, ease of policing. I expect to see a surge of groups of non-identical quadruplet young lads drinking cans in the park near me. ;) its already full of pairs of adults with no kids. Strange amount of co-habiting females in my area.

I am still in 2 minds about what is right, but find it strange that if they did allow 2 adults why did they not explicit say that, and seemingly go out of their way to say otherwise.

If people can be fined surely it has to be written in explicit legalistic language somewhere. I would put more trust in the gov.ie wording more than a speech, or a graphic poster which might have been paraphrased (I work in a technical job and often have graphic designers and marketing people change wording thinking it is benign).

New bills can be seen here,

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/

If it is the law of no 2 adults then I am certain gardai will sensibly turn a blind eye to parents with kids, just like they turn a blind eye to people illegally crossing a road on a red pedestrian light with no car in sight. Most gardai know why the law is in place and apply it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I think whether or not a cohabiting couple (or other cohabiting adults) can be out together exercising is incredibly unclear. I'd hope that it's clarified in this evening's briefing at 19:00.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    I think whether or not a cohabiting couple (or other cohabiting adults) can be out together exercising is incredibly unclear. I'd hope that it's clarified in this evening's briefing at 19:00.

Very clear. “ Q: I run with a friend and we have been observing physical distancing protocol. Can I continue to do this?

A: No. The new rules say we should only exercise with those from the same household.“

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0328/1127002-coronavirus-2km-limit/

Parents are allowed to include children in their exercise and bring the dog for a walk. Just remember to respect the people around you and stay 2m clear of anyone from outside your household.” https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/website-shows-you-how-far-you-can-roam-from-home-without-breaking-covid-19-restrictions-990715.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I give up now.

Under 70 go out alone no more than 2k distance for a walk etc. Can go further to shop or work or deliver stuff to elderly relatives. One parent at a time can bring kids out. That's the spirit of it to me anyway. But I don't see anything wrong with both parents +kids getting out together either. It's all down to common sense.

Over 70 stay home.

Talk about every tom dick and harriet trying to bend the rules to suit themselves.

Very clear. “ Q: I run with a friend and we have been observing physical distancing protocol. Can I continue to do this?

A: No. The new rules say we should only exercise with those from the same household.“

Not clear at all. I'd like specific clarity from a government minister/the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Not clear at all. I'd like specific clarity from a government minister/the Taoiseach.

Cohabiting means by definition that you live in the same household as it implies living together.

The Taoiseach has better things to be doing, I expect.

Cohabiting means by definition that you live in the same household as it implies living together.

The Taoiseach has better things to be doing, I expect.

The sources quoted are journalists' interpretations... Not exactly helping to clarify. Gov.ie states "individual personal exercise" - so yes it needs official clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

The sources quoted are journalists' interpretations... Not exactly helping to clarify. Gov.ie states "individual personal exercise" - so yes it needs official clarification.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1244386095011414022?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Fair play MugsGame!

At last. The penny has finally dropped.

Advertisement