Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

The problem is that people are NOT properly social distancing when they are out for their walk. I see it myself. Most people get it but there's a huge amount that don't. Unfortunately we can't trust a lot of people to do the right thing
    How do you know they aren't people from the same household?

But, it's true some people aren't getting it. Last night I had to say it to a cyclist to keep 2 metres from me when he passed me on a rural road. It's no big deal. Just say it quietly and people will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I have neighbors who never walked up and down my road but they do now because
    There gym is closed.
    Others went to a local woods for a walk but this is no longer an option either.
    So there only option is to walk up and down the road.
    It’s not that they never exercised.

This is my household exactly. Pre covid I went to a running group, sports class, gym, park and beach to do my exercise. All of that is now not available so I’m walking on running from my front door. Not ideal but I want to keep a base level of fitness and de-stress after a busy day at work (in a hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

walshb wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more......

Youd be wrong. These people you are slagging off are used to spending 14 hours outside their homes daily bar maybe weekends now you in your consummate medical opinion think sticking them inside for 24 hours just works.

Lol copter.

Laughing at this as I'm reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Tickers wrote: »
    Why is it so hard for people to do nothing. For years we’ve been trying to get people off the couch and as soon as they’re told to stay inside they want to go for a jog.

I think it's an Irish trait. "I'm not going to be told"... etc

I've always thought that the most effective way to restore the Irish language would be to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

If people are sticking to a 2km limit, they'll need the car less and will walk more. So there will be more pedestrian traffic.

But I'm curious how you've see all these people walking the dog, or getting coffee if you're staying indoors. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

We have a National Committee comprised of very highly educated and experienced Professionals.

These people accessed the situation and issued their response based on their judgement.

Now you have every malcontent, uneducated and inexperienced anti exercise curtain twitching half wit in the country deciding they know better and seeking to impose their own restrictions.

Unfortunately I have one of these half wits for a neighbour. Leaning on his gate, probably because his under developed legs struggle to hold up his obese torso, as he chain smokes and tells anybody walking by they shouldn't be out.

He is ever so concerned about our health services and yet he won't do a tap or change a habit in order to ensure he himself isn't a drain on them.

Read the instructions issued.
    Obey them. If you don't want to go out whilst obeying the instructions, then do not.
    Otherwise get yourself onto the Covid 19 Emergency Committee - because that is the only way I'm going to pay any heed to your gob****ery

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mellor wrote: »
    If people are sticking to a 2km limit, they'll need the car less and will walk more. So there will be more pedestrian traffic.

But I'm curious how you've see all these people walking the dog, or getting coffee if you're staying indoors. :rolleyes:

He has his drone out just to make sure . From his bedroom window obviously.

Eventually what will happen is we’ll all be ordered back to work but the disease will still be rampant.

We can’t stay on “lockdown” forever. We either get it right or we don’t.

The overwhelming general advice is to stay home. If you’re finding ways to be out and about each day, these measures won’t work as well.

We have a chance to save lives now! Take it.
    Don’t put your own comfort first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

They seem to think that they own the roads and cycle paths too. The amount of idiots running down the middle or on the cycle path just to squeeze a few more milliseconds off for a personal best is ridiculous. 2km is too far. 1km would've been more than enough in cities.

Out in the countryside, my parents live almost exactly 2km from their nearest neighbour. Yet they keep telling me that they see tens of people running or cycling by these days. There's clearly a lot of people not sticking with the rules.

Sounds like OP has neglected to maintain a positive mental health regime. Poor guy. Get out there and get a bit of a sweat going. It'll do wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Got a 13 year old and a 9 year old who are both bored out of their minds and full of pent up energy. We used to drive out to a deserted wood somewhere and ramble around there but can't do it any more, because of the 2km restriction.

So we got for a long walk everyday, and I think it is absolutely necessary and healthy for them. We meet other people on the paths but everybody is careful to walk in single file, make as much distance as possible, step out onto the road when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Some are undoubtedly ripping the piss but for the most part people are obeying the rules when outside. The thing is I've seen some photos of people outside where it's apparent everyone is obeying the distancing rules, but they're being berated online.

Just because there are a number of people in a photo, doesn't mean they're disobeying the distancing rules. You can't win with some people.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This thread makes it very easy to see who is a as$hole.... And we have many contenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Eventually what will happen is we’ll all be ordered back to work but the disease will still be rampant.

We can’t stay on “lockdown” forever. We either get it right or we don’t.

The overwhelming general advice is to stay home. If you’re finding ways to be out and about each day, these measures won’t work as well.

We have a chance to save lives now! Take it.
    Don’t put your own comfort first.

