Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

At last. The penny has finally dropped.

People just want clarification, not a continuous rumour mill. No need for snide comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

At last. The penny has finally dropped.

We're searching for clarification on continued mixed messages coming out on the restrictions. That's what this thread is for, questions on the restrictions.

The messaging is still very mixed but I'll go with the big man Simon on this for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok maybe silly question.
    Is it ok for two people to go to the shop together? Same household.
    I have heard Tesco are really only letting in one person and one trolley at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok maybe silly question.
    I have heard Tesco are really only letting in one person and one trolley at a time.

Why would you need two people? (I'm aware there may be legit reasons)

The whole idea is to keep as many people as possible in their houses for as much time as possible, with outings kept to an absolute minimum. So if 1 can do it, stick to 1.

Ok maybe silly question.

They’re not stopping two from shopping together, just requesting that only one of them enters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok maybe silly question.

Yeah I've heard local supermarket is only letting one in at a time, so couple not allowed to enter together... In theory nothing to stop them being the next person in.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard local supermarket is only letting one in at a time, so couple not allowed to enter together... In theory nothing to stop them being the next person in.

Why would anyone want to do that?

This is NOT a game to see how we can get round the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why would you need two people? (I'm aware there may be legit reasons)

The whole idea is to keep as many people as possible in their houses for as much time as possible, with outings kept to an absolute minimum. So if 1 can do it, stick to 1.
    Okie dokie. One it is.
    It's more so that he doesn't forget half the shopping. But make sure he sticks to the list.

Does anyone know are they limiting numbers going into Aldi and lidl? Not so the two of us can go in...more so that the shop isn't too packed when he goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Are the over 70's allowed out for a walk if it's within a 2km radius of their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are the over 70's allowed out for a walk if it's within a 2km radius of their home?

No, not for a walk, not for a chat, not for a game of darts etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't care about whether or not your allowed to go for a walk with your other half. what I cannot understand is why you would want to . bar security etc its a break you want from the sae people. if both go together then there is no break but if each go for 30min separately and at different times then its 60 min break

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

enda1 wrote: »
    No need for snide comments
    especially when there is very good reason why there would be a ban on 2 adults being out together. I think the penny has still not dropped with many about why this is the case, plenty here seem to not see any sense behind it -and are being unnecessarily condescending about it due to this.

I hope it is cleared up on the official website. Just 20mins ago I saw what I guess was a man & wife walking a dog in the park who were 2m+ from one another, definitely together as the dog stopped and both stopped keeping distance. While I suspect the majority of the other pairs were not from the same house.

As Gardai said people going to work are expected to bring letters and ID, so if 2-4 adults are allowed out I wonder if this will be expected of people in houses -to carry ID and a utility letter with address or something. I would prefer to see somebody driving 2.5km to walk in a park on their own than 2-4 adults from different houses outside nattering away while walking.
    Ok maybe silly question.
    I was in tesco and a man came in with what I presume was his son of about 15 years of age (i.e. old enough that he probably could have been left at home alone or in the car, he looked to be of sound mind). Nothing was said to him by a woman there who appeared to be policing things. The shop was very empty though & the vast majority were on their own in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yes, they are advised to stay at home or risk death.

Its their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Does anyone know are they limiting numbers going into Aldi and lidl? Not so the two of us can go in...more so that the shop isn't too packed when he goes in.

Lidl are limiting numbers as are Tesco and Dunnes. I’d imagine Aldi also are.
    Can’t say if they’re only letting one in but the que for Tesco only had people in ones and shop was very quiet inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in tesco and a man came in with what I presume was his son of about 15 years of age (i.e. old enough that he probably could have been left at home alone or in the car, he looked to be of sound mind). Nothing was said to him by a woman there who appeared to be policing things. The shop was very empty though & the vast majority were on their own in the shop.

They probably go a bit easy on people with kids as its probably preferable they stay with the adult or whatever.

For those who want to go with their partners (i.e. two adults): think it through. There is a maximum limit of people allowed in the shop to allow appropriate distancing. Don't be selfish and let others in, as there is a lot of demand. If your partner is hopeless at doing the shop, then you go or give him/her a decent list. There is no real need at all for two adults from the same house to go in together.

Every action we take we need to consider if its really necessary and what impact it will have. If everyone shopped as a couple, how much slower would it be?
    If everyone drove to their favourite park, how much busier would it be etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Genuine question, do people think I will get any hassle dropping up to a parcel motel about 6km away? Or driving across town to collect some IT equipment needed for working from home? I haven't been out yet so I don't know what the restrictions are really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

DopeTech wrote: »
    Genuine question, do people think I will get any hassle dropping up to a parcel motel about 6km away? Or driving across town to collect some IT equipment needed for working from home? I haven't been out yet so I don't know what the restrictions are really like.

The chances are you won’t be checked. Just be honest. I *have* to get something to work at home. I have to pick a parcel up.

Shops and garages are open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don't care about whether or not your allowed to go for a walk with your other half. what I cannot understand is why you would want to . bar security etc its a break you want from the sae people. if both go together then there is no break but if each go for 30min separately and at different times then its 60 min break

There’s plenty couples not living in each other’s ears at the moment. My husband is working as normal, so I wouldn’t require a break from him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

No. You should stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Both of my parents, over 70 are out and about walking

They live in rural area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jlm29 wrote: »
    There’s plenty couples not living in each other’s ears at the moment. My husband is working as normal, so I wouldn’t require a break from him :)

that's true. im more talking about where both are at home. I see a few of my neighbours going for walks as a couple and they are both at home.
    I had great pleasure today when my other half went for a walk. just silence, no questions or sugestions , no talk about shelves or stupid cushions. bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They live in rural area

Let's hope they are caught, fined and forced to cop the fųck on.

They live in rural area

Mine are doing laps of the house. I’m surprised they aren’t out and about but I’ve been annoying them the whole time on the phone to stick out the rules as much as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ring the HSA, they are doing checks on various workplaces, they wouldn't be long sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They live in rural area

Are they aware they run the risk of dying if they come in contact with someone who is carrying the disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Are they aware they run the risk of dying if they come in contact with someone who is carrying the disease?

Did they get a special dispensation from the HSE to disregard their request to stay at home .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The footpaths around Knocknacara were far more crowded than the beaches before they were closed. The 2km rule is pushing people together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They live in rural area

And no reason why they shouldn't. My neighbours are doing the same & won't meet a soul. One old man suffers from depression. His walk, with his dog, is the one thing he looks forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Can two friends from different households meet up and go for a walk if they observe social distancing (in a rural area)?

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    Can two friends from different households meet up and go for a walk if they observe social distancing (in a rural area)?

Nope.

Advertisement