Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Nope.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Have still seen no enforcement of movement restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Are the over 70's allowed out for a walk if it's within a 2km radius of their home?

They are "strongly advised" not to.

But since they are not under house arrest (yet) they are allowed to go for a walk, like the rest of us—and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

A friend of mine is traveling 80km to see his partner tomorrow.
    He says it's essential as relationship are essential.
    Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

tuxy wrote: »
    A friend of mine is traveling 80km to see his partner tomorrow.
    He says it's essential as relationship are essential.
    Is this true?

:D:D - Depends how good looking she is and if she's filthy rich and filthy in the sack.

But alas, I'm taking the piss, like yourself.

• Advertisement

:D:D - Depends how good looking she is and if she's filthy rich and filthy in the sack.

But alas, I'm taking the piss, like yourself.

Not taking the piss. I can't tell if it is essential travel or not. He's not see her in a few days.

Not taking the piss. I can't tell if it is essential travel or not. He's not see her in a few days.

You have to be, come on like.

No, it's not essential travel.

You have to be, come on like.

No, it's not essential travel.

He's working in a job that's considered essential and say this is necessary for his mental health so he can continue to do his job.
    Should he be reported to the Garda?

He's working in a job that's considered essential and say this is necessary for his mental health so he can continue to do his job.

Banging head against wall here, what are the guards going to do? Issue a friendly warning is all and he'll still go.

Friend should cop onto himself.

Banging head against wall here, what are the guards going to do? Issue a friendly warning is all and he'll still go.

Friend should cop onto himself.

He won't, I've tried reasoning with him.
    When will the Garda get the powers to do something about cases like this?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    The footpaths around Knocknacara were far more crowded than the beaches before they were closed. The 2km rule is pushing people together.

This is what I don't understand. If I go for a cycle I could pick a route that will mean almost no contact with people. But I can't because of distance. All I can do for exercise outside is walk past loads of loads of people because footpaths in my area are now more crowded than normal.

I don't think it's fair to force me into more crowded areas just because I wish to exercise outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This is what I don't understand. If I go for a cycle I could pick a route that will mean almost no contact with people. But I can't because of distance. All I can do for exercise outside is walk past loads of loads of people because footpaths in my area are now more crowded than normal.

I don't think it's fair to force me into more crowded areas just because I wish to exercise outside.

But... If you go for a longer cycle, you have the potential to bring the virus to another area that doesn’t already have it. That’s the point. Go for your walk at a different time, or go For a cycle, just go a shorter distance and do it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

I agree, I don't think the restrictions have been thought through properly. I live in a remote area with a 10km beach nearby yet because of age I am told to cocoon although I don't meet another person in the way to the beach. I shall continue to defy house arrest and take my daily walk, 2, 3 or 5km away from home if I choose.

The restrictions should have some considerations to the diverse geographical locations in this country otherwise resentment will grow and people will eventually ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

xl500 wrote: »
    Are Builders allowed to work on Domestic House They started yesterday near me extending roof on a house arrived in Vans obviosuly from outside area worked all day no masks no social distancing houses both sides cocconning as they are over 70 is there anywhere to report this if its not allowed

No, and the Gardaí to answer your questions: not allowed - certainlly not for an extension (repairs OK), and the Gardaí are there to enforce (though in practice, they'll start with persuasion).

I agree, I don't think the restrictions have been thought through properly. I live in a remote area with a 10km beach nearby yet because of age I am told to cocoon although I don't meet another person in the way to the beach. I shall continue to defy house arrest and take my daily walk, 2, 3 or 5km away from home if I choose.

The restrictions should have some considerations to the diverse geographical locations in this country otherwise resentment will grow and people will eventually ignore them.

You've just said you're ignoring them already!

How do you think things will work out if everyone is allowed to chose their own rules to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

You've just said you're ignoring them already!

How do you think things will work out if everyone is allowed to chose their own rules to follow?