Ok well I think everyone should lock themselves in a single room in their house and not come in contact with anyone, even direct family members living in the same house. It is as valid as your point that people shouldn’t go out at all even to exercise. We have been given instructions on what we can and can’t do. More severe restrictions such as no going outside will be implemented if the health authorities deem it necessary. Right now they are focussed on enforcing existing measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Very easy to avoid people when you go out, just go off peak. Saw four people in total this over about 45minutes. Much more relaxed, more peaceful, and great sunrises at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭plodder

They seem to think that they own the roads and cycle paths too. The amount of idiots running down the middle or on the cycle path just to squeeze a few more milliseconds off for a personal best is ridiculous. 2km is too far. 1km would've been more than enough in cities.

Out in the countryside, my parents live almost exactly 2km from their nearest neighbour. Yet they keep telling me that they see tens of people running or cycling by these days. There's clearly a lot of people not sticking with the rules.
    There's nothing wrong with running or cycling in this situation. Both need to obey the 2 metre rule, and it's up to the person moving faster to move the most. If someone isn't doing it, say it to them. Most people who make a mistake will put their hand up and try to do better next time. This situation is new for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Been reading/watching stories of Jewish people during ww2 who stayed hidden for up to 18 months with entire families in 1 room, filthy, covered in lice and using a pail for elimination which was removed once a day, if, by the people hiding them. No netflix, lack of food etc.

I know it's hard, but we can do this. Walk 20km a day in a loop if you want, read, watch tv, have sex, do yoga - whatever. But we can do it. I know it's easier for say, me, as I live practically on a beach, I get that. Hard if you live in a built up area. But we can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Drop Lidl an email about your experience I'm sure they would be interested. The Lidl I use is nothing like that. Hand sanitizer on the way in. Extra security staff (but they don't do much unless the shop gets busy) extra staff filling shelves, fresh bread all pre bagged, marking all over the shop for distance keeping including at the till. Screens up at the till to protect staff and shoppers plus constant announcements on the tanoy about the current regulations. Only things I thought they could do better were to unlock the trolleys (less need to handle coins) and provide hand sanitizer on the way out.

I feel my experience might be out of date, though I really should have mailed them at the time. I don’t want to check it out either, I’m not usually alarmist, but it felt very risky just being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

seasidedub wrote: »
    Been reading/watching stories of Jewish people during ww2 who stayed hidden for up to 18 months with entire families in 1 room, filthy, covered in lice and using a pail for elimination which was removed once a day, if, by the people hiding them. No netflix, lack of food etc.

I know it's hard, but we can do this. Walk 20km a day in a loop if you want, read, watch tv, have sex, do yoga - whatever. But we can do it. I know it's easier for say, me, as I live practically on a beach, I get that. Hard if you live in a built up area. But we can do it.

The selfishness is some amazes me. We’ve never had so much to do at home and are lucky to be able to walk within 2km etc and for some they insist on breaking guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Wow, this OP is an example of one of the worst traits associated with Irish people demonstrated publicly.

Begrudgery.

If people are following the law, why not just mind your own business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We are comfortably the fittest slimmest country in the world now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I have to go into the office later on (I'm essential services) but Jesus reading this thread I nearly feel bad about leaving the house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D Go to around 1.21 for the rant about runners. Gotta love Italians. I also love that the one guy not waving his arms around has a sign language dude in the corner of the frame, helping him out. Even Italian sign language is more expressive. :D
    lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not out there floating in the air in deadly quantities..
    Actually L it's looking more and more like it is indeed aerosolised and two metres is the minimum safe distance as far as people speaking is concerned, coughing or sneezing and it travels a lot further, heavy breathing that comes with exercise will throw it further than two metres. How much of an actual risk is involved is up in the air(no pun). With the woefully low level of testing and the near complete lack of tracking in this country I doubt we'll be the ones to find out the risks involved, if any.

Personally I have zero issue with people out walking and exercising. It'll definitely help with cabin fever that's for sure and fair enough, though I'd prefer more mask wearing. It's the groups of them huffing and puffing in a bunch where I'm thinking eh wut? Though they're rare enough though to be fair. As others have said I think it's a much bigger issue in urban areas, if it's an issue at all.
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    We have a National Committee comprised of very highly educated and experienced Professionals.

These people accessed the situation and issued their response based on their judgement.
    Hang on C, whatever about exercise... Is this the same "very highly educated and experienced Professionals" that have made screwup after screwup and dilly dallied over protecting our population? Is this the same "very highly educated and experienced Professionals" who have us in the top ten of countries in the world for deaths per million of population, even though we have one of the lowest population densities in the developed world? Those "very highly educated and experienced Professionals"?

I have way more of in issue with too many in shops that are not practising distancing and don't get me started on the halfwits pawing at items on the shelves before making up what passes for their tiny fcuking minds. In my locality anyway that was better observed even a week ago, with shops exercising limits on numbers entering, but latterly that seems to have been dialled right back. Complacency I suppose? So yeah I'd personally feel there's much more of a risk going shopping with the percentage of windowlickers and mouthbreathers in an enclosed space, than being out and about and a jogger passes me by a few metres away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sounds like youre cracking up OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wibbs wrote: »

:D Go to around 1.21 for the rant about runners. Gotta love Italians. I also love that the one guy not waving his arms around has a sign language dude in the corner of the frame, helping him out. Even Italian sign language is more expressive. :D

Actually L it's looking more and more like it is indeed aerosolised and two metres is the minimum safe distance as far as people speaking is concerned, coughing or sneezing and it travels a lot further, heavy breathing that comes with exercise will throw it further than two metres. How much of an actual risk is involved is up in the air(no pun). With the woefully low level of testing and the near complete lack of tracking in this country I doubt we'll be the ones to find out the risks involved, if any.

