Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Use your brain here like a good person.
    1) All gyms are closed.
    2) All fitness classes are cancelled.
    3) All sports and training is cancelled.
    4) People cannot travel to their favourite spots like the beach, river walks, parks to do jogging due to the 2KM rule
    5) People are layed off work and need to get out of the house even for a walk or they will crack up.
    6) People can't socialize so need something else to do.
    7) Once they are practicing social distancing it's fine
    8) You obviously live in Dublin if it annoys you this much, Rest of country isn't really affected
    9) Exercise is one of the best ways to help ease bad anxiety and depression.
    10) If you don't like it stay as home.
    11) People can't just stare at four walls all day, particularly when out of work
    12) Schools are also closed so parents might need a break from their kids

The way your thinking is that anyone that exercises has a mental health issue or only out because of the virus. Your an absolute idiot.

A strong opening post!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Stopped into Aldi in Longwood on my way home from Athlone yesterday around 5, no queue, wipe down station without gloves (not that hung uo in gloves as they're worse imo) shop was pretty quiet, maybe 8 other trolleys in there, all well distances (though it's clearly 'unusual' for some), stock wise fruit seems to be scarce but they did have anti-bact cleaner, haven 't seen that in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You do realise that 2m apart isn't a guarantee for anything? It's a finger in the air, least worst regrets guesstimate to minimise risk. Airborne particles can still travel further on the wind etc.

My parents are vulnerable. They are locked in the house and don't come out. Given how far they are from others (1.9km by road from another 1 off dwelling) they shouldn't see anyone. They could theoretically enjoy their garden but for the clowns running and cycling past, spitting and huffing and puffing as they go by, breaking the rules.

This is so amazing I had to read it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That's exactly what south Africa are doing

It's not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Tickers wrote: »
    If everyone adopts the attitude as you then what’s the point. Mental Health my eye. You never left the house until two weeks ago and suddenly your mental health is at risk if you don’t go outside.

Ah stop, there are plenty of people go walking routinely, just cause your a lazy **** that doesn't walk. Doesn't mean everyone else should be deprived of it.

"You never left the house until 2 weeks ago" Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Got a great exercise bike few years back from a charity shop, i stored it in the shed I'm, getting great use out of it at the moment. Thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

If people could stop tarring everyone with the same brush, that would be a step in the right direction. If you have been in a hibernation for the past X amount of weeks/months, more power to you. This should be an easy situation for you.

Personally, I live in a shoebox sized bedsit, with my office 3 feet away from my bed. Before lockdown, I walked to and from work every day (4km) would go for an evening run (4-6km) and play football once a week.

My partner lives in Swords, 16km from my house, and we are staying apart and adhering to the rules. I am only going to supermarkets once every two weeks. Forgive me if I want to go outside in the evening after work to stretch my legs and get some air into my lungs. I keep my distance from anyone I encounter. Some people are going on like I would go outside my front door and instantly start projectile coughing onto the nearest person, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

richie_os wrote: »
    If people could stop tarring everyone with the same brush, that would be a step in the right direction. If you have been in a hibernation for the past X amount of weeks/months, more power to you. This should be an easy situation for you.

Personally, I live in a shoebox sized bedsit, with my office 3 feet away from my bed. Before lockdown, I walked to and from work every day (4km) would go for an evening run (4-6km) and play football once a week.

My partner lives in Swords, 16km from my house, and we are staying apart and adhering to the rules. I am only going to supermarkets once every two weeks. Forgive me if I want to go outside in the evening after work to stretch my legs and get some air into my lungs. I keep my distance from anyone I encounter. Some people are going on like I would go outside my front door and instantly start projectile coughing onto the nearest person, get a grip.

You monster, you should stay locked in your cave to protect all the boggers and suburbanites who are dining al fresco in their gardens every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I was watching the BBC this morning and this question came up.

