Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Xertz wrote: »
    I need to lodge cheques - will just be using an ATM to do it (and taking every precaution I can).

Is that covered as a reason to drive or ?

That might fall under 'For vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people', if say the cheques were needed financially for family.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

As for this argument you are going to bring Coronavirus to another area? Am I going to bring it to the trees, the birds, the rabbits??? Because thats all I ever see on my country walks.

You are completely missing the point; it's irrelevant that in some situations there is next to no risk.

The point is we need a rule that is both easy to express, so everyone can understand it, and easy to police.

Say the rule was: you can exercise anywhere you like, but mustn't do so where it's crowded. What does "crowded" mean? How do you enforce it?

We had that rule, but it didn't work.

Unless and until we have some cure or vaccine, the only way to defeat this threat is collective action. Collective action does not work if you leave it up to everyone to decide what they can do: you need some simple rules that everyone can understand and follow.

If you want to put yourself forward as an expert to advise the government that they should change the rules, then go right ahead, but I suspect they’d look for some qualifications and research you can reference before they take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Xertz wrote: »
    I need to lodge cheques - will just be using an ATM to do it (and taking every precaution I can).

Is that covered as a reason to drive or ?
    Banking is an exemption, so yes. Just consider if you really need to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Yes and now everyone that actually lives within 2km of any of these amenities (that are all now closed) can't use them now either due to the massive influx of visitors during the past 2 weeks.

None of them are closed and you would come across 0-5 people over an hour at any of them over the last few weeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How do you think things will work out if everyone is allowed to chose their own rules to follow?
    They already do, and in many cases its benign, not what they set out to actually prevent.

The most widely broken law I see is pedestrians breaking red lights, it is absolutely rife and widely tolerated by other people and the gardai. I can't recall ever seeing a gardai or member of the public reprimand an adult for crossing an empty road at a crossing with a red man.

If the intent of these rules was spelt out more clearly it would be pages and pages of rules.

If you local garda is unlikely to drag you into the station for "jaywalking" in a benign manner then I doubt they will drag a sprightly fit 70 year old to the garda station who is in completely remote front garden or just barely outside it getting some fresh air. They know what the rules actually set out to prevent happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

As is if this 2km isn't enough to pee us all off.....
    Just had walk from the house within the 2kms. Now it isn't where we'd prefer to go but we are extremely lucky that the walk is on the bog.
    Nearly home and two hunting dogs run up to us, no one in sight. They go for my dog and when the owner eventually catches up he is on top of me trying to get his dogs under control. Get to the end of the road and there's his car parked up for the walk.
    I'll be a while calming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

usually i see kids out playing football or basketball with their parents. is that not permitted anymore? the varadkar rules suggest exercise within 2km is permitted but doesnt limit it to walking/cycling/running

am i okay to bring my 2 kids out to the green in front of my house to play football as long as no other kids/parents come near us?

i had a look at a few pages on this thread but couldnt see it being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

usually i see kids out playing football or basketball with their parents. is that not permitted anymore? the varadkar rules suggest exercise within 2km is permitted but doesnt limit it to walking/cycling/running

am i okay to bring my 2 kids out to the green in front of my house to play football as long as no other kids/parents come near us?

Where my daughter lives people are taking turns to go out with a child on the green
    They look out and if no other kids out they take the child out to kick a ball for 15 minutes . No one come out until they are gone in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

loveall wrote: »
    As is if this 2km isn't enough to pee us all off.....
    Just had walk from the house within the 2kms. Now it isn't where we'd prefer to go but we are extremely lucky that the walk is on the bog.
    Nearly home and two hunting dogs run up to us, no one in sight. They go for my dog and when the owner eventually catches up he is on top of me trying to get his dogs under control. Get to the end of the road and there's his car parked up for the walk.
    I'll be a while calming down.

Photograph him and Gardai.

easypazz wrote: »
    Photograph him and Gardai.

Probably should...OH photographed the car. Maybe a photo and shame on here would be better.
    Still angry!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where my daughter lives people are taking turns to go out with a child on the green
    They look out and if no other kids out they take the child out to kick a ball for 15 minutes . No one come out until they are gone in

Thanks iamwhoiam, that sounds reasonable. appreciate it. id say 15 min is reasonable time enough. thanks for sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    None of them are closed and you would come across 0-5 people over an hour at any of them over the last few weeks. ;)

A Forest, a nature trail, a beach all within 1.5km of where I live are all now closed due to Corona tourist mobs.

Just found out who the guy was through the local grapevine. A bollox ....not an Irish one.....lives 4 or 5 miles away from the bog. Was telling the locals how Italy can't be repeated here. Thinks he owns that bog.
    Maybe someone could educate him in controlling his dogs for a start. He's got space near him to walk, we've had to leave our usual. What is wrong with these pricks?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

rubadub wrote: »
    The most widely broken law I see is pedestrians breaking red lights, it is absolutely rife and widely tolerated by other people and the gardai. I can't recall ever seeing a gardai or member of the public reprimand an adult for crossing an empty road at a crossing with a red man.

