Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Tickers wrote: »
    You do know there’s a global pandemic outside right?

Use your brain here like a good person.
    1) All gyms are closed.
    2) All fitness classes are cancelled.
    3) All sports and training is cancelled.
    4) People cannot travel to their favourite spots like the beach, river walks, parks to do jogging due to the 2KM rule
    5) People are layed off work and need to get out of the house even for a walk or they will crack up.
    6) People can't socialize so need something else to do.
    7) Once they are practicing social distancing it's fine
    8) You obviously live in Dublin if it annoys you this much, Rest of country isn't really affected
    9) Exercise is one of the best ways to help ease bad anxiety and depression.
    10) If you don't like it stay as home.
    11) People can't just stare at four walls all day, particularly when out of work
    12) Schools are also closed so parents might need a break from their kids

The way your thinking is that anyone that exercises has a mental health issue or only out because of the virus. Your an absolute idiot.

Jucifer wrote: »
    I am at home all day every day with the exception of a walk of maybe 5k, in a loop within 2km of my house as allowed under current restrictions. I don’t go near anyone on walk and give more than 2m distance when passing. I won’t be changing that routine for physical and mental health reasons.

Mental health reasons. You’re not being sent to the Vietnam war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I walk my dog every day. I walk to work in the evenings. Both probably add up to roughly 2 k maybe a bit more.
    But I don't have a holiday home so I reckon it's ok.

shocksy wrote: »
    I agree with you. The obsession with mental health in this country in recent times has gone out of control. If someone can't stay inside for a couple of weeks without developing mental health issues then there was already something seriously wrong with them prior to the lockdown.

It’s been turned into an industry and a catch-all excuse for everything and anything.

All this fashionable mental health has done is take away from the people that really have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

The 2km is guidance, it’s not a personal goal ffs. If everyone is outside at the same time then social distancing is meaningless. This is not Madrid or Rome where people live on top of one another in apartments, most people live in houses with a garden but suddenly people who never got off the couch need to go for a walk or bring the kids to the park which defeats the purpose of the lockdown.

Why is it so hard for people to do nothing. For years we’ve been trying to get people off the couch and as soon as they’re told to stay inside they want to go for a jog.

Getting outside for a walk in open spaces does not defeat the purpose of the lockdown if the majority maintain social distancing. There is no complete lockdown, advice allows for people to go out and exercise.

Most people would have been out and about before the restrictions came in, be that going for a wander around the town centre, commute to work, going to the gym, school activities, basically going about their day as usual. Getting out and about for a walk is just a substitute for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

It's one of many positives of this covid 19 situation. I think it's great to see so many people out exercising. Fewer takeaways open, people eating less junk food. More quality time with the family particularly if the children are young. It's been proven that exercise reduces mental health issues so another positive outcome. Overall the lifestyle changes people have been forced to make will ultimately put a lot less strain on the health service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you are one of these people, the 2km per day is not a personal milestone. Stay home and we can get back to normal sooner.

Mind your own business!

I'm still working from home and I've never been busier. I'm leaving my house for my mental health. I do a 5k run before work and at least 5k walk in the evenings.

I'd encourage you to stay indoors and close all windows and vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

physioman wrote: »
    It's one of many positives of this covid 19 situation. I think it's great to see so many people out exercising. Fewer takeaways open, people eating less junk food. More quality time with the family particularly if the children are young. It's been proven that exercise reduces mental health issues so another positive outcome. Overall the lifestyle changes people have been forced to make will ultimately put a lot less strain on the health service

All they need to do now is ban the sale of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

I walked to the bus every day, and walked during my hour lunch break and usually a walk in the evening too. The only thing different now is I walk within 2km of my home and don't use public transport.
    This is the whole point of the restriction.

Elderly and ill people are the ones who aren't meant to leave their homes and even then, i'd say it's a free country.. If they want to leave and understand they may not be prioritised if healthcare is rationed, that's their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

OP comes across the type of person that if around in 1920 would’ve tattled to the tans. “He’s in there!”

As long as people are adhering to social distancing guidelines of 2 metres and thorough hand washing, the chances of contracting Covid-19 are nil.

• Advertisement

physioman wrote: »

Takeaway deliveries are flat out.

Everyone will do back to normal after this too, don’t be kidding yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Mental health reasons. You’re not being sent to the Vietnam war.