The expert replied to a question about joggers and said that the chances of getting infected in the open air are negligible, even if someone brushes past you.
    If they pass with over a metre and are not in contact, the chances of infection are zero.

Going to an enclosed area like a supermarket is infinitely more dangerous than being outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I can see how it can be difficult and contentious in urban areas, many of my colleagues are saying the surburbs in Limerick can be quite busy with foot traffic in the evening and that is making them a little nervous.

I'm lucky in that I'm in a rural area and will encounter at most one or two when I go for a walk. In fairness many appreciate the situation - we (wife and 2 kids in strollers) were walking along the right side of a road one evening with a jogger approaching from behind. When he was about 30-40 metres behind us he crossed the road to the left side, overtook us and then a little distance later he crossed back over. Fair play to him.

I have an office job and working from home now. My steps throughout the working day are terrible at the moment - the distance to the bathroom, coffee and lunch is much less at home than in the office. Even with effort I'm moving much less so I do like to get out in the evenings.

Unfortunately a lot of this comes down to common sense and courtesy which not everyone has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

marilynrr wrote: »
    You know that gyms etc. are closed right? Many people have had to stop going to all of their classes and so need to fill the void with some other exercise.

Also where people might have headed up the mountains for a walk, or to a park a few miles away, they are all now staying close to home.

Some people need some form of exercise for their own personal wellbeing. If you don't - then by all means sit on your arse all day.

Of all the complaints I've seen about social distancing the OPs is the complainiest.

Unfortunately a lot of this comes down to common sense and courtesy which not everyone has.

And a sizeable minority outdoors don't have them - some are definitely all about Number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

shocksy wrote: »
    I agree with you. The obsession with mental health in this country in recent times has gone out of control. If someone can't stay inside for a couple of weeks without developing mental health issues then there was already something seriously wrong with them prior to the lockdown.

Lovely. Lockdown lovers, also victim blaming people suffering with mental health issues. Surely if they were suffering before, getting out is beneficial for them, then AND NOW. If you're worried about catching the virus, stay inside, and let those who are following government advice look after their own health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Being sedentary is unhealthy. In urban areas, people have to be more careful but people living rurally can easily take walks where they don’t meet anyone.

Correct. Nothing will stop me running/walking where I live. I am in a very rural area and hardly meet a soul when I go out running, walking or cycling. I try my best not to spew virus laden saliva all over the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Lovely. Lockdown lovers, also victim blaming people suffering with mental health issues. Surely if they were suffering before, getting out is beneficial for them, then AND NOW. If you're worried about catching the virus, stay inside, and let those who are following government advice look after their own health.

Well consider the mental health effects of joggers panting in people’s faces etc. Personal distancing isn’t possible in all urban areas.

If you live in a rural area, go out and jog all you like but if you live somewhere like where I do (Rathmines), stay the **** at home.

I have relatives with underlying conditions who I want to protect, and if I get infected while buying their medications and groceries, they’re as good as dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well consider the mental health effects of joggers panting in people’s faces etc. Personal distancing isn’t possible in all urban areas.

If you live in a rural area, go out and jog all you like but if you live somewhere like where I do (Rathmines), stay the **** at home.

I have relatives with underlying conditions who I want to protect, and if I get infected while buying their medications and groceries, they’re as good as dead.

Well then it's up to you to make sure you don't infect them. You can't expect the whole Rathmines to be locked inside just because you worry about your relatives.

I also live in Rathmines and it's quite simple to stay distanced from people. You cannot catch this virus from walking past somebody. You are more likely to catch it from someone touching a loaf of bread in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,621 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would hae gone to the gym every day, so i've replaced that with jogging 5.5km (handy loop round where I live) in the morning and doing some relatively low weight exercise at home, and I've had no issue distancing jogging.

I keep an eye out for people, I jog on the hard shoulder/verge of the road (opposite direction to traffic) where there is either plenty of room or, in the tighter bits, where these is someone walking on the path.

