Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If my parents need a good shop done, can I get it delivered (I’ve a slot booked) and drop it to them even if they’re about 2 hours away?

Yes you can. My aunt has done one from the US for my grandparents

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jlm29 wrote: »
    Where he lives has nothing to do with it. If he’s not an essential worker (he’s not), then he shouldn’t be on the road

Well that depends. Gardens are on the list as it providing services & assistance to vulnerable people. Maybe he prefers to safely perform a service rather than collecting €350 of taxpayer money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A lot of people are breaking these rules with house parties etc.

I'd say a lot of people who are trying their best don't see this.

Loads of pics and videos sent to me last few days.

Its depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

rubadub wrote: »
    1 gardener is one thing, but today I saw 4 lads feeding a tree branch chopping machine thing, and another in the garden too. All close to each other, doubt they live together! and near passersby too.

I was in a "pure pharmacy" branch today and was impressed, you can only step inside the front door, then there is a screen and you could hand a prescription through, there was a card reader there out the front, remote from staff, and hand santiser for customers. Like the protection level you might see in banks. They are also doing free deliverys now if you live near one, and I think if you spend a tenner on non-prescription stuff it is also free regardless of where you live. They also allowed me to get a good few repeat prescriptions all at once.

For better safety there should be no indoors for pharmacies except among the pharmacists themselves. They should hand the prescriptions out the door. There's really no need for customers to be entering pharmacies at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Discodog wrote: »
    Well that depends. Gardens are on the list as it providing services & assistance to vulnerable people. Maybe he prefers to safely perform a service rather than collecting €350 of taxpayer money.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/
    I don’t see any mention of gardening on this list. I’m pretty sure the government didn’t mean cutting lawns when they discussed people being able to travel to care for older people. That’s a bit of a stretch. But to be honest, I was more making the point that his home address has nothing to do with anything. The 2km rule relates only to exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Regardless of when restrictions will be lessened... a lot of people will be too afraid to go back to work.

I assume the government know this, so based on this theory, I don’t see majority of us returning to work until August/September.

What are others predictions?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/
    I don’t see any mention of gardening on this list. I’m pretty sure the government didn’t mean cutting lawns when they discussed people being able to travel to care for older people. That’s a bit of a stretch. But to be honest, I was more making the point that his home address has nothing to do with anything. The 2km rule relates only to exercise.

Well a single gardener can work in total safety. The Guards are getting calls reporting individual tradesmen & they are ignoring them. It's about common sense.

Well a single gardener can work in total safety. The Guards are getting calls reporting individual tradesmen & they are ignoring them. It's about common sense.

I suppose the problem with common sense is that it’s not that common. If it was, we wouldn’t have seen public places packed to capacity two weeks ago. We might not be locked down as we are now if more people had some common sense.
    That gardener might be able to work away in total safety, but the problem is that someone will see him and think it’s grand to do some other non-essential work, and before we know it there’s lots of non-essential workers on the road. Or if that gardener is from another area or household, he’s potentially spreading CV from one area to another- touching gates, door handles, tools etc etc. He could fall off a ladder and break his wrist and need to go to a hospital that’s already busy.
    It’s a short term measure, if people just stuck to it it might be over a bit quicker.

I suppose the problem with common sense is that it’s not that common. If it was, we wouldn’t have seen public places packed to capacity two weeks ago. We might not be locked down as we are now if more people had some common sense.
    That gardener might be able to work away in total safety, but the problem is that someone will see him and think it’s grand to do some other non-essential work, and before we know it there’s lots of non-essential workers on the road. Or if that gardener is from another area or household, he’s potentially spreading CV from one area to another- touching gates, door handles, tools etc etc. He could fall off a ladder and break his wrist and need to go to a hospital that’s already busy.
    It’s a short term measure, if people just stuck to it it might be over a bit quicker.

People abide instructions that make sense. Yes a gardener touches a gate, so does the postman & he is touching hundreds of gates. Accidents can just as easily happen going for your 2km walk.

It's a pity that people don't care more about their neighbour rather than curtain twitching, complaining, outing on Facebook & calling the Gardai. Most people have someone to cut their lawns etc because they can't do it themselves.

This is a peak growing season. Another three or four weeks will mean that gardens will need a lot of work & the customers will face bigger bills.

People abide instructions that make sense.

And people deciding on their own rules will have us all stuck at home for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are you allowed out on your boat during the current restrictions?

Second question, anyone have a boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Wondered the same, a fair chunk of the 2KM exercise radius around my house is in Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

If its your job, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is this you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see "go out on a boat" in the below list.

Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:

* to travel to and from work where the work is considered an essential service.
    * to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products for yourself, your family or someone who is vulnerable or 'cocooning'
    for vital family reasons including caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people but excluding social family visits
    * to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#the-only-reasons-you-can-leave-your-home

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you don't have one already it is very clearly not "essential". You can exercise on dry land, so it would appear very clear to anyone who has paid any attention to what's been going on that you are not allowed to go out on a boat

RNLI, fishing vessels, ferries and the like are the only things that should be going out

A little bit of common sense required. What if you got in trouble? How would you feel being put into an ambulance taking up vital emergency service resources because you felt the desire to go out on a boat somewhere:rolleyes:

And people deciding on their own rules will have us all stuck at home for longer.

No. People who maintain social discipline, hygiene etc won't delay the reduction in restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry post was made in jest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

So at this point in time does the 2km limit only apply to exercise not shopping ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

So at this point in time does the 2km limit only apply to exercise not shopping ?

Yep you can drive more than 2km to get to the shops, nearest shop to us is at least 5km away.

Ideally though you should do all your shopping in one shop rather than going to every supermarket.

If you go out early so your ready to shop before 9:30 you'll find most shops won't have to queue to get in. Peak times most supermarkets will have a queuing system to restrict the numbers in store at anyone time so that social distancing can be practiced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GinSoaked wrote: »
    shop before 9:30 you'll find most shops won't have to queue to get in.
    I can see my tesco from my window. Best time is after 9pm for mine, at 1pm today the queue was all around the carpark and just about to go out to the main road. Last time I was in at 9pm there were no queues, and very few in the shop, no queues at tills either.

Yep you can drive more than 2km to get to the shops, nearest shop to us is at least 5km away.

Ideally though you should do all your shopping in one shop rather than going to every supermarket.

If you go out early so your ready to shop before 9:30 you'll find most shops won't have to queue to get in. Peak times most supermarkets will have a queuing system to restrict the numbers in store at anyone time so that social distancing can be practiced.

I heard of a lady being turned back by a Garda checkpoint driving from Terenure to the Dundrum shopping centre

I've been avoiding early hours in stores because people were saying those hours are set aside for pensioners ?

I can see my tesco from my window. Best time is after 9pm for mine, at 1pm today the queue was all around the carpark and just about to go out to the main road. Last time I was in at 9pm there were no queues, and very few in the shop, no queues at tills either.

Sorry by 9.30 I meant AM not PM.

But people have realised that there are less people around if you go early and by 9.30AM local Dunnes were queuing but not earlier.

I heard of a lady being turned back by a Garda checkpoint driving from Terenure to the Dundrum shopping centre

Haven't seen a Garda yet? How many other options for shopping between Terenure and Dundrum shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry by 9.30 I meant AM not PM.

But people have realised that there are less people around if you go early and by 9.30AM local Dunnes were queuing but not earlier.
    AM is what I thought you meant, I saw big queues outside tesco first thing in the morning, maybe they die off since a little later it is meant for elderly people early in the morning too, who are not necessarily over 70, or carers etc.
    lady being turned back by a Garda checkpoint driving from Terenure to the Dundrum shopping centre
    Very glad to hear that. Would love to have seen the interaction. The gardai should make it public on their quite active twitter page. "Woman turned back who was going to browse for shoes in dundrum" or "get a fresh loaf from her favorite artisan baker 5 miles away". I wonder what she was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Haven't seen a Garda yet? How many other options for shopping between Terenure and Dundrum shopping centre?

Various lidls, aldis, nutgrove etc...Loads of options

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I went late last night and I think that, in addition, people who go later are possibly that bit more paranoid (one of the reasons they're going later) and likely to adhere to social distancing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ixoy wrote: »
    I went late last night and I think that, in addition, people who go later are possibly that bit more paranoid (one of the reasons they're going later) and likely to adhere to social distancing, etc.

Really good point.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Various lidls, aldis, nutgrove etc...Loads of options

That explains it really.

• Advertisement

Well my question is not whether someone is forced to use a corner shop or a smaller store that empties out faster. My question is can you legally travel over 2km for shopping to a place which you choose ? Its not like this person is going from shop to shop. Are we expected to live off frozen meals from Iceland for example and have no choice ? Don't interpret the question as rebellion against the law. I just want to know what the law is .
    Very glad to hear that. Would love to have seen the interaction. The gardai should make it public on their quite active twitter page. "Woman turned back who was going to browse for shoes in dundrum" or "get a fresh loaf from her favorite artisan baker 5 miles away". I wonder what she was after.
    She wanted to do her weekly shop in a place she was used to.
    Dundrum is more knackery than your disdain for snobbery assumes. In fact its a magnet ;)

Advertisement