Personally I have zero issue with people out walking and exercising. It'll definitely help with cabin fever that's for sure and fair enough, though I'd prefer more mask wearing. It's the groups of them huffing and puffing in a bunch where I'm thinking eh wut? Though they're rare enough though to be fair. As others have said I think it's a much bigger issue in urban areas, if it's an issue at all.

Hang on C, whatever about exercise... Is this the same "very highly educated and experienced Professionals" that have made screwup after screwup and dilly dallied over protecting our population? Is this the same "very highly educated and experienced Professionals" who have us in the top ten of countries in the world for deaths per million of population, even though we have one of the lowest population densities in the developed world? Those "very highly educated and experienced Professionals"?

I have way more of in issue with too many in shops that are not practising distancing and don't get me started on the halfwits pawing at items on the shelves before making up what passes for their tiny fcuking minds. In my locality anyway that was better observed even a week ago, with shops exercising limits on numbers entering, but latterly that seems to have been dialled right back. Complacency I suppose? So yeah I'd personally feel there's much more of a risk going shopping with the percentage of windowlickers and mouthbreathers in an enclosed space, than being out and about and a jogger passes me by a few metres away.

I said in deadly quantities. That fact remains true.

The fraction of a second that you're passing by someone isn't going to put you at much risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ShyMets wrote: »
    I have to go into the office later on (I'm essential services) but Jesus reading this thread I nearly feel bad about leaving the house.
    Don't worry, the crazies are in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Very easy to avoid people when you go out, just go off peak. Saw four people in total this over about 45minutes. Much more relaxed, more peaceful, and great sunrises at the moment

We did this last weekend. We (x4) waited until teatime and went for a walk on the local pier. There was one other group on the pier who unfortunately were walking in line abreast stretching from one side to the other and coming towards us. We bunched up on one side to let them do likewise but boy did the ones nearest us begrudge yielding the space for social distancing. You could say they tipped their hats at the concept, but no more than that. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

It’s been turned into an industry and a catch-all excuse for everything and anything.

All this fashionable mental health has done is take away from the people that really have issues.

With all the consumer capitalistic forever achieving economic growth, 50+ years of TV + advertising and virtue signalling and Facebook pic posts and Instagram /social media, there is a view of an 'ideal life' being formed resulting in pressure to achieve/conform/be relevant leading to low self esteem and dissafaction , where any little abberation to this ideal can be viewed as a mental health issue or actually leads to one.
    With all our so called liberal and progressive new found attitudes I find society is marginalizing individuals of abberation. The old 'characters' are quickly dissapearing and the new ones are either doped up on Prozac/benzos/etc to make them 'fit in'. A new and very fruitful industry.....you can't tidy your room/get good grades/progress in your career/do the charity run/make more money etc......you must have mental health issues.....
    My God when I think of the characters of old ......😊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

plodder wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with running or cycling in this situation. Both need to obey the 2 metre rule, and it's up to the person moving faster to move the most. If someone isn't doing it, say it to them. Most people who make a mistake will put their hand up and try to do better next time. This situation is new for everyone.

You do realise that 2m apart isn't a guarantee for anything? It's a finger in the air, least worst regrets guesstimate to minimise risk. Airborne particles can still travel further on the wind etc.

My parents are vulnerable. They are locked in the house and don't come out. Given how far they are from others (1.9km by road from another 1 off dwelling) they shouldn't see anyone. They could theoretically enjoy their garden but for the clowns running and cycling past, spitting and huffing and puffing as they go by, breaking the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Jucifer wrote: »
    I am at home all day every day with the exception of a walk of maybe 5k, in a loop within 2km of my house as allowed under current restrictions. I don’t go near anyone on walk and give more than 2m distance when passing. I won’t be changing that routine for physical and mental health reasons.
    If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

Before any of this happened I would walk minimum 5 and usually 7+km/day. I work from home and have done for 30 years. Part of my routine by way of a break from the books and to refresh is a lunchtime walk of around 3km then an evening walk of 3-5k.

I had been reducing time out as this situation started to develop and haven't been in a shop in a month. But once the instruction came out I have limited it to one walk in the evening of approx. 45 minutes well within the 2km limit and taking the route where I am least likely to come anywhere near others. Thankfully this is possible given where I live.

The last few weeks have been particularly stressful. As an accountant in practice dealing with client issues at this time is difficult and that 45 minutes walk is the only exercise outside the house I get at present. Believe me when I say it helps your mental state.

Advertisement