Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Well my question is not whether someone is forced to use a corner shop or a smaller store that empties out faster. My question is can you legally travel over 2km for shopping to a place which you choose ? Its not like this person is going from shop to shop. Are we expected to live off frozen meals from Iceland for example and have no choice ? Don't interpret the question as rebellion against the law. I just want to know what the law is .

She wanted to do her weekly shop in a place she was used to.
    Dundrum is more knackery than your disdain for snobbery assumes. In fact its a magnet ;)

It's a simple instruction. You can't go beyond 2km

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dundrum is more knackery than your disdain for snobbery assumes. In fact its a magnet ;)
    Its more a disdain for possible needless encounters with more people than necessary. I saw the same woman on my road head down to tesco twice today. I think some are just going shopping now for something to do.

Checking on google maps terenure is close enough to dundrum. I always get it mixed up with Portmarnock ever since I was a kid having relatives in both places, and presumed she was travelling miles just to go to some really specific shop, or possibly to go window shopping (though I guess most are closed) for something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's a simple instruction. You can't go beyond 2km
    You can for food, which was obviously going to be the case as not everybody has a shop that near

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1243856383117844481

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/
    The government has decided that everyone should stay at home until 12 April 2020, except for the following situations:

to travel to and from work, or for purposes of work, only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home
    to shop for essential food, beverage and household goods or collect a meal

You should not be needless travelling to some distant shop for some particular food item, just because you are overly particular. I can see some people posting in other forums who are still going to multiple shops, putting multiple cashiers at risk just because they might find the oranges in lidl a bit more juicy or prefer butter in dunnes or some crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

rubadub wrote: »
    You can for food, which was obviously going to be the case as not everybody has a shop that near

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/

You should not be needless travelling to some distant shop for some particular food item, just because you are overly particular. I can see some people posting in other forums who are still going to multiple shops, putting multiple cashiers at risk just because they might find the oranges in lidl a bit more juicy or prefer butter in dunnes or some crap like that.

Thanks, I had overlooked that. There are shops in Terenure though. Why would anyone need to go to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

rubadub wrote: »

My food shopping is costing a bomb the last few weeks. I used do most in Lidl and get a few bits in dunnes, but now I’m having to do it all in dunnes, and coupled with the fact that we’re all eating all our meals at home, and my kids are eating constantly because they’re idle, I’m going to need a bank loan if it goes on :D

• Advertisement

I've been avoiding early hours in stores because people were saying those hours are set aside for pensioners ?

Some stores had set aside 11-1, and were asking that people didn’t bring children at those times, and saying that elderly people would be prioritised in queues etc, but adults could still shop alone. I did wonder had those hours been scrapped, since the over 70’s shouldn’t really be going shopping since cocooning was introduced

Actually I just saw a dunnes ad, and they have “carers hours” from 11-1 each day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jlm29 wrote: »
    My food shopping is costing a bomb the last few weeks. I used do most in Lidl and get a few bits in dunnes, but now I’m having to do it all in dunnes, and coupled with the fact that we’re all eating all our meals at home, and my kids are eating constantly because they’re idle, I’m going to need a bank loan if it goes on :D
    Why can't you do it all in Lidl like you did before? Again, the 2km limit does not apply to shopping for food.

Alun wrote: »
    Why can't you do it all in Lidl like you did before? Again, the 2km limit does not apply to shopping for food.

Because it’s chaotic. There’s no hand sanitiser, no wipes, there was a child running around the place last time I was there, there was no markings for social distancing, and when I was social distancing at the counter a woman tried to cut in front of me. And then the staff member on one of the other checkout kept pulling at his mask with his gloved hands, and then touching peoples shopping. It made me shudder, it will be a while before I go in there again, regardless of how much my kids like their pizza

Because it’s chaotic. There’s no hand sanitiser, no wipes, there was a child running around the place last time I was there, there was no markings for social distancing, and when I was social distancing at the counter a woman tried to cut in front of me. And then the staff member on one of the other checkout kept pulling at his mask with his gloved hands, and then touching peoples shopping. It made me shudder, it will be a while before I go in there again, regardless of how much my kids like their pizza
    Ah, ok. I have an Aldi close to me that is a mess at the best of times and there's no way I'm going there. My closest Lidl is pretty rubbish too so I usually go to another Lidl further away. It's nice and big, relatively quiet and has a big car park. I've not had any problems going there so far but I'm not sure what would happen if I was challenged on that at a checkpoint.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Ah, ok. I have an Aldi close to me that is a mess at the best of times and there's no way I'm going there. My closest Lidl is pretty rubbish too so I usually go to another Lidl further away. It's nice and big, relatively quiet and has a big car park. I've not had any problems going there so far but I'm not sure what would happen if I was challenged on that at a checkpoint.