As a blow-in its very difficult to know what laws in Ireland are lifestyle choices and what laws to actually obey. Buying booze and drinking all hours, setting fire to vast swathes of land in which wildlife is attempting to breed, jaywalking, cyclists with no lights in the dark and ignoring red traffic lights, bilking on the Luas and buses seem to be lifestyle choices but being over 70 and walking on a remote strand miles from anyone else is roundly condemned. Perhaps if it were mandatory to obey all laws then people might behave more responsibly and not need to be put under house arrest in the current situation.

A Forest, a nature trail, a beach all within 1.5km of where I live are all now closed due to Corona tourist mobs.

Well when this all settles come for a trip to the west-northwest - plenty of open space without that crowd from Dublin flooding in! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

tuxy wrote: »
    He's working in a job that's considered essential and say this is necessary for his mental health so he can continue to do his job.
    Should he be reported to the Garda?

are you wondering if you should report him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Well when this all settles come for a trip to the west-northwest - plenty of open space without that crowd from Dublin flooding in! :cool:

Very true, I might just have to put that on my post Corona bucket list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Just found out who the guy was through the local grapevine. A bollox ....not an Irish one.....lives 4 or 5 miles away from the bog. Was telling the locals how Italy can't be repeated here. Thinks he owns that bog.
    Maybe someone could educate him in controlling his dogs for a start. He's got space near him to walk, we've had to leave our usual. What is wrong with these pricks?!!!!!

Try and let it go would be my advice - a lot of things are gonna start p!ssing people off quickly and only way through is to try be mindful of yourself.

I have posted before to report house parties, BBQs etc - I still would as many people are involved, but reporting one guy one time probably would be more wasteful of police resources than its worth. If he keeps doing it, go for it.. but overall accepting there are complete selfish useless pricks out there is probably the longer term benefit for your own health! We have a long way to go!

Firstly I will say I am from Dublin but no longer live there. My sister lives in the farthest reaches of Donegal and I'm a regular visitor. I love space, freedom and off the beaten track places more than most. I'm used to heading off on my own. For the moment that has stopped.

I agree with earlier posts about big hunting dogs off leads being really dangerous at any time, not just now. That needs to be reported and stopped.

However "that crowd" from Dublin that everyone has being vilifying lately probably consist of many frontline healthcare workers with children, medics, gardai, lab technicians, civil servants in Dept of Social Welfare emergency payment services, essential shop staff, supply chain staff etc etc. The very people who have vilified all those unfortunate people trying to get out a few weeks ago are probably clapping and cheering on our healthcare workers every night. Yet those frontline workers in so many businesses were probably the very people out in those parks, beaches and mountains 2 weeks ago trying to get fresh air and have a bit of time with their kids. I personally know 2 families who were out that weekend, all of them healthcare workers.

I found it astonishing how everyone was able to point fingers, take photos and video clips while THEY THEMSELVES were in the exact same places (!!) and call everybody else out!

As a nature lover , serious hiker, cyclist I love the outdoors and have all my special spots that I almost consider my own. But guess what? NONE of us own them. We may live close to beaches, forests, nature trails, cliffs etc but they are not the property of the people who live close to them. They are for everyone's enjoyment and nobody has a monopoly.

I found the self righteousness of so many people over the last few weeks appalling. The "not in my back garden" attitude, calling people names like dumb muppets, fcuking morons for visiting beaches and parks BEFORE the lockdown , bearing in mind this was in line with Government recommendations that we got exercise at that stage. Of course some people were not practicing social distancing but many people did not expect such crowds. We have quickly learnt!

Friends of mine who live in big houses with very big gardens and no kids were shouting abuse and ranting online about people visiting the beach near them. Nobody owns the beaches. People visit them for fresh air, mental health and maybe because they live in apartments with no garden at all.

At the moment everything has changed and nobody can go anywhere.
    But in the future it would be good to stop for a minute and consider "that crowd" from Dublin are the ones that are working non stop, commuting long distances every day on packed trains and buses squashed together like sardines, paying creche fees as both parents are working , living in apartments without gardens, contributing hard earned taxes to pay for our Emergency Covid payments of €350 a week, Covid Illness benefit and in time our old age State pensions.

I would love to keep my special places to myself but about 3 weeks ago when I saw more people walking my routes and on my local beach I had to give myself a very quick wake up call and remind myself that I don't own them, these spaces are for everyone to enjoy and "that crowd" from Dublin are as entitled to visit any part of this country as the people who chose to live there. This earth belongs to nobody, its given to us to share.

When all this is over I hope we have all learned to be more understanding, more compassionate and more welcoming. Its too easy to just see one side of the story (I include myself in that).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Firstly I will say I am from Dublin but no longer live there. My sister lives in the farthest reaches of Donegal and I'm a regular visitor. I love space, freedom and off the beaten track places more than most. I'm used to heading off on my own. For the moment that has stopped.

I agree with earlier posts about big hunting dogs off leads being really dangerous at any time, not just now. That needs to be reported and stopped.

However "that crowd" from Dublin that everyone has being vilifying lately probably consist of many frontline healthcare workers with children, medics, gardai, lab technicians, civil servants in Dept of Social Welfare emergency payment services, essential shop staff, supply chain staff etc etc. The very people who have vilified all those unfortunate people trying to get out a few weeks ago are probably clapping and cheering on our healthcare workers every night. Yet those frontline workers in so many businesses were probably the very people out in those parks, beaches and mountains 2 weeks ago trying to get fresh air and have a bit of time with their kids. I personally know 2 families who were out that weekend, all of them healthcare workers.

I found it astonishing how everyone was able to point fingers, take photos and video clips while THEY THEMSELVES were in the exact same places (!!) and call everybody else out!

As a nature lover , serious hiker, cyclist I love the outdoors and have all my special spots that I almost consider my own. But guess what? NONE of us own them. We may live close to beaches, forests, nature trails, cliffs etc but they are not the property of the people who live close to them. They are for everyone's enjoyment and nobody has a monopoly.

I found the self righteousness of so many people over the last few weeks appalling. The "not in my back garden" attitude, calling people names like dumb muppets, fcuking morons for visiting beaches and parks BEFORE the lockdown , bearing in mind this was in line with Government recommendations that we got exercise at that stage. Of course some people were not practicing social distancing but many people did not expect such crowds. We have quickly learnt!

Friends of mine who live in big houses with very big gardens and no kids were shouting abuse and ranting online about people visiting the beach near them. Nobody owns the beaches. People visit them for fresh air, mental health and maybe because they live in apartments with no garden at all.

But in the future it would be good to stop for a minute and consider "that crowd" from Dublin are the ones that are working non stop, commuting long distances every day on packed trains and buses squashed together like sardines, paying creche fees as both parents are working , living in apartments without gardens, contributing hard earned taxes to pay for our Emergency Covid payments of €350 a week, Covid Illness benefit and in time our old age State pensions.

I would love to keep my special places to myself but about 3 weeks ago when I saw more people walking my routes and on my local beach I had to give myself a very quick wake up call and remind myself that I don't own them, these spaces are for everyone to enjoy and "that crowd" from Dublin are as entitled to visit any part of this country as the people who chose to live there. This earth belongs to nobody, its given to us to share.

When all this is over I hope we have all learned to be more understanding, more compassionate and more welcoming. Its too easy to just see one side of the story (I include myself in that).

Hear hear .

• Advertisement

However "that crowd" from Dublin that everyone has being vilifying lately

It was meant as a bit of inter-county bants, no offence intended!

I agree with you, our public space is for all to enjoy, whether urban cities or the natural gems across rural Ireland.

Answer: yes.

According to the HSE, the following is permitted: "exercise outdoors - within 2 kilometres of your home and only with members of your own household, keeping 2 metres distance between you and other people"

I've regained my composure :)
    Going to miss all the Dubs when they should be here for silly season. I for one love them....I married one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I've regained my composure :)
    Going to miss all the Dubs when they should be here for silly season. I for one love them....I married one!

Dubliner or not.. people can be auful pricks..

Although I agree with some of what you say - taking photos, reporting to Gardaí etc. (dangerous dogs off a lead excepted) is way over the top and abusing people online (or indeed in person) is never acceptable – I think you’re missing the point.

Of course the countryside, parks and beaches are for everyone. The problem is that the freedom was abused, crowds happened making distancing impossible to achieve, so more restricted rules had to be brought in.

The point is: are you willing to join everyone in collectively giving up part of your freedom in order to combat the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Separated from partner and teenage kid lives between both parents, about 15-20 km apart. Can I pick him up/drop him off?
    both parents self-isolating apart from supermarket shopping etc.
    Thinking of doing week on week off to limit travel between?
    Thoughts?
    Don't really want to be separated for 2 weeks+

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭shanmo

I live approx 30 mins from a takeaway place, am I allowed to travel to collect an order? I know food places are allowed to stay open for takeaway and delivery but what's the consensus on travelling for this? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

shanmo wrote: »
    I live approx 30 mins from a takeaway place, am I allowed to travel to collect an order? I know food places are allowed to stay open for takeaway and delivery but what's the consensus on travelling for this? Thanks.

It must be amazing if you are willing to do an hour round trip! Would the food not be cold by the time you get home?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

8ofSpades wrote: »
    Separated from partner and teenage kid lives between both parents, about 15-20 km apart. Can I pick him up/drop him off?
    both parents self-isolating apart from supermarket shopping etc.
    Thinking of doing week on week off to limit travel between?
    Thoughts?
    Don't really want to be separated for 2 weeks+

My thoughts are that this would be okay...but I don't make the rules. Phone the Guards to clarify maybe?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

shanmo wrote: »

If there are very few closer to here than where you love, then obviously that would be ok. But if you pass 6 to get to it then that looks a bit dodgy.

I have heard (might be fake news) that the guards will phone the takeaway / elderly person / employer etc. or check your recent calls to make sure you are genuine.

Advertisement