You do know mentioning mental health doesn’t mean someone has issues or anything. Just like physical health, maintenance is important and exercise is a vital part of maintaining both. Some of the attitudes displayed here regard the mention of mental health are very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I love it. The little dictators can't get outraged by people breaking the rules so they have to be outraged by people not breaking the rules. At the same time they are doing exactly the stuff others are not supposed to do.

Btw I have absolutely no nental health issues, a huge garden and I still go out for a walk or run. Because I want to and because I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

People need to keep active. You walk more then you think in a work day and that’s been taken from people now that they are working from home. Being sedentary is unhealthy. In urban areas, people have to be more careful but people living rurally can easily take walks where they don’t meet anyone.

Jucifer wrote: »
    You do know mentioning mental health doesn’t mean someone has issues or anything. Just like physical health, maintenance is important and exercise is a vital part of maintaining both. Some of the attitudes displayed here regard the mention of mental health are very strange.

I think the overkill of it lately has changed attitudes towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

How do you know that forum member never left the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jazz_jazz

I go for a walk every day and have done with years.

My walk is the absolute highlight of my day since lockdown started. If I didn't get out I would crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Government advice is that brief exercise with 2km of home is fine. If the OP feels strongly enough, it's this advice that (s)he should be looking to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!

Ciara Kelly all over twitter telling everyone to stay home for Easter, don’t travel to holiday homes, how to make DIY face mask and next she has a photo of herself in the park for 100 days of walking or some BS.

If you are one of these people, the 2km per day is not a personal milestone. Stay home and we can get back to normal sooner.

Get a ****ing grip.

No one is infecting anyone going out for a walk while maintaining social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It emmm seems to me you don't have an absolute notion what you are talking about.

People never left the house... Is that the cross your hanging your hat on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have neighbors who never walked up and down my road but they do now because
    There gym is closed.
    Others went to a local woods for a walk but this is no longer an option either.
    So there only option is to walk up and down the road.
    It’s not that they never exercised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

I think the overkill of it lately has changed attitudes towards it.

It may feel like overkill when you don’t experience mental health issues but a lot of people go through a personal hell. Having other acknowledge what they are experiencing and hearing that there is help and support out there can only be positive in my opinion. Anyway I won’t derail the thread any further on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Imagine giving out about people exercising.
    Its one bright spot for me in this sh#tshow. Seeing people taking responsibility and social distancing while walking with kids or taking the dog for a stroll. I take my dog on our local river walk, have done for years and certainly have no intention of stopping now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Plenty of space in Ireland and no reason why people shouldn't go out for their exercise. Someone who goes outside and complains that others are outside must be a very self-involved person indeed.

100%

People seem to have lost their heads to the extent that they think simply passing someone within 2m for a brief moment could leave them critically exposed.

It's not out there floating in the air in deadly quantities..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

I have neighbors who never walked up and down my road but they do now because
    There gym is closed.
    Others went to a local woods for a walk but this is no longer an option either.
    So there only option is to walk up and down the road.
    It’s not that they never exercised.
    Exactly. Gyms are closed. All organised sport is cancelled. So, everyone is out on the streets. So long as they are keeping 2metres away and not coughing/sneezing at the OP, there's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!

Ciara Kelly all over twitter telling everyone to stay home for Easter, don’t travel to holiday homes, how to make DIY face mask and next she has a photo of herself in the park for 100 days of walking or some BS.

Noticed this. I am a regular runner/jogger :o

But people have seen me out for ages. Been indoors the last 2 weeks though ...kinda nervous about going out covid kitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ciara Kelly is a waffler.....loves the sound of her own voice...a plain old GP, who thinks she' some medical marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Get a ****ing grip.

No one is infecting anyone going out for a walk while maintaining social distancing.

The problem is that people are NOT properly social distancing when they are out for their walk. I see it myself. Most people get it but there's a huge amount that don't. Unfortunately we can't trust a lot of people to do the right thing

Mental health is the new get out of jail card.

And long before this pandemic...

The most overused and exaggerated phrase the past 5 years......

• Advertisement

shocksy wrote: »
    I agree with you. The obsession with mental health in this country in recent times has gone out of control. If someone can't stay inside for a couple of weeks without developing mental health issues then there was already something seriously wrong with them prior to the lockdown.

Couldn't agree more......

Advertisement