I'm getting irritated by it not getting any easier though! three or four weeks I've been doing this and my i'm getting no quicker or less tired. ITS BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

richie_os wrote: »
    I also live in Rathmines and it's quite simple to stay distanced from people. You cannot catch this virus from walking past somebody. You are more likely to catch it from someone touching a loaf of bread in the supermarket.

I haven't encountered joggers panting in my face in Rathmines either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!
    I think 17 degrees and wall to wall sunshine yesterday might have something to do with people wanting to get out and about.
    If you're healthy and under 60ish get out and enjoy the weather!

• Advertisement

I haven't encountered joggers panting in my face in Rathmines either.

I have gone for jogs myself, and if it's a case where a group of people are walking 2 or 3 abreast and not forming a line (which would be the polite thing to do) I go into the cycle lane, or slow down and stop until such a time that I can move into the cycle lane. It's never been an issue.

Some of the comments about mental health in here are disgraceful too. I'm not doing it to keep my body in shape, im doing is so that I dont crack up. I havent interacted with another human being in weeks. There are bigger thing to worry about than people safely getting their 15 mins of exercise every day.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well then it's up to you to make sure you don't infect them. You can't expect the whole Rathmines to be locked inside just because you worry about your relatives.

Locked inside unless you need to pick up essential supplies like groceries or medicine.

I mainly have a bone to pick with people jogging on the main street which is especially stupid. Find an empty football field within 2km or stay at home.

Locked inside unless you need to pick up essential supplies like groceries or medicine.

I mainly have a bone to pick with people jogging on the main street which is especially stupid. Find an empty football field within 2km or stay at home.

Why is someone jogging on the main street an issue? People are allowed out to exercise within 2km of their home once they're maintaining their distance and that's usually the case if they're on the street, which is the case for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I have never seen so much pedestrian traffic in my life. Everyone out and about going for a walk, take away coffee, pushing the stroller, walking the dog, kids in toe.

We couldn’t get people out of the house and now there is a restriction we can’t keep them in!

Ciara Kelly all over twitter telling everyone to stay home for Easter, don’t travel to holiday homes, how to make DIY face mask and next she has a photo of herself in the park for 100 days of walking or some BS.

If you are one of these people, the 2km per day is not a personal milestone. Stay home and we can get back to normal sooner.

Drama Queen, Stop curtain twitching and get some exercise as per the guidelines. I do feel lazy people are using the stay indoors at all times line to justify said laziness.

Why is someone jogging on the main street an issue? People are allowed out to exercise within 2km of their home once they're maintaining their distance and that's usually the case if they're on the street, which is the case for the most part.

They’re not on the street, they’re on the narrow footpath of a busy street, where the queues for pharmacies stretch down the street. It’s appalling.

They’re not on the street, they’re on the narrow footpath of a busy street, where the queues for pharmacies stretch down the street. It’s appalling.

Not in my experience.

Not in my experience.

Great, good for you, how wonderful that your life is more problem free than my own. I’ll bet you don’t have a daughter with CF either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You know most pharmacies will do deliveries if someone in the house has a serious illness. They are doing this for my Dad

Great, good for you, how wonderful that your life is more problem free than my own. I’ll bet you don’t have a daughter with CF either?

I understand the reasons you are worried, and it must be a very trying time for you as a result. I would just suggest that you dont let the hysteria get in on you, boards isn't a good place for that. It has been confirmed the world over that you can't catch this virus from people walking, running past you. It is transmitted from surfaces, spending 15 minutes in close proximity to people who are infected, or cough/sneeze droplets. Even if someone going past you were to brush off you, you wouldn't be infected.

Try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. But you also need to be able to leave your house and feel some degree of comfort. Don't let the hysteria win.

• Advertisement

I do appreciate your concern - I have siblings with an underlying condition - but you want people who are allowed to exercise within the guidance given to be locked up based on saying that joggers are panting in people's faces, which isn't happening en masse, which is what you seem to be implying.

Advertisement