Like Sweden it should be a matter of common sense. If you are isolated already by geographical location, cocooning is totally unecessary. If you are living in a densley populated urban area, its another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The footpaths around Knocknacara were far more crowded than the beaches before they were closed. The 2km rule is pushing people together.

Strange, we've walked many parts of Renmore, Mervue, Dublin Rd, Monivea Rd, Tuam Rd etc and there is no sign of any crowding and they're not particularly busy whatsoever. Must be something in the Knocknacarra water.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So your friend is working in what's considered an essential job, which means increased chance of exposure and be still cant stay away from his girlfriend and quite possibly infecting her. Nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you have to defy the restrictions, could you not just do it yourself and not broadcast it to half the world, thereby egging others on to do the same? :mad:

The idea is that everyone STAYS AT HOME for the next two weeks to try to break the chain of infection. How hard is that to understand? Why does everyone try to figure out how the rules don't need to apply to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I got stopped at a checkpoint for the first time returning home from work yesterday evening and I have to say the Gardai were very polite and courteous, just asked where I was coming from and where I was going so I showed them a letter from my employer explaining I was classed as a frontline worker and they wished me safe journey and let me on my way. The whole process took less than two minutes so it's no big deal.

• Advertisement

Like Sweden it should be a matter of common sense. If you are isolated already by geographical location, cocooning is totally unecessary. If you are living in a densley populated urban area, its another thing.

Common sense has been proved not to work here.

There is a lot of disquiet in Sweden that it mightn't be working there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Quazzie wrote: »
    So your friend is working in what's considered an essential job, which means increased chance of exposure and be still cant stay away from his girlfriend and quite possibly infecting her. Nice guy.

...or she infects him and then he passes it on to other essential workers...nice guy indeed.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Went for a 30min walk around Knocknacarra (Galway) yesterday evening. Must have jumped between different sides of the road at least 10 times and waited in driveways 4 or 5 times for people to pass. Constant checking who's catching up from behind.

We were taking a spin out to very quiet rural areas, forest trails and spacious beaches before.

Maybe it's because it's mostly a fairly new area (from the boom) and a fairly acive young demographic, a lot of which are likely working from home. Might be quieter during standard working hours. Anyway... we'll survive! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rodin wrote: »
    Have still seen no enforcement of movement restriction.

Neither have I...but then, I'm not moving so I wouldn't expect to see any enforcement.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

grayzer75 wrote: »
    I got stopped at a checkpoint for the first time returning home from work yesterday evening and I have to say the Gardai were very polite and courteous, just asked where I was coming from and where I was going so I showed them a letter from my employer explaining I was classed as a frontline worker and they wished me safe journey and let me on my way. The whole process took less than two minutes so it's no big deal.

Did they check your windscreen & ask for your license ?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Did they check your windscreen & ask for your license ?

I live in the north and drive a northern reg car so we don't have any discs, I did provide my licence with the letter and that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I need to lodge cheques - will just be using an ATM to do it (and taking every precaution I can).

Is that covered as a reason to drive or ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    We were taking a spin out to very quiet rural areas, forest trails and spacious beaches before.

Yes and now everyone that actually lives within 2km of any of these amenities (that are all now closed) can't use them now either due to the massive influx of visitors during the past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But its the only way to do it , one rule for everyone .What about the man who turned 70 last week and now cant leave his house .? But thats the rule and he has to suck it up .

• Advertisement

Strange, we've walked many parts of Renmore, Mervue, Dublin Rd, Monivea Rd, Tuam Rd etc and there is no sign of any crowding and they're not particularly busy whatsoever. Must be something in the Knocknacarra water.

I would hazard a guess this is happening in many many places. I live in a large town in Louth and am now limited to bumping into far more people where I live, kids, buggies, parents, couples , people on bikes going around in small circles, than I would EVER get a few kilometres away on the quiet country lanes and fields I would normally walk in!
    As for this argument you are going to bring Coronavirus to another area? Am I going to bring it to the trees, the birds, the rabbits??? Because thats all I ever see on my country walks.

Advertisement