Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

has anyone a link to specific legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L1011 wrote:
    It is specifically a retail only list, which most people here seem to be missing

It's not a complete list. The full list tomorrow should include what services are essential. Not all trades are equal in civil emergency. Painters, plasters etc might be be essential but people need light, heat and water. Hospitals and nursing homes need light, ventilation, heat and water. Even a washing machine repair guy or a domestic fridge repair guy is most likely essential. They need to publish a full list

My parents live about 20km from me. They are cocooned. Is it possible for me to exceed the 2km limit to leave groceries on their doorstep?

Yes but if the local supermarket delivers why would you need to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

has anyone a link to specific legislation ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/acts.html

aceman67 wrote:
    I wonder if computer repair callouts would be considered essential

They definitely are. For anyone working from home their home is their office. You are allowed to maintain their work equipment and office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not a complete list. The full list tomorrow should include what services are essential. Not all trades are equal in civil emergency. Painters, plasters etc might be be essential but people need light, heat and water. Hospitals and nursing homes need light, ventilation, heat and water. Even a washing machine repair guy or a domestic fridge repair guy is most likely essential. They need to publish a full list

Its a retail only list so of course its not a full list; that's the point

Trades are not retailers.

L1011 wrote:
    Its a retail only list so of course its not a full list; that's the point

I can read you know. Leo said that a full list is available. My point is that it's not available yet nor will it be until tomorrow. I can read that it says retail BUT according to Leo the full list is available even though they are literally still working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can read you know. Leo said that a full list is available. My point is that it's not available yet nor will it be until tomorrow. I can read that it says retail BUT according to Leo the full list is available even though they are literally still working on it.

He said "will be available". Not Is.

L1011 wrote:
    He said "will be available". Not Is.

He also said new measures Come into play at midnight. He did imply that the list was ready to go but obviously not.

Anyways my profession are essential in any civil emergency so I've no doubt I'll be working flat out for the next few months. I have appointments tomorrow /today now, that I'll be keeping. Trade counters are essential (section 2 on the list) therefore some trades will be too

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gluppers

People returning to Ireland. Surely they can't stay with or visit families. They will need to quarantine for 2 weeks

Any advice on this? Relative coming home from South America on Sunday

Surely quarantine in a hotel (albeit expensive) is the best way to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

gluppers wrote: »
    People returning to Ireland. Surely they can't stay with or visit families. They will need to quarantine for 2 weeks

Any advice on this? Relative coming home from South America on Sunday

Surely quarantine in a hotel (albeit expensive) is the best way to go?

The virus is now being spread primarily by community transmission , ie it’s amongst the community

Quarantining new entrants isnt now going to make any real difference, it would have useful , weeks ago, but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Pensions.

Obviously the elderly cannot go out to the Post Offices etc, and probably asking them to defer for a couple of weeks (or more, if they've been voluntarily restricting their movements already) is far from ideal.

Wonder what the story is there ?

McDermotX wrote: »
    Pensions.

Obviously the elderly cannot go out to the Post Offices etc, and probably asking them to defer for a couple of weeks (or more, if they've been voluntarily restricting their movements already) is far from ideal.

Wonder what the story is there ?

They can nominate someone to collect it on their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,996 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would suggest computer call outs and any kind of home service, save for health care and built in essential appliances and boilers, are out.

If your laptop packs in and it can't be sorted by your company or a nearby repair place, you're in bother.

BoatMad wrote:

It's also paid out every two weeks now instead of weekly. As far as I know no pension is due to be paid next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

BoatMad wrote: »

Assuming they have someone of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The virus is now being spread primarily by community transmission , ie it’s amongst the community

Quarantining new entrants isnt now going to make any real difference, it would have useful , weeks ago, but not now
    That is plainly not true, as a family member arriving home to their family with the virus will infect their whole household.

s1ippy wrote: »
    That is plainly not true, as a family member arriving home to their family with the virus will infect their whole household.

It’s a risk based analysis , it’s now being spread primarily by community transmission , hence the situation isn’t going to materially be helped by small amounts of quarantining , ( you are asked to self quarantine )

McDermotX wrote: »
    Assuming they have someone of course.

Most people have “ someone “

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Alun wrote: »
    There's only my wife and I living here. What possible reasons could there be for us not going for a walk together rather than separately?

Because the Gardai would have to stop you to know whether it was your wife or your mistress, sister, neighbour etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have heard on the radio that online deliveries are fully booked lately. It may end up being essential.

Yep. Was on the Tesco site this morning and deliveries from the local store are booked out to the end of the week of the 14th.

Then, assuming you get a slot, any offers are void as they expire before delivery and there's zero guarantee that they'll have what you order now in 3 weeks time.

That store is 7km away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Yes but if the local supermarket delivers why would you need to do this.

My local shop has no future delivery dates available and next available click and collect is 8th April the shops need help in picking up this service to avoid people going to shops

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gluppers

I see the Australians are putting all new arrivals in hotels to quarantine as mandatory

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/australia-mandates-hotel-quarantine-for-all-arrivals/1781645

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

My job is one of the 'essential' ones (I drive empty buses around all day). When I'm going to and from work, am I likely to be stopped by the Gardai? Obviously, my uniform/staff ID will be sufficient evidence, so I'm not overly concerned. But is this the level of policing we can expect? Individuals getting pulled over on the M50, asked where they're going, etc? And heavy enforcement if people are driving around unnecessarily? Or will they be focusing more on groups of people on the street, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My job is one of the 'essential' ones (I drive empty buses around all day). When I'm going to and from work, am I likely to be stopped by the Gardai? Obviously, my uniform/staff ID will be sufficient evidence, so I'm not overly concerned. But is this the level of policing we can expect? Individuals getting pulled over on the M50, asked where they're going, etc? And heavy enforcement if people are driving around unnecessarily? Or will they be focusing more on groups of people on the street, etc?

Well, think it through.

Is one guy in a car the point of these measures or is it a bunch of people congregating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

unknown till tomorrow but Id expect a mix of those

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

What exactly is an easabe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Come on, have a little bit of cop on. They’re not going to be pulling over individual drivers.

Same applies to people out walking on their own

Does everybody have to have everything spelled out for them?

keep 2 metres apart from everyone and police won’t come near you. It’s that simple

khalessi wrote: »
    unknown till tomorrow but Id expect a mix of those

The Gardaí have announced a nationwide action to enforce the new regulations , what that means on the ground remains to be seen

I suspect the forecast good weather has made the Gov act today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I work in a the warehouse of a DHL couriers . Is this considered an essential business to remain open?

Advertisement