Maybe they’ve upped their game since I was there last, but I think for now I’ll take the hit and shop in dunnes stores, where things are nice and clean and orderly, and the staff shout at people who get too close to the checkout

I think it varies from store to store depending on the local management. Some are very well run, others are a complete mess even before all this started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Drop Lidl an email about your experience I'm sure they would be interested. The Lidl I use is nothing like that. Hand sanitizer on the way in. Extra security staff (but they don't do much unless the shop gets busy) extra staff filling shelves, fresh bread all pre bagged, marking all over the shop for distance keeping including at the till. Screens up at the till to protect staff and shoppers plus constant announcements on the tanoy about the current regulations. Only things I thought they could do better were to unlock the trolleys (less need to handle coins) and provide hand sanitizer on the way out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Maybe they’ve upped their game since I was there last, but I think for now I’ll take the hit and shop in dunnes stores, where things are nice and clean and orderly, and the staff shout at people who get too close to the checkout

Same here. Maybe Aldi and Lidl have upped their game.
    But I'm not going back to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!

Ciara Kelly all over twitter telling everyone to stay home for Easter, don’t travel to holiday homes, how to make DIY face mask and next she has a photo of herself in the park for 100 days of walking or some BS.

If you are one of these people, the 2km per day is not a personal milestone. Stay home and we can get back to normal sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Tickers wrote: »
    I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!

Ciara Kelly all over twitter telling everyone to stay home for Easter, don’t travel to holiday homes, how to make DIY face mask and next she has a photo of herself in the park for 100 days of walking or some BS.

If you are one of these people, the 2km per day is not a personal milestone. Stay home and we can get back to normal sooner.

Why don't you stay in then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

I am at home all day every day with the exception of a walk of maybe 5k, in a loop within 2km of my house as allowed under current restrictions. I don’t go near anyone on walk and give more than 2m distance when passing. I won’t be changing that routine for physical and mental health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

Let's also ban breathing too

Jucifer wrote: »
    I am at home all day every day with the exception of a walk of maybe 5k, in a loop within 2km of my house as allowed under current restrictions. I don’t go near anyone on walk and give more than 2m distance when passing. I won’t be changing that routine for physical and mental health reasons.

If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Mental Health my eye.

I agree with you. The obsession with mental health in this country in recent times has gone out of control. If someone can't stay inside for a couple of weeks without developing mental health issues then there was already something seriously wrong with them prior to the lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

If everyone sticks to the restrictions and takes some brief individual exercise with only members of their own household and within 2km of their own home while observing social distancing then it most certainly will work. Who are these imaginary people who never left the house? I know my activity is down multiples of pre restrictions level on my health app. This attitude you speak of is that of abiding by the all the advice of the health authorities. Not even going to bother addressing your comments on mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I was in isolation with my daughter a week before the official school closing and tbh found that week and following 2 weeks until Mon much easier than I have the last 2 days. I had to go to the post office and was amazed at how busy with cars the town centre was, I parked the car, sat for a minute and returned home.
    Went back at 5.20pm while walking the dog, so did 2 tasks in one.
    I think we are facing into a tough week - people are already in the "closed" parks here and it's going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

You know that gyms etc. are closed right? Many people have had to stop going to all of their classes and so need to fill the void with some other exercise.
    Schools have been closed, all kids activities have been cancelled. Previously parents might not have been out much with their kids because they knew they kids were getting fresh air in school or with their friends after school and that they were doing exercise at their activities!!
    shocksy wrote: »
    I agree with you. The obsession with mental health in this country in recent times has gone out of control. If someone can't stay inside for a couple of weeks without developing mental health issues then there was already something seriously wrong with them prior to the lockdown.

I believe that that is the point. A lot of people did already have issues with mental health!!

Jucifer wrote: »
    If everyone sticks to the restrictions and takes some brief individual exercise with only members of their own household and within 2km of their own home while observing social distancing then it most certainly will work. Who are these imaginary people who never left the house? I know my activity is down multiples of pre restrictions level on my health app. This attitude you speak of is that of abiding by the all the advice of the health authorities. Not even going to bother addressing your comments on mental health.

The 2km is guidance, it’s not a personal goal ffs. If everyone is outside at the same time then social distancing is meaningless. This is not Madrid or Rome where people live on top of one another in apartments, most people live in houses with a garden but suddenly people who never got off the couch need to go for a walk or bring the kids to the park which defeats the purpose of the lockdown.

Why is it so hard for people to do nothing. For years we’ve been trying to get people off the couch and as soon as they’re told to stay inside they want to go for a jog.

marilynrr wrote: »
    You know that gyms etc. are closed right? Many people have had to stop going to all of their classes and so need to fill the void with some other exercise.
    Schools have been closed, all kids activities have been cancelled. Previously parents might not have been out much with their kids because they knew they kids were getting fresh air in school or with their friends after school and that they were doing exercise at their activities!!

I believe that that is the point. A lot of people did already have issues with mental health!!

You do know there’s a global pandemic outside right?

shocksy wrote: »

Mental health is the new get out of jail card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Plenty of space in Ireland and no reason why people shouldn't go out for their exercise. Someone who goes outside and complains that others are outside must be a very self-involved person indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

You do know there’s a global pandemic outside right?

Absolutely!
    I was just checking if you were aware about the work/school/activity and gym closures as you didn't seem to be and just thought that all those families had been sitting inside their houses for years now and only suddenly appeared in the past couple of weeks since they've been told not to go outside!!

